Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

The fastest selling console of all time in the UK.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By oldschool

Source 

Without a doubt, the good people of the UK have shown just how classy and smart they are  (^_^) 

British Wii hits 6 million in three years

December 3rd, 2009 @ 10:46
    By 
    Patrick Garratt

Wii’s sold over 6 million units in the UK in less than three years to become the fastest-selling UK console ever.

Wii released in the UK on December 8, 2006 and the milestone in the week ending November 28, 2009.

Hot, Wii-shaped beans. PR after the break.

NINTENDO’S Wii SELLS OVER SIX MILLION UNITS IN LESS THAN THREE YEARS TO BECOME FASTEST EVER SELLING HOME CONSOLE IN UK HISTORY

3rd December 2009 – Figures released today courtesy of the UK’s leading independent music, video and software performance and sales tracking company, Chart Track-GfK, show Nintendo’s home console, Wii, has now sold more than six million units in the UK alone since launch.

The landmark figure, achieved in less than three years on sale, makes Wii the fastest selling video game console in UK history and the quickest ever to reach six million units sold. Wii was originally launched in the UK on 8th December 2006 and officially passed six million UK sales week ending 28th November 2009.

Commenting on the six million sales figure, David Yarnton, General Manager, Nintendo UK added: ““With its inclusive, family friendly and fun nature, we’re very pleased Wii seems to have captured the imagination of over six million families across the UK and reached such a landmark sales figure in such a short space of time. We’ll work even harder to ensure that the interest in Wii stretches over months and years, appealing to people of all ages and gaming experience.”

That is one hefty percentage of the population for a console.  Mind you, Linkyshinks helped with 2 (his new black one) I believe  ^-^ 

Regardless of what any individual thinks of the Wii, you cannot fail to be impressed with such sales.  It is hard to believe that a "fad" could be sustained at such levels and if no-one is playing them, why do people keep buying them?  Surely they must know someone who has one and would be put off by them - right?  Of course people are playing them and having a ball

My game collection now spans 7 games  Nintendo Wii Collection  so, I am helping the attach rate  ^-^ 

Come on UK, tell us why you are so awesome.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Al3xand3r

Wii is doomed, Wii HD in January, Nintendo to go third party only by 2011, Zelda to use Sony wands & Natal!

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By oldschool
    @Al3xand3r said:
    " Wii is doomed, Wii HD in January, Nintendo to go third party only by 2011, Zelda to use Sony wands & Natal! "
    Stop being so negative  ^_^ 
    Anyway, you are from Greece, and despite a Greek being married to the Queen - you don't count  :/
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Al3xand3r

None of those were original Greeks, just wannabes :-P

Also, this will happen. It's written in the Mayan calendar!

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By oldschool
    @Al3xand3r said:
    " None of those were original Greeks, just wannabes :-P "
    You just disown him because he's a dick who says stupid shit, but he's still one of yours  xD
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Al3xand3r

Nope, they come from Danish and German bloodlines.

Gruff182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Gruff182

Everyone makes mistakes, me included.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By HandsomeDead

I wish I could get so happy over sales number. BRB, wanking over the Modern Warfare 2 first day sales. Feels so good.

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By zyn

It's the Nintendo name.  I've had several of my friends (who don't play games much) buy Wii's because they can play it with their families.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By oldschool
    @zyn said:
    " It's the Nintendo name.  I've had several of my friends (who don't play games much) buy Wii's because they can play it with their families. "
    It can't be a bad thing to bring in new people.  Many of these will migrate to more traditional games, not that Nintendo games themselves are not traditional.
    MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By MysteriousBob
    @zyn said:
    " It's the Nintendo name.  I've had several of my friends (who don't play games much) buy Wii's because they can play it with their families. "
    That actually happens outside of adverts? I've never met anyone who actually uses it with their families as Nintendo's bullshit marketing suggests.

This news makes me ashamed to be British.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By oldschool
    @MysteriousBob said:
    " @zyn said:
    That actually happens outside of adverts? I've never met anyone who actually uses it with their families as Nintendo's bullshit marketing suggests. This news makes me ashamed to be British. "
    Having Tony Blair suck up to George Bush and take you to war is something to be ashamed of, not this.
    keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By keyhunter

My Wii Purchase didn't count as a "sales number" because I bought it from a dissatisfied launch day line up loser who decided that it is not worth owning within a few days of purchase.

I have to agree. It is useless and I regret buying it.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By HandsomeDead
    @oldschool said:
    " @zyn said:
    It can't be a bad thing to bring in new people.  Many of these will migrate to more traditional games, not that Nintendo games themselves are not traditional. "
    What are you basing that on?
    Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By Romination

Wow, people are still fapping over how fast Wiis sell? I thought everyone realized a while ago that it was the fastest selling system. Even the other companies acknowledge it.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By oldschool
    @HandsomeDead said:
    " @oldschool said:
    " @zyn said:
    It can't be a bad thing to bring in new people.  Many of these will migrate to more traditional games, not that Nintendo games themselves are not traditional. "
    What are you basing that on? "
    Common sense. 
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17  Edited By Willy105
    @oldschool said:

" @HandsomeDead said:

" @oldschool said:
    " @zyn said:
    Common sense.  "
    Yeah. Casuals will move on to hardcore games. 

Just like in the NES days. Not many kids here realize this, but Nintendo is doing the exact same thing as they did in the NES era, and they got the same response from the "hardcore" gamers, which at the time were the PC gamers. 

@MysteriousBob said:
    " @zyn said:
    That actually happens outside of adverts? I've never met anyone who actually uses it with their families as Nintendo's bullshit marketing suggests. This news makes me ashamed to be British. "
    Really? I always thought Nintendo's marketing was so good was because it was realistic. My family (and the families that come over to my house) play exactly like those Wii Like To Play commercials. 

Of course, they aren't as pretty as the supermodels Nintendo hires (and the asians are strangely missing), but they do the same thing. Much better than those completely fake 360 commercials about people playing jumprope and having finger gunfights on the airport. Where's the 360 in that?
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By HandsomeDead
    @oldschool said:
    " @HandsomeDead said:
    " @oldschool said:
    " @zyn said:
    Common sense.  "
    Any proof?
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By oldschool
    @HandsomeDead said:
    " @oldschool said:
    " @HandsomeDead said:
    " @oldschool said:
    " @zyn said:
    Common sense.  "
    Any proof? "
    C-O-M-M-O-N S-E-N-S-E. 

Any proof it doesn't happen?  I don't play "hardcore" games, but when I bought a 360, I bought Bioshock, GTA IV, Devil May Cry 3 & Halo 3, because I thought I would try them out (I only liked Bioshock) despite buying the 360 for JRPG.  It is what people do, you know, common sense.  They see an ad, they see a game in a catalogue and in store and they get tempted.  SOME will migrate.  The only reason the PS2 was successful at the level it was, is because of casual games (Singstar/Buzz/EyeToy), there would be few people with just those games in their collection.
    ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By ThomasP
    @HandsomeDead said:
    " @oldschool said:
    " @HandsomeDead said:
    " @oldschool said:
    " @zyn said:
    Common sense.  "
    Any proof? "
    HandsomeDead, we all know you despise the Wii... no one gives a fuck. If you are going to continually post ignorant, biased comments then fuck off. For months now I've seen you come on these boards and you just spread hate, start arguments and generally just look to get a rise out of people. You're a fucking loser. I'll continue ignoring your hatred, but I just wanted you to know your a fucking loser to waste all this time arguing and hating something that you could just easily ignore.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By HandsomeDead
    @ThomasP said:
    " @HandsomeDead said:
    " @oldschool said:
    " @HandsomeDead said:
    " @oldschool said:
    " @zyn said:
    Common sense.  "
    Any proof? "
    HandsomeDead, we all know you despise the Wii... no one gives a fuck. If you are going to continually post ignorant, biased comments then fuck off. For months now I've seen you come on these boards and you just spread hate, start arguments and generally just look to get a rise out of people. You're a fucking loser. I'll continue ignoring your hatred, but I just wanted you to know your a fucking loser to waste all this time arguing and hating something that you could just easily ignore. "
    Not really sure if posting a vitriolic paragraph counts as ignoring me, but whatever, if no one gives a fuck, why should I stop voicing my opinion?
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22  Edited By Willy105

Hey! Be nice!

It's OK to prove someone's opinion wrong (it's how we learn), but NEVER insult someone because they have that opinion. Make sure to report people that insult your opinion!

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Al3xand3r

Well, going in a thread just to mock whoever started it as "wanking over" the subject is hardly constructive discussion. Why click and respond at all if you aren't interested in the subject? The title isn't misleading or anything so Thomas' evaluation of such comments isn't that far fetched.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By oldschool
    @Al3xand3r said:
    " Well, going in a thread just to mock whoever started it as "wanking over" the subject is hardly constructive discussion. Why click and respond at all if you aren't interested in the subject? The title isn't misleading or anything so Thomas' evaluation of such comments isn't that far fetched. "
    I think he was being sarcastic, but you know, text is hard to feel and I do get it wrong a lot ^-^ 

I think said person just loves the attention.  He was probably ignored as a child and you know, any attention is good attention.  It is a pity really, because outside of this, he can actually be a decent poster.  Thomas P was spot on, but I don't intend to get into a slanging match as that is what he wants.  In effect though, everyone has ignored the unwanted comment, I certainly did and I almost always ignore all of them.  Anyone who has been around a while is just learning to ignore him, so the attempts can get more desperate, like this one here.  
    Dogstar060763

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Dogstar060763

I just got myself a Wii (Black Edition) and I'm from the UK (London). I have also have a 360. Why did I buy a Wii? I just liked the look of some of the more mature games on the system, so I've already got RE: The Darkside Chronicles, RE: Umbrella Chronicles, Dead Space Extraction and a nice old skool turn-based game by the name of  Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance. I have my eye on Silent Hill: Shattered Memories and HotD: Overkill. I appreciate the Wii is a different console with different ways of doing things - so I consider it a great partner to my 360. I'm not really interested in traditional Nintendo titles like Mario, Zelda, etc, nor am I interested in puzzle/party/sports games. I just wanted a Wii to play the kind of games I've mentioned. In the same way, I'll probably buy into PS3 eventually, too. There are a fair few titles now only available on that system that intrigue me enough to tempt me towards a purchase.

The Wii's success here in the UK is ubiquitous - I've got friends who have no real interest in video games as a general rule, but see the Wii as a fairly innocuous way to indulge in some relatively lightweight 'gaming' via the likes of Wii Sports Resort, etc. Not the kind of people you'd expect to buy Dead Space Extraction - because they don't - and nor do they own any other gaming platform (apart from PC for which they only buy downloadable puzzle games).

So I guess I'm a fairly unusual Wii owner; I came to the party late, waited for a large back catalogue to emerge and now just cherry-pick what I consider to be some of the system's more mature and accomplished 'gamer-orientated'  titles.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By MachoFantastico

Good news for Nintendo, just wish I actually gave a damn about it and wasn't about to sell it. 

Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 15

#27  Edited By Griddler
    @oldschool said:
    " C-O-M-M-O-N S-E-N-S-E.  Any proof it doesn't happen?  I don't play "hardcore" games, but when I bought a 360, I bought Bioshock, GTA IV, Devil May Cry 3 & Halo 3, because I thought I would try them out (I only liked Bioshock) despite buying the 360 for JRPG.  It is what people do, you know, common sense.  They see an ad, they see a game in a catalogue and in store and they get tempted.  SOME will migrate.  The only reason the PS2 was successful at the level it was, is because of casual games (Singstar/Buzz/EyeToy), there would be few people with just those games in their collection. "
    Oh no you did not just call Halo 3 hardcore.

Wii Defense Force UNITE!!
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By oldschool
    @girdz said:
    " @oldschool said:
    " C-O-M-M-O-N S-E-N-S-E.  Any proof it doesn't happen?  I don't play "hardcore" games, but when I bought a 360, I bought Bioshock, GTA IV, Devil May Cry 3 & Halo 3, because I thought I would try them out (I only liked Bioshock) despite buying the 360 for JRPG.  It is what people do, you know, common sense.  They see an ad, they see a game in a catalogue and in store and they get tempted.  SOME will migrate.  The only reason the PS2 was successful at the level it was, is because of casual games (Singstar/Buzz/EyeToy), there would be few people with just those games in their collection. "
    Oh no you did not just call Halo 3 hardcore.   Wii Defense Force UNITE!! "
    You forgot the "Quotation" marks  ^-^   
     I am pretty sure I was really say "so called".  So that makes me innocent  :-) 

@Dogstar060763 said:
    " I just got myself a Wii (Black Edition) and I'm from the UK (London). I have also have a 360. Why did I buy a Wii? I just liked the look of some of the more mature games on the system, so I've already got RE: The Darkside Chronicles, RE: Umbrella Chronicles, Dead Space Extraction and a nice old skool turn-based game by the name of  Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance. I have my eye on Silent Hill: Shattered Memories and HotD: Overkill. I appreciate the Wii is a different console with different ways of doing things - so I consider it a great partner to my 360. I'm not really interested in traditional Nintendo titles like Mario, Zelda, etc, nor am I interested in puzzle/party/sports games. I just wanted a Wii to play the kind of games I've mentioned. In the same way, I'll probably buy into PS3 eventually, too. There are a fair few titles now only available on that system that intrigue me enough to tempt me towards a purchase.  The Wii's success here in the UK is ubiquitous - I've got friends who have no real interest in video games as a general rule, but see the Wii as a fairly innocuous way to indulge in some relatively lightweight 'gaming' via the likes of Wii Sports Resort, etc. Not the kind of people you'd expect to buy Dead Space Extraction - because they don't - and nor do they own any other gaming platform (apart from PC for which they only buy downloadable puzzle games).  So I guess I'm a fairly unusual Wii owner; I came to the party late, waited for a large back catalogue to emerge and now just cherry-pick what I consider to be some of the system's more mature and accomplished 'gamer-orientated'  titles. "
    Welcome to GB.  You can join our Wii Defence Squad if you like.  I like the cut of your jib  :/  

I am currently playing Fire Emblem and I suck at it.  Seriously, it to me about 15 attempts to get through the second battle.  Sad, but true.  I love it and now I am getting a feel for the game play again, I am getting better.  Plus, House of Dead: overkill was by far the most fun I have had in a game all year.  I don't mind repeating this any time, but the last 2 chapters with Mother were the most shocking and funny moments in a game EVER.  It was motherfucking good (the irony about motherfucker - still makes me laugh).
    Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 15

#29  Edited By Griddler
    @oldschool: Ah I see, I'll let you off the hook then :D
    Dogstar060763

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Dogstar060763
    @oldschool:  Yep, I'm a frequent visitor to the 'Game Over' screen in FE: Path of Radiance, myself! : ) But it's such a reassuringly solid and old-fashioned turn-based RPG I just keep going back for more. I consider the game a real gem - beautifully presented and actually very detailed in terms of gameplay. This was a game I'd had my eye on for ages, so when I finally bought my Wii it had to be one of the first titles to grace my new console. It's going to be fun picking up various titles for the system - every time I read through Wii game review lists I keep noticing more titles I know I'd like to add to my fledgling collection! Must be careful, though - this is an expensive time of the year, so I'll hold off any more purchses until Xmas and New Year are well and truly out of the way.
    tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#31  Edited By tebbit
    @girdz said:
    " @oldschool said:
    Oh no you did not just call Halo 3 hardcore.   Wii Defense Force UNITE!! "
    Eiirth 

Fiire! 

Wiind!

Watiir! 

Heaiirt! 

WITH OUR WAGGLES COMBINED, WE ARE CAPTAIIN PLANiiT! 

Now I need to lay down for a bit.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By oldschool
    @Dogstar060763 said:
    " @oldschool:  Yep, I'm a frequent visitor to the 'Game Over' screen in FE: Path of Radiance, myself! : ) But it's such a reassuringly solid and old-fashioned turn-based RPG I just keep going back for more. I consider the game a real gem - beautifully presented and actually very detailed in terms of gameplay. This was a game I'd had my eye on for ages, so when I finally bought my Wii it had to be one of the first titles to grace my new console. It's going to be fun picking up various titles for the system - every time I read through Wii game review lists I keep noticing more titles I know I'd like to add to my fledgling collection! Must be careful, though - this is an expensive time of the year, so I'll hold off any more purchses until Xmas and New Year are well and truly out of the way. "
    If you never played the Gamecube game, it is a must as well. 

I am addicted to this style of game, even in defeat.  I love how I go, "that was stupid, I will do it again this way" and promptly die for a completely different reason.  I find the game play like chess on steroids.  It is also why I loved the Gameboy Advance games so much.  Although I love Battalion Wars, I really wish they would make an Advance Wars Wii game, using Fire Emblem as a template.  I just prefer TBS over RTS in many occasions and Advance Wars stylised for the Wii would make me a happy person. 

I myself am a bargain shopper, so I wait.  A good game today is still a good game in 6 months or 12 months time, but a lot cheaper.  I really want RE:DC and DS:E as I am loving on-rails shooters, but they are a touch too expensive at this stage.
    dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#33  Edited By dbz1995
    @oldschool said:
    " @Dogstar060763 said:
    " @oldschool:  Yep, I'm a frequent visitor to the 'Game Over' screen in FE: Path of Radiance, myself! : ) But it's such a reassuringly solid and old-fashioned turn-based RPG I just keep going back for more. I consider the game a real gem - beautifully presented and actually very detailed in terms of gameplay. This was a game I'd had my eye on for ages, so when I finally bought my Wii it had to be one of the first titles to grace my new console. It's going to be fun picking up various titles for the system - every time I read through Wii game review lists I keep noticing more titles I know I'd like to add to my fledgling collection! Must be careful, though - this is an expensive time of the year, so I'll hold off any more purchses until Xmas and New Year are well and truly out of the way. "
    If you never played the Gamecube game, it is a must as well.  I am addicted to this style of game, even in defeat.  I love how I go, "that was stupid, I will do it again this way" and promptly die for a completely different reason.  I find the game play like chess on steroids.  It is also why I loved the Gameboy Advance games so much.  Although I love Battalion Wars, I really wish they would make an Advance Wars Wii game, using Fire Emblem as a template.  I just prefer TBS over RTS in many occasions and Advance Wars stylised for the Wii would make me a happy person.  I myself am a bargain shopper, so I wait.  A good game today is still a good game in 6 months or 12 months time, but a lot cheaper.  I really want RE:DC and DS:E as I am loving on-rails shooters, but they are a touch too expensive at this stage. "
    Yeah, Fire Emblem 6, 7, and 8 were great (Thats Fire Emblem: Sword of Seals, Fire Emblem, and Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones to people who do not know). I would have liked to get the Gamecube version, but I can't find a decent price for it, and I don't own a Wii. Anyway, it is great news for the Wii and I am happy for it because, despite what some people say, THERE ARE GOOD GAMES ON IT.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.