Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

Microsoft commited to Japan with Xbox One

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

Malright. Microsoft is commited to releasing Xbox in Japan.

The Xbox 360 has not been a runaway success in Japan, but that doesn't mean Microsoft is shying away from the region with its all-new Xbox One next-generation platform.

"We're committed to Japan," Microsoft president of Interactive Entertainment Business Don Mattrick told OXM during a roundtable discussion recently. ..

"We think it's an important market. And we'll continue building on the working investment that we've done over all these years," Mattrick said. "There'll be more news in appropriate ways [for each geographical region], including the content partners, all classes of content, what's been tweaked and what's the same as what we're rolling out in the US."

GameSpot: Microsoft 'committed' to Japan for Xbox One

Now: Kinect, XBLA, regular games: What Japanese games would you like to see come out from Japan? XSEED, Square, Mistwalker..

Persona Kinect. Think about it. Dating Sim, the characters react to your face. This shit writes itself!

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Woohoo sunk costs. I guess Cave fans will continue getting their games, and that about accounts for the entirety of Xbox owners in Japan.

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Why bother? They tried last time and failed horribly. I'd rather they focused their resources on North America and Europe, which are much larger markets anyway. They should make sure they still get the next Final Fantasy and whatever Japanese games still sell outside of Japan, but making original games to court the Japanese market sounds like a bad idea.

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

lol.

Avatar image for white_silhouette
    White_Silhouette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Didn't MS say they were committed to Japan with the 360? Around the time of Blue Dragon came out?

McTangle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By McTangle

@rebgav said:

lol.

I reiterate this opinion, with significant amplification.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Good luck with that.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ha ha ha. This made me laugh

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

They totally said this last time too. Yeah good luck with that.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Sooty

Of course it's an important market, but you won't get close to Sony's success.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SomeJerk

If you thought the facepalm reaction NA/EU gave the XBone was bad, Asia in general you wouldn't believe..

Respectful to not entirely dismiss it of course.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

YAY just buy more JPRGs exclusively so less players can again play it. And in the end no one else will care. Hopefully Namco now knows that Tales of should be a Playstation title because that is the console it sells on.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#13  Edited By Vinny_Says

N.U.D.E is ripe for a sequel with kinect

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@rebgav said:

lol.

Yah lol, why should people in Japan that are interested in XBOX games be catered to. All big corporations will tell you the secret to success is "if you don't succeed once, give up and never try again" thats how the biggest companies in the world made it.

Jerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Of course Mattrick is going to say that at this stage when asked about Japan. What else is he going to say, "We're not committed to Japan at all, fuck 'em"?

neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@rebgav said:

lol.

Yah lol, why should people in Japan that are interested in XBOX games be catered to. All big corporations will tell you the secret to success is "if you don't succeed once, give up and never try again" thats how the biggest companies in the world made it.

All four of them? I mean let's be real, if the reaction in the west was met with tepid response, what do you think the reaction in Japan would be? Non-existent. No one in Japan wants the damn thing, and they especially don't want any of the integrated TV bullshit that is coming with it.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Darji

The Region Microsoft should put up a fight against should be Europe. Because they still have a very though stand here. But unlike Japan, Microsoft has still a chance in Europe.

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By rebgav

@humanity said:

@rebgav said:

lol.

I forgot about that old adage, "if you don't succeed twice then make a third go of it making absolutely no concessions to the market and blindly blundering ahead oblivious to the reasons for your continued failure because that's a really good idea." Sorry Mom.

When Microsoft says that they're committed to Japan, I hear "I guess we'll release it there too."

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By EXTomar

I'm sure they are committed. I mean they gave us such wonderful marketing pushes for the 360 where all you need to go to Youtube and see how serious they were.

The problem with the Japanese market is that have small living room. If Americans had problems trying to get Kinect to work in their houses, it was impossible to get it to work in most Japanese apartments and homes.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@jerr said:

Of course Mattrick is going to say that at this stage when asked about Japan. What else is he going to say, "We're not committed to Japan at all, fuck 'em"?

Don Mattrick keepin' it real all up in this piece.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Humanity

@rebgav: You must share your sources for this inside information about Microsofts overseas marketing strategy, I'm fascinated to read all about it.

theveej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By theveej

Good one Microsoft!

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going to make a wild guess and say that they aren't really "committed" but that as long as they manage supply it will be infinitely more profitable to sell a few in Japan rather than publicly give up on the market and proclaim to their investors that they failed. Non story.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

If that's not complete bullshit, maybe I'll be interested in the X-bone. The 360 really only interested me because of the good chunk of (albeit mostly shitty) exclusive JRPGs that had early in the lifecycle.

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By rebgav

@humanity said:

@rebgav: You must share your sources for this inside information about Microsofts overseas marketing strategy, I'm fascinated to read all about it.

The most prominent complaints about the 360 are even more valid when applied to the new box. It is still a big ugly box, it is still online-service focused, there are still no meaningful Japanese games exclusive to the platform (that we know of.) MS can strategize around that maybe but I am perfectly happy to state that I think that the Xbox will continue to struggle in Japan and it will be because it's a Western machine for Western markets. You're welcome to continue arguing with me about my opinion though!

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Humanity

@rebgav: I certainly wouldn't want to make the mistake of arguing with someone on the internet. Of course you're absolutely right in that you are fully entitled to your own opinions no matter how unnecessarily condescending in tone they can get.

jamesdba3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great commitment! Xbox one in Japan LATE 2014!!

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

This is pretty hilarious in retrospect. Committed to ignoring all of Asia until next year.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cool so they will buy another bunch of JRPGs the most people will not play? As long its not Persona....

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@humanity said:

@rebgav said:

lol.

Yeah, given what we know now, "lol" sounds about right. Another classic case of Microsoft saying one thing and then demonstrating differently.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

But didn't they essentially say that Japan wouldn't be getting online at launch? And isn't this a console whose entire operation depends on an Internet connection?

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Oh Microsoft, they so funny!

No Caption Provided

Nephrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was very confused about this topic until I saw it was started before E3.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel: Give them a year and they'll release it over there and it probably won't sell very well but at least they're still trying.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By colourful_hippie

haha

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@humanity said:

@hailinel: Give them a year and they'll release it over there and it probably won't sell very well but at least they're still trying.

There's a difference between "trying" and "actually giving a shit when you do." Microsoft views Japan (and all of Asia, really) as a secondary market in which they have no chance, and so they're not even making the effort to engage in a world-wide launch. By the time the Xbox One is available in Japan, the market will already be overtaken by the PS4 and Wii U. The hardcore dedicated audience of the 360 will either have moved on by that point or continue to be part of a tiny market.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#37  Edited By ThePickle
    Loading Video...

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#38 gamer_152  Moderator

Yep, most of Japan went "Fuck the Xbox", so Microsoft went "Fuck everyone in Japan".

Avatar image for 23r23d23r23423r23r
    23r23d23er23r234f2f2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hope they can make a significant impact this time around

Nephrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To be fair, I think it's entirely fair for the Xbox to not commit to Japan. They clearly aren't interested.

I just think pretending they are when it's the exact opposite is silly.

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By shinjin977

While I am 100% sure no one who work at Microsoft will read this or if they do it will even matter, here are some advice from someone who live and work in asia (Japan, Thailand, Hongkong).

As long as the DRM stuff is still in place, the Xbox one will bomb even harder than the 360 in asia. I am talking a few thousand units, bomb. Unless Microsoft have Final Fantasy exclusive games, I predict the Xbox One not even crossing 1 million unit sold in asia combine. Most gamers in asia are pc gamers (net cafe) and the only reason they buy console is for the big exclusive (RE, FF, MonHun). So lock those down or fail.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By mrfluke

what a load of bull.

unless they have a Japanese exclusive lined up next year for that market, they will sink again,

microsoft, with those policies on that xbox one, show that they do not cater to the minority markets anymore.

the 8-4 guys have said japan is HUGE on used games, the policies ridden on this machine will never fly with the asia market, only way this takes off is if the controlling your tv with voice happens to hit with that market. and even then, that'ill only be a short term market for them to put focus on, as they have made it very clear their target is more the US.

unless they do have a big exclusive IP aimed at Japanese markets, or they locked-down an exclusive, then no significant progress will be made in the japanese market.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

I want to see Sony or Microsoft hold a press conference where all they say is, "Suikoden," drop the mic, and then wave their bare naked ass at the smoking ruin that was their former competitor.

No, but seriously, more traditional JRPGs, please. Or at least RPGs that feel like RPGs, like Lost Odyssey or Ni no Kuni. Hey, what the hell is Level-5 up to, anyways? Bring them on board! Get them making Dark Cloud 3, or Rogue Galaxy 2, or something that will sell all of ten copies but be adored by those ten fans for life.

Good grief, I'd be a terrible businessman.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.