Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Reassigning a 360 controller?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By JJWeatherman

Anyone know if there is a way to change a 360 controller to player one instead of player two? It always happens to me when I turn on my controllers with my ION drums plugged in. My controller gets set to player two and therefore is not connected to my Gamertag. It annoys me so much to have to turn off the system in order to get my controller back to player one. That's a Playstation 3 feature that I really like; the ability to manually swap between the player settings.

So does anyone know anything that I don't? Is there a way to switch the player assignment of a controller without turning the system off? 

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By wefwefasdf

I don't believe there is. If anyone knows how I would also find it useful. :/

Joshakazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Joshakazam

I don't believe you can unless you let them both time out and disconnect without turning the Xbox off.

It's really stupid.

ev_rowe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By ev_rowe

The next closest thing you can do without powering the system off is signing out from your live account/xbox profile on the ION kit from the Guide menu and then signing in from the controller. It's arguably not any faster than powering the system off, but it's pretty much about the same speed as accessing a controller re-assignment menu.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @lilman1101 said:
    " I don't believe you can unless you let them both time out and disconnect without turning the Xbox off.  It's really stupid. "
    I've already let my controller sit there for about five minutes now. I shall test this method, for science! Not that this is even a viable method, but... for science anyways!!
    Joshakazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Joshakazam
    @JJWeatherman said:
    " @lilman1101 said:
    " I don't believe you can unless you let them both time out and disconnect without turning the Xbox off.  It's really stupid. "
    I've already let my controller sit there for about five minutes now. I shall test this method, for science! Not that this is even a viable method, but... for science anyways!! "
    Take the battery pack out?
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @lilman1101 said:

" @JJWeatherman said:

" @lilman1101 said:
    I've already let my controller sit there for about five minutes now. I shall test this method, for science! Not that this is even a viable method, but... for science anyways!! "
    Take the battery pack out? "
    Well I already knew taking the battery pack out doesn't work. I've tried it many times. 

My controller finally disconnected though, and it does not reassign to player one after auto shut off. Lame, it seems this minor annoyance will never go away. 

@ev_rowe said:
    " The next closest thing you can do without powering the system off is signing out from your live account/xbox profile on the ION kit from the Guide menu and then signing in from the controller. It's arguably not any faster than powering the system off, but it's pretty much about the same speed as accessing a controller re-assignment menu. "
    That's a good tip. I'm a bit OCD though, so I would feel weird playing by myself while having the light in the upper-right quadrant lit.
    zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#8  Edited By zidd

I don't believe you can do that on a 360. However it is one of my favorite PS3 features.

Joshakazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Joshakazam
    @JJWeatherman said:
    " @lilman1101 said:
    " @JJWeatherman said:
    " @lilman1101 said:
    Well I already knew taking the battery pack out doesn't work. I've tried it many times.  My controller finally disconnected though, and it does not reassign to player one after auto shut off. Lame, it seems this minor annoyance will never go away. "
    Was the other controller disconnected aswell?
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @lilman1101 said:
    " @JJWeatherman said:
    " @lilman1101 said:
    " @JJWeatherman said:
    " @lilman1101 said:
    Well I already knew taking the battery pack out doesn't work. I've tried it many times.  My controller finally disconnected though, and it does not reassign to player one after auto shut off. Lame, it seems this minor annoyance will never go away. "
    Was the other controller disconnected aswell? "
    Oh yeah. I disconnected my ION cord with a passion once I'd realized this annoyance had occurred YET AGAIN!  :P
    Joshakazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Joshakazam
    @JJWeatherman:  Damn Mircrosoft.
    JoeyIA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By JoeyIA

You have to hold down the guide button and tell the xbox to turn off the controller, taking out the batteries or letting it go idle doesn't do anything.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @JoeyIA said:
    " You have to hold down the guide button and tell the xbox to turn off the controller, taking out the batteries or letting it go idle doesn't do anything. "
    Yeah, that still doesn't switch the controller back to player one though. Its stuck on player two until you reset the Xbox.
    immike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By immike

You can sometimes get lucky by turning off the 1st controller, and the turning off and on the 2nd controller to have it read as 1st player. However, half of the time this does not work, and you'll have to restart the console. This is one of my major disappointments with the console, but as there aren't many 2 player games, it does not bother me most of the time.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By toowalrus

I always turn my system on with my controller anyways, crappy wired controller almost constantly plugged into the system doesn't become player 1. I know changing your habits isn't the best solution, but I managed to do it.

NickWalkerSr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By NickWalkerSr

There is not a way. I just tried turning off the controller I didn't want to use, connecting it to my daughter's Xbox in another room, and then turning back on the one I wanted to use. It still defaulted to player 2. Once you have assigned controllers to player numbers, you have made that commitment in blood; which can only be broken by turning the power off and back on. Which is a major pile of horse shit if you're playing GTA and have to wait for it to load for a second time!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.