Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

Anti-Wii bias?

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By HandsomeDead
    Al3xand3r said:
    "So, has anyone noticed the huge announcements and awesome videos on any of the mainstream websites yet? Not just being uploaded on the likes of GameTrailers and GameVideos and YouTube but actually a coverage of the event and some separate news reports for each new game announced/seen and some actual discussion going on by decent professional journalists. I've only seen it covered by sites like gonintendo.com and some lackluster coverage by Kotaku. Random forums don't count as coverage, not quite as mainstream as say, GameSpy.com or whatever.

I just thought it's a fitting observation with the topic title, if it was a Sony event once again showing clips of Killzone 2 and Little Big Planet and Fallout 3 and Home and whatever else, they'd probably have 4-5 related lengthy articles dissecting the games and any little bits of information on their front pages already.

Now we get so much Nintendo information in so little time with stuff that can be dissected into a huge amount of new game announcements and shorter video clips per game in so little time, even games we've known of but they have yet to be reported by most websites anyway (like Arc Rise Fantasia) and what do they do, they upload it on their video services and leave it at that.

Gee, thanks for being objective media overlords. All that's been discussed is the friggin DSi at best, like that was all they had to show. Even here on Giant Bomb all they have is a DSi article and they make a passing note of the games showcase video being on another website at the end of the article. Doubleyou, Tea, Ef?!"
    Do the amount of people who give a shit about a new Punch-Out or Sin and Punishment 2 even compare to those who care about Fallout 3 and LittleBigPlanet? I can't see it matching. Similarly, with Nintendo's new outlook on gaming with, as Arkthemaniac put it here, a greater emphasis on how you play rather than what you play, the problem is all in Nintendo's hands.
    Earthbounder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#102  Edited By Earthbounder
    HandsomeDead said:
    "Al3xand3r said:
    "So, has anyone noticed the huge announcements and awesome videos on any of the mainstream websites yet? Not just being uploaded on the likes of GameTrailers and GameVideos and YouTube but actually a coverage of the event and some separate news reports for each new game announced/seen and some actual discussion going on by decent professional journalists. I've only seen it covered by sites like gonintendo.com and some lackluster coverage by Kotaku. Random forums don't count as coverage, not quite as mainstream as say, GameSpy.com or whatever.

I just thought it's a fitting observation with the topic title, if it was a Sony event once again showing clips of Killzone 2 and Little Big Planet and Fallout 3 and Home and whatever else, they'd probably have 4-5 related lengthy articles dissecting the games and any little bits of information on their front pages already.

Now we get so much Nintendo information in so little time with stuff that can be dissected into a huge amount of new game announcements and shorter video clips per game in so little time, even games we've known of but they have yet to be reported by most websites anyway (like Arc Rise Fantasia) and what do they do, they upload it on their video services and leave it at that.

Gee, thanks for being objective media overlords. All that's been discussed is the friggin DSi at best, like that was all they had to show. Even here on Giant Bomb all they have is a DSi article and they make a passing note of the games showcase video being on another website at the end of the article. Doubleyou, Tea, Ef?!"
    Do the amount of people who give a shit about a new Punch-Out or Sin and Punishment 2 even compare to those who care about Fallout 3 and LittleBigPlanet? I can't see it matching. Similarly, with Nintendo's new outlook on gaming with, as Arkthemaniac put it here, a greater emphasis on how you play rather than what you play, the problem is all in Nintendo's hands."
    You guys always complain when Nintendo fans bring up sales numbers in gaming discussions and now you are talking about quantity when comparing LittleBigPlanet (awesome game) and Fallout 3 with Nintendo's recently announced games. That doesn't seem right!
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By HandsomeDead
    Earthbounder said:
    "HandsomeDead said:
    "Al3xand3r said:

Do the amount of people who give a shit about a new Punch-Out or Sin and Punishment 2 even compare to those who care about Fallout 3 and LittleBigPlanet? I can't see it matching. Similarly, with Nintendo's new outlook on gaming with, as Arkthemaniac put it here, a greater emphasis on how you play rather than what you play, the problem is all in Nintendo's hands."
    You guys always complain when Nintendo fans bring up sales numbers in gaming discussions and now you are talking about quantity when comparing LittleBigPlanet (awesome game) and Fallout 3 with Nintendo's recently announced games. That doesn't seem right!"
    Sales numbers are different to the amount of people looking forward to a game. You just have to look at the Wii attach rates for that. Plus, like I say, a huge part of this is Nintendo's fault, not the fans or the media.
    Earthbounder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By Earthbounder

I don't see much of a difference since once the game is released the amount of people looking forward to it will generate sales numbers.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#105  Edited By RHCPfan24

I think the Wii is good but no where near as powerful or full of quality as 360 or PS3.  I like it, just not that much.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By HandsomeDead
    Earthbounder said:
    "I don't see much of a difference since once the game is released the amount of people looking forward to it will generate sales numbers."
    Precisely my point. No one really cares about Wii games. In the Wii Charts this week, the highest new release that is actually worth a damn is Star Wars: Force Unleashed, there's a lot of generic shovelware including Big Beach Sports at 5 in the chart and Wii Fit, something that isn't even a game, at number 1. That being said, in the all formats chart Wii Fit and Mario Kart Wii are numbers 2 and 3 and then Wii Play at 7 and Big Beach Sports a bit further down which strikes me as the consumer for Wii products being people who either don't see the Wii as a gaming platform, franchise diehards and people just desperate for something to play on their barren system.
    JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 2

#107  Edited By JonathanMoore

Who cares if the Wii isn't powerful, i sure don't. What i do care about is the fact that the only game i ever played properly on the Wii is Mario Galaxy, and that it hardly has any good games.

Earthbounder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By Earthbounder
    HandsomeDead said:
    "Earthbounder said:
    "I don't see much of a difference since once the game is released the amount of people looking forward to it will generate sales numbers."
    Precisely my point. No one really cares about Wii games. In the Wii Charts this week, the highest new release that is actually worth a damn is Star Wars: Force Unleashed, there's a lot of generic shovelware including Big Beach Sports at 5 in the chart and Wii Fit, something that isn't even a game, at number 1. That being said, in the all formats chart Wii Fit and Mario Kart Wii are numbers 2 and 3 and then Wii Play at 7 and Big Beach Sports a bit further down which strikes me as the consumer for Wii products being people who either don't see the Wii as a gaming platform, franchise diehards and people just desperate for something to play on their barren system."
    Well, I care about Wii games. The fact that the number of casuls outnumbers the hardcore gamers is no secret to anyone and that is what makes some shovelware titles sell over one million copies. But there are also people who only buy quality software like Galaxy, Brawl, Corruption, Okami, Zack and WIki, Boom Blox, Mario Kart Wii, De Blob, Wario Land and others, however most of these are bound to sell less than casual games. It is easy to assume that the consumer for Wii products being people who either don't see the Wii as "a gaming platform, franchise diehards and people just desperate for something to play on their barren system" because that is what charts show, they show the current tendency and the Wii is a platform whose audience is basically consisted of that but you have got to remember that there are also plenty of "hardcore gamers", like you guys love to say, and some companies are not forgetting it.
    BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#109  Edited By BoG

I must disagree Earthbounder, many companies are forgetting what gamers care about. The truth is that games like Okami, Zack & Wiki, and others are selling poorly on the Wii. The games that appeal to gamers don't make money, while Carnival Games rakes in the profit. Sure, a few companies may still try to appeal to us, but as time goes on, the problem will only get worse. Companies give the people what they will buy, and on Wii, that happens to be shovelware. The almighty dollar dictates what we get, and when the highest quality Wii games don't make a dime, why would any company want to make more?

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin
    Vaxadrin said:
    "Al3xand3r said:

you just got Al3xand3r'ed
    you just got Al3xand3r'ed
    "

caption
    caption
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By HandsomeDead
    BoG said:
    "I must disagree Earthbounder, many companies are forgetting what gamers care about. The truth is that games like Okami, Zack & Wiki, and others are selling poorly on the Wii. The games that appeal to gamers don't make money, while Carnival Games rakes in the profit. Sure, a few companies may still try to appeal to us, but as time goes on, the problem will only get worse. Companies give the people what they will buy, and on Wii, that happens to be shovelware. The almighty dollar dictates what we get, and when the highest quality Wii games don't make a dime, why would any company want to make more?"
    This. And what's worse is that while reading this, it makes me wonder about the future of the Wii and video games in general. With the focus more on profit than quality, surely the bottom has to drop out of the market as the people who the companies pander to while making shovelware lose interest and move on to other things.
    BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By BoG
    HandsomeDead said:
    "BoG said:
    "I must disagree Earthbounder, many companies are forgetting what gamers care about. The truth is that games like Okami, Zack & Wiki, and others are selling poorly on the Wii. The games that appeal to gamers don't make money, while Carnival Games rakes in the profit. Sure, a few companies may still try to appeal to us, but as time goes on, the problem will only get worse. Companies give the people what they will buy, and on Wii, that happens to be shovelware. The almighty dollar dictates what we get, and when the highest quality Wii games don't make a dime, why would any company want to make more?"
    This. And what's worse is that while reading this, it makes me wonder about the future of the Wii and video games in general. With the focus more on profit than quality, surely the bottom has to drop out of the market as the people who the companies pander to while making shovelware lose interest and move on to other things."
    This is why I think a greater emphasis must be put on people like Cliffy B, Miyamoto, and Kojima. I think it is a good thing that Kojima has his name on games, and more need to follow. The gaming industry needs faces to sell games, just as hollywood actors sell movies. You can make a new, original concept for a movie and sell it by casting Tom Hanks in the movie industry. In the VG industry, this is much more challenging. You can't make a new concept for, say, and action game, and put Mario in the leading role. It simply doesn't fit. However, you can get a concept for a new mystery adventure title, put Cliffy B at the head, and it can fit. If people know who makes games, know their names and learn their work, the gaming industry can evolve.  We won't have the restraints that popular characters put on the success of originality.
    BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin
    BoG said:
    "This is why I think a greater emphasis must be put on people like Cliffy B, Miyamoto, and Kojima. I think it is a good thing that Kojima has his name on games, and more need to follow. The gaming industry needs faces to sell games, just as hollywood actors sell movies. You can make a new, original concept for a movie and sell it by casting Tom Hanks in the movie industry. In the VG industry, this is much more challenging. You can't make a new concept for, say, and action game, and put Mario in the leading role. It simply doesn't fit. However, you can get a concept for a new mystery adventure title, put Cliffy B at the head, and it can fit. If people know who makes games, know their names and learn their work, the gaming industry can evolve.  We won't have the restraints that popular characters put on the success of originality."

Famous franchise characters are the "Actors" of the game world, not the lead designers. Plastering Mario or Master Chief's heads on a game is comparable to "selling" a Hollywood movie using Tom Hanks, Tom Cruise, etc.

Putting Kojima or Cliffy B's name on a game is like a hugely watered-down version of putting Spielberg's name on a movie promo poster, except far fewer people would care.

People care who they'll be seeing in the latest movie because they'll be staring at him/her for the two hours they're in the theater. The vast majority of people who play games don't care about who the man behind the curtain is when it comes to the games they're playing, they care what character they're controlling - not the man who conjured up the character. 

The vast majority of people who buy Epic's games don't give a shit about Cliffy B, and they never will.
    BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By BoG

Bliff, you almost get what I am saying. That needs to change. We can't have the celebrities of the game world be Mario and master Chief if we want originality to sell, we need companies to put an emphasis on the designers.

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin

The problem is only a tiny ultra-enthusiast demographic would care about such people, and that will never change even if a huge amount of effort was put into thrusting designers into the industry limelight. Hollywood putting an enormous emphasis on actors when marketing movies works wonderfully - a huge portion of the Hollywood audience cares about them. People mass together and scoop up magazines that center around stalking celebrities, and read websites that do the same. For the vast majority of people buying video games there is complete lack of interest in the teams involved in the creation of the games, designers just aren't universally marketable. It is impossible to control who is deemed to be the "celebrities" of the gaming world (as in, it'll always be the characters.) Epic could put heaps of money into marketing Cliffy B (and the constant sheen of grease that covers his face) and the vast majority of people buying Gears 2 would ignore it - it would be a huge waste of money.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By Al3xand3r

Try seeing the post times before trying to insult me, also get help for your obsession with me. Neither the  Punch Out nor the Wii lineup demonstration video and not even the Nintendo presentation itself  had their own report when I said that even Giant Bomb haven't given these the attention they deserve. Fixing their mistake doesn't mean it wasn't made in the first place so why attempt to insult me for pointing out what was, at the time, a mere observation of a fact?"

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#117  Edited By brukaoru

Biff, too true. This ties into a bit of why I get so upset when staff credits are taken out of a game. Some people will ask why it bothers me so much, some ask me "does it really matter?" Yes, it does, to me. I agree that many people don't care about who makes their games, they just care about if it's good or not. I find that be pretty sad.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Al3xand3r
    BiffMcBlumpkin said:
    the usual obsessive with me bullshit, not even responding to anything I say
    3 seconds? Really? You DO have a problem with checking the time then. As I pointed out before, they mention the Punch Out video in the end of their DSi report so it had nothing to do with not being aware of that media at the time or not having enough time to write up a report so where's the logic in that? After all, we had a forum thread about it with pages of replies, and it wasn't the only one. All I said was that it wasn't a good way to deliver such information (no, I never called anyone an asshole, you're the one trying to insult people) and you attempt to insult me for that, even though the Giant Bomb staff apparently agree since they gave that game its own news report afterwards (and no, before you start again, I'm not implying I had any effect on that decision). Get help for your obsession with me.
    Knives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 9

#119  Edited By Knives
    HandsomeDead said:
    "'Anti-Wii bias'? How about just saying a lot of people don't like it. Saying bias is as if there's an ulterior motive when instead, it's just a lot of people find it to be too much like a toy and extremely gimmicky."
    It's the idea that people go out of their way not to like it. There is this ultra-cynicism surrounding the Wii that really isn't fair.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By HandsomeDead
    Knives said:
    "HandsomeDead said:
    "'Anti-Wii bias'? How about just saying a lot of people don't like it. Saying bias is as if there's an ulterior motive when instead, it's just a lot of people find it to be too much like a toy and extremely gimmicky."
    It's the idea that people go out of their way not to like it. There is this ultra-cynicism surrounding the Wii that really isn't fair."
    It's just an equal and opposite reaction to everyone who claims it's an innovation and the future of gaming.
    BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin
    sidescroller said:
    "The Wii is great when you find out about homebrew..."
    Yeah, you really do have to be loaded to enjoy it.
    Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#122  Edited By Randolph
    Al3xand3r said:
    The Wii only gets the most crap games because it gets the most games period. Thanks to its popularity, it's the PS1 or PS2 of this generation. Still, rating good games badly, or not even bothering to review the Wii versions, or not even mentioning new games at all, is inexcusable."
    Except that the PS1 and PS2, for a fact, had the most great games as well.  The Wii doesn't, it's the best selling console, with the worst overall library of games.  Thats a negative trend that can lead to a severe dip in quality.  As for the lack of coverage, well, not many of these sites readers give two craps about the shovelware the Wii gets every day.  Just the occasional third party game and the Nintendo stuff, so thats all that gets covered, and much like on the GC, those are few and far between.
    Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#123  Edited By Vaxadrin
    BiffMcBlumpkin said:
    "sidescroller said:
    "The Wii is great when you find out about homebrew..."
    Yeah, you really do have to be loaded to enjoy it."
    Knives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Knives
    HandsomeDead said:
    "Knives said:
    "HandsomeDead said:
    It's the idea that people go out of their way not to like it. There is this ultra-cynicism surrounding the Wii that really isn't fair."
    It's just an equal and opposite reaction to everyone who claims it's an innovation and the future of gaming."
    Well, it is. We don't really expect to be using analog sticks and D-pads for the next couple of decades, do we?
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By Al3xand3r
    Randolph said:
    "Al3xand3r said:
    The Wii only gets the most crap games because it gets the most games period. Thanks to its popularity, it's the PS1 or PS2 of this generation. Still, rating good games badly, or not even bothering to review the Wii versions, or not even mentioning new games at all, is inexcusable."
    Except that the PS1 and PS2, for a fact, had the most great games as well.  The Wii doesn't, it's the best selling console, with the worst overall library of games.  Thats a negative trend that can lead to a severe dip in quality.  As for the lack of coverage, well, not many of these sites readers give two craps about the shovelware the Wii gets every day.  Just the occasional third party game and the Nintendo stuff, so thats all that gets covered, and much like on the GC, those are few and far between."
    That would be your own subjective, biased opinion, not an industry fact as my simple comment you quote was. Besides, you're the type of person who visits only these types of sites so If people like you don't know of good games, it's because, as the complaint made by this thread was, they aren't reported, or they're rated less than they're worth and whatever else. It's simple to figure out.

Basically, the likes of you are the reason this thread was made and that kind of attitude only confirms the positive answer to the original topic. Duh.
    CronoSquall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By CronoSquall
    Knives said:
    Well, it is. We don't really expect to be using analog sticks and D-pads for the next couple of decades, do we?"
    They still work better than the Wiimote and nunchuck, so why not?  People don't replace working engines that run great almost all the time with experimental engines that only work half the time or less.  The wiimote is a first experimental step that has had extremely mixed results, and uneven at best application in games.  It's not the all encompassing controller replacement it was hyped up to be.  The Wii's best game, Brawl, is best played with a GC controller.  That says an awful lot about whether or not the wiimote is the future of gaming.  While on the subject of Brawl, anyone else find it funny that for years now nintendo fans have talked down games on PS3 and 360 as being the same games from last gen with a new coat of paint, yet they regard Brawl, which is exactly that, as the best game on the system, and tend to play it the most overall?
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By HandsomeDead
    Knives said:
    "HandsomeDead said:
    "Knives said:
    "HandsomeDead said:
    It's just an equal and opposite reaction to everyone who claims it's an innovation and the future of gaming."
    Well, it is. We don't really expect to be using analog sticks and D-pads for the next couple of decades, do we?"
    Why not? It's served us well for decades and from what I have seen, there is no way that Wiimote style controls will ever be more useful than a traditional pad. I mean, if I want to play Call of Duty 4, I want to play it with a pad, I don't want to sit there holding my pad up to the screen as if it's an actual gun and if i'm not holding it up like a gun, what's the point in having the motion controls?
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Al3xand3r

Well, it would be your own opinion that it is the best game on the Wii, wouldn't it? Maybe you can make a thread about that, "What's the best Wii game" and see all the different responses you'll get before sprouting things like that as a fact. The beat em up genre is about the only thing the wii remote + nunchuck combo can't do right, unless it's a very simplistic game. Anything else works equally well (see Zelda and Super Mario Galaxy) or much much better (see Metroid Prime 3). Seeing as most modern games these days are either first or third person shooters, it has that down perfectly, while it does include enough functionality to have more traditional games like Megaman 9 and Star Soldier R (can't get more traditional than those). The beat em up genre is its only weakness (remedied by the classic controller anyway)  to counter its much more important strengths, which is why you make that claim about Brawl anyway.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#129  Edited By Randolph
    Al3xand3r said:
    "Randolph said:
    "Al3xand3r said:
    Except that the PS1 and PS2, for a fact, had the most great games as well.  The Wii doesn't, it's the best selling console, with the worst overall library of games.  Thats a negative trend that can lead to a severe dip in quality.  As for the lack of coverage, well, not many of these sites readers give two craps about the shovelware the Wii gets every day.  Just the occasional third party game and the Nintendo stuff, so thats all that gets covered, and much like on the GC, those are few and far between."
    That would be your own subjective, biased opinion, not an industry fact as my simple comment you quote was. Besides, you're the type of person who visits only these types of sites so If people like you don't know of good games, it's because, as the complaint made by this thread was, they aren't reported, or they're rated less than they're worth and whatever else. It's simple to figure out.

Basically, the likes of you are the reason this thread was made and that kind of attitude only confirms the positive answer to the original topic. Duh."
    You sir, have serious issues.  I would engage you in the usual overglorified internet slap fight of get the last word in that makes up your entire post history, but I am not retarded, so I cannot.
    Knives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By Knives
    CronoSquall said:
    "Knives said:
    They still work better than the Wiimote and nunchuck, so why not?  People don't replace working engines that run great almost all the time with experimental engines that only work half the time or less.  The wiimote is a first experimental step that has had extremely mixed results, and uneven at best application in games.  It's not the all encompassing controller replacement it was hyped up to be.  The Wii's best game, Brawl, is best played with a GC controller.  That says an awful lot about whether or not the wiimote is the future of gaming.  While on the subject of Brawl, anyone else find it funny that for years now nintendo fans have talked down games on PS3 and 360 as being the same games from last gen with a new coat of paint, yet they regard Brawl, which is exactly that, as the best game on the system, and tend to play it the most overall?"
    I don't agree that Brawl is the Wii's best game. Not by a long shot. Barely in my top 5, maybe. Who thinks Brawl is the best game on the system? Stop making stuff up. Everyone knows Brawl is just Melee with a new coat of paint. That doesn't mean it's not awesome, though. Imagine refined Wii Motion+, imagine HD graphics. That is the future.
    Knives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By Knives
    HandsomeDead said:
    "Knives said:
    "HandsomeDead said:
    "Knives said:
    "HandsomeDead said:
    Why not? It's served us well for decades and from what I have seen, there is no way that Wiimote style controls will ever be more useful than a traditional pad. I mean, if I want to play Call of Duty 4, I want to play it with a pad, I don't want to sit there holding my pad up to the screen as if it's an actual gun and if i'm not holding it up like a gun, what's the point in having the motion controls?"
    A keyboard and mouse is more precise and accurate than firing a weapon in real life will ever be. Does that mean it's a more authentic experience? Does that mean it's more fun, fulfilling, and satisfying? No.
    CronoSquall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By CronoSquall
    Knives said:
    Everyone knows Brawl is just Melee with a new coat of paint. That doesn't mean it's not awesome, though. Imagine refined Wii Motion+, imagine HD graphics. That is the future."
    Yet any game that is just more of the same with a new coat of paint on the 360 and PS3 is maligned by this crowd as a cancer killing the industry by suffocating creativity and innovation.  But it's ok when Nintendo does it.  Hypocrisy.
    Knives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By Knives
    CronoSquall said:
    "Knives said:
    Everyone knows Brawl is just Melee with a new coat of paint. That doesn't mean it's not awesome, though. Imagine refined Wii Motion+, imagine HD graphics. That is the future."
    Yet any game that is just more of the same with a new coat of paint on the 360 and PS3 is maligned by this crowd as a cancer killing the industry by suffocating creativity and innovation.  But it's ok when Nintendo does it.  Hypocrisy."
    That's kind of the chicken or the egg arguement. Xbox360/PS3 fanboys accuse Nintendo of doing nothing but rehashing old games, then Nintendo fanboys respond that all next-gen games are just HD last gen games. It's a vicious circle that never ends.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By HandsomeDead
    Knives said:
    "HandsomeDead said:
    "Knives said:
    "HandsomeDead said:
    "Knives said:
    "HandsomeDead said:
    Why not? It's served us well for decades and from what I have seen, there is no way that Wiimote style controls will ever be more useful than a traditional pad. I mean, if I want to play Call of Duty 4, I want to play it with a pad, I don't want to sit there holding my pad up to the screen as if it's an actual gun and if i'm not holding it up like a gun, what's the point in having the motion controls?"
    A keyboard and mouse is more precise and accurate than firing a weapon in real life will ever be. Does that mean it's a more authentic experience? Does that mean it's more fun, fulfilling, and satisfying? No."
    Authenticism doesn't make games fun, fullfilling or satisfying and even if it did, Wii style controls does not go any further in changing that. Instead, it will just make things a lot more awkward as you'll know if you've ever tried to play an FPS on the Wii.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By Al3xand3r
    Randolph said:
    You sir, have serious issues.  I would engage you in the usual overglorified internet slap fight of get the last word in that makes up your entire post history, but I am not retarded, so I cannot."
    Such irony. If you had stopped before posting that, you might have been able to give the impression of having an actual case. You just had to let the world know though so, as it is, stopping posting after I point out that you just did what you unfairly accuse me of isn't going to cut it I'm afraid.

Of course I'll still enjoy the peace and quiet so feel free to do that anyway.
    Knives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Knives
    HandsomeDead said:
    "Knives said:
    "HandsomeDead said:
    "Knives said:
    "HandsomeDead said:
    "Knives said:
    "HandsomeDead said:
    A keyboard and mouse is more precise and accurate than firing a weapon in real life will ever be. Does that mean it's a more authentic experience? Does that mean it's more fun, fulfilling, and satisfying? No."
    Authenticism doesn't make games fun, fullfilling or satisfying and even if it did, Wii style controls does not go any further in changing that. Instead, it will just make things a lot more awkward as you'll know if you've ever tried to play an FPS on the Wii."
    It's got a learning curve, but any new control method does. I don't think the Wii controls in their current form are better than a control pad, but they have significantly more potential, like we see with stuff like MotionPlus.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By HandsomeDead
    Knives said:
    "HandsomeDead said:
    "Knives said:
    "HandsomeDead said:
    "Knives said:
    "HandsomeDead said:
    "Knives said:
    "HandsomeDead said:
    Authenticism doesn't make games fun, fullfilling or satisfying and even if it did, Wii style controls does not go any further in changing that. Instead, it will just make things a lot more awkward as you'll know if you've ever tried to play an FPS on the Wii."
    It's got a learning curve, but any new control method does. I don't think the Wii controls in their current form are better than a control pad, but they have significantly more potential, like we see with stuff like MotionPlus."
    There shouldn't be a learning curve though if they are that intuitive. After all, the emphasis is always on pick up and play with the Wii stuff. Even with Wii MotionPlus, there's going to be huge problems. Say something is happening behind you, do you have to turn all the way around to get the extra realism that comes with acting out the moves of the character? If not, the system is useless because it's only going half way.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By Al3xand3r

Post like what? I don't exactly fall to the level of obsession over people who happen to think differently, enough to save their pictures and link them 50 times per thread, sometimes with an attempt at an argument but more often than not with nothing but an attempt to take the focus off the discussion. That's for your friends to do as displayed here. Nice to know what kind of discussions you're into though, systemwars eh? That explains a lot I guess, if it can be judged by the name at least, I don't go to that forum or whatever it is myself. If the name is misleading then I guess I apologise for that particular mention.

CronoSquall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By CronoSquall
    Al3xand3r said:
    Besides, you're the type of person who visits only these types of sites so If people like you don't know of good games, it's because, as the complaint made by this thread was, they aren't reported, or they're rated less than they're worth and whatever else. It's simple to figure out.

Basically, the likes of you are the reason this thread was made and that kind of attitude only confirms the positive answer to the original topic. Duh."
    You heard it here first, kids.  The Wii actually has the best games lineup, but you don't know that because of a vast media conspiracy against Nintendo.  The PS2 had "hidden power", now the Wii has an entire hidden library of games.  Amazing.
    BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin

Sarah Palin actually endorsed that quote before she opposed it.

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By Vaxadrin

Really?  I heard that she maverick maverick special needs freedom in Iraq white flag of maverick surrender freedom.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By Al3xand3r
    HandsomeDead said:
    There shouldn't be a learning curve though if they are that intuitive. After all, the emphasis is always on pick up and play with the Wii stuff. Even with Wii MotionPlus, there's going to be huge problems. Say something is happening behind you, do you have to turn all the way around to get the extra realism that comes with acting out the moves of the character? If not, the system is useless because it's only going half way."
    So a person who plays a FPS with a 360 or PS3 controller for the first time is going to be great at it? Especially if he was used to a different control method previously, like say, a PC mouse? At least I know I was good at FPS-esque controls on the Wii in no time thanks to my experience with PC games (even if it's not identical), I can't say the same for when the analogue sticks were first introduced though, even though I had been using a gamepad up until that point (I only got a PC around 2000).
    BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin
    Vaxadrin said:
    "Really?  I heard that she maverick maverick special needs freedom in Iraq white flag of maverick surrender freedom."
    The difference between Alexander and Sarah Palin's baby is Alexander's finger magnum.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By HandsomeDead
    Al3xand3r said:
    "HandsomeDead said:
    There shouldn't be a learning curve though if they are that intuitive. After all, the emphasis is always on pick up and play with the Wii stuff. Even with Wii MotionPlus, there's going to be huge problems. Say something is happening behind you, do you have to turn all the way around to get the extra realism that comes with acting out the moves of the character? If not, the system is useless because it's only going half way."
    So a person who plays a FPS with a 360 or PS3 controller for the first time is going to be great at it? Especially if he was used to a different control method previously, like say, a PC mouse? At least I know I was good at FPS-esque controls on the Wii in no time thanks to my experience with PC games (even if it's not identical), I can't say the same for when the analogue sticks were first introduced though, even though I had been using a gamepad up until that point (I only got a PC around 2000)."
    Well, yeah. Just this week i've started playing Call of Duty 4 with a friend who just got Xbox LIVE after years of avoiding FPS games and focusing on beat 'em ups and he's taken to it perfectly. The first time I used the FPS style controls on the Wii I found it was amazingly imprecise and totally lame as the controls felt very lightgun like and having to use either one controller to move and turn or one controller to move and the other to turn just feels like a step back in terms of gameplay and general gaming comfort.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By Al3xand3r

A step back? It's what PC games have been doing for years, they're hardly behind in terms of FPS titles... They even lack the analogue movement the stick adds to the equation so PC controls are inferior to the Wii in that way, though they do the pointing a little better than the Wii to counter that, though of course you then have the flat surface limitation so it's not all black or white when discussing that.

Anyway, if nothing else comes out of this discussion you can at least see that there are examples different to your personal experiences...

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By Vaxadrin

Biff do you think this guy's for real, or are we all getting Al3xand3r'd?

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By HandsomeDead

I've never been a fan of PC games so i'm not going to sit here and defend them but using a mouse and a keyboard is much better than holding two plastic toys and waggling them at the screen. Even for comfort like I said. One good example of that is Twilight Princess. Moving my wrist to slash rather than pushing a button made that game no better, instead it just got tedious and I can't see any other game changing that, no matter if it's 1:1 or not.

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin

I don't know but everytime someone posts the picture I throw all of my money onto my desk in front of the computer screen because I think I'm being robbed by a scary douche.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#149  Edited By Rowr

still going huh?  You mutherfuckas are persistent.

Obligatory Wii pic
    Obligatory Wii pic

Knives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By Knives
    HandsomeDead said:
    Most games are pick-up-and-playable. Warioware is always pretty intuitive as to what you're suppose to do. That doesn't change the fact that with more advanced games like Metroid Prime it's going to take a bit of practice to be comfortable with it. I don't know how MotionPlus will work. From what I've seen of Wii Sports Resort, the possibilities seem pretty cool, as well as intuitive.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.