Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Xbox Live $50 price will it ever go away

• 88 results
    BigDaddyJack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BigDaddyJack

Microsoft is no longer charging for Gold membership on the PC and with the PS3 adding trophies and a whole bunch of other features that are included in Live for free, is it just a matter of time until they stop charging for it on the 360 and if so when?

Soulless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Soulless

Only if their competition's online service gets as good as theirs or better.
    Otherwise I don't see it happening.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#3  Edited By Vinchenzo

It's only $50, I am really tired of people thinking that PSN is better just because of it (not saying you think that). What Soulless said though, if someone even comes close to the greatness that is Xbox Live, they'll probably rethink the price.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By breadfan

Right now the $50 a year is not a bad deal at all.  You are paying for a working online service that makes playing games with your friends pretty simple.  Sony's Playstation Network could possibly compete with Xbox Live in the future, but there is a lot of work ahead of them if they wanna do that.

JibaaJabba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By JibaaJabba

When and if the PSN gains more ground 1 or 2 things will happen

1. Micro$oft will drop there 50$ price point
    2. Sony will start charging 50$
    Lombax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Lombax

just look for deals on the live gold cards. I picked up two a few months back during a target sale / coupon abuse. 

cheapassgamer is your friend. 
    tec3297

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7  Edited By tec3297

Of course it will never go away, they are making wayyy to much money charging for Xbox Live Gold memberships.

OblivionGuy07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8  Edited By OblivionGuy07

I don't think it will, but I don't think it's that big of a deal, either. All of those online games on the PC are way more expensive. Hell, if your a member at Runescape it costs more than Xbox Live, so yeah.

Txheat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By Txheat

it should since they never put up dedi servers for games to make the lag a little less! while PSN does have Dedi servers.

DARKIDO07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By DARKIDO07

13 Million X $50 = $650,000,000 a year, so multiply that by 5 years, and you get 3,250,000,000 so far from Xbox Live fees, not including all the crap people by off of the Marketplace.

MsCortana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By MsCortana
    JibaaJabba said:
    "When and if the PSN gains more ground 1 or 2 things will happen

1. Micro$oft will drop there 50$ price point
    2. Sony will start charging 50$
    "
    I agree...it will be one or the other.  However, I would assume that Microsoft would not just forfeit their sales so the logical answer would be that Sony will eventually start charging for theirs. :D
    Avatar image for deactivated-5b3f096aee80a
    deactivated-5b3f096aee80a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, sucks... MS will never drop it though, and Sony will never charge 50 bucks for PSN... well not in the foreseeable future anyways, and not anytime soon.

For XBL your basically paying for the servers, amongst other things. I think its stupid as hell that you pay 50 bucks, and you still have to see ads in your face...

De5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By De5

There's a chance, since Games for Windows Live just became free...

MsCortana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MsCortana
    Sentry said:

For XBL your basically paying for the servers, amongst other things. I think its stupid as hell that you pay 50 bucks, and you still have to see ads in your face...
    "
    We are paying for a much superior service and those ads are not that intrusive.  :P
    Dairyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Dairyman

If they start losing lots of customers because of the price, they'll at least lower it.  Microsoft won't get rid of it unless it's a serious issue.

Avatar image for deactivated-590b56fc03f47
    deactivated-590b56fc03f47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

no, its worth and people are use to it now

Avatar image for deactivated-5b3f096aee80a
    deactivated-5b3f096aee80a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MsCortana said:
    "Sentry said:

"
    We are paying for a much superior service and those ads are not that intrusive.  :P
    "

I know its worth the price, but its starting to not be honestly. And I think its stupid that you are paying 50 bucks, and then MS wants to make even more money off of ads, it just makes me look at them in a way that they don't care, and its about money.

And when you look at a free service like PSN, it has a lot of great stuff you can do, its definitely not lacking the main stuff, and is only going to get better and better as you have seen. Addition of in-game friends list, trophies, Video Store & PS Store revision are just a few enhancements that are making XBL not worth the price as much.

I just feel after 5 years they could at least innovate more over time, rather then play it safe, you know? If you are so good at something, improve upon it, don't play the hare in the race.
    MsCortana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MsCortana
    Sentry said:
    "

I just feel after 5 years they could at least innovate more over time, rather then play it safe, you know? If you are so good at something, improve upon it, don't play the hare in the race.
    "
    I understand completely and to a certain extent you're right.  Microsoft will have to raise the bar in order to compete.  Although, with the new update, and for me, the eight way private chat, I'm quite pleased for now.  I would imagine Microsoft has innovation around the corner...I hope. :D
    Guiltyspark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By Guiltyspark
    Sentry said:
    "MsCortana said:
    "Sentry said:

"
    "

I know its worth the price, but its starting to not be honestly. And I think its stupid that you are paying 50 bucks, and then MS wants to make even more money off of ads, it just makes me look at them in a way that they don't care, and its about money.

And when you look at a free service like PSN, it has a lot of great stuff you can do, its definitely not lacking the main stuff, and is only going to get better and better as you have seen. Addition of in-game friends list, trophies, Video Store & PS Store revision are just a few enhancements that are making XBL not worth the price as much.

"

the free service you are talking about does not "have alot of great stuff to do" 
    Its marketplace is completely lacking content , its trophy system is a clusterfuck and no games to support it , the ingame freinds list doesnt let you join games on the fly.

Home is missing completely with no public beta in sight ( even with home , sony cannot compete with XBL and they will keep loosing money  running the servers if they keep it free)

meanwhile MS just announced that they are adding a party system that works across ALL games that will let you chat with your freinds even if all of you are each playing a different game at the time. The party system will also allow the leader of the party rent a netflix title and watch it with your freinds. The party leader can also launch ANY game with his freinds and they will all join the same room.

Sony still hasnt introduced cross game chat for fucks sake , they are so far behind its MINDBLOWING  lol .

I could go on all day of why the PS3 is the biggest failure of a game console in recent memory  , but i wont because i hate destroying fankids dreams
    Blazer74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Blazer74

Unfortunately, no it probably won't go away.

MOLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MOLE

MS have billion apon BILLIONS APON BILLIONS OF DALLORS

They can afford to make XBL free.  Its Bullshit that we have to pay, and don't make it sound like your getting a great deal becuase your not, becuase MS can easily make it free.

quiquexbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By quiquexbs

Probably not. They make WAY to much money from it.

LightYagami245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#23  Edited By LightYagami245
    Soulless said:
    "Only if their competition's online service gets as good as theirs or better.
    Otherwise I don't see it happening.
    "
    Agreed. PSN isn't as good as Live. They don't get as much things as Live members get.
    PaperPlain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By PaperPlain

I wish. Maybe in a year or so. It is not too inconvenient. You definitely get your money's worth. Or at least I do.

Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By Jensonb

It might, depends how good PSN becomes and how successful DLC is.

davehx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By davehx

I wish we got it for that price..Over here in the UK it is about £40...$80.....

Guiltyspark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Guiltyspark
    MOLE said:
    "MS have billion apon BILLIONS APON BILLIONS OF DALLORS

They can afford to make XBL free.  Its Bullshit that we have to pay, and don't make it sound like your getting a great deal becuase your not, becuase MS can easily make it free."
    Actually they cant afford it.
    Try putting yourself in the shoes of the head of xbox walking into the board room with the other MS executives and sitting down and saying
    "ya , we just made XBL free , those tens of thousands of movies , and all that marketplace content that is available to multiple countries is now being hosted completely by our wallet , we are expected to take losses of hundreds of millions of dollars a year  just so retards on the internet can feel like they are getting fair treatment." 
    RebelLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By RebelLoyalist

I never see this happening since MS is making a lot of money off of it.

AaronBelfast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By AaronBelfast

The question is will Microsoft ever stop wanting money and the answer is no because they need to recoup the wasted cash they blew

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By JoelTGM

It's been working for years, ever since xbox live first came about on the original xbox, people have been paying the fee.  Why would they suddenly decide to drop it?  $50 in an entire year, that's like 4 bucks a month, for a fantastic service.

veiledmuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 18

#31  Edited By veiledmuffin

I'd gladly pay $50 for an online service as good as Xbox Live, getting into a game with friends is easy as hell.

TheLimper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TheLimper

Like others have said, the only way it will be free is if the competitors can offer an equal service for free. We know Nintendo doesn't even have a shot, and PSN while nice is still a long ways off.

Buddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Buddy

As long as there's a good amount of people paying for it and their not loosing too much money, Microsoft will keep charging.  Still...I would love to see Xbox Live Free :)

PinkElephant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#34  Edited By PinkElephant

They'd be foolish to stop charging. They've got, what, 8 million subscribers? That's like $400 million a year. 

Will1Lucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Will1Lucky
    MOLE said:

They can afford to make XBL free.  Its Bullshit that we have to pay, and don't make it sound like your getting a great deal becuase your not, becuase MS can easily make it free."

Seeing how the Xbox division itself only just got profits I dont think there about to get rid of the one income in the division that really brings in the money.
    MOLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MOLE
    Guiltyspark said:
    "MOLE said:

Actually they cant afford it.
    Try putting yourself in the shoes of the head of xbox walking into the board room with the other MS executives and sitting down and saying
    "ya , we just made XBL free , those tens of thousands of movies , and all that marketplace content that is available to multiple countries is now being hosted completely by our wallet , we are expected to take losses of hundreds of millions of dollars a year  just so retards on the internet can feel like they are getting fair treatment." 
    "

You know, if XBL was free, it would attract alot of people to the Xbox 360.  They win no matter what, they either get money from XBL or they get money for more Xbox 360's sold
    Nobility

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Nobility

You don't turn a multimillion dollar product free, that's just bad business but I would expect that since its a paid service Microsoft would do everything in their power to innovate.  Xbox Live seemed 5 years ahead of its time, look at it now.

MOLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By MOLE

I wouldn't mind the $50 if only my 360 didn't break down 3 times, and another just about read to RROD on me. 

But hey, its only $100 for repair (sarcasm)

Oh I almost forgot to mention that the Wireless Adapter cost $100, thats alot of freakin money. 

Look folks, I own a Xbox 360, and not a PS3, but MS really fucked up on this one.  They need to start over and get it right, and make sure its right.

Carlos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#41  Edited By Carlos

I hope they drop a little, althought i dont really care since its really good

Vlademir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Vlademir

I don't think $0.14 per day is much to ask for the great service they give us.

epic_pets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By epic_pets

not soon

Squareslug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#44  Edited By Squareslug

I doubt they will ever drop it. 

tancred8120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#45  Edited By tancred8120

I'm not seeing this happening because look how much people are on XBL and then realize they all had to pay $50. Yeah, that's a lot of money and Microsoft has no reason to lower it

GiantBomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By GiantBomber

I don't mind paying for a service that really kicks ass

Dark_Era

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Dark_Era

Well my problem with that is with psn cranking up all the time , very soon or later psn might just  be a bit under par and for the fact that its free, be considered slightly better (hold ur horses, it ain't at the mo, before i get slaughtered here, lol). And when this happens will the £40 tag still go on and be favoured by the mass?

shadowjak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By shadowjak

No, they have no need to. They doubled their numbers and live meberships are selling liek crazy. At the gamestop in my city they ran out of the membership card things.

AtomicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#49  Edited By AtomicEdge

I think the answer is no. There is no reason for them to make XBL free. They have silver memberships for people who don't want the high end features, and gold for people who do. Also, it's not like live will stay still and not change at all. It will develop and move on as the xbox evolves.

mistical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By mistical
    MsCortana said:
    "Sentry said:
    "For XBL your basically paying for the servers, amongst other things. I think its stupid as hell that you pay 50 bucks, and you still have to see ads in your face..."
    We are paying for a much superior service and those ads are not that intrusive.  :P"
    Totally agree here. The ads are not in my face nor are they anywhere close to being annoying or whatever else you may think. Plus, are you really on the dashboard that much? I know I am not as I am actually playing games majority of the time.

Microsoft is most likely not ever going to make Xbox Live free for you. If you thought about what they actually do for you and behind the scenes OR you actually had a chance to work for Microsoft or any company similar or not. You would then probably do the same as them. So stop with all these motto's for "xbox live should be free" stuff. Microsoft is not going to do that because thousands of you have done that. It reminds me of petitions because they just don't work 99.9% of the time.

Not all the time but most of the time, those who are complaining about the $50 price tag I find to be kids. Like I said, most the time, not all the time. So if you are one and don't, this is not directed towards you. Which since they are then they are most likely not to have a job either and have to ask their parents or whatever other means. $50 either way, I cannot say it's expensive at all, even if I didn't have a job and acquired it by other means.

Now I own a PS3, their online network is fine. There is no need for me to talk bad about it because it is a great service for what they offer. I have played online only a few times in MGS4 and Resistance. I just don't find the service better for what XBL offers. Though they are trying do better in their latest firmware updates and what not, I just don't see myself ever switching. Why? Majority of my friends are on XBL. I'm going to play where my friends are at. I doubt many of those that say XBL should be free because the PSN is free even own a PS3. I'm sure if they did or do, do you friends have one? Do you play with your friends at all on it? I don't want to start anything by saying this but just ask yourself. I don't dislike or hate Sony either.

MOLE
    said:
    "You know, if XBL was free, it would attract alot of people to the Xbox 360.  They win no matter what, they either get money from XBL or they get money for more Xbox 360's sold"
    I don't think there would be much of a gain to where Microsoft advantages out of doing this. Especially since they will then have to cover the costs themselves for the XBL service. Most likely lose money to keep the service as great as it is and realiable. It is pretty safe to say they will pretty much never do this.

Dark_Era said:
    "Well my problem with that is with psn cranking up all the time , very soon or later psn might just  be a bit under par and for the fact that its free, be considered slightly better (hold ur horses, it ain't at the mo, before i get slaughtered here, lol). And when this happens will the £40 tag still go on and be favoured by the mass?"
    But if this were to happen, to all your friends with an Xbox 360, do they own a PS3? If not, are they all just going to go out now because the PSN is "better" than the XBL network and fork up all that money on a PS3 then possibly the same titles again for it or other titles?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.