Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Just pass me the controller.

Avatar image for captainpeachfuzz
    CaptainPeachfuzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By CaptainPeachfuzz

I dislike the Kinect! I'm an old school gamer and I'm not too fond of the idea of the Kinect. Microsoft has turned my beloved adult oriented system into a child's play thing. I can't believe the amount of hype that was built in this peripheral and even shocked of the outcome of people who purchased the Kinect. I'd say "Just pass me a controller" any day.

Cramsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Cramsy
    @CaptainPeachfuzz said:
    " I dislike the Kinect! I'm an old school gamer and I'm not too fond of the idea of the Kinect. Microsoft has turned my beloved adult oriented system into a child's play thing. I can't believe the amount of hype that was built in this peripheral and even shocked of the outcome of people who purchased the Kinect. I'd say "Just pass me a controller" any day. "
    Oh! Did they cancel Gears Of War, Halo, Call Of Duty, Forza,Grand Theft Auto,Fallout and Fable because they are devoting 100% of their resources to Kinect?  

Just don't buy it. 
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By MikkaQ

I hate it when people say "I don't like motion controls cause I'm an old school gamer!!". Okay I get that it can be uncomfortable sometimes, even too much effort. But phrasing it like that makes you sound like an asshole. I took a break from playing River City Ransom to go buy a Kinect, it's entirely possible to be "an old school gamer" and enjoy motion games here and there.  

Also it's too early to judge the thing. We'll see what games are around it for it in a year or so. Should have a much better idea what it's capable of, and what kinds of games it attracts. Right now it's the typical motion device launch lineup. Can't wait to see where it goes.

Mrskidders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Mrskidders
    @CaptainPeachfuzz: How old are you?
    Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

K. 
    sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By sagesebas
    @Mrskidders: probably like 13
    metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By metalmoog

I hope it works as well as the Power Glove did for Nintendo in the 89. Playing Punch-Out!! has never been more frustrating.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jimbo

I do think they should have put more effort into demonstrating how it can be used as an enhancement for their existing market (ie. headtracking in an FPS or something).  They've definitely gone all in on using Kinect to try and take Nintendo's market, and they've made that intention crystal clear.  

It's inevitable that such a strong shift of focus will impact on what else is being made, especially if it's successful.  It's naive to think otherwise.  How modern console gamers are looking at the Kinect/Wii (kids, soccer moms, whatever you want to call it) market right now is exactly how the PC audience looked at the modern console audience when those platforms were becoming dominant.  What subsequently happened to PC gaming shows that they are right to be worried.  A lot of the best talent got sucked away to where the easiest money was - that this required them to make simpler games wasn't an issue then and it won't be an issue this time either.  

If (and that's still a big 'if' at this stage) developers believe there is easier money to be made making Kinect games then that's what they'll do.  That didn't happen with the Wii simply because Nintendo's first party software was consistently far too good for anybody else to even get a look in.  If Kinect becomes huge however, then (unlike Wii) I expect third party developers to thrive on the platform - because Microsoft is nowhere near the level of Nintendo in terms of being able to dominate with their own software - and I see no reason to believe that opportunity wouldn't turn the heads of at least some of 'our' developers and affect the games 'we' get to play.

CaptainPeachfuzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CaptainPeachfuzz
    @sagesebas:  I'm so 13 :/
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @CaptainPeachfuzz said:
    " @sagesebas:  I'm so 13 :/ "
    Well, by that response...
    meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By meteora

ITS THE FUTURE BABY

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By WickedCestus

Get over it. Don't buy it. Everything will be okay, don't worry.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Pass me the controller

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#14  Edited By JJWeatherman

Oh god. Were entering an era where "old school gaming" just means using a controller. How did this happen?

FlyingRat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By FlyingRat

I think they can co-exist just fine. I don't think Microsoft has turned your beloved system into anything. Relax man, the Xbox will still have plenty of regular-ass videogames that you're used to.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jkz
    @JJWeatherman said:
    " Oh god. Were entering an era where "old school gaming" just means using a controller. How did this happen? "
    Fucking hell that's what I thought of too. Something has gone horribly wrong somewhere along the line. 

Also, are video-game consoles really adult-oriented systems? Most of the games we play on them are incredibly juvenile in tone, and simplistic in nature, and while that's not to say that it's not okay to enjoy them (I certainly do), I would disagree if you said that they represented a concerted effort to create adult-oriented content.
    Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By Brendan
    @jukezypoo said:
    " @JJWeatherman said:
    " Oh god. Were entering an era where "old school gaming" just means using a controller. How did this happen? "
    Fucking hell that's what I thought of too. Something has gone horribly wrong somewhere along the line.  Also, are video-game consoles really adult-oriented systems? Most of the games we play on them are incredibly juvenile in tone, and simplistic in nature, and while that's not to say that it's not okay to enjoy them (I certainly do), I would disagree if you said that they represented a concerted effort to create adult-oriented content. "

Agreed, I don't think violence equates adult content.  I would counter with the term "adolescent oriented", in reference to the large amount of simplistic stories, violence and sexed up women.  I love games, but I don't pretend that most are shooting for people over 20.
    cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#18  Edited By cornbredx

Core Games tend to be aimed at adults.
    When you say old school gamer I think "playing games from last generation or before that played on a regular basis"

I don't see motion controls as being oriented at core gamers as of yet (although Move is showing the most potential to go there) and mainly just a way to get casual or non gamers to get the system or try it out. Statistically casual gamers are not reliable to keep you making money so this market, imo, will do you well for now but will quickly drop out. To me Kinect is an amazing peice of technology with nothing to prove why it's worth the investment for a core gamer. I suspect Microsoft is hoping more so right now to get in on the casual money they are losing out on (by originally being one of the most  core gamer focused markets) and expand into that medium.

I don't think currently core gamer development will be an issue. If you're afraid of what will happen 10 years in the future because of this then be prepared to hate games in 10 years. Innovation is inevitable whether you like it or not. I hate motion controls, and I play a lot of games from early 2000 to way back to 1980, I am generally unimpressed by current gen games as they focus to much on graphics and dont really innovate gameplay that much. I still find games every once in awhile that appeal to me, but these seem to be rare sadly. I am fine with this, though, cus I know that they're going to keep innovating and time keeps moving forward. 

I still have my old games to play so whatever, let the new kids have their motion controls... its cool. No need to get mad about it. Unless it's true you are young in which case you're only mad because you aren't used to it yet. I buy games I'm interested in and I dont buy games I'm not. If that means at some point they entirely stop making games that appeal to me, i feel that's as inevitable as getting old.

CaptainPeachfuzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By CaptainPeachfuzz
    @FluxWaveZ:  Look at the bio, a**.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.