Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

RRod of Death and sales

zander1123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By zander1123

So..... I dont know if anyone here has heard yet but there is an article over on ars technica about how the PS3 slim is real and there will also be a price drop on the normal models.... I know, I know... who saw that coming.

Anyways also nested in that article was the fact that the Elite bundle from Mircosoft will also be droping price. 
    Ok so now i want to start this next part by saying i REALLY dont want this to turn into flaming. But anyways, when i saw this i asked a friend of mine who is really into NPD numbers and all that fun stuff and said, who is still buying all these 360's. Because i dont know about you but everyone i know who has ever played any kind of video game seems to own at least a 360. 

So somewhere in the conversation he bring up the idea that alot of people might be buying their second xbox because of RRoD's and E74. I really didnt know how to respond to that....

Which brings me to my question, do you think he is right? I would like an honest answer if possible. Because according to him the NPD numbers seem to be really similar month in and month out, and i really dont follow this stuff. 

Anyways thanks for reading this. Zander 
    Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By Bigandtasty

I don't think the number of people who buy new 360s due to RROD are that high. Most people wait for their broken ones to get shipped back; some who have the money to burn will get a new one right away (and try to recoup their losses by selling the old one when it comes back, thereby increasing the number of used 360s that are bought and don't count towards sales figures).

But hey I have never had an RRoD myself or known anyone who had one so who knows.
    c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By c1337us

I have bought 2 360's so far for RRoD. And since the second one died a month or two ago I am looking at getting a third cause somehow I lost the bloody sales receipt for it so I dont know if I'll bother getting it repaired since it will cost me and I wouldnt mind going up to an Elite console anyway.

So yeh some portion of xbox console sales are definately people re-buying. As I am sure I am not alone in having to do this.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Wolverine

No, your friend is wrong. Microsoft offers a free three year warranty to anyone who buys a Xbox 360 so why would anyone buy a second one when they could get there console fixed for free? Also there are still plenty of people that do not have an Xbox 360. The console launched in 2005 and I would say it appeals to people that are in high school and older. Kids are getting older and as they get older their parents might be buying them an Xbox 360 or maybe people that don't have them yet decide to buy them.

Themanohall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Themanohall

Nah, the RRoD isn't as common as everyone makes it out to be. Most of my friends have 360s, and only two have gotten the RRoD, and both were on xboxes over 2 years old.

EDIT: And Microsoft is pretty good with getting them back to you quickly. It only took about 3 weeks for both of them.

bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By bubahula

@Wolverine said:

"No, your friend is wrong. Microsoft offers a free three year warranty to anyone who buys a Xbox 360 so why would anyone buy a second one when they could get there console fixed for free? Also there are still plenty of people that do not have an Xbox 360. The console launched in 2005 and I would say it appeals to people that are in high school and older. Kids are getting older and as they get older their parents might be buying them an Xbox 360 or maybe people that don't have them yet decide to buy them. "

agreed,  i dont know anyone how has bought 2. they always get fixed or get new free ones in 2 weeks
    iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By iam3green

i kind of think of that also. people buy another 360 because of their broken 360. i think it is something like 3rd of people buy another 360. i would think that it is something small.  i think it is also going up because of people saying that rrod is going down because of jasper chip set.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By CL60

My warranty was expired and they sent me a free new one in 10 days. So if you are buying a new one instead of sending it in, you are a moron.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jimbo
    @Wolverine said:
    " No, your friend is wrong. Microsoft offers a free three year warranty to anyone who buys a Xbox 360 so why would anyone buy a second one when they could get there console fixed for free? Also there are still plenty of people that do not have an Xbox 360. The console launched in 2005 and I would say it appeals to people that are in high school and older. Kids are getting older and as they get older their parents might be buying them an Xbox 360 or maybe people that don't have them yet decide to buy them. "
    You answered your own question.  I have had to replace an out-of-warranty 360 and I'm sure plenty of others have too.

The sales figures will be skewed to some extent by dead 360s (leading to the 360 install base being less than overall 360 sales).  It's impossible to say what percentage of new 360 sales are accounted for by replacements, but I would guess less than 10%.
    Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Wolverine
    @Jimbo said:
    " @Wolverine said:
    " No, your friend is wrong. Microsoft offers a free three year warranty to anyone who buys a Xbox 360 so why would anyone buy a second one when they could get there console fixed for free? Also there are still plenty of people that do not have an Xbox 360. The console launched in 2005 and I would say it appeals to people that are in high school and older. Kids are getting older and as they get older their parents might be buying them an Xbox 360 or maybe people that don't have them yet decide to buy them. "
    You answered your own question.  I have had to replace an out-of-warranty 360 and I'm sure plenty of others have too.The sales figures will be skewed to some extent by dead 360s (leading to the 360 install base being less than overall 360 sales).  It's impossible to say what percentage of new 360 sales are accounted for by replacements, but I would guess less than 10%. "
    Why would you replace an out of warranty 360 when you can pay $140 to get it fixed?
    Radar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By Radar
    @Wolverine said:
    " @Jimbo said:
    " @Wolverine said:
    You answered your own question.  I have had to replace an out-of-warranty 360 and I'm sure plenty of others have too.The sales figures will be skewed to some extent by dead 360s (leading to the 360 install base being less than overall 360 sales).  It's impossible to say what percentage of new 360 sales are accounted for by replacements, but I would guess less than 10%. "
    Why would you replace an out of warranty 360 when you can pay $140 to get it fixed?
    "
    Probably to get a different model with a lower failure rate.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#12  Edited By natetodamax

I'm not sure why you would buy an entire new system if you got the Red Ring Of Death. You could just ship it in and get it back in two weeks without paying a dime.

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13  Edited By jonnyboy

I've always said since the arcade pack came out that I'd probably buy one of those while my 360 is in the post to Microsoft. For a start, don't fancy the wait. Secondly my experience with refurb hardware has been many, and wholly negative too. Of all my consoles that have gone off for repair, all have come back with a new set of problems. Mostly because the new insides once belonged to another poor sods "repaired" machine. More complicated hardware just means there's more to go wrong.

FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By FCKSNAP
    @Wolverine said:
    " Why would you replace an out of warranty 360 when you can pay $140 to get it fixed? "
    Maybe $60 extra for a new console entirely doesn't seem like a bad idea.

Question: Would an arcade bundle with Sega Superstars Tennis have the same chipset as the newer arcade unit with 512MB built-in?
    Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Wolverine
    @Snapstacle said:
    " @Wolverine said:
    " Why would you replace an out of warranty 360 when you can pay $140 to get it fixed? "
    Maybe $60 extra for a new console entirely doesn't seem like a bad idea.Question: Would an arcade bundle with Sega Superstars Tennis have the same chipset as the newer arcade unit with 512MB built-in? "
    That is a good point. I forgot the Arcade is that cheap now.
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mordukai
    @Themanohall said:
    " Nah, the RRoD isn't as common as everyone makes it out to be. Most of my friends have 360s, and only two have gotten the RRoD, and both were on xboxes over 2 years old.EDIT: And Microsoft is pretty good with getting them back to you quickly. It only took about 3 weeks for both of them. "
    they don't actually fix you xbox 360, what they do is that you just get sent a refurbished one that sort of matches the same model as the one you sent in. So it takes MS 3-4 weeks to basically send you a used xbox. I personally know people that are on their third and one of them is on his forth 360 so far. I myself have had the RROD happen to just once (knock on wood) and A friend of mine bought two ones when his failed. the second one fail after about a month. imo with the 360 its not a question of if but of when. Its design is flawed and before you fanboys start bashing me then read this
    article.

Sorry for being incoherent the insomnia is getting to me. 
    Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By Systech

Games... That's why.

Babble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Babble

RRoD is fixed by Microsoft for free for three years from purchase. The majority of purchases for the Xbox 360 are not because their last one broke. It might be the case for some but I think it wouldn't be much.

@Mordukai said:
    " @Themanohall said:
    " Nah, the RRoD isn't as common as everyone makes it out to be. Most of my friends have 360s, and only two have gotten the RRoD, and both were on xboxes over 2 years old.EDIT: And Microsoft is pretty good with getting them back to you quickly. It only took about 3 weeks for both of them. "
    they don't actually fix you xbox 360, what they do is that you just get sent a refurbished one that sort of matches the same model as the one you sent in. So it takes MS 3-4 weeks to basically send you a used xbox. I personally know people that are on their third and one of them is on his forth 360 so far. I myself have had the RROD happen to just once (knock on wood) and A friend of mine bought two ones when his failed. the second one fail after about a month. imo with the 360 its not a question of if but of when. Its design is flawed and before you fanboys start bashing me then read this
    article.

Sorry for being incoherent the insomnia is getting to me. 
    "
    That's not always the case. They sent me the same console back. (same serial number and everything)
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

140 dollars? the most i was quoted to get a 360 fixed was 100 dollars...I complained about having to pay for a problem that was not  my fault and he offered 50% off....and then e74 got covered under 3 year and i got that refunded.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CL60
    @WilliamRLBaker said:
    " 140 dollars? the most i was quoted to get a 360 fixed was 100 dollars...I complained about having to pay for a problem that was not  my fault and he offered 50% off....and then e74 got covered under 3 year and i got that refunded. "
    Mine was free no questions asked. It was out of warranty too.
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TwoOneFive

The only reason 360's failure rate stays around the 30-40% is because they sell hundreds of thousands every month. Its not like 33% of them all will fail, just 33% percent that exist right now this very moment. Eventually every single person who plays their 360 more than the casual gamer will experience some kind of RROD situation. 

Babble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Babble
    @CL60 said:
    " @WilliamRLBaker said:
    " 140 dollars? the most i was quoted to get a 360 fixed was 100 dollars...I complained about having to pay for a problem that was not  my fault and he offered 50% off....and then e74 got covered under 3 year and i got that refunded. "
    Mine was free no questions asked. It was out of warranty too. "
    Was the warranty for RRoD over as well? They extended coverage for three years for anyone who got RRoD even if the old  warranty ended.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By CL60
    @Babble said:
    " @CL60 said:
    " @WilliamRLBaker said:
    Mine was free no questions asked. It was out of warranty too. "
    Was the warranty for RRoD over as well? They extended coverage for three years for anyone who got RRoD even if the old  warranty ended.
    "
    Yeah, I bought the 360 at launch, it RRODed like 2 weeks ago or 3 weeks I dunno. I sent it in they sent me a new one in around 10 days free of charge.
    Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By Red12b

Well i own a PS3 My flatmate Owns the 360, on my ps3 i got the 3 beeps yellow light of death where the damn thing would not even turn on.
    I took it to the sony Fixeruppers (Fixtronics here in aucks New Zealand) and withen a week they had it delivered tomy door with my old HDD to, to bad i did not do that data transfer as I lost a fuckload of trophy's.

EDIT: forgot to say that it was around 4-5 months out of warrenty and I had to dig up the recipt from Harvey Norman
    Cheers sony.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    @TwoOneFive said:
    " The only reason 360's failure rate stays around the 30-40% is because they sell hundreds of thousands every month. Its not like 33% of them all will fail, just 33% percent that exist right now this very moment. Eventually every single person who plays their 360 more than the casual gamer will experience some kind of RROD situation.  "
    um no...no...and no. Let alone that i don't believe the failure rate of the 360 was ever above 33% let alone being 33% *it was just internet FUD* saying that all of them will eventually get RROD is pretty much in line with every electronic device will eventually fail cause that's just a fact if the 360 truly had such a massive design flaw or design flaws *because many sites claim there are multiple reasons for RROD* then the failure rate of 360's would be undeninably large yet we have so many different sources claiming numbers from 16%-66% hell we even have people over at systemwars right now that claim all 360s pre 2007 have a 98.9% failure rate which means my pro launch is in the 2% cause its yet to fail.

Let alone if the accepted % is 33 we have last year % of 16 as accepted which means its getting smaller and since then? who knows what its been lowered too, I just highly doubt in any capacity the failure rate was above 10%. As for that certain laws exist in america when it comes to failure rates where forced Recalls by the government are inacted with a certain failure rate %.
     Was there a high failure rate? yes was it unacceptable? yes but i dont believe for one instant that it was ever any larger then 10% and microsoft has short of sending women to service us while they fix our 360s to rectify the situation.

smokeH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By smokeH

umm I got mine repaired but I also bought an elite after the second time it died.. Thats what i did, but then I know a lot of guys who just buy new 360 when the get red ringed

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Jimbo

It's pretty irrelevent why somebody would buy a replacement;  they are doing it and therefore the numbers are skewed to some extent.  Like I said, I still don't think it accounts for a huge % of new 360 sales.

I had 3 years solid service out my 360 before it died and then replaced it with an Arcade - which are around one third the price of a PS3 here - so I didn't feel ripped off by Microsoft or anything. 

The point is that I (and others) now count for 2 of the the 360's overall sales, but I'm still only ever going to buy 1 copy of a game.  Likewise for anybody else that owns multiple 360s (a lot of the people that bought Elites for example).  The result is that the true 'install base' of the 360 is a lot closer to the PS3 than the sales figures alone would indicate.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.