Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Has anyone purchased a non-microsoft 250 gigabit hard drive?

bigdaddyjack21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By bigdaddyjack21

Hey now,

I am looking at buying a bigger hard drive as I have the 4GB and I noticed that the MS branded hard drive is expensive 90 bones for a hard drive it pretty ridiculous. Has anyone tried a non-MS hard drive in their system and have you had any problems since using that hard drive with your 360?

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By ShadowSkill11

A. I'm pretty sure you mean gigabyte not gigabit

B. The XBox 360 uses proprietary hard drives in their consoles which is the reason why they can charge whatever they want for them. This is a big weakness compared to it's chief competitor the PS3 for people looking to upgrade their hard drives. For example, an old 20 GB PS3 can be upgraded to a 500 GB model for about $50 bucks.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148371

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Spoonman671

Sorry dude, but you have to buy a Microsoft HDD if you want more storage.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By 71Ranchero
    @ShadowSkill11 said:

B. The XBox 360 uses proprietary hard drives in their consoles which is the reason why they can charge whatever they want for them. This is a big weakness compared to it's chief competitor the PS3 for people looking to upgrade their hard drives. For example, an old 20 GB PS3 can be upgraded to a 500 GB model for about $50 bucks.

As much as everyone likes to think the motive was greed, I think it more then likely had much more to do with piracy and the old way of thinking towards storage on a console. Remember, PS3 is the exception, not the standard and I will bet you anything that the next PS wont support a standard hard drive after all the shit that has happened as of late. 
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@Atramentous said:

@ShadowSkill11 said:

As much as everyone likes to think the motive was greed, I think it more then likely had much more to do with piracy and the old way of thinking towards storage on a console. Remember, PS3 is the exception, not the standard and I will bet you anything that the next PS wont support a standard hard drive after all the shit that has happened as of late.

It is greed. All HDD manufacturers already make the encrypted drives as standard and MS uses three major brands. There's nothing particularly special about the drives themselves beyond a slightly factory changed firmware. Original XBOX had the same encrypted drives just in PATA as opposed to SATA.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ShadowSkill11

@ShaggyPolarBear said:

actually, as I understand the xbox HDD's were just a regular assed laptop HDD (at least on the old models). I think modders found a way to increase it by making their own drives, but I'm not 100% sure, has anyone else heard this and can confirm?

Yeah, the old XBox hard drives where just standard IDE hard drives. Theoretically you could make a copy by using imaging software on it.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By 71Ranchero
    @SeriouslyNow said:

@Atramentous said:

@ShadowSkill11 said:

As much as everyone likes to think the motive was greed, I think it more then likely had much more to do with piracy and the old way of thinking towards storage on a console. Remember, PS3 is the exception, not the standard and I will bet you anything that the next PS wont support a standard hard drive after all the shit that has happened as of late.

It is greed. All HDD manufacturers already make the encrypted drives as standard and MS uses three major brands. There's nothing particularly special about the drives themselves beyond a slightly factory changed firmware. Original XBOX had the same encrypted drives just in PATA as opposed to SATA.

That is pretty poor reasoning. If you want to make that your point of argument to justify your feelings of entitlement then you should also be crusading against Memory cards and DS carts because they use standard flash memory. 
    ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ShadowSkill11

@Atramentous said:

@ShadowSkill11 said:

I can guarantee there will be on board mass storage of some type. Until Sarah Palins "real America" gets broadband to every home mandatory cloud based storage and HD streaming isn't going to be an option.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ShadowSkill11

@rebgav said:

@bigdaddyjack21 said:

Hey now,

I am looking at buying a bigger hard drive as I have the 4GB and I noticed that the MS branded hard drive is expensive 90 bones for a hard drive it pretty ridiculous. Has anyone tried a non-MS hard drive in their system and have you had any problems since using that hard drive with your 360?

You can format a 16GB storage partition on the USB HDD of your choice. I think it's still one partition per storage device though.

USB 2.0 is kind of slow man. You don't want to try and play installed games off of it.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@Atramentous said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

@Atramentous said:

@ShadowSkill11 said:

That is pretty poor reasoning. If you want to make that your point of argument to justify your feelings of entitlement then you should also be crusading against Memory cards and DS carts because they use standard flash memory.

It isn't poor reasoning. Poor reasoning comes from lack of knowledge. It's just a fact. MS puts a huge premium on the hard drives and they could be easily replaced, just as in the PS3. All modern PATA and SATA drives support in firmware encryption - it's a standard feature of all drives. Beyond that MS could also use other forms of software encryption (which they do anyway) just as the PS3 does. Considering the XBOX 360 HDD's are easily cracked there is no valid reason for them to be so expensive, they are just standard SATA drives. Don't fucking insult me because you're ignorant.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By 71Ranchero
    @ShadowSkill11 said:

@Atramentous said:

@ShadowSkill11 said:

I can guarantee there will be on board mass storage of some type. Until Sarah Palins "real America" gets broadband to every home mandatory cloud based storage and HD streaming isn't going to be an option.

Of course there will be a hard drive or flash drive. But I doubt you will be able to swap it with a retail hard drive at your leisure. 
    71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By 71Ranchero
    @SeriouslyNow said:

@Atramentous said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

@Atramentous said:

@ShadowSkill11 said:

That is pretty poor reasoning. If you want to make that your point of argument to justify your feelings of entitlement then you should also be crusading against Memory cards and DS carts because they use standard flash memory.

It isn't poor reasoning. Poor reasoning comes from lack of knowledge. It's just a fact. MS puts a huge premium on the hard drives and they could be easily replaced, just as in the PS3. All modern PATA and SATA drives support in firmware encryption - it's a standard feature of all drives. Beyond that MS could also use other forms of software encryption (which they do anyway) just as the PS3 does. Considering the XBOX 360 HDD's are easily cracked there is no valid reason for them to be so expensive, they are just standard SATA drives. Don't fucking insult me because you're ignorant.

Don't insult me because you are butt hurt because you cant always have it your way =)
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@Atramentous said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

@Atramentous said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

@Atramentous said:

@ShadowSkill11 said:

Don't insult me because you are butt hurt because you cant always have it your way =)

I never insulted you. I replied to a comment. As I said already, your ignorance doesn't make me wrong. MS prices its HDD's well beyond what's acceptable, even with the added pre installed software connector, housing and branding.

Waffles13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Waffles13

Google HDDhackr, buy a 250GB laptop drive, get a couple of different sized Torx screwdrivers and follow the tutorials. Requires a decent bit of technical knowledge (you need to boot into DOS), but you can get 250 for a little over $50. Did it 2 years ago and haven't had a single issue. If you've got the time and knowledge, give it a shot.

Also, you can't be banned for an upgraded HDD. Sharing the firmware for the drive is technically illegal, but using it for yourself is not, and once hacked it literally is just a regular Xbox drive to both the system and Xbox Live.

EDIT: I should point out that you need to fully read the tutorials BEFORE buying anything. There is a relatively large but still limited number of WD drives that work, so unless you have a lucky one, you'll need to order one specifically for HDDhackr.

GalacticPunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By GalacticPunt

I think what @bigdaddyjack21 was talking about is this.

There are various third party sellers on Amazon shipping generic 250gig drives for half the price Microsoft does. I have no experience with them, but lots of people were saying to go this route when big specials on the 4gig were going on. It seems to be well-reviewed.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By 71Ranchero
    @SeriouslyNow said:

@Atramentous said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

@Atramentous said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

@Atramentous said:

@ShadowSkill11 said:

Don't insult me because you are butt hurt because you cant always have it your way =)

I never insulted you. I replied to a comment. As I said already, your ignorance doesn't make me wrong. MS prices its HDD's well beyond what's acceptable, even with the added pre installed software connector, housing and branding.

I never said that Microsoft wasn't trying to make a profit on hard drives first of all. Thats called business. I was saying that the idea that a 360 isn't compatible with an off the shelf HD does not have to reflect greed on there part. 

And yes, you insulted me by acting like a child and bringing this down to insults. Im sorry but I cant take you serious(huzzah!) when your going to act like that. Frankly it further shows that you suffer from "gamer entitlement". 
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@Atramentous: Ugh. Ok, kid.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ShadowSkill11

Would you two stop hitting the quote button so I don't keep getting notifications every time you all continue your lovers spat?

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By keyhunter
    @ShaggyPolarBear said:

actually, as I understand the xbox HDD's were just a regular assed laptop HDD (at least on the old models). I think modders found a way to increase it by making their own drives, but I'm not 100% sure, has anyone else heard this and can confirm?

I can confirm this. I did it myself. You need a specific laptop HDD though, and you need to hook your old HD to your PC and save everything to it, and then transfer it over to the new one. And also you need to get a hold of the dashboard software and all that jazz. And run some sketchy programs. You can find step by step instructions on THE INTERNET I'm guessing. Worked fine for me. 
    Of course my 360 ended up dieing on me soon after and I ended up buying a S model with a 250 gig HD anyways, making it all for nothing.
    galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#21  Edited By galiant

They sell 31 GB harddrives now?

Henrikhoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Henrikhoe

you guys have no fucking clue what so ever, no you dont need to spend 100 bucks on MS one, you can  buy the casing from ebay and use your own 2,5" hdd. 

Or you can just buy the 250gb with a casing on ebay, they cost 40 dollars for the 250gb hdd + case. 

clueless forum

kermoosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By kermoosh

wel actually my friend said that you can use an external hard drive, i dont remember how but hes a tech guy so it must be true

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jadeskye

This is the most hilarious thread i've seen in a while. you're all so clueless when google is RIGHT there.

NicoAUS1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By NicoAUS1982

@bigdaddyjack21:

Hey dude,

Thought id drop you a line, not sure if you've done this or not but I purchased the 250GB HDD from a chineses retailer through Ebay, cost me about $50 inc postage, and its fine, works perfectly, never had an issue with noise or performance, to anyone who didnt know its a legit HD, fits very well also, solid connection...

The only thing thats happened is 2 nights ago, I went to puchase Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (Xbox Original game through XBL) but those Xbox original games do not work on the non-microsoft HDD's... other than that get one, saved me heaps of $$$, and all regular downloads like demos and dlc work fine...

Hope this helps! i

(il pm this to you as well...)

peace

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By Branthog

People believing that there's something special about the branded "proprietary" MS storage is exactly what allows them to continue to exploit people with the fucking unbelievably ridiculous overpriced pieces of crap in the first place.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By Dany
    Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#28  Edited By Brendan

@Branthog said:

People believing that there's something special about the branded "proprietary" MS storage is exactly what allows them to continue to exploit people with the fucking unbelievably ridiculous overpriced pieces of crap in the first place.

I'm insulted by your lack of respect for the advanced technology that is 5400 RPM HDD's. Apologize.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#29  Edited By mariokart64fan

it has 0 to do with piracy, ,

who ever came up and said just making your own hard drive deals with piracy is crazy , in fact if you take off the outer shell there is a regular hard drive in there ,

but thats a chore and , i think if ms catches you modifying your hard drive youll be busted , -banned from xbox live

and wii u is going to use external hard drives , -so saying ps4 wont use them is bogus unless sony says other wise id wai t and see so in short you have to either 1- use flash drives up to 32 gig , or the ms hard drive for xbox360 slim

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#30  Edited By VoshiNova

Yup, my sister bought one and it works a-ok.

The only thing is that it won't play original xbox titles, but there may be a way around that.

c0kemusheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By c0kemusheen

To the people saying that the PS3 can upgrade hard drives for much cheaper prices. You do realize that you have to physically open the machine and replace the components, completely voiding the warranty. I'd much rather have the xbox model that actually allows upgrading even with the inflated cost

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.