Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

The Wii just might get casual pirates.

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Endogene

A beta backup loader just leaked for the wii allowing people without a mod chip to play burned iso.
    Myself i would have preferred this to never release but then i highly doubt that this will have any significant influence on Nintendo's sales, the procedure is rather complicated if you're not knowledgeable about it (no i will not tell you how to do it nor will i provide links to it).

What will happen in your opinion?

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By SamStrife

Yarghhh there me hartey. I already know someone with a chipped wii, who plays ISO's on it.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Meowayne

There I was, confident of my decision to sell the Wii before the end of the year, and now this.
    Edit Ah, seems this is still early alpha and doesnt work most of the time.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Al3xand3r

Eh, nothin will happen in my opinion, rampant easy to access piracy didn't exactly affect the Playstation or Playstation 2 in any real way. Companies still used it as the shovelware dumpster thanks to the profit % achievable thanks to the immense install base and the more decent studios still had that as the choice of platform for most of their titles for the same reason. If anything, piracy helped boost the Playstation to the top spot.

Meowayne, if the Wii has no worthy games then surely having those unworthy games for free via such immoral/illegal means shouldn't affect your decision to sell it.

SSbabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By SSbabel

The amount of casual gamers on the Wii will help prevent piracy on the system. The fact is casual gamers wouldnt have a clue on how to apply an iso file on the Wii using the service tool.

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Demilich

I might have to buy a Wii now.

If I were to buy one solely for piracy, wouldn't that mean I was supporting Nintendo? Since I wouldn't have otherwise purchased the console or any games.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Emilio

It won't do anything on their massive sales. The casual will continue to buy games and the hardcore will continue to buy games.

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Endogene
    Demilich said:
    "I might have to buy a Wii now.

If I were to buy one solely for piracy, wouldn't that mean I was supporting Nintendo? Since I wouldn't have otherwise purchased the console or any games."
    Moral knights will say no, logic says yes
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Al3xand3r

Heh, and the rampant pirates didn't have a Wii anyway, they might get one now though, thus adding to the hardware sales even if they won't add to the software sales.

Edit: Well, what Demilich said. Not that I support that kind of attitude, it's still illegal and immoral to pirate games :)

Earthbounder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Earthbounder

It won't afffect Nintendo at all. Perhaps it will even improve the sales of the system but unfortunately it may obviously hurt the software sales. I know two people who have chipped Wiis. Fortunately I never bought and I will neve buy pirated games.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Al3xand3r

Yeah, people tend to NOT BUY pirated games, but I guess many are stupid enough to do so. It's one (shitty) thing to not support the developers of games you enjoy enough to play, and a whole different thing to pay some dodgy black market dealer with god knows what other types of activities and goals, for the benefit of paying an illegal copy that cost him next to nothing... Okay maybe I'm exagerating and the dealer in question is merely some local games store with that activity carried out at the back, but still, why give that kind of profit margin to someone like that? Nobody's giving YOU that kind of extra profit for your job and you do yours legally... If you aren't willing to buy games, at least don't buy PIRATED games either people... That's the worst thing you can possibly do. You're both illegal and have paid for the benefit that way, not the smartest thing to do in any case. If you don't care about being illegal (and immoral) at least get the stuff like it was meant to, for free.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Meowayne
    Al3xand3r said:
    Meowayne, if the Wii has no worthy games then surely having those unworthy games for free via such immoral/illegal means shouldn't affect your decision to sell it."
    At the moment, homebrew and emulation are what keep the Wii interesting for me, and I am still hoping for Wii games that actually deliver what Nintendo promised in 05/06. The ability to play ISOs without hardware modification would only add to that; I would like to pirate games after Nintendo continues to kick the long-term Nintendo fan in the face. There are some more or less interesting Wii games, but every day I grow more reluctant to give Nintendo any money.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Al3xand3r

Again, if those games kick the long term Nintendo fan in the face, why pirate them? They must really suck. On the other hand, if Nintendo have delivered games worthy of their past (and they have, seeing as how many of their franschises  are already on the Wii, but anyway) or will deliver more, then they'll have fulfilled fan needs on some level, thus, again, why pirate them? To help make them stop delivering to those expectations in the future?

I mean, they have all this success with Wii Sports and Wii Fit, and yet they bothered to deliver all those games based on their old franschises too, for people like us. Maybe some of them weren't better than past efforts but still better than other studios' efforts. And they're already developing more of those (duh, no shit games like that take time, with Nintendo's dedication to quality and polish, considering they're reinventing Zelda it will take a long time to get right). Pirating those will certainly not help make them wish to waste more resources and time for such games when they can have better profit with the casual games.

And if you mean you'll pirate worthy third party games, while holding a grudge at Nintendo, then you're mostly hurting the wrong people, Nintendo will have already been paid by them for the SDK kits and the publishing fees. If on the other hand you'll pirate the casual games you're only reinforcing the fact more than just ignorant casual players are into them (a fact so many people want to deny), by showing people tech savy enough to pirate them are into them also.

And if you're so into piracy why do you claim emulation is one of Wii's plus points, I'm sure you do that (again illegally) for free on your PC or other systems.

So, yeah, you're wrong any way you look at this and your piracy will support the opposite behaviour of what you claim you want to see no matter what type of game you end up pirating really.

Not that any of this worries me, the Wii will be profitable regardless of piracy, just as the PS and PS2 were. I'm just explaining the situation in simple terms for you. Nintendo never gave up on its true fans, nor the core gamers, and even though there's a single year dry spell (less than that, after Wario Land and Disaster are released soon) there are many third party core games to fill in the void, I don't buy systems just for first party games after all. I'm glad the Wii is getting so many quality titles (and even more glad the WIi is sparking the creation of so many new IPs) even if so many people are eager to ignore them or attempt to claim they're not good merely for their bandwagon trends, their epeen or whatever other factor. Go Wii :)

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14  Edited By Vaxadrin
    Demilich said:
    "If I were to buy one solely for piracy, wouldn't that mean I was supporting Nintendo? Since I wouldn't have otherwise purchased the console or any games."
    Well you'd still be paying $250 for a Gamecube, so they'd be making $225 off you.
    Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Demilich
    Vaxadrin said:
    "Demilich said:
    "If I were to buy one solely for piracy, wouldn't that mean I was supporting Nintendo? Since I wouldn't have otherwise purchased the console or any games."
    Well you'd still be paying $250 for a Gamecube, so they'd be making $225 off you."
    GameCube has some great games.
    Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Vaxadrin

Yeah, totally.  That's why they re-released them all as Wii games.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Meowayne

Wow, this really got out of hand fast. Tehskeen.com is down, many of the articles regarding the backup-loader have been deleted, and waninkoko officially abandoned (had to abandon?) the project because someone leaked the beta. Well, so much for casual piracy. Bummer.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Meowayne

Well, there is now extensive inofficial beta-testing to confirm which games are working and which ones aren't, I tested some myself. NTSC-compatibility isn't so great, but if you have a PAL-Wii, there is quite a list of potential games that, apart from longer loading times (the backup loader can only use the disc drive at 3x speed), run perfectly. Mostly older games, though, the newer ones tend to not work properly (that includes Mario Kart and SSBB).
    Waninkoko has said on one occasion that he is going to clean up code of the 0.1 beta and release the source, so that other may finish the project.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By pause422

my question would be what would they pirate? cuz it sure as hell isn't good games.

xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By xruntime
    pause422 said:
    "my question would be what would they pirate? cuz it sure as hell isn't good games."
    zing!
    breton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By breton
    pause422 said:
    "my question would be what would they pirate? cuz it sure as hell isn't good games."
    That's why a lot of people do pirate.
    tomance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By tomance

I really wish they didn't leak the code so Waninkoko would finish it.  Maybe he'll cool down and continue with the project. 

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Game pirates are douchebags unless you are proving a point (aka Spore). It's really one of the assiest things you can do that doesn't involve harming another person directly, unless you're getting ROMs for games that you can't get any other way.

And people say that casual gamers are killing the industry.......MY ASS, they are.......
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Meowayne

Arkthemaniac:
     The lion's share of the money I have to spend freely goes to the video game industry. I spent thousands of bucks on video game hard- and software, and will continue to do so. 
    Still I pirate many games.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Meowayne

If anyone's interested: PAL and NTSC compatibility lists. (summary: PAL works a hell of a lot better.)

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26  Edited By BoG

You know, pirating Wii games isn't all that exciting. Most of them suck. Pirating a game like Zack and Wiki does more harm then good, as it is a quality title no one buys. Pirating something like Carnival games doesn't matter, as it sold so much, but who would really pirate that?

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Endogene
    BoG said:
    "You know, pirating Wii games isn't all that exciting. Most of them suck. Pirating a game like Zack and Wiki does more harm then good, as it is a quality title no one buys. Pirating something like Carnival games doesn't matter, as it sold so much, but who would really pirate that?"
    i totally do not have that one yet....
    brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#28  Edited By brukaoru

I honestly don't think it will be that many people who pirate Wii games. I don't think it will damper their sales much at all. Regardless though, I don't think piracy is ever justified.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29  Edited By BoG
    brukaoru said:
    "I honestly don't think it will be that many people who pirate Wii games. I don't think it will damper their sales much at all. Regardless though, I don't think piracy is ever justified."
    I guess you could say that I think the same way, but look at something like spore. In protest of the insane DRM, people pirated it, and EA is responding in a positive way. I usually think theft is bad, but look at that situation. You can judge for yourself whether or not it truly was justified, but it got a reaction.
    brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#30  Edited By brukaoru
    BoG said:
    "I guess you could say that I think the same way, but look at something like spore. In protest of the insane DRM, people pirated it, and EA is responding in a positive way. I usually think theft is bad, but look at that situation. You can judge for yourself whether or not it truly was justified, but it got a reaction."
    This is very true. It's sad to see that companies are still using DRM, it's just pointless to keep using DRM when pirates will pirate games or movies anyway. It did send a message to EA, but only allowing 2 more registrations than before isn't that big of a step, in my opinion. Unfortunately I don't see DRM being gone anytime soon, but there are a few people with some sense, like Brad Wardell.
    Meliv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Meliv

I'm going to be honest, I had a chipped wii and the cost of the chip + installation was worth more than all the games I pirated for it

Also: It was a lot of hassle not to brick your Wii and keep up with the new anti-piracy measures on new releases

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#32  Edited By BiggerBomb

No suprise. Where there is a great product for the consumer there will always be assholes who ruin it for everyone.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Meowayne
    Endogene said:
    "What will happen in your opinion?"
    Today, two months and several iterations of backup-launchers later, a version was released which offers full speed, region-free loading of about 90% of Wii game backups, on unmodded Wii consoles.

It'll be interesting to see what Nintendo is going to do about it.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By LiquidPrince

Why would people go through all that trouble just to play the handful of good games out on the Wii?

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Meowayne
    Why would people go through all that trouble

Installing everything needed should not take up more than 20-30 minutes. If your Wii is already Homebrew enabled, you can make it play backups in five minutes.
    just to play the handful of good games out on the Wii?
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Al3xand3r

Meh, rampant piracy hasn't exactly killed the DS. This is of no real consequence and it can actually help the system gain even more of a fanbase, much like the original Playstation gained its foothold.

bekern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By bekern

Well, for people saying that piracy hasn't affected other consoles, did they have ways to pirate games without getting a chip installed or having to buy tools(like how the DS uses flash carts)? I think the big deal about this is the fact that you don't need a chip installed the play the ISO's. It's already damn easy to pirate Wiiware and VC games and if this loader gets any better I expect piracy on the Wii to increase ALOT. I mean why do you think piracy is so rampant on the PSP? It's because it's so easy to do it.

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Endogene
    bekern said:
    "Well, for people saying that piracy hasn't affected other consoles, did they have ways to pirate games without getting a chip installed or having to buy tools(like how the DS uses flash carts)? I think the big deal about this is the fact that you don't need a chip installed the play the ISO's. It's already damn easy to pirate Wiiware and VC games and if this loader gets any better I expect piracy on the Wii to increase ALOT. I mean why do you think piracy is so rampant on the PSP? It's because it's so easy to do it."
    The difference with the PSP is that the .ISO files for the wii are way bigger so that will turn a lot of people off.
    Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#39  Edited By Discorsi
    breton said:
    "pause422 said:
    That's why a lot of people do pirate."
    No it is not.  Most people pirate in fact more then 90 percent do because they do not want to pay for the game.  If you try to make a different reason then you are just in denial.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Al3xand3r
    bekern said:
    "Well, for people saying that piracy hasn't affected other consoles, did they have ways to pirate games without getting a chip installed or having to buy tools(like how the DS uses flash carts)? I think the big deal about this is the fact that you don't need a chip installed the play the ISO's. It's already damn easy to pirate Wiiware and VC games and if this loader gets any better I expect piracy on the Wii to increase ALOT. I mean why do you think piracy is so rampant on the PSP? It's because it's so easy to do it."
    Meh, rampant piracy hasn't exactly killed the DS. This is of no real consequence and it can actually help the system gain even more of a fanbase, much like the original Playstation gained its foothold.

Having to buy something extra like a mod chip or a flash cart isn't a deal breaker for piracy, any soccer mom has been able to get a flash cart from the local dealer, maybe they charge a small fee to load games (like they charge for pirated discs for other formats), so it's to the stores' interest to inform clueless people about piracy (without exactly telling them how illegal it is at times) and what not. Which is why piracy is just this widespread.

Piracy happens on any popular format from the most tech savy to the most clueless user. People who game on PC and barely know how to use Windows have learnt how to copy paste crack files in order to play the pirated games they get and what not (though they often don't even have to do that). Piracy was certainly more rampant for the original Playstation than it is for PSP too, either with mod chips or with the disc swapping.

Besides, people still need to acquire the burned DVDs for the Wii, if they're tech savy enough to make them by themselves (and thus not need to buy something extra like the mod chip) then they were informed enough to be able to find a place that installs mod chips anyway, otherwise they still need to purchase something extra anyway (in this case the actual game discs) so it's still not very different. What I'm saying is that, if they can find a game provider then they could find a mod chip provider just as easily while if they don't want a game provider (making backup CDs on their own) then they were likely tech savy enough to have found a mod chip provider anyway.

Piracy is just as widespread on consoles as on PC too, if not even more thanks to the above. They merely don't have a way to measure it there as only few downloads (or even no downloads if someone gets the original CD and then makes copies) can result in tons and tons of copies they end up selling to said clueless users. So, in a sense, it is worse than PC piracy since it not only allows people to get games without paying the creators and publishers, it also funds questionable parties that don't deserve it.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Meowayne

A little over 2 months after Nintendo closed the Twilight Hack for every 4.0-console, a new hack using SSBB is released.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#42  Edited By Willy105
    @Vaxadrin said:
    " Demilich said:
    Well you'd still be paying $250 for a Gamecube, so they'd be making $225 off you. "
    They actually make like $6 on every Wii, but it's still a lot considering the other companies lose over a hundred dollars on every machine (Sony).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.