Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Dec 07, 2010

Cataclysm is the third expansion pack to World of Warcraft. This expansion revamped and changed much of the original world content in addition to providing new areas, dungeons, and playable races.

World Of Warcraft Prepares For Cataclysm in Patch 4.0.1

• 96 results
    Gilsham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#51  Edited By Gilsham
    @OtakuGamer:  hunter esp now they use focus over mana
    Alphiehyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By Alphiehyr

People still play this? I quit years ago.

Etaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By Etaber

I'm not a big fan of the pre-expansion patch because I find it gives me a big case of WoW blue balls. Once the novelty of shiny new spells and talents wear off you're still doing the same old content for the next 1-2 months. It was the same for BC and WOTLK x.0 patches.

HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By HaltIamReptar

Fucking hell.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#55  Edited By ajamafalous
    @stinky said:
    "  as a long time player, i am happy for these changes to come about.  i dream of a WoW where i don't have to fuss over spreadsheets or visit Elitist Jerks to figure out how to play my character.  "
    I quit because it's no longer an issue.

Game has just become way too casual for my tastes.
    TheYear20XX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#56  Edited By TheYear20XX

That second picture is pretty good. Kudos.

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#57  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

Fucking awesome, I can't wait for Cat 
    trav3ler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#58  Edited By trav3ler

This sounds, at least to me, like Blizzard fears the impending release of Guild Wars 2 and/or Star Wars: TOR. 

That they'd overhaul their old product (even though it is their flagship game still) this much speaks volumes for how much Blizzard is actually worried about upcoming releases.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#59  Edited By Vinchenzo

WoW is now fully catered towards casuals. Enjoy! 

I'll remember the good old days where I gave up my life to raid a handful of times per week! And when the dog couldn't be walked because I was in the middle of something. NEVER FORGET!

stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By stinky
    @trav3ler said:
    " This sounds, at least to me, like Blizzard fears the impending release of Guild Wars 2 and/or Star Wars: TOR.  That they'd overhaul their old product (even though it is their flagship game still) this much speaks volumes for how much Blizzard is actually worried about upcoming releases. "
    how? this is what blizzard does. create, refine. WoW has been constantly undergoing changes since it first came out. 
    teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#61  Edited By teh_destroyer

And I feel fine..................

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#62  Edited By Kyle

DAMN IT! And I was just about to feel great about uninstalling WoW for at least the next two months. *SIGH* will I never be free?

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#63  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Very stupid question here, but is there a way to test my Internet connection to see if it would be able to run World of Warcraft properly?  I've run it before so I know there are no system problems, but I'd like to know if my shabby Internet speed is going to be enough.

Avatar image for lordcmdrstryker
    LordCmdrStryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#64  Edited By LordCmdrStryker
    @Sparky_Buzzsaw: You can theoretically run WoW on a 56k modem, so as long as you have something like 128k upload (which is like the slowest DSL you can get) then you should be fine.   I suppose you could go to speedtest.net and give it a shot.  My Comcast tested at like 21Mbps down and 3Mbps up.

@trav3ler:  Blizzard  makes like 150 million per month on subs alone.  You're right, they must be terrified.
    fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#65  Edited By fox01313

Curious to see this as right now I'm using the prepaid card which should go through Hallow's eve which should be enough time to see these changes firsthand then decide if I'm even going to bother with getting the next expansion (and even then I'll only keep playing wow for a few months after getting that expansion...there's too many other good games out there to play).

riffingt0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By riffingt0n
    @gakon5 said:
    " @riffingt0n: Ghostcrawler has said they're bringing back crowd control for Cataclysm, especially in 5-man instances.  I've heard a number of people assert that "heroics are back"; we'll see about raid dungeons. "
    Interesting.  I guess I'll see if they make good on that.

It was a bit bizarre of them to go out of the way to add CC in all classes in the same expansion they made it meaningless in 5-mans.  I wonder if they picked up on that.
    OhDearAudrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By OhDearAudrey

Can't wait for my patch to finish downloading so i can play

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#68  Edited By Kyle
    @LordCmdrStryker said:
    " @trav3ler:  Blizzard  makes like 150 million per month on subs alone.  You're right, they must be terrified. "
    Hahaha, this. Guild Wars 2?! Oh noooo!
    Fribain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Fribain
    @Vorbis said:
    " Everytime I get nostalgic about the old days and consider resubbing I just look at the most recent patch notes and realise there's almost nothing left of the original WoW I loved. Then the urge subsides. "
    Nostalgia is nostalgia. Vanilla WoW was a terrible mess of a game.
    Prismatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Prismatic

So tempted to resub when Catacylsm hits ...

Worgens, Goblins and cool hunter changes.

MUST RESIST!

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

Jesus christ, they just made me want to play my Warlock again. 

The bastards.

StartAndPause

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By StartAndPause

Glad I dropped that habit a while back!

wobblit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By wobblit
    @Vorbis: I am sure you would find the new WoW much more fun than the old vanilla version. When you first play it is all seen through eyes that thing everything is new and exciting, you remember it much more fondly due to it being something fresh and new to you at the time. 

My best MMO experience was the first months of playing EverQuest due to MMOs being all new to me, but I think that WoW is a far better game than EQ ever was. Making a new EQ char now would be boring compared to leveling up a new char in WoW, and no MMO can ever have the amazing freshness factor again for me.  

After your first char in any MMO people tend to become analytical in how they play. Any location you meet is now just a variation of walls compared to the awesome fire-zone or the scary as hell mansion you considered them to be on your first character. 
    mattbodega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#75  Edited By mattbodega
    @Sparky_Buzzsaw: According to Blizzard ,if you're not pulling at least 1MB/s on your connection, than you won't be able to use the streaming WoW play until you've downloaded "most" of the game prior.
    akute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By akute

MMOs always looks good until I download the clients and try to run them on my laptop.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#77  Edited By jakob187

The patch is 4GB, so if you are updating, be ready for a LOOOOOOOONG day. 

Despite all that, I quit playing WoW about a year+ ago.  Nonetheless, the one thing I've heard from all my friend that makes them giddy with joy is the return of old-school dungeon style, where you'll need to use CC and actual SKILL in order to clear shit rather than faceroll your keyboard and roflstomp through any raid.  That makes even me smile.  = D

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By meteora

They got rid of soul shards? Nice.

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#79  Edited By Vorbis
    @Fribain said:

" @Vorbis said:

" Everytime I get nostalgic about the old days and consider resubbing I just look at the most recent patch notes and realise there's almost nothing left of the original WoW I loved. Then the urge subsides. "

Nostalgia is nostalgia. Vanilla WoW was a terrible mess of a game. "
    Oh yes, I dont deny the game was a terrible mess back then, but that was the charm. The 40man raids were ball bustling hard to organize, only a few guilds per server were seeing the top content, back when Epics meant something. Then there was the old PvP system where you destroyed everyone in a few hits because of your high end raid gear, it was broken, but it was glorious.

@enYallione said:

" @Vorbis: I am sure you would find the new WoW much more fun than the old vanilla version. When you first play it is all seen through eyes that thing everything is new and exciting, you remember it much more fondly due to it being something fresh and new to you at the time.   My best MMO experience was the first months of playing EverQuest due to MMOs being all new to me, but I think that WoW is a far better game than EQ ever was. Making a new EQ char now would be boring compared to leveling up a new char in WoW, and no MMO can ever have the amazing freshness factor again for me.   After your first char in any MMO people tend to become analytical in how they play. Any location you meet is now just a variation of walls compared to the awesome fire-zone or the scary as hell mansion you considered them to be on your first character.  "

Nah, I stuck around through TBC and alot of Wotlk, I stopped a year ago when the Crusaders Coliseum appeared and all my alts were as well geared as my 5year old main. They had just changed too much, it's selfish to say it, but I prefered it when there was a gap between a casual player and someone who raided 6 nights a week. And I know what you mean about your first MMO, nothing will ever beat Ultima Online back in the day, now that's some real nostalgia.
    sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#80  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw
    @LordCmdrStryker:
    @MattBodega:

Thanks for the input, folks.  I'm going to re-download the game soon and hopefully sign back up at the end of the month.
    Blitzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Blitzer
     LOL at all the haters. WoW is a great game and the best MMO on the market, face the facts. 
    @Red
    said:
    " Downloading patch now, but it's taking hella long. So this new patch includes the redesigned Talent Trees, or is that not until Cata comes out? "

Yes, the new talent trees and UI changes happened today.  (Well if the servers ever come back up that is)
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#82  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @trav3ler: Maybe it speaks to their willingness to improve their game?  It saddens me that you're so quick to associate change with fear.
    Suikoden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#83  Edited By Suikoden

It is a little sad to see the old zones go. I will sign back up to play cataclysm and take one last trip around.
    Fribain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Fribain
    @Vorbis: 
     Yeah, I'll admit I do miss vanilla immensely from time to time. Finally hitting 60 after about a year of getting characters to 40 and then promptly deleting them felt like such a huge achievement. Hitting the level cap with alts never felt quite the same after that. I never got into raiding during vanilla, though. By the time I had gotten to 60 and had gotten the best gear I could get without actually raiding, most guilds were already into higher-tier dungeons and there was never any time for gearing up 60s in crappy blues. I think that's where most of my contempt for vanilla comes from.
    deadmonkeys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By deadmonkeys
    @jakob187 said:

" Nonetheless, the one thing I've heard from all my friend that makes them giddy with joy is the return of old-school dungeon style, where you'll need to use CC and actual SKILL in order to clear shit rather than faceroll your keyboard and roflstomp through any raid.  That makes even me smile.  = D "

CC is back? Oh FUCK yes. I'm tired of mashing my 1-5 keys as a mage and having to heal overzealous pricks as a priest. Now we'll have to work together instead of "I'm gonna pull everything, so heal me / AOE the shit out of these. kthx."

[Moon] / [Star] are BACK BABY!
    dontsleep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By dontsleep

That is a bad-ass looking bulldog.

Avatar image for satelliteoflove
    SatelliteOfLove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#87  Edited By SatelliteOfLove

If only they hadn't embarked upon their x.0's dogma: fighting min-maxers by crippling spec options.

Granted, after Wrath of the B Team's jerking class balancing around like a bull roarer making even pure DPS classes collect mulitple sets of gear...

Nostalgia is nostalgia. Vanilla WoW was a terrible mess of a game.

We have always been at war with Oceania.
    player66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By player66

What is this WoW?

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#89  Edited By demonbear
    @DeadMonkeys said:
    " @jakob187 said:

" Nonetheless, the one thing I've heard from all my friend that makes them giddy with joy is the return of old-school dungeon style, where you'll need to use CC and actual SKILL in order to clear shit rather than faceroll your keyboard and roflstomp through any raid.  That makes even me smile.  = D "

CC is back? Oh FUCK yes. I'm tired of mashing my 1-5 keys as a mage and having to heal overzealous pricks as a priest. Now we'll have to work together instead of "I'm gonna pull everything, so heal me / AOE the shit out of these. kthx."  [Moon] / [Star] are BACK BABY! "
    Its funny because i've read "MOON STAR" and had no idea what you were talking about. Then I recalled what they were used for.... wayyyy back then. Indeed its good news.
    DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By DH69

so still no dance studio? im sick of the crappy dances half the horde have. i want new dances, or atleast the undeads dance for my tauren and belf

JimmyPancakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By JimmyPancakes

Great caption about the water effects. :)

Osiris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#92  Edited By Osiris

I'm very much a WoW player, more casual then I used to, very pleased with Cata and the fact that I can purely focus on 10 mans with my group of friends. Looking forward to try this madness out !

morden2261

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By morden2261

Can't wait for the European servers to come back up this afternoon!

dvorak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By dvorak

Pretty interested in most of those changes. I think my favorites are the skill tree and the removal of some confusing and redundant stats. 

MP5 was always the most bizarre stat in my opinion. I mean why not just break it down per second?

Formanovo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Formanovo

Still makes me wanna go back and just try out the new talents - seem way different

Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Hourai

That's good that they fixed the emblem system, which basically ruined WoTLK. I'll hop back in once Cataclysm is out, since there isn't anything much I can do sitting at 5000 GearScore. I need ICC to upgrade, yet I can't get into ICC. So I dunno. Hopefully Cataclysm makes endgame a little less terrible. 

Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#97  Edited By Death_Burnout

Installing this is bringing my computer to its knees!

Also...longest install ever...

stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By stinky
    @DeadMonkeys said:

" @jakob187 said:

CC is back? Oh FUCK yes. I'm tired of mashing my 1-5 keys as a mage and having to heal overzealous pricks as a priest. Now we'll have to work together instead of "I'm gonna pull everything, so heal me / AOE the shit out of these. kthx."  [Moon] / [Star] are BACK BABY! "

count me as another who  is happy to hear this. 
    man i remember going in BC heroic dungeons as a rogue and sapping really being part of a do or die encounter.  
     returned to play Lich King, and that ability might as well not existed.  

dont want the game to be all about attack rotations. 

PS never liked Fan of Knives as a rogue,  just didnt seem to be what my class was about. /shrug
    jpjordan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By jpjordan

Haven't played in a year but as soon as this was announced I knew I would be back in once it came out.  Looking forward to it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.