Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

New Budget Range for Nintendo Wii In Japan

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks

No Caption Provided
    Nintendo are rolling out "Everyone's Recommendation Selection" ('Minna no Osusume Selection"), a budget label from Nintendo for Wii.    

This is no normal budget line, why is this no normal budget line?, well because only games that score Gold, Silver and Bronze on the Japanese Nintendo Channel are included.  Currently, that means 75 Wii titles qualify for this range. 

On February 25th, Nintendo will be releasing the following from the current selection of 75, all of them third party games:

¥2,800 per game...I'm so getting 428 now.    

The Nintendo page doesn't state whether this is a long term promotion. It's also unknown whether the West will have a similar budget line based on the same system.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Al3xand3r

Flashy covers.

Synthballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Synthballs

I'd like a similar thing in Australia. Might make me use it.

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Godwind

Of course, Nintendo of America has no interest in bringing back player's choice.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By oldschool
    @Synthballs said:
    " I'd like a similar thing in Australia. Might make me use it. "
    Whilst I use mine a lot, Nintendo have always been poor at executing the "budget" range, especially in Australia.  I like the look of this and it should be rolled out in the west as well.
    Synthballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Synthballs
    @Godwind: Which is sad. I can do down and pick up Kameo for 30 Bucks right now new? But A Launch title on Wii is still a stupid price. Nintendo need to pick up its game with...well...its games...I'd like to also see it extend to the DS. Can't tell me that they haven't already profited majorly off of something like Animal Crossing : WW or New SMB. Bring the prices down to like 30 or something. Get new buyers in. Sony have always had the right idea going with its "Platinum" range and to an extent Microsoft with its Classics. (Is it classics?) 

Anyway cut to the quick, I think they're losing themselves more money not bringing this west.
    Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Godwind
    @Synthballs said:
    " @Godwind: Which is sad. I can do down and pick up Kameo for 30 Bucks right now new? But A Launch title on Wii is still a stupid price. Nintendo need to pick up its game with...well...its games...I'd like to also see it extend to the DS. Can't tell me that they haven't already profited majorly off of something like Animal Crossing : WW or New SMB. Bring the prices down to like 30 or something. Get new buyers in. Sony have always had the right idea going with its "Platinum" range and to an extent Microsoft with its Classics. (Is it classics?)  Anyway cut to the quick, I think they're losing themselves more money not bringing this west. "
    Personally I would like to see the return on the player's choice for my own mere budget.  Although Nintendo probably sees there current method much more profitable.  The current method enforces the iron laws of value.

Also, Sony has the Greatest Hits line up and Microsoft has the platinum range.
    Synthballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Synthballs
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By demontium

gimmick.

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Godwind
    @Synthballs said:
    " @Godwind:  

The Platinum Range is a Sony PlayStation budget range in the PAL regions, notably Europe (including the United Kingdom and Ireland), AustraliaNew ZealandIndia, and Africa. A similar budget range in the North American market is known as the Greatest Hits label.

Thankyou Wikipedia. Didn't know it had a different name in different territories.  "
    Localization sucks.  I hate shit like this.

@demontium said:
    " gimmick. "

You're a gimmick.
    jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By jeffgoldblum

It takes up way too much of the cover of games.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Emilio
    @JeffGoldblum:  
    That's the price you must pay for not buying the game earlier.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Al3xand3r

The new cover is a paper sleeve, inside is the standard box with no extra indicators that it's a budget re-release.

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By jeffgoldblum
    @Emilio said:
    " @JeffGoldblum:  That's the price you must pay for not buying the game earlier. "
    I don't re-release covers, but it would be nice if the banners weren't bigger than the original cover of the game.
    The5th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By The5th

Hmm, the way I understood the news of this, is that Nintendo is trying to get attention to games that have reviewed well and haven't sold like they should have. Not really budget titles like "Platinum Hits" or "Players Choice" but games that deserve better sales and didn't get enough advertising and got favorable reviews all around, hence the whole "Gold, Silver and Bronze" labels. It's a good idea to bring attention to 3rd party titles that are great and deserve to sell.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @The5th said:
    " Hmm, the way I understood the news of this, is that Nintendo is trying to get attention to games that have reviewed well and haven't sold like they should have. Not really budget titles like "Platinum Hits" or "Players Choice" but games that deserve better sales and didn't get enough advertising and got favorable reviews all around, hence the whole "Gold, Silver and Bronze" labels. It's a good idea to bring attention to 3rd party titles that are great and deserve to sell. "

They're all being sold at a budget price, so they are part of a budget range.
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By demontium
    @Godwind: your.... your moms a gimmick?
    Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Godwind
    @demontium said:
    " @Godwind: your.... your moms a gimmick? "
    Don't mistake mine for yours.
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By Snail

Nice, a great marketing move from Nintendo I must admit. Are they brining it over to the Western World?

nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By nanikore

Ugly covers.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.