Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

Chances of a new Xbox One at E3 2016.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By MachoFantastico

Hi folks,

So with E3 coming in a matter of days I've been following a lot of the rumors and speculation regarding all sorts and only recently discovered rumors regarding a new version of the Xbox One hardware being announced at E3 2016. So I've been thinking about picking up an Xbox One because I miss playing Forza 6 and Halo but have decided to wait and see what E3 brings around. The rumors are that Microsoft will potentially announce a reworked/redesigned Xbox One mini with 2TB drive and some suggest it might even be digital only and feature no disc drive, something I highly doubt will be the case as that seems a tad to risky right now. Still, it is just rumor and speculation and I'm curious to know what you folks think of this actually happening. Plus we've heard that they might announce an Xbox 1.5 to hit in 2017 so there's that to keep in mind.

I'm intrigued to see what Microsoft will do at E3 this year, I feel like I know a lot of what Sony will be showing off in the form of the Neo and VR but I want to see what Microsoft have to offer given how dominate Sony are right now. Given that I'm a happy PS4 owner who very likely would pick up a Neo if it's priced right I feel like Microsoft's presentation will be the most interesting for me this year. A redesign would be great, though I'm less won over by the digital only speculation although given the rumored 2TB drive that sort of would make sense.

What do you lot think? Are you interested in a redesign/upgraded Xbox One?

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

An Xbox Slim? Totally.

The Xbox Scropio/Xbox One Elite/Something completely different. 25%

Seems silly to market an Xbox that won't come out until 2017 (if rumors are true) because that would hurt sales today. Best to pretend none of that is true and sell the games and new hardware.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

No Caption Provided

It's taking the NeoGaf approach, so it's got to be correct.

Edit: There are some rumours floating around that Microsoft may form a partnership with Oculus to get VR onto its system as well. Outside of that, I got nothing.

kedi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think an announcement of an Xbox One Slim is very likely. An announcement of the more powerful Xbox that is supposedly coming out next year seems less likely, but I hope that they do finally say something about it to put all the speculation and uncertainty to rest.

flippyandnod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No way an upgraded model is announced. Slim for sure, and maybe that streamer thing if it is real.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

I'm sure both will get mentioend with fleshed out specs and specifics coming at a later time. It's too big of a potential thing not to mention.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The chance of there being a new, slim model at a reduced price is basically 100% at this point. Announcing a new, more powerful Xbox One at the same time though would probably kill all the momentum a new Slim model would create.

CcFfBb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Since the price point dropped to $299 recently, it seems to me that inventory needs to be sold to make room for something else that will be coming by the Holiday Season. Gears of War 4 is on schedule to release in October, so a 'Gears Package' with the game might work? Who knows what the bundles will look like, but personally, I'm waiting to hear what happens because I'd like to play Forza 6 and Halo 5 before the Holiday Season. The all-digital option is not for me, but I do know that something like that has its supporters, and the current demand for hard drive space makes a 2 TB model very appealing. It's an exciting time to be a gamer.

falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Slim? 100%

Scorpio? 0% Announcing a console that won't come out until 2017 completely tanks your sales until then, including through the crucial holiday season. That's the last thing Microsoft needs right now considering how far behind they are from Sony in sales.

Sony won't announce the Neo for the same reason, in addition to the fact that they're launching the PS VR this year. Announcing a new console alongside it will confuse consumers.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Franstone

The slim? If it really exists than yeah, I'm sure they'll show it off.
    I'm 50/50 on the more powerful Xbox One.2 announcement. If they don't announce at this year's E3 than when would they for a 2017 launch? I could be totally wrong but I don't think a console has been revealed and released in the same calendar year. I also can't remember if a new console has ever been revealed during something other than E3. Seeing how both rumors about MS and Sony's new consoles will supposedly play all the games from the previous generation than why would they be worried about clearing out current stock. We have two models, a cheaper one, and a premium more expensive one that plays all the same games. I dunno, guess we'll have to just wait and see.

falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

@franstone: Both the PS4 and Xbox One were announced at separate events in 2013. They came out in 2013.

mjhwwbg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think price drop on current Xbox One and a new slim announcement are very likely. I'm also hoping that they at least mention the plan for the future as I'd like to hear their version of the messaging.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Franstone

@falconer: I have a horrible memory, hahah. Even after you saying that it's still a foggy blur. Can't for the life of me remember how that went down. Sorta meant an E3 June announcement and release by November kinda deal though.

rkofan87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sure both will get mentioend with fleshed out specs and specifics coming at a later time. It's too big of a potential thing not to mention.

this.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@finaldasa said:

An Xbox Slim? Totally.

The Xbox Scropio/Xbox One Elite/Something completely different. 25%

Seems silly to market an Xbox that won't come out until 2017 (if rumors are true) because that would hurt sales today. Best to pretend none of that is true and sell the games and new hardware.

What's worse though, hurting your console sales until 2017, or having people purchase a more powerful version of your competitor's console, because you haven't talked publicly about your plans?

Assuming the Neo really is going to release in September, they have to talk about their plans before that, and E3 is only a few months away from then. If the Scropio is really more powerful than the Neo--gosh, the code names all sound stupid--then it's going to be very interesting to watch this second wave of the current console war.

Which will be more important in terms of sales, being first to the market, or being more powerful?

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

My X1 is almost as unused as my Wii U. I have two games for it and one of those is a game I'm going to rebuy on PS4 when it comes out later this year... So one game I guess? So I have zero interest in another X1.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
    hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't see how you can announce both the slim and scorpio xboxes at the same time unless there's some kind of trade up program. Otherwise, why would I buy a slim in 2016 when there's, reportedly, a much better system right around the corner?

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

@spaceinsomniac: It's a gambit and one Sony can take advantage of going 2nd on press conference day.

But Sony also is taking a risk announcing newer, better, hardware while also trying to sell VR. Can they convince their large install base to drop hundreds of dollars on a new console and an add on?

Both companies are in strange spots this E3.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spaceinsomniac: It's a gambit and one Sony can take advantage of going 2nd on press conference day.

But Sony also is taking a risk announcing newer, better, hardware while also trying to sell VR. Can they convince their large install base to drop hundreds of dollars on a new console and an add on?

Both companies are in strange spots this E3.

Aren't they though? It's going to be interesting.

I don't see how you can announce both the slim and scorpio xboxes at the same time unless there's some kind of trade up program. Otherwise, why would I buy a slim in 2016 when there's, reportedly, a much better system right around the corner?

Price differences. The slim could be designed to cut manufacturing costs, while the Scorpio--if it does end up a fair bit more powerful than the Neo--could also end up costing considerably more.

I'm expecting both companies to say "Save money with our entry model, or go big with the new version. Either way, we've got a console for you."

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

My gueses for the chance of new hardware from Microsoft:

• 50% No New Hardware
    • 35% Xbox One Slim / New Skew/model (ultimately just a price/hard drive difference)
    • 10% Mention of a higher-powered Xbox One
    • 4% Higher-powered Xbox One shown
    • 1% Completely new Xbox One Two
    Avatar image for hippie_genocide
    hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spaceinsomniac: How different can they be though? I can't see the slim being any less than $199 and I can't see the scorpio being any more than $499. Ok, that's $300, not an insignificant amount of money, but I would rather spend it that knowing I had a system capable of actually playing games at a good resolution and frame rate, something the Xbox One can't boast. Buying the slim would be penny wise, pound foolish. I think MS will keep scorpio under wraps for now and focus just on the Xbox One, a slim revision, and whatever games they're going to have in the next 6 months. Scorpio should come out in holiday 2017 with a spring 2017 reveal all to themselves.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@hippie_genocide said:

@spaceinsomniac: How different can they be though? I can't see the slim being any less than $199 and I can't see the scorpio being any more than $499. Ok, that's $300, not an insignificant amount of money, but I would rather spend it that knowing I had a system capable of actually playing games at a good resolution and frame rate, something the Xbox One can't boast. Buying the slim would be penny wise, pound foolish. I think MS will keep scorpio under wraps for now and focus just on the Xbox One, a slim revision, and whatever games they're going to have in the next 6 months. Scorpio should come out in holiday 2017 with a spring 2017 reveal all to themselves.

I think even 100 dollars will be plenty of difference to make some people go for the cheaper version of each console. If they were serious about gaming, chances are they'd either have a modern console already, they'd be in a financial position where playing a bit less would be a good idea, or they'd be a PC gamer and none of that would matter.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
    deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

If the leak was in fact accurate and given it leaked so far in advance I expect to see something.

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

Not sure if anyone else has said this but the only way they are announcing any new technology is if they can have it in stores before the holidays. If they can't get it in stores before the holidays then all they are going to is hurt sales of existing hardware as people will get to Christmas and say "Oh well I was going to buy an Xbox One but now that the new one is coming out soon, I'll just hold off for that". Then again this is me assuming that anything new they bring out is going to have been designed to replace the existing hardware and maybe that is presumptive of me.

BRich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Since images of the new slim leaked today, I'm gonna go with 100%. It supports 4k and HDR, so if it has UHD blu ray player than it will be a steal (the only one on the market so far is a Samsung for $400).

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

@brich: Yep, here it is. It'll be interesting to see how they handle the whole HDR lighting thing, and if the added horsepower will smooth out some frame rates and stuff as well.

No Caption Provided

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

@isomeri said:

@brich: Yep, here it is. It'll be interesting to see how they handle the whole HDR lighting thing, and if the added horsepower will smooth out some frame rates and stuff as well.

No Caption Provided

It looks REALLY nice, but with those much better revisions apparently on the horizon who the hell is going to buy an XB1 now?

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

@humanity: There are going to be enough crazies who are willing to buy one annually, and people who just aren't in the know. And if Sony won't be talking about the Neo for a few months, Xbox might steal some of the 4K early adopter crowd like @brich alluded to.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

@isomeri: Yah you're right. I guess people "in the know" will probably hold off for the most part, while the general public that has no idea about this shifting new market will just get their kid "the XBOX" he wanted for his birthday.

BRich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: I was going to get that dumb $400 UHD blu Ray player for my new tv, so this will save me money in the interim if I do get it. Hopefully the PS4 Neo is priced competitively.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.