Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

The truest comic ever.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Meowayne
    Earthbounder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Earthbounder

Poor Pea-Steve. :(

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Al3xand3r

How is the comic true? Nintendo certainly offered many of their core franschises very early in the Wii's life so there was no real waiting was there?. What, like 8 of those before it became two years old? If anything, it's the most false comic ever. A one year dry spell two years after release isn't what it implies at all with those dodgy panels, that's for sure. It's also not that much to wait considering the amount of quality third party titles that are filling in, but since the comic only talks about "Potatamoto" then simply re-read my first couple of lines here.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4  Edited By kush

The comic was ok, but nothing special. I was waiting for it to get awesome, but that never happened. I do love Potatoes though! :)

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By Rowr

yeh, pretty true.

everyones gotta grow up sometime.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Emilio

Man, too bad Nintendo already released a bunch of great games and no one seems to care.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Emilio
    Levio91 said:
    "Yeah waht are you talking about wii musics coming out soon. greatest game of all time. i"
    I know! Theze guys R S0 dumb!!

There's also those two crappy games coming out... what are they called? Wario Land and Animal Crossing? What a bunch of garbage.
    Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Rowr

If i was 12 i might be excited.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Al3xand3r

You mean you AREN'T? I'd never guess with that kind of comments.

I mean, you do only come to the Wii forums for this type of discussion, but ignore all the actual games, unless I missed you discussing the likes of Metroid Prime 3, Twilight Princess, Smash Bros and the other good core-friendly games the WIi got from Nintendo themselves early on (thus proving this comic wrong).

Nor did I see you discuss any of the third party games in these forums like say, Zak & Wiki, RE4 (arguably the definitive version of one of the finest games), No More Heroes and upcoming core games like Kizuna, Fragile, Monster Hunter 3, De Blob (and its great reviews), Sky Crawlers, etc.

Nope, none of that, just Wii bashing, lack of games, agreeing with dodgy web comics that make those points and what not. Basicaly a detachment from Wii's reality. Why bother at all mr not a 12 year old?

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Rowr
    Al3xand3r said:
    "You mean you AREN'T? I'd never guess with that kind of comments.

I mean, you do only come to the Wii forums for this type of discussion, but ignore all the actual games, unless I missed you discussing the likes of Metroid Prime 3, Twilight Princess, Smash Bros and the other good core-friendly games the WIi got from Nintendo themselves early on (thus proving this comic wrong).

Nor did I see you discuss any of the third party games in these forums like say, Zak & Wiki, RE4 (arguably the definitive version of one of the finest games), No More Heroes and upcoming core games like Kizuna, Fragile, Monster Hunter 3, De Blob (and its great reviews), Sky Crawlers, etc.

Nope, none of that, just Wii bashing, lack of games, agreeing with dodgy web comics that make those points and what not. Basicaly a detachment from Wii's reality. Why bother at all mr not a 12 year old?"

It seems the target demographic for the console is 12 years olds and newbies. Nintendo knows that, the hardcore followers seem not to want to believe it though.

Clearly im not the only one, since someone went to the the lengths of making a web comic about it, and someone else posted it in a forum declaring it the truth.

Just asserting my own opinion, is that not the point of the forums?

As far as "coming into the wii forums", I view all the threads through the feed, im not pissing on anyones parade intentionally, i dont "troll" the wii forums. I never told anyone not to enjoy the console. Just asserted it wasnt for me, And that the web comic was relevant due to the fact nintendo has very little lined up in the way of hardcore games.

Am i really the one with a detachment from Wii's reality?
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Meowayne

Al3xand3r, I was not talking about Nintendo not delivering core franchises, and the webcomic doesn't either. It's about Nintendo not keeping what they promised. I bought the console because I was promised Nintendo'd cut back on the graphics whoring (great thing!) to focus on original gaming content that was different from what we've played before, using the new control scheme. This attempt failed miserably in the first few months (Red Steel being the prime example), and because Nintendo realized the non-games made more profit than they'd hoped for, they just gave up.

Of course, there's the occasional game that uses the Wiimote and is fun. You mention RE4, Zak&Wiki, No More Heroes, De Blob, I'd add Super Mario Galaxy, Boom Blox.. There are some. All of which mainly use the Pointer function. All of which could have easily been realized with a friggin mouse. With the first few games in the Wiis life cycle, developers seemed to have realized that the motion sensing capabilities of the Wii are just broken by default. They cannot be used for interesting things, only for the occasional "speed" measurement and the pointer function. This is epic fail in my book. This is not what I bought the console for. "Boom Blox" was fun, but it's "innovation" was based on the pointer function. Throws didn't get calculated by motion sensoring, it was just the pointer position + speed of movement. Lame.

Then there's the Nintendo franchises. I never expected much from third party, but at least Nintendo would deliver 2 or 3 games a year that use the functions of the console, right?
    Wrong. Super Mario Galaxy was great, but not because of the controls: Despite of the controls. Some say It would have been better with a regular controller. The same goes for Twilight Princess. Super Smash Bros. and Mario Kart wiimote controls are broken - people prefer playing them with the GameCube controller. Wii Fit requires a friggin extra controller. Only Metroid Prime 3 didn't completely fail when it comes to "Teh Wiimote is teh best thing that ever happened to gaming!"

Right now, years later, Wii Sports and maybe Wario Ware are still the only(!) games that are great because of their controls and could not have been made on any other consoles without major reconstruction. Nintendo had a plan, it failed horribly, because the motion sensoring cannot be used in proper games. This is disappointing. Every good Wii game (and there are good wii games) either uses very little motion sensoring when none is needed or none at all.

This is what the webcomic is about. Nintendo promised a fantastic toy, didn't deliver, then said: What the heck. We found a better way to make money. Fuck you all.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Al3xand3r

"I was promised Nintendo'd cut back on the graphics whoring (great thing!) to focus on original gaming content that was different from what we've played before, using the new control scheme."

I think Nintendo have done just that, and are attacked for it.

"This attempt failed miserably in the first few months (Red Steel being the prime example)"

So, you're judging Nintendo's efforts by Ubisoft's? Might as well judge Sony's efforts by how Lair turned out or Microsoft's efforts by Too Human.

"There are some. All of which mainly use the Pointer function. All of which could have easily been realized with a friggin mouse."
    I don't see PC studios making such games (well, except for FPS games, but how the fuck is it a NEGATIVE point that the WIi has incredible FPS games like Metroid Prime 3?) so again it's a success of Nintendo to spark the creation of such titles.

"This is epic fail in my book."
    I doubt many people wish to read that.

"Nintendo would deliver 2 or 3 games a year that use the functions of the console"
    Well, they delivered 4 per year on average considering they gave about 8 games before the two years ended. Not that they EVER delivered so many so often in the past.

Most people claim they hate waggling for "proper" games anyway, keeping the core of games like Twilight Princess and Mario Galaxy traditional was the right thing to do. Using more integrated motion controls would break the game and it would be a bad game BECAUSE of the controls DESPITE its quality. You whine because the opposite happened, it being a great game because of great controls, because motion wasn't used extensively. Meh, you'd never be pleased so, who cares?

But really you're merely being a hypocrit right now. Here you're saying the wiimote is broken aside from the pointing functionality. And so what? the way it is, it makes for fun additions to games like No More Heroes and for incredibly good console FPS esque controls - and again fun additions in those, like the interactivity in Prime 3 which does matter a lot considering most of today's modern games use a first or third person camera, meaning they're perfectly suitable for such controls . Who said the pointing functionality is something to pass off like that, just because it works well, just because it happens to have some motion sensing also? it was obviously well thought out and they wanted to implement it no matter what considering the sensor bar which makes it work for all set ups unlike if they had something like a lightgun which doesn't work on newer TV types.

Anyway, here you're focusing on how the Wiimote doesn't deliver (apparently because it's not 1:1, but that was never promised) but in the other thread you claim it's Nintendo's actual games direction that's so wrong and you want them to change and thus will pirate their games.

Then again, if the Wiimote is broken, that merely can't be changed so, no matter what, you'll hate Nintendo, no matter the quality games that get released on the system, no matter the great third party support, no matter what. So, why keep being into the Wii so much? All you do is attack it. It annoys you so much. Just sell it as you apparently plan and be at peace. And let the Wii forums at peace also, hur hur.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Rowr
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Al3xand3r

I just saw your post, your argument was even more pathetic than Meo's. Many people on teh intertubes say the Wii is this or that, so it must be true. Lol? You sound both like a 12 year old AND a newbie if you really believe that statement. You'll be surprised how many people write "it sucks" or anything negative on the internet for just about anything you may like yourself. That doesn't make them right, nor does it make their statements reality. Just like your and Meo's statements don't make Wii lacking core games or Nintendo forgetting about their fans true when it's so easily proven wrong just by history and the information we have about the near and distant future of the system.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By Black_Rose

VCats is the most unfunny webcomic, and i dont see how it's true, Nintendo, Sony and MS dont give a shit about the fans, they go where the money's at.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Rowr
    Al3xand3r said:
    "I just saw your post, your argument was even more pathetic than Rowr's. Many people on teh intertubes say the Wii is this or that, so it must be true. Lol? You sound both like a 12 year old AND a newbie if you really believe that statement. You'll be surprised how many people write "it sucks" or anything negative on the internet for just about anything you may like yourself. That doesn't make them right, nor does it make their statements reality. Just like your and Rowr's statements don't make Wii lacking core games or Nintendo forgetting about their fans true when it's so easily proven wrong just by history and the information we have about the near and distant future of the system."
    At this point ive lost any will to argue. Its to late, youv'e clearly become "one of them". Try actually reading what i write rather than disregarding it and getting into a defensive fanboy rant.

And for the record I'm Rowr. Obviously without the help of bright colours and simple mechanics your having a hard time using the site.

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By Vaxadrin
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Al3xand3r

Gee, I make one mistake about forum nicknames (you two and the rest of the wii hating bandwagon groupies are too much alike anyway, using the same tired and multiple times proven to be wrong arguments) and you decide you don't care to argue anymore. It's not like you had an argument in the first place anyway so that's just as well. I did read your post and it was just a rant about random shit or responding to me about things I never claimed (did I ever say Nintendo DO have core games coming these months, even though they have Wario Land and Disaster, I spoke of an upcoming draft - easily covered by third parties - but not in the way implied in the comic since it speaks of some unfulfilled promise, when Nintendo already warned of this draft), not even responding to anything I said in the first place, and yet you accuse me of doing that, lol.

ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20  Edited By ArcBorealis

"truest comic ever" my ass >_>

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Meowayne

Al3xand3r, again, this is  not complaining about "waggling", "proper" games or "1:1" motion controls! I bought Boom Blox for christs sake. We agree that, despite the broken motion sensoring, there aren't just broken, bad games on the Wii, but quality ones once in a while. Now you seem to be perfectly content with that. Fine. But is it really hard to understand how many people are disappointed because of just that? I did not buy the Wii to just have something more to play - I own a PS2 and Xbox360 and there are more quality games on these consoles than I can ever play - I bought the Wii to play games in ways I cannot on the other consoles. When I first played Shadow of the Colossus, I was awed, I was totally blown away by a feeling of "Wow, this is something I have never experienced before". Nintendo promised again and again that they would deliver exactly this kind of feeling with the new Wii games, and they didn't! They couldn't! I spent over 300 bucks on a gamecube with a mouse!
    You know, when I first got the Wii, I felt like the N64 kid must've felt. Gaming had become a little stale last gen, at least for me. I was absolutely willing to leave the normal paths of gaming and to abandon all the franchises to experience something different in electronic entertainment. That's why I bought Nintendos Wii, even though I couldn't really afford it. Wii Sports was great - Just pick up the controller and immerse yourself in the game. That feeling, combined with quality interactive storytelling - Thats what the Wii was advertised as bringing to us, apart from family-friendly pick-up-and-play minigame collections (which by themselves are totally alright! No problem with that! I enjoyed Wario Ware and Wii Play) Thats what that comic is about. If you don't feel like you've been ripped off - great! It's not that the Wii doesn't have some nice games. But don't act as if feeling disappointed with what Nintendo has done in the last two years is totally weird and ridiculous.
    The Wii's contribution to popular genre games? A whack-a-mole every twenty minutes.

"A great/fantastic game, and the occasional motion control sequences aren't completely broken and can be a little fun sometimes" <- This is 80% of all AA/AAA wii game reviews. Show that to the gamers two years ago, and many would've thought twice about buying that damn thing.

Many people are reluctant to say: I was hyped for the Nintendo Wii and bought the console mainly because of the concept of motion controlled play. Well, I did. Because Nintendo was very convincing in saying it was "teh best and most innovative/useful/natural thing evar". Nintendo-Franchises, Virtual Console.. all very nice, but what made me spend the money was the motion control. Which, looking back, was a vast disappointment and a spectacular fail, and Nintendo doesn't even care because the casual audience vomits money into their pockets. That's why the comic I linked is absolutely spot-on.

I do not complain about Nintendos family approach, I do not complain about casual games and that I don't get my fill of GTA XIII and First-Person-Shooter X.
    The Nintendo DS is the greatest handheld to ever grace the market. It pleases every audience, and still manages to offer high quality storytelling games that use the systems hardware features (touch/dual screens, microphone) in interesting and compelling ways. And because of that, I certainly don't mind the games that don't. The Wii only has games that don't, never even remotely lived up to it's potential and Nintendo completely ignores and mocks  the non-casual-audience. So don't tell me there's no reason to complain.

Edit: In the Wiis defense, though, I found myself interested in more Wii games in the last few days and weeks.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jayge_

The Wii has become a cash in for more shovelware titles than any console has ever had before, ever. You cite games that average "good" at best as some of the Wii's bastions, Andrew, and then go on to make claims about the controls that show absolutely no knowledge of sound development or innovation whatsoever. Meowayne and Rowr both made intelligent and very truthful points, which you disregarded with a complete lack of understanding regarding their perspectives and their own knowledge. Seriously. The Wii, as a console, is a gimmick. The motion controller is not unique, and will not be unique in any way shape or form for quite some time, unless you regard the completely overpriced split-system package of the Wii-mote and Nunchuk, which could easily come as one package and still be able to seperate without charging each seperately. That's not counting the terrible controller design, placing useful buttons all down the top of the controller typically covered by one's palm, making complex games and things needing better controls (the FPS's you keep talking about) incredibly dumbed down without making stupid hotkey sacrifices and annoying radial menus.

As a concept, the Wii is this: a nintendo gamecube with (not much) improved storage, online integration, and a new operating system. It also has an infra-red controller with bad gyroscopic controling methods, and terrible control layout. It's not even worth the $250 price tag. Seriously. It had a lot of potential, but Nintendo squandered it and went straight for the money. Not something I blame them for, but I understand people's feelings about being betrayed (I was raised with a PC anyway). The comic makes perfect sense, and you'd be a fool to deny it.

My twopence.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By crunchUK

ohmygod that poor pea :'( and basically what jayge said - apart from nintendo titles it does everything else worse

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Al3xand3r

Meo, you claim you wanted new types of games, then you shove Shadow of the Colossus in the discussion as if it was such a new type of game that the Wii should be getting. When did Nintendo ever say "yeah we'll do games like Shadow of the Colossus, buy the Wii" anyway? Did they ever even say they'll not be creating their core franschises just as they were up to that time? Did they say they'll abandon Mario and Zelda and Prime in favor of some new games direction?

You also keep disregarding the importance of the pointer based controls. Obviously it was important to Nintendo for them to put it in, now you still claim you wanted them to put more emphasis on the motion driven controls to be worthy games. Why? Again, extensive motion driven controls - aside from the pointer - would break most traditional games, hence traditional games like Metroid Prime 3 incorporate great control schemes, so that people don't play broken games. And they're amazing as they are, and, yes, they're all different to how they'd be played on other systems - aside from the PC.

It seems you're a victim of your own perversed understanding of what the Wii would offer rather than any actual Nintendo promises. Sell your Wii, a Shadow of the Colossus generation of games will never arrive, aside from the odd inspired work like Kizuna, which will probably not be your thing anyway, and will certainly not be an all new type of game, just like SotC wasn't anyway. What are those games you claim you're now interested in, in the last few days anyway? I don't see anything that incorporates some new form of apparently worthy motion control on the horizon so, what excites you more than the great games that are already released? All I see on the horizon is several JRPGs, a FPS or two, action games, flight games, and the like. Nothing that attempts to realise any of your dreams in regards to the Wii's motion controls or new game design direction. Of course there are fantastic games coming, games I always mention in discussions about upcoming worthy titles, but I wouldn't say any of them are so different than fantastic games already existing on the Wii only to be dismissed by you. Care to elaborate on that?

Jaygen, if you think no other system got shovelware like this, I guess you never had a PS1 or PS2. They both had thousands of titles, try and find out how many of those were worthy and figure out the ratio. Anyway, too bad, you missed some of the greatest games ever since you didn't have any of those systems.

If you think people cite average games as the Wii's bastions then feel free to ignore the system, what's the point of going to forums just to bash games people obviously enjoy (and the critics usually agree with them giving such games great scores)? To apparently try and prove the Wii is unworthy, just because of your trash talking, or what? Not to mention you claim to agree with Meo and yet your arguments are more or less comletely different to what he's talking about (he never said that those AAA games are in fact mediocre or anything along those lines, he was only apparently sad they weren't some new type of game). It is also completely different to what the comic tries to show, and yet you agree with that also. Meh. Not worth arguing really, again, people like you, the new three stooges, regardless of belief, regardless of experience (or lack of it), regardless of the critics opinions, regardless of the public's opinions, regardless of fantastic games, regardless of promising upcoming games, would make up points (like here, now) merely to bash the Wii for the sake of it and nothing more. Bitter fanboys riding the Wii hate bandwagon taking things too far. So pathetic.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Meowayne

Al3xand3r, unless you calm the fuck down, stop being polemic and reiterate every two seconds how pathetic everyone is who doesn't see things your way, there is no reason to answer to your posts. This thread has absolutely nothing to do with fanboying, bashin other people, or bandwagoning.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Jayge_
    Al3xand3r said:
    "Jaygen, if you think no other system got shovelware like this, I guess you never had a PS1 or PS2. They both had thousands of titles, try and find out how many of those were worthy and figure out the ratio. Anyway, too bad, you missed some of the greatest games ever since you didn't have any of those systems.

If you think people cite average games as the Wii's bastions then feel free to ignore the system, what's the point of going to forums just to bash games people obviously enjoy (and the critics usually agree with them giving such games great scores)? To apparently try and prove the Wii is unworthy, just because of your trash talking, or what? Not to mention you claim to agree with Meo and yet your arguments are more or less comletely different to what he's talking about (he never said that those AAA games are in fact mediocre or anything along those lines, he was only apparently sad they weren't some new type of game). It is also completely different to what the comic tries to show, and yet you agree with that also. Meh. Not worth arguing really, again, people like you, the new three stooges, regardless of belief, regardless of experience (or lack of it), regardless of the critics opinions, regardless of the public's opinions, regardless of fantastic games, regardless of promising upcoming games, would make up points (like here, now) merely to bash the Wii for the sake of it and nothing more. Bitter fanboys riding the Wii hate bandwagon taking things too far. So pathetic."
    I said I agreed with their arguments, and then went and put together a piece of my own. The fact that you didn't even respond to the bulk of mine, only picking out what you could ambiguously attack, reveals that you don't actually *have* any points to debate with. I owned both a PS2 and eventually a PS1. Yes they had shovelware, but they also had so many great games that it was ridiculous. I own a Wii, and a 360, and soon a PS3. Bash it for the sake of it? No. I bash it because I think it's worthless as a console, and that Nintendo should be ashamed of what it's done (I guess the billions of dollars are the teaspoon of sugar to the sour medicine). None of their first party titles have been more or less than anything that was on the gamecube, besides revamped controls, and not even those can be perfect.

I'm sorry if I decided to take issue with something you said and made most of my argument out of that; no, actually, I'm sorry that you don't seem to be able to grasp that the debate in my original first paragraph had everything to do with points you'd brought up earlier in the thread. For someone claiming so much experience, you'd think you would realize the difference between good gimmicks and "fantastic" games.
    Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#27  Edited By Mushir

That was not the truest comic ever.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#28  Edited By Demyx

I feel sad :(
    They waited so long...

HazBazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#29  Edited By HazBazz

sad but true

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.