Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Microsoft To Discontinue Microsoft Points by the end of 2012

• 77 results
    Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By Aus_azn

As long as I get my change back in $.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#52  Edited By big_jon

thank God.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By hatking

Good. Fucking worthless system has kept me from acting on 'Deals of the Week' many times. If all I had to spend was the couple of dollars to get the random DLC for the game I haven't touched in months, I might do it, but I always have to round up to five. Fucking stupid.

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#54  Edited By DukesT3

@SMTDante89 said:

@FreakAche said:

Now what will we use for currency after the apocalypse?

Bottlecaps

Yen.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#55  Edited By ShadowConqueror

Fucking finally.

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

#56  Edited By KaneRobot

This sucks if true...hope it isn't. No more getting 50 dollars of points for $40, 20 dollars of points for $15, etc. All you people celebrating this can go piss right off.

People whining about having a spare dollar fifty or whatever in your account are sad little creatures. You really think you're never going to buy anything on the marketplace again and use that up? If you're smart about when you're buying your points, you're basically getitng a discount every time you buy something (and if the item is on sale, a discount on top of a discount), which more than makes up for whatever paltry amount you have left over in your account anyway.

Eliminating points just give MS tighter control over their pricing. No more cheating the system with discounted points. I guess you all enjoy not saving money.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By captain_clayman

awesome.

Avatar image for captaincharisma
    CaptainCharisma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By CaptainCharisma

The good thing about Mictosoft Points is that Amazon and Toys R Us have had pretty good sales on the cards in the past so you would be getting basically $20 for $15. I've gotten deals on plenty of these and can't say the same for PSN and the Wii Marketplace.

BatmanReturned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By BatmanReturned

This is still just a rumor. As much as it makes sense from a consumer stand point Microsoft benefits very little from this other than customer service. They would essentially losing money which is why I honestly doubt it will happen.

StrawHatLaw13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By StrawHatLaw13

@GreggD said:

Assuming they keep selling pre-paid cards with codes on 'em, I couldn't care less either way.

This. I hope this move is not about trying to obligate people to give their credit cards on xbl.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#61  Edited By Winternet

Time to introduce bitcoins for the next gen consoles.

Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#62  Edited By Elazul

@Video_Game_King said:

I don't have a problem with Nintendo's Wii Points system, since it's easier to understand than the Microsoft system.

I would agree if it weren't for the fact that Nintendo charges us the same number of pounds for points as Americans get charged in dollars. This basically means that Wii and DS ware is one-and-a-half times more expensive over here for no good reason, whereas Microsoft content is only marginally more expensive to account for our 20% sales tax. Granted, the system is simpler, but it really needs to be managed better.

ze_ro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By ze_ro

I'll believe it when I see it

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#64  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@KaneRobot said:

This sucks if true...hope it isn't. No more getting 50 dollars of points for $40, 20 dollars of points for $15, etc. All you people celebrating this can go piss right off.

People whining about having a spare dollar fifty or whatever in your account are sad little creatures. You really think you're never going to buy anything on the marketplace again and use that up? If you're smart about when you're buying your points, you're basically getitng a discount every time you buy something (and if the item is on sale, a discount on top of a discount), which more than makes up for whatever paltry amount you have left over in your account anyway.

Eliminating points just give MS tighter control over their pricing. No more cheating the system with discounted points. I guess you all enjoy not saving money.

Yup, people seem to be forgetting that the minimum amount you'll be able to add will still be £5 (because of bank charges) and the fact that we actually get games on XBLA cheaper than on PSN/Steam because of the points system. Everything will automatically be £1-2 more expensive now and like you said, no more point cards means they can control the prices even more.

The points system is going away to allow Microsoft to make more profit, not to benefit us.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#65  Edited By Sooty

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

Grimluck343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Grimluck343

@StrawHatLaw13 said:

@GreggD said:

Assuming they keep selling pre-paid cards with codes on 'em, I couldn't care less either way.

This. I hope this move is not about trying to obligate people to give their credit cards on xbl.

Especially with all of the FIFA scamming Patrick keeps railing on about.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By phantomzxro

@WinterSnowblind said:

@KaneRobot said:

Yup, people seem to be forgetting that the minimum amount you'll be able to add will still be £5 (because of bank charges) and the fact that we actually get games on XBLA cheaper than on PSN/Steam because of the points system. Everything will automatically be £1-2 more expensive now and like you said, no more point cards means they can control the prices even more.

The points system is going away to allow Microsoft to make more profit, not to benefit us.

I don't fully see your point in how MS will make more money on this because of the 5 bucks minimum. It the same way on PSN i'm guessing you can add money to your wallet. and you will see be able to buy $10 $20 $50 cards. The only thing this will effect is buying avatar crap or buying indie games which all float under the 5 buck mark. But I don't see that being to big of a problem given that once in while you may want to buy one little thing and end up with some change left over from the 5 bucks. With the points this happened almost everytime you buy anything you will be short anywhere to 20 to 100 points and have to buy more points.

Not to mention you falling over what you need and buying more points then you wanted. which will not be a problem since as long as it over the 5 bucks i'm guessing this new system will let you pay the amount that you need no more no less.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Karl_Boss

I never had a problem with MS Points.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#69  Edited By Shadow

Thank. Fucking. God. It is the largest pile of steaming bullshit that I have to pay $5 for 400 points when I'm only 30 short.

phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By phish09

I just grabbed 10 1400 points cards from a retailer for 50% off two months ago...this is probably why they were discounted, but hopefully more retailers will start discounting them in the coming months, which means great deals for people like you and me.

Bllasae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Bllasae

@Jay444111 said:

How the fuck is this going to work, I got 760 points... is it going to convert that to some sort of cash or are they going to disapear?

This alone proves this article is incorrect. I doubt Microsoft is going to pay everyone the value for their existing Microsoft Points.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#72  Edited By Vonocourt

@Bllasae said:

@Jay444111 said:

How the fuck is this going to work, I got 760 points... is it going to convert that to some sort of cash or are they going to disapear?

This alone proves this article is incorrect. I doubt Microsoft is going to pay everyone the value for their existing Microsoft Points.

So they simply change the text that says 760 points to $9.50, they wouldn't have to pay you anything.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By BrockNRolla

Oh no... What will happen to all the Microsoft points I amassed through my FIFA scamming?

ChaosDent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By ChaosDent

Cool! It looks like the end of carnival money in games as we know it. Now all we need to do is get rid of Bioware Points... Origin makes it so those aren't a thing either, right?

BlatantNinja23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By BlatantNinja23

@Shadow said:

Thank. Fucking. God. It is the largest pile of steaming bullshit that I have to pay $5 for 400 points when I'm only 30 short.

That's still going to exist... only you'll pay $5 to add $5 to the system because you are currently $0.50 short.

Was the fact that 80 was a $1 really that confusing to people? It's been over 5 years now, I already know what 400, 800, 1200, and all that means so it just never bothered me.

ChaosDent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By ChaosDent
    @BlatantNinja23

@Shadow said:

That's still going to exist... only you'll pay $5 to add $5 to the system because you are currently $0.50 short.

Was the fact that 80 was a $1 really that confusing to people? It's been over 5 years now, I already know what 400, 800, 1200, and all that means so it just never bothered me.

The biggest problem is the fixed payment options. On the PS3 if I buy a $0.99 Rock Band song in one purchase I'll have to add $5 to my wallet. If I later buy a $14.99 game I can make a second $10.98 transaction to zero out my wallet balance. In a points system with fixed $5, $10, $20 purchase options I don't get that option.

The point conversion rate is subliminally deceptive and is at best just something to get used to. The microtransaction vision never really materialized anyway so they are solution without a problem at this point.
    iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By iam3green

well thats good. i didn't like the points at all because a lot of times i would end up having like 80 or something points that i couldn't buy anything with. i just hope that they still make it even like $15 map pack= $15 map pack.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.