Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

Do you hope the Wii U plays DVD movies?

RJay_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By RJay_64

I'm one of those people that doesn't have a stand alone DVD player. I don't like buying multiple devices. If the Wii U can play games and movies, that would be perfect for me.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Vonocourt

@RJay_64 said:

I'm one of those people that doesn't have a stand alone DVD player. I don't like buying multiple devices. If the Wii U can play games and movies, that would be perfect for me.

You don't have a DVD player...yet? Like wut?

EDIT: Afraid I came off as too much of a pompous prick, I'm fine with slightly being one, but I was afraid that crossed the line.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#3  Edited By AgentJ

It'll surely do netflix, but I would be shocked if it supported dvd or blu-ray playback. 

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By TheGreatGuero
    @AgentJ said:
    It'll surely do netflix, but I would be shocked if it supported dvd or blu-ray playback. 
    I think AgentJ nailed it on the head. At this point, though, I don't see why they wouldn't include it. I mean, I doubt the cost would still be a concern. Though truthfully, it might just be too late for them to even bother.
    Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By Hizang

Nobody does not have some form of playing DVD's in this day and age, you are just a crazy person. I'd wager your the sort of person that is also hoping that the Wii U plays CD's..

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By ryanwho

If it doesn't play VHS Im not fucking buying it nyah.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Hizang

Banjo-Kazooie VHS Tape Dawg! 

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TheGreatGuero
    @Hizang: Whoa, what is that?! Why does Mumbo look like he's totally buggin' out? Did he just get flashed by Gruntilda??
    Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Hizang
    @TheGreatGuero said:
    @Hizang: Whoa, what is that?! Why does Mumbo look like he's totally buggin' out? Did he just get flashed by Gruntilda??

A promotional VHS that you could obtain through Nintendo Power, or hey, YouTube. It even shows footage of what Conkers Bad Fur Day was originally supposed to be! 

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#10  Edited By ReyGitano

Holy crap, it didn't occur to me that someone wouldn't have a DVD player yet... Buy an old PS2 or something? That's crazy. Even my dad, being as old and anti-technology as he is, has had a DVD player for years.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TheGreatGuero
    @Hizang: Twelve Tales: Conker 64, huh? Interesting. It probably would have sold horribly.
    geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By geirr

Now if it played 9mm that'd be something.

pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By pot

Sure why not, any modern console should play DVDs.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MrKlorox

No. Besides DVDs are pretty much obsolete anyways, unless you're still using an SD display.

If you're looking for a DVD player, drop 25 bucks at Walmart or whathaveyou and get a stand alone one on the cheap.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By mariokart64fan

wow after 10 freakin yrs you havent bought a dvd player yet , lol dont suprise me i guess we got some of these people who -- stick to vhs for so long just for the you know what tapes haha

do you got a 360 ps3 or ps2 xbox 1 ? im pretty sure you even got A PC WITH A DVD PLAYER , why do we need 10 freakin dvd players , seriously this is getting out of hand ,

if any thing wiiu will go strieght to net flix just like wii 3ds did dvds are out dated any way in fact the only time i buy a dvd is if its a combo pack or for cheap at a pawn shop , , last dvd combopack= spooky buddies

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jack268

Uh... You guys who are going "HURR Y U NO BUY DVD PLAYER"... You do realize your PC, your 360, your PS3 and your PS2 all play them right? I don't see any reason at all to blow $100 on a dedicated one. As for @RJay_64: Nintendo doesn't have a license for it or some shit which is why the Wii doesn't play them, so I'd be surprised if the Wii U does. I don't care though, because I have a PC with a DVD reader.

LetsRockBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By LetsRockBaby

There's like, 8 things in my house that can play DVDs. I couldn't give less of a shit.

SmilingPig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SmilingPig

Knowing Nintendo it will only play Optical betamax discs.

killerneub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By killerneub

@AgentJ said:

You would be shocked?? It's games will run on DVD's, so why not support the playback of DVD movies? I'll be shocked if it doesn't. Especially with it's focus being on Japanese consumers, and the fact they usually lean towards the console that plays media as well.

'

And, ya I have a dvd player or 2, but that's just more space and another remote to keep track of, so it just makes things more simple.

boboblaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By boboblaw

No don't give a shit about a DVD player or a Blue Ray player.

If you seriously need one of these still and bitch about it when the WiiU comes out then just go out and buy one. I'm sure you can get one for like 15 pounds/bucks

misterhaan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By misterhaan

my dvd player is an xbox. if the wii plays dvds but still doesn't support digital audio i'll keep using the xbox. i'll probably keep using the xbox anyway since it also plays the tv shows my computer in the basement records.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#22  Edited By AgentJ

@killerneub said:

@AgentJ said:

You would be shocked?? It's games will run on DVD's, so why not support the playback of DVD movies? I'll be shocked if it doesn't. Especially with it's focus being on Japanese consumers, and the fact they usually lean towards the console that plays media as well.

'

And, ya I have a dvd player or 2, but that's just more space and another remote to keep track of, so it just makes things more simple.

Let's look at Nintendo's recent history. The gamecube used a proprietary format, and unlike its competitors, didn't play disc-based movies. The Wii used a proprietary fromat, and unlike its competitors, didn't play disc-based movies. Japan loved both consoles regardless of their inability to play dvds, and with movies increasingly moving to digital-only, Nintendo would probably be wasting money bothering to include something so redundant.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By NTM

If it's going to play movies, I wouldn't want it to just play DVD's, but rather blu-ray. I can't stand standard def movies.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By mariokart64fan

ill say it again nintendo makes gaming consoles not dvd players! you want a dvd player their only like 50 bucks or less at walmart, and im sure you got a ps2 by now,

and just look at ps3s situation , ---- many people who own a ps3 actually used it as a bluray player when it first came out , ,

and that being rich people i do not want the wiiu to cost 600 dollars because of some useless movies! that i can watch already on other devices sorry wii u is going to be a dedicated gaming platform minus netflix , , that would be your way of watching movies and i still could care less, i buy game consoles to play games not watch movies on them !

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By kingzetta

Can't you just buy a DVD player for like 15 bucks now anyways?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.