Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

Rpgs released so far?

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

I'm having a hard time finding a list of rpgs released on the wii since its launch, if any one could help, or point me to an all ready established and accurate list.
    Much prefer ones released in america or pal, since i dont read japanese.
    thanks in advance.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#2  Edited By AgentJ

There hasn't been a lot. In fact, there's probably more coming out this year than there has in the 4 years prior. 
    Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World. 
    Final Fantasy Chrystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers 
    Paper Mario 

Those are the only ones I know of off the top of my head. There's also stuff like Secret of Mana on the VC.

Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Ryax

paper mario is so god damn amazing, but i must say the thousand year door is my favorite

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

yeah i should add actual Wii releases no VC stuff, Wii ware stuff is fine but no VC.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Meowayne

Fire Emblem is a sRPG and probably the only really worthwhile one. 2010 is the year of the Wii RPG releases.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By oldschool
    Baroque  - not very good.  
    Opoona - very niche (I like it).Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World    - traditional RPG (I enjoyed it) 
    Dokapon Kingdom    -  an RPG/board game hybrid (supposedly okay) 
    Rune Factory: Frontier - RPG/sim (awesome, if you like Harvest Moon).  
     Valhalla Knights: Eldar Saga - horrible.  
    Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn    -  SRPG (a must have if you like strategy) 
    Code Lyoko: Quest for Infinity    -  Action/RPG mainly for the kids 
    Super Paper Mario    -  awesome if you like SPM. 
    Dragon Quest Swords: The Mask Queen and the Tower of Mirrors    - Action RPG, but an acquired taste and not great. 
    Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon    - really very good and thoroughly enjoyable. 
    Muramasa: The Demon Blade    - Action RPG and a must have. 
    Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time    - works with DS version, an average action RPG. 
    Phantom Brave: We Meet Again    - remake of PS2 game and very good, TBS RPG. 
    Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers - need to be a fan of FF.  
    ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By ThomasP
    @WilliamRLBaker said:
    " yeah i should add actual Wii releases no VC stuff, Wii ware stuff is fine but no VC. "
    All the best RPG's are on the VC. I don't see why you would cut that out of your options.
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Willy105
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By oldschool
    @Willy105 said:
    " @oldschool said:
    "Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers - need to be a fan of FF.   "
    Crystal Bearers is not an RPG, it's an action game. "
    That is one of those "is it  or isn't" ones, like Final Fantasy XII Revenant Wings on the DS.  Some call it an action RPG and some an action adventure.  It goes back to the old argument of what an RPG is and I am not going to have that one.  People can make their own mind up, but not  having played it, I am figuring it is far less RPG than usual.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#10  Edited By Hailinel

In addition to the above listed, Arc Rise Fantasia was released on the Wii in Japan last year and is due for a release in the U.S. this year.  Capcom is releasing Monster Hunter Tri in a few months in a special Classic Controller Pro bundle, NIntendo has their own RPG coming out in Japan, Xenoblade, that whose relese date is still TBD in the U.S.  Same goes for Mistwalker's The Last Story.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#11  Edited By Hailinel
    @oldschool said:
    " @Willy105 said:
    " @oldschool said:
    "Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers - need to be a fan of FF.   "
    Crystal Bearers is not an RPG, it's an action game. "
    That is one of those "is it  or isn't" ones, like Final Fantasy XII Revenant Wings on the DS.  Some call it an action RPG and some an action adventure.  It goes back to the old argument of what an RPG is and I am not going to have that one.  People can make their own mind up, but not  having played it, I am figuring it is far less RPG than usual. "
    Crystal Bearers is really more action-adventure than RPG.  Though I haven't played it myself, I've read other people's thoughts on the game that have, and it's apparently only ten or so hours long.
    Alex_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Alex_V

Muramasa as an RPG is a bit of a stretch tbh. It's probably strictly for kids, but The Dog Island is an RPG and not too bad imo. Obviously Zelda is missing from the lists so far as well.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AgentJ
    @Alex_V said:
    " Muramasa as an RPG is a bit of a stretch tbh. It's probably strictly for kids, but The Dog Island is an RPG and not too bad imo. Obviously Zelda is missing from the lists so far as well. "
    There's a simple explanation for that. Zelda =/= RPG.
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    @ThomasP said:
    " @WilliamRLBaker said:
    " yeah i should add actual Wii releases no VC stuff, Wii ware stuff is fine but no VC. "
    All the best RPG's are on the VC. I don't see why you would cut that out of your options. "
    probably cause i own most of those games or owned them at one time all ready.
    ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ThomasP
    @WilliamRLBaker said:
    " @ThomasP said:
    " @WilliamRLBaker said:
    All the best RPG's are on the VC. I don't see why you would cut that out of your options. "
    probably cause i own most of those games or owned them at one time all ready. "
    Makes sense, but if you haven't played either Super Mario RPG, or Secret of Mana; you should definitely check those out.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#16  Edited By Claude
    @WilliamRLBaker:  When did you get a Wii? I thought the Wii was dead to you.
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    @Claude said:
    " @WilliamRLBaker:  When did you get a Wii? I thought the Wii was dead to you. "
    I had a Wii since launch, then 9 or so months after that i sold it then i was able to pick one up for 100 dollars a year or so after that, then someone wanted a hacked system cause they couldn't hack theirs so they returned it for a brand new retail unit, and i gave them the hacked system. and i got a brand new retail Wii in the deal.  *got the deal cause some gamecube games dont work on hacked systems, and action replay doesn't work*

now that i've found out those gamecube games do work now, and the acton replay didn't work because of wii updates *and datel refuses to replace mine with a working one for free though it's gurantee'd for my version to work on their site*  I've hacked it again, and am wondering what rpgs have been released since i've been out of the loop, Rpgs are my true passion in games, and even when i had the hacked wii before i never touched the system cause there was nothing of interest.   

@ThomasP
    LOL id have had to be under a rock to not have played those, I owned secret of mana and Super mario rpg for the snes for a long time till i sold em, Though i am hoping to play secret of mana again with the fusoya text hack that generally cleans up all the text in the game so its not inane and fixes the font they used so stuff looks better.
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Willy105
    @Hailinel said:
    "Crystal Bearers is really more action-adventure than RPG.  Though I haven't played it myself, I've read other people's thoughts on the game that have, and it's apparently only ten or so hours long. "
    Length has nothing to do with it being an RPG. Can be 30 minutes long, if your character levels up and that respective improvement helps it's character be better at gameplay, it's an RPG.
    ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ThomasP
    @WilliamRLBaker said:
    " @Claude said:
    " @WilliamRLBaker:  When did you get a Wii? I thought the Wii was dead to you. "
    @ThomasP LOL id have had to be under a rock to not have played those, I owned secret of mana and Super mario rpg for the snes for a long time till i sold em, Though i am hoping to play secret of mana again with the fusoya text hack that generally cleans up all the text in the game so its not inane and fixes the font they used so stuff looks better. "
    Yeah, I had them growing up, but my games were sold in a yard sale without my consent. I picked up Super Mario RPG from the VC and that game holds up nicely. Soon enough I'll have Secret of Mana, as well.
    apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By apathylad
    @oldschool said:
    " Baroque  - not very good.  
    Opoona - very niche (I like it). Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World    - traditional RPG (I enjoyed it) 
    Dragon Quest Swords: The Mask Queen and the Tower of Mirrors    - Action RPG, but an acquired taste and not great. 
    Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon    - really very good and thoroughly enjoyable. 
    Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time    - works with DS version, an average action RPG. 
    Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers - need to be a fan of FF.   "
    You forgot about Little King's Story. I haven't played it, but I've heard good things from the game.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By oldschool
    @Apathylad said:   
    "You forgot about Little King's Story. I haven't played it, but I've heard good things from the game. " 

I didn't think about that, as it is more and RTS, but I suppose it has RPG elements.  The game is freakin' awesome though.  One of my favourite games on the Wii.
    ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @oldschool said:
    "Phantom Brave: We Meet Again    - remake of PS2 game and very good, TBS RPG. 
    Whoa I have never heard of this game until right now, I am so sad I missed out on this, looks awesome. I need to get it asap, <3 oldschool
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By oldschool
    @Zenaxzd said:
    " @oldschool said:
    "Phantom Brave: We Meet Again    - remake of PS2 game and very good, TBS RPG. 
    Whoa I have never heard of this game until right now, I am so sad I missed out on this, looks awesome. I need to get it asap, <3 oldschool "
    As must I.  It isn't that expensive, but I keep finding something else to buy.  Don't want it to go out of print first.
    Alex_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Alex_V
    @AgentJ said:
    "Zelda =/= RPG. "
    I don't know that symbol, but I assume you're saying Zelda is not an RPG. Or at least, Twilight Princess is not. I disagree. I think Twilight Princess, and many of the more recent Zelda games, have far more in common with standard RPGs than many of the games on the lists in this thread.

It does get harder and harder to nail down a specific genre for so many modern games though. I would even argue that a game like Endless Ocean has strong RPG elements.

Little Kings Story, on the other hand, has very few imo.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By AgentJ
    @Alex_V said:
    " @AgentJ said:
    "Zelda =/= RPG. "
    I don't know that symbol, but I assume you're saying Zelda is not an RPG. Or at least, Twilight Princess is not. I disagree. I think Twilight Princess, and many of the more recent Zelda games, have far more in common with standard RPGs than many of the games on the lists in this thread.  It does get harder and harder to nail down a specific genre for so many modern games though. I would even argue that a game like Endless Ocean has strong RPG elements.  Little Kings Story, on the other hand, has very few imo. "
    The symbol is an equal sign with a slash through it, which in math designates "not equal'.  
     So why exactly would you say Zelda is an RPG?  
    Little King's Story is an RPG much in the same vein as the Harvest Moon, Animal Crossing, or Pikmin games. 
    Alex_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Alex_V
    @AgentJ said:
    " @Alex_V said:
    " @AgentJ said:
    "Zelda =/= RPG. "
    I don't know that symbol, but I assume you're saying Zelda is not an RPG. Or at least, Twilight Princess is not. I disagree. I think Twilight Princess, and many of the more recent Zelda games, have far more in common with standard RPGs than many of the games on the lists in this thread.  It does get harder and harder to nail down a specific genre for so many modern games though. I would even argue that a game like Endless Ocean has strong RPG elements.  Little Kings Story, on the other hand, has very few imo. "
    The symbol is an equal sign with a slash through it, which in math designates "not equal'.   So why exactly would you say Zelda is an RPG?  Little King's Story is an RPG much in the same vein as the Harvest Moon, Animal Crossing, or Pikmin games.  "
    It doesn't matter too much what we class anything. I would say that many Zelda games have quest structures, main storylines alongside side concerns, strong senses of exploration, and game worlds that are very similar to the classic idea of an RPG. They don't have the standard levelling and xp and same level of object interaction, but that is very much in line with Miyamoto's philosophy anyway imo - he wouldn't make an RPG with those elements.

My take on the original Zelda was that it was a reaction to the popular RPGs from the West (Ultima, Wizardry) iterated into a workable action-based NES title. You can see it in the structure of the game - explorable, dungeons / hub world, 'items/upgrades', and the RPG sense of freedom.

Little Kings Story has levelling I think, and some lovely story touches, but there's nothing about the actual play that reminds me of an RPG at all. It's much closer to the RTS structure of Empire building and troop combat. And I think Pikmin is pretty much the same but much more action-oriented.
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Willy105

Zelda is not an RPG. It's an adventure game.

Little King Story is not an RPG. It's a Real Time Strategy game.

Metroid Prime is not an FPS. It's an adventure game in first person.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By AgentJ
    @Alex_V said:

" @AgentJ said:

" @Alex_V said:
    " @AgentJ said:
    "Zelda =/= RPG. "
    The symbol is an equal sign with a slash through it, which in math designates "not equal'.   So why exactly would you say Zelda is an RPG?  Little King's Story is an RPG much in the same vein as the Harvest Moon, Animal Crossing, or Pikmin games.  "
    It doesn't matter too much what we class anything. I would say that many Zelda games have quest structures, main storylines alongside side concerns, strong senses of exploration, and game worlds that are very similar to the classic idea of an RPG. They don't have the standard levelling and xp and same level of object interaction, but that is very much in line with Miyamoto's philosophy anyway imo - he wouldn't make an RPG with those elements. My take on the original Zelda was that it was a reaction to the popular RPGs from the West (Ultima, Wizardry) iterated into a workable action-based NES title. You can see it in the structure of the game - explorable, dungeons / hub world, 'items/upgrades', and the RPG sense of freedom. Little Kings Story has levelling I think, and some lovely story touches, but there's nothing about the actual play that reminds me of an RPG at all. It's much closer to the RTS structure of Empire building and troop combat. And I think Pikmin is pretty much the same but much more action-oriented. "
    So, using your logic, Assassin's Creed is an RPG as well? It has quest structures, main and side storylines, and lots of exploration. As far as the game world matching the "classic idea of an RPG", that throws out numerous fantastic games, including Persona, The World Ends With You, and hundreds of others, not to mention it suddenly makes games like God of War contenders for RPG awards. By your logic, Zelda would be an RPG while Star Fox Adventures, a clear rip off of the formula, would not be. What world a game is based in should have no bearing on its genre. I find your logic flawed.  
    The Zelda games have more in line with Grand Theft Auto. You explore a big world, go on missions, get weapon upgrades, have firefights while riding in cars/on horses, go on fetch quests, and, most importantly of all, there's no leveling. Zelda is an action adventure series.
    Alex_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Alex_V
    @AgentJ said:
    So, using your logic, Assassin's Creed is an RPG as well? It has quest structures, main and side storylines, and lots of exploration. As far as the game world matching the "classic idea of an RPG", that throws out numerous fantastic games, including Persona, The World Ends With You, and hundreds of others, not to mention it suddenly makes games like God of War contenders for RPG awards. By your logic, Zelda would be an RPG while Star Fox Adventures, a clear rip off of the formula, would not be. What world a game is based in should have no bearing on its genre. I find your logic flawed.  The Zelda games have more in line with Grand Theft Auto. You explore a big world, go on missions, get weapon upgrades, have firefights while riding in cars/on horses, go on fetch quests, and, most importantly of all, there's no leveling. Zelda is an action adventure series. "
    Amazingly, I blogged earlier today that I felt Assassin's Creed 2 was more of an RPG than Mass Effect 2. Small world. As you say, it has a lot of the things that I associate with standard RPGs that Mass Effect 2 has jettisoned since the first game.

You rightly point out that JRPGs can offer many different experiences. There's no need to throw out any experience. The classic idea of an RPG came from the west though in the early 80s. Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest were both Western-influenced series, especially at their beginnings. JRPG can mean many things now as you say. I'm not saying RPGs can't be linear, or contain all sorts of different game types. The World Ends With You has the sense of an explorable world, and at least a partial sense of freedom within reason - it has a fair bit in common with Zelda in that respect.

GTA clearly took on board aspects of RPGs - there's absolutely no doubt about that. Lots of games have, from Gran Turismo to Call Of Duty 4. This idea that everything falls neatly into a clear 'type' no longer works at all. There is also no world-acknowledged definition of what classifies a game as an RPG or otherwise, so it is interesting to read different opinions on where we feel certain games fall. For example I've played the whole of Muramasa without even considering the fact that it could be labelled an RPG. And Harvest Moon is an interesting hybrid, hard to classify at all.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By AgentJ
    @Alex_V said:
    " @AgentJ said:
    So, using your logic, Assassin's Creed is an RPG as well? It has quest structures, main and side storylines, and lots of exploration. As far as the game world matching the "classic idea of an RPG", that throws out numerous fantastic games, including Persona, The World Ends With You, and hundreds of others, not to mention it suddenly makes games like God of War contenders for RPG awards. By your logic, Zelda would be an RPG while Star Fox Adventures, a clear rip off of the formula, would not be. What world a game is based in should have no bearing on its genre. I find your logic flawed.  The Zelda games have more in line with Grand Theft Auto. You explore a big world, go on missions, get weapon upgrades, have firefights while riding in cars/on horses, go on fetch quests, and, most importantly of all, there's no leveling. Zelda is an action adventure series. "
    Amazingly, I blogged earlier today that I felt Assassin's Creed 2 was more of an RPG than Mass Effect 2. Small world. As you say, it has a lot of the things that I associate with standard RPGs that Mass Effect 2 has jettisoned since the first game. You rightly point out that JRPGs can offer many different experiences. There's no need to throw out any experience. The classic idea of an RPG came from the west though in the early 80s. Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest were both Western-influenced series, especially at their beginnings. JRPG can mean many things now as you say. I'm not saying RPGs can't be linear, or contain all sorts of different game types. The World Ends With You has the sense of an explorable world, and at least a partial sense of freedom within reason - it has a fair bit in common with Zelda in that respect. GTA clearly took on board aspects of RPGs - there's absolutely no doubt about that. Lots of games have, from Gran Turismo to Call Of Duty 4. This idea that everything falls neatly into a clear 'type' no longer works at all. There is also no world-acknowledged definition of what classifies a game as an RPG or otherwise, so it is interesting to read different opinions on where we feel certain games fall. For example I've played the whole of Muramasa without even considering the fact that it could be labelled an RPG. And Harvest Moon is an interesting hybrid, hard to classify at all. "
    I wouldn't say Assassin's Creed 2 is more of an RPG than Mass Effect 2. To me, the most important aspect of an RPG is a leveling system. Every RPG I have ever played had a constant character progression (rather than gaining a new item that allows you to access a new area while keeping the same base stats). Zelda, like as you astutely mentioned with Grand Theft Auto, has elements that are seen in RPGs, but that doesn't make it an RPG. I mean, if we are going to consider games like Assassin's Creed or Grand Theft Auto to be RPGs, then the Adventure genre ceases to exist. 
    Alex_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Alex_V
    @AgentJ said:
    I wouldn't say Assassin's Creed 2 is more of an RPG than Mass Effect 2. To me, the most important aspect of an RPG is a leveling system. Every RPG I have ever played had a constant character progression (rather than gaining a new item that allows you to access a new area while keeping the same base stats). Zelda, like as you astutely mentioned with Grand Theft Auto, has elements that are seen in RPGs, but that doesn't make it an RPG. I mean, if we are going to consider games like Assassin's Creed or Grand Theft Auto to be RPGs, then the Adventure genre ceases to exist.  "
    The levelling system is a good rule of thumb I agree. But is it a necessity or is it just dominant because the key game in the development of RPGs (D&D) had it? Most table-top RPGs have levelling, but some do not. And the same with the games. Ultima Online had skills, but no xp, no classes and no levelling. I'm pretty sure Dungeon Master in 1987 had no levelling.

Anyway, my general feeling is that rigid definitions of game genres have become totally pointless nowadays. So many games have RPG elements in them, and RPGs are so diverse themselves - whether we call them RPGs, or hybrids, or games with RPG elements, it doesn't matter too much I think.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By AgentJ
    @Alex_V said:
    " @AgentJ said:
    I wouldn't say Assassin's Creed 2 is more of an RPG than Mass Effect 2. To me, the most important aspect of an RPG is a leveling system. Every RPG I have ever played had a constant character progression (rather than gaining a new item that allows you to access a new area while keeping the same base stats). Zelda, like as you astutely mentioned with Grand Theft Auto, has elements that are seen in RPGs, but that doesn't make it an RPG. I mean, if we are going to consider games like Assassin's Creed or Grand Theft Auto to be RPGs, then the Adventure genre ceases to exist.  "
    The levelling system is a good rule of thumb I agree. But is it a necessity or is it just dominant because the key game in the development of RPGs (D&D) had it? Most table-top RPGs have levelling, but some do not. And the same with the games. Ultima Online had skills, but no xp, no classes and no levelling. I'm pretty sure Dungeon Master in 1987 had no levelling.  Anyway, my general feeling is that rigid definitions of game genres have become totally pointless nowadays. So many games have RPG elements in them, and RPGs are so diverse themselves - whether we call them RPGs, or hybrids, or games with RPG elements, it doesn't matter too much I think. "
    Yes, genres these days are constantly being picked apart and scavenged for their good qualities. That said, with nearly every game you can look at the core and see what it started out as, what its base genre is. At its core, Resident Evil 4 is a survival horror game. At its core, Metal Gear Solid 4 is a stealth game. There are certainly successful meldings of two genres, like Fallout 3, but those are few and far in between. Assassins Creed and Zelda aren't among them. They are both simply Adventure games, which haven't changed much since the dawn of 3D. They don't have stats. They don't have parties. They don't have experience. They really aren't much like RPGs at all, except in the most basic qualities. 
    FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#33  Edited By FireBurger
    Alex_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Alex_V
    @AgentJ said:

"Yes, genres these days are constantly being picked apart and scavenged for their good qualities. That said, with nearly every game you can look at the core and see what it started out as, what its base genre is. At its core, Resident Evil 4 is a survival horror game. At its core, Metal Gear Solid 4 is a stealth game. There are certainly successful meldings of two genres, like Fallout 3, but those are few and far in between. Assassins Creed and Zelda aren't among them. They are both simply Adventure games, which haven't changed much since the dawn of 3D. They don't have stats. They don't have parties. They don't have experience. They really aren't much like RPGs at all, except in the most basic qualities.  "

I notice that if you look at Wikipedia's RPG page one of the first console games mentioned is Legend Of Zelda 2. Starfox Adventures, which you also mentioned before, was described as an action RPG on its release. As was Ocarina of Time. It really used to be quite normal to refer to Zelda as an RPG, believe me - I must have missed the memo where the situation changed :). Miyamoto even calls Zelda an RPG, presumably because he is from a similar generation to me.

What I'd like to know is who has decided that it isn't? That RPGs must have this and must have that. And who has that authority? If what you're saying is representative of what most gamers think, then it has changed almost by osmosis.

Another point worth making is that from memory, I don't recall the term RPG even being used for games of that type in the 80s and earlier. A game with stats and levels at one point would have been described as simply a videogame clone of D&D or one of its close table-top relations. I feel that the broader parameters of how an 'RPG' is defined came much more into common usage later on in the 90s. So to at least some extent, I feel that any modern idea of RPGs has been arbitrarily decided and then retroactively applied to games that best fit the mould earlier.

A role-playing game to me has always been any game in which you play a role. To add any more to the definition is a political act. Sure, that makes so many modern games strongly RPG-based, but that, to me, is why the older genre definitions no longer have any real use. The fact is that games where you inhabit a role in a fictional place used to be the exception rather than the norm.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By AgentJ
    @Alex_V said:

" @AgentJ said:

"Yes, genres these days are constantly being picked apart and scavenged for their good qualities. That said, with nearly every game you can look at the core and see what it started out as, what its base genre is. At its core, Resident Evil 4 is a survival horror game. At its core, Metal Gear Solid 4 is a stealth game. There are certainly successful meldings of two genres, like Fallout 3, but those are few and far in between. Assassins Creed and Zelda aren't among them. They are both simply Adventure games, which haven't changed much since the dawn of 3D. They don't have stats. They don't have parties. They don't have experience. They really aren't much like RPGs at all, except in the most basic qualities.  "

I notice that if you look at Wikipedia's RPG page one of the first console games mentioned is Legend Of Zelda 2. Starfox Adventures, which you also mentioned before, was described as an action RPG on its release. As was Ocarina of Time. It really used to be quite normal to refer to Zelda as an RPG, believe me - I must have missed the memo where the situation changed :). Miyamoto even calls Zelda an RPG, presumably because he is from a similar generation to me.  What I'd like to know is who has decided that it isn't? That RPGs must have this and must have that. And who has that authority? If what you're saying is representative of what most gamers think, then it has changed almost by osmosis.  Another point worth making is that from memory, I don't recall the term RPG even being used for games of that type in the 80s and earlier. A game with stats and levels at one point would have been described as simply a videogame clone of D&D or one of its close table-top relations. I feel that the broader parameters of how an 'RPG' is defined came much more into common usage later on in the 90s. So to at least some extent, I feel that any modern idea of RPGs has been arbitrarily decided and then retroactively applied to games that best fit the mould earlier.   A role-playing game to me has always been any game in which you play a role. To add any more to the definition is a political act. Sure, that makes so many modern games strongly RPG-based, but that, to me, is why the older genre definitions no longer have any real use. The fact is that games where you inhabit a role in a fictional place used to be the exception rather than the norm. "
    Remember what site you are talking about here. For all I know you were the one who added Zelda II (which even then was very different than what we think of as Zelda.) Wikipedia is not a valid source for this sort of arguement. Even on Wiki, Adventures is not refered to as an action RPG, but rather an Action Adventure, which is what I've been saying all along. Searching for either "RPG" or " Role playing" doesn't even muster a response on that page. The rest of this space you spend arguing that genres are unclear. Great, but that doesn't make Zelda an RPG. It just says that we shouldn't use genres all together. Not a compelling arguement towards the point you are trying to make. In the end, all you need to know is that on the Nintendo website, the Zelda games are listed either as Action or Action Adventure. From the original, through Link to the Past, on to Ocarina of Time and ending at Twilight Princess. 

The fact is that games where you inhabit a role in a fictional place used to be the exception rather than the norm.    

Uh, what? Mario? Zelda? Metroid? Metal Gear? Final Fantasy? Sonic? That statement is face-palmingly wrong. 

Maybe in the end an RPG has to have stats. Could also be that you have to have a party. Whatever it is though, Zelda, Assassin's Creed, and Grand Theft Auto are not RPGs.
    Alex_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Alex_V
    @AgentJ said:
    Remember what site you are talking about here. For all I know you were the one who added Zelda II (which even then was very different than what we think of as Zelda.) Wikipedia is not a valid source for this sort of arguement. Even on Wiki, Adventures is not refered to as an action RPG, but rather an Action Adventure, which is what I've been saying all along. Searching for either "RPG" or " Role playing" doesn't even muster a response on that page. The rest of this space you spend arguing that genres are unclear. Great, but that doesn't make Zelda an RPG. It just says that we shouldn't use genres all together. Not a compelling arguement towards the point you are trying to make. In the end, all you need to know is that on the Nintendo website, the Zelda games are listed either as Action or Action Adventure. From the original, through Link to the Past, on to Ocarina of Time and ending at Twilight Princess. 

The fact is that games where you inhabit a role in a fictional place used to be the exception rather than the norm.    

Uh, what? Mario? Zelda? Metroid? Metal Gear? Final Fantasy? Sonic? That statement is face-palmingly wrong.   Maybe in the end an RPG has to have stats. Could also be that you have to have a party. Whatever it is though, Zelda, Assassin's Creed, and Grand Theft Auto are not RPGs. "
    If we want to be pedantic about 'role-playing' it is something you do naturally with virtually any game you play. The paddle in PONG becomes your avatar, and you are role-playing a scene involving a virtual tennis match. But in a broader sense, I think there is a distinction between popular games where you are just represented by a pretty graphic onscreen (Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, Sonic etc) - these games totally dominated the pre-Zelda gamespace. Outside of text adventures, games where the character that you played was an important decision-making part of the story (Zelda, Ultima, Wizardry etc) were rare or considered weird niche products. When the first Zelda came out it spoke to a generation of players because they felt a connection to the character, or at least the decisions they were allowed to take in their adventure - that's why the game is seen as a classic. Whether or not we class it as an RPG or an action-adventure, the concept of actively playing a key role within a game story is definitely present.

Looking at Gamespot's genre definitions, it seems they label Zelda games as RPGs up to Ocarina of Time, where they become action adventures. As I concede, there is very little difference between the two. Put 'Zelda RPG' into google and you come up with a swathe of links all referring to Zelda games as RPGs.

As you rightly indicate, it seems that modern Zelda games are much more likely to be described as adventure games these days. For practical purposes I wouldn't disagree, because I don't see much value in the distinction anymore. All the classic features of RPGs are now integral features of most games - the levelling or the 'maths' may not be displayed onscreen, but this is how the games work internally regardless.

Can you link me to a place where your definitive definition of an RPG is described? The one where levelling and experience have to be present? Would be interesting to read and react to.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#38  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

There haven't really been any straight RPGs for the Wii that I've taken any interest in, but I did really enjoy Super Paper Mario. My first playthrough of that was awesome.

jj984jj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By jj984jj

The Wii doesn't have any must-have RPGs yet but between all of this:
      @Apathylad said:

" @oldschool said:

" Baroque  - not very good.  
    Opoona - very niche (I like it). Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World    - traditional RPG (I enjoyed it) 
    Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers - need to be a fan of FF.   "
    You forgot about Little King's Story. I haven't played it, but I've heard good things from the game. "
    Maybe you'll find something you'll like, even if some of these games aren't really RPGs. 

I really enjoyed Little King's Story my-self, it was like Pikmin with town/sim elements. I had a bit of fun with Super Paper Mario too but it wasn't as good as the turn-based games, and other than that most of those games were average or just weren't for me. Hopefully Ignition does a good job localizing Arc Rise Fantasia and Tales of Graces makes it over. And maybe Nintendo won't take too long to get Xenoblade and The Last Story out so we can see how good they are.
    ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @jj984jj: I'd say ToS2 is pretty must have assuming you've played the first and enjoyed it. Def one of my favorite games of 2008 despite the gameplay feeling a bit dumbed down in parts.
    jj984jj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By jj984jj
    @Zenaxzd: I played the first one and enjoyed it, but the dumbed down gameplay in the sequel let me down. Especially after playing Vesperia a few months earlier. Thankfully Graces doesn't just look like a return to norm, but it's the first time a 3D Tales game is using the praised Chain Capacity system in the recent 2D games on PS2 that were never localized. I really hope it comes our way.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By oldschool
    @Zenaxzd said:
    " @jj984jj: I'd say ToS2 is pretty must have assuming you've played the first and enjoyed it. Def one of my favorite games of 2008 despite the gameplay feeling a bit dumbed down in parts. "
    I thoroughly enjoyed ToS and ToS2.  It depends on your tastes and perhaps, expectations.  I wouldn't hesitate recommending ToS2.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.