Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

MS "Resolution not important"

• 118 results
    beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@devilzrule27 said:

Instead of bashing the OP, because honestly I don't frequent the forums often enough to tell the difference between most people here, I'm just gonna say I was hoping that with improved hardware the tricks that developers had to use to get more consistent frame rates on the consoles would be a thing of the past. Bummer that it sounds like it's not.

That's an unfortunate reality with software development. As the hardware gets more powerful, developers will always be pushing the metal, which means weird tricks and work around. It's just a factor of remaining competitive. It would be lovely if the market allowed developers to maintain the current graphical quality and use the new horsepower to improve the gameplay and AI, as well as for publishers to push more money towards well written narratives with compelling connections to the gameplay.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@beforet said:

@devilzrule27 said:

Instead of bashing the OP, because honestly I don't frequent the forums often enough to tell the difference between most people here, I'm just gonna say I was hoping that with improved hardware the tricks that developers had to use to get more consistent frame rates on the consoles would be a thing of the past. Bummer that it sounds like it's not.

That's an unfortunate reality with software development. As the hardware gets more powerful, developers will always be pushing the metal, which means weird tricks and work around. It's just a factor of remaining competitive. It would be lovely if the market allowed developers to maintain the current graphical quality and use the new horsepower to improve the gameplay and AI, as well as for publishers to push more money towards well written narratives with compelling connections to the gameplay.

Also doubling the frame rate requires a ton of power and honestly most games do not need 60 FPS. Maybe Racing games and sports games but locked 30 FPS is really enough for the most part. I tried to play Dark Souls on the PC with 60 FPS and man had I trouble. It was a total different and way faster game.

Time_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

One more reason to not buy the Xbox One If there not all going to be at least 720P why bother?

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beforet said:

@devilzrule27 said:

I know it would crop up eventually but since it's basically PC architecture and most PC games run a solid 60 at high res on good machines, I was hoping for some parody for a while.

moffattron9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By moffattron9000

@darji said:

@hailinel said:

@darji said:

@hailinel said:

@darji said:

@thetenthdoctor said:

@grilledcheez: You. Right there. I like the cut of your jib.

MGS4, Gears3, GT5, Uncharted 3 and just about every beautiful game this generation ran below 1080p. Give me those graphics at 60fps or better graphics at 30fps and I don't care about clock speeds, teraflops or pixel count.

Then why would you wnat to pay 500$ for that? Norms and Standards are getting higher with each generation and this should not be an exception.

How many people actually paid that much? Also, what does that matter?

MAny people did and it does matter. If it did not matter then we would be still stuck with 8Bit graphics.

Oh, you're good for a laugh.

Why because I am right? Graphics always mattered. Power always mattered. Better sound always mattered. And while 8bit is today a graphic style of choice for indy developers back than it was a revolution.

Atari 2600 was it's generation despite the more powerful Intellivision and colecovision

NES destroyed the Sega Master System despite it being the weaker console

Neo Geo was with ease the most powerful console but the SNES and the Mega drive were streets ahead due to the much lower price tag

N64 was much more powerful than the Playstation but the decision to stick with cartridges priced the majority developers and consumers away from the console

The Xbox and the Gamecube were more powerful than the PS2 but the inclusion of a DVD Drive at the right time, and the better developer support lead to a Sony winning at levels unseen since the NES era

The PS3 and the 360 were roughly equivalent in power, but both of them couldn't compete with the Wii, which was the right device at the right time.

Graphics have never defined a console generation; it always comes down to general software support, and most likely this one will be no different to all of the others.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@hailinel said:

@darji said:

@hailinel said:

@darji said:

@thetenthdoctor said:

@grilledcheez: You. Right there. I like the cut of your jib.

MGS4, Gears3, GT5, Uncharted 3 and just about every beautiful game this generation ran below 1080p. Give me those graphics at 60fps or better graphics at 30fps and I don't care about clock speeds, teraflops or pixel count.

Then why would you wnat to pay 500$ for that? Norms and Standards are getting higher with each generation and this should not be an exception.

How many people actually paid that much? Also, what does that matter?

MAny people did and it does matter. If it did not matter then we would be still stuck with 8Bit graphics.

Oh, you're good for a laugh.

Why because I am right? Graphics always mattered. Power always mattered. Better sound always mattered. And while 8bit is today a graphic style of choice for indy developers back than it was a revolution.

Atari 2600 was it's generation despite the more powerful Intellivision and colecovision

NES destroyed the Sega Master System despite it being the weaker console

Neo Geo was with ease the most powerful console but the SNES and the Mega drive were streets ahead due to the much lower price tag

N64 was much more powerful than the Playstation but the decision to stick with cartridges priced the majority developers and consumers away from the console

The Xbox and the Gamecube were more powerful than the PS2 but the inclusion of a DVD Drive at the right time, and the better developer support lead to a Sony winning at levels unseen since the NES era

The PS3 and the 360 were roughly equivalent in power, but both of them couldn't compete with the Wii, which was the right device at the right time.

Graphics have never defined a console generation; it always comes down to general software support, and most likely this one will be no different to all of the others.

If they are on the same level sure if they are vastly more powerful i does matter. the Wii was an exception because it has something new for people who never played a video game before.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beforet said:

@devilzrule27 said:

I know it would crop up eventually but since it's basically PC architecture and most PC games run a solid 60 at high res on good machines, I was hoping for some parody for a while.

Yeah, that's true. I guess part of it is that PC is an open and changing platform hardware wise, whereas the consoles are have set specs. Which has its own advantages, because it means that games can be programmed to the metal and hyper optimized, resulting in games that exceed PC for a good time after release. But then it also means that everyone runs into that problem of not having anywhere higher to push to, so instead they have to get weird and creative (programming wise) with what they've got, which is kind of cool in its own way.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#108  Edited By Sooty
    @devilzrule27 said:
    @beforet said:

@devilzrule27 said:

People are gonna be pretty disappointed if they expect that. BF3 is 2 years old this year and I'll eat my hat if any console game looks as good this year.

Still excited for the PS4 though.

@beforet said:
    @devilzrule27 said:
    @beforet said:

@devilzrule27 said:

because it means that games can be programmed to the metal and hyper optimized, resulting in games that exceed PC for a good time after release

What? That doesn't happen and it certainly won't with the new consoles as PCs are so astronomically far ahead at the moment. Hell, the 2007 Crysis release still looks better than every console game out, and most PC games too actually.

Considering this game came out 6 years ago, if we had new consoles sooner I'm pretty confident we'd be looking at far more impressive games than we are today. I hope next generation games and indeed PC are able to evolve without the shackles of catering for the 360 and PS3 which have been holding everything back.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sooty said:

@devilzrule27 said:

@beforet said:

@devilzrule27 said:

People are gonna be pretty disappointed if they expect that. BF3 is 2 years old this year and I'll eat my hat if any console game looks as good this year.

Still excited for the PS4 though.

I think this looks better than BF3 on the PC

No Caption Provided

But lets wait and see how BF4 will look on a Pc without a 900$ GPU like they showed in the trailer^^

zFUBARz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@darji said:

If they are on the same level sure if they are vastly more powerful i does matter. the Wii was an exception because it has something new for people who never played a video game before.

Dude like he just said, the stronger console almost NEVER wins out. Like in all other markets lowest common denominator is the key factor in development, and software/features with the widest appeal are what make up the difference.

@darji said:

@beforet said:

@devilzrule27 said:

Also doubling the frame rate requires a ton of power and honestly most games do not need 60 FPS. Maybe Racing games and sports games but locked 30 FPS is really enough for the most part. I tried to play Dark Souls on the PC with 60 FPS and man had I trouble. It was a total different and way faster game.

You know you made this topic sensationalizing the exact opposite of what you're saying here right? Right? like do you even pay attention to your own topics? I mean I can envision a scenario in which you're not because you're just randomly quoted every bad rumour you hear on Gaf it seems. I guess what I'm saying is you're not the troll we deserve, or the one we need. I expect better frankly.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zfubarz said:
    @darji said:

Dude like he just said, the stronger console almost NEVER wins out. Like in all other markets lowest common denominator is the key factor in development, and software/features with the widest appeal are what make up the difference.

@darji said:

@beforet said:

@devilzrule27 said:

You know you made this topic sensationalizing the exact opposite of what you're saying here right? Right? like do you even pay attention to your own topics? I mean I can envision a scenario in which you're not because you're just randomly quoted every bad rumour you hear on Gaf it seems. I guess what I'm saying is you're not the troll we deserve, or the one we need. I expect better frankly.

Wrong. Personally I do not care about FPS because 30 FPS locked is better than 60 FPS not locked. I however care about resolution since resolution can upgrade the graphics of a game by a lot. And the actual Jump from 70P to native 1080P is a really big one.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sooty: I guess I'm talking idealistically here. I know that doesn't happen, else console games would be a lot more stable than they are. I also don't know what's gonna happen this gen, though it's possible you're right about PC. It just seemed to work out that way last (this? What are we calling PS3/360?) gen, at least at the beginning when PS3 and 360 were still shiny and new. I might just be misremembering though, I forget that I was hella young back then.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beforet said:

@sooty: I guess I'm talking idealistically here. I know that doesn't happen, else console games would be a lot more stable than they are. I also don't know what's gonna happen this gen, though it's possible you're right about PC. It just seemed to work out that way last (this? What are we calling PS3/360?) gen, at least at the beginning when PS3 and 360 were still shiny and new. I might just be misremembering though, I forget that I was hella young back then.

The PC will definitely profit from this next generation because now DX11 features are in there from the go. Also better textures and better lighting from the get go as well.

Caustic_Fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Well... shyat. They shoulda called it the Xbox 360.1 since we will not be seeing much improvement in the resolution on the side of things. M$ apparently still finds 2005 720P resolutions acceptable.

Alekss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they antialise the shit out of it I'm alright with this. Raing games can look pretty good at 720p too and 60 fps will be way better.
    I hope most games keep 1080p60 though.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#116  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

A couple of things here.

1) I don't care. "Graphics" can consist of geometry, texture resolution, frame rate, shadows, physics, resolution, and loads of other things. If a game developer wants to lower resolution to maintain a better frame rate, or better physics, or whatever the trade off, then that should be their call to make. Call of Duty 4 and onward were massive hits, in part due to the way the games feel, and it wouldn't have been possible to get that unusually smooth 60 frames per second gameplay if MS was forcing everyone to use 720p.

2) If you don't like the thread, don't post, flag the post, or PM a moderator. I think the personal attacks in this thread are far worse than some bitching about Microsoft, and I completely disagree with the original post.

indus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#117  Edited By indus

@blu3v3nom07:

@darson: My tv is a almost bottom tier price, 32 inch Westinghouse 720p set. It was almost the cheapest I could find without getting like a house brand. I.e. Dynex

And I sort of agree with your statement. I wonder how my tv will be affected once everything starts getting to like 4K resolution, and things like that.

Depending on how far away you sit from your television, the human eye has a hard time telling the difference between 720p and 1080p so don't worry about 4k unless you've got a very very large projector. Source: http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/720p-vs-1080p-can-you-tell-the-difference-between-hdtv-resolutions/

Generally speaking, if you sit more than 10 feet away from your TV, and your display isn’t bigger than 50 inches diagonally, you won’t be able to tell the difference between 720 and 1080.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i think the best idea all round is to just wait till E3 and let the games do the talking.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dude, holy shit, you're such a fanboy.

And change your damn avatar already!

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@arbitrarywater said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@animasta said:

@humanity said:

Each time Darji makes a thread the very first reply should always be a Brighty post about DmC since he has run that gimmick into the ground much like Darji is doing with these threads.

Then you'd have whyareyoucrouchingspock post a book length dissertation of why Total War is better than DmC and Console gaming.

whyareyoucrouchingspock got banned afaik

Wha.what? when? ;_;

Like last year. I know. I miss inane comments on the absolute superiority of the Total War franchise (and PC gaming in general) as much as you do.

Man all the great characters and crazies got banned last year didn't they?

I'm pretty sure they've all made new accounts by now.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@hunkulese said:

@darji: what exactly is your problem? You expect them to put in a hard requirement that every game runs at a certain resolution?

Various reasons.

1. There should be at least some kind of standard or we will end up with somethng like the Wii U no one wants.

2. This interview was at the same time published as the rumors starting to get more and more true. Which rumors? That MS has trouble with their ESram Yield and that people already talking about downsizing the clock speed

Around the PlayStation Meeting the Xbox One was way behind (OS + hardware). Engineers were scrambling to get things sorted out.

It turns out, they didn't sort it out. The OS you saw was a complete and total lie. The current plan is to get the yields up, lower the clock rate, and to have enough units out for a sell out in the Fall.

For those asking how this affects performance- to be perfectly frank; it is nothing turning down features won't solve. The mass market will never notice a difference between 1080p and 900p; neither will they care about dynamic shadows / global illumination / or tesselation. Go to your PC - and turn shadows from Ultra to medium, disable tesselation, and lower the resolution to 900p; and you'll find games run totally fine.

Microsoft is purely behind and it's now time to make drastic decisions. I don't think any one is happy about the lower clocks, but no one is depressed about it either. The Xbox One is an all-in-on device; and that's how it will be marketed.

And If you follow all the stuff that is going on right now you can see that this is true. A little bit less downsizing and the XBOX ONE will power wise on the level of a Wii U. They are already using 3 GB of Ram just for their 3 different OS now the clockspeed and the best thing about all of this is they will keep quiet just like Nintendo did. And wich also will help making the UI faster just like you have seen at the conference. So yeah if you do not care about these thing and still have a SD TV be my guest on hating me. I know people are care about this stuff so I post it.

There's no standard on the 360. There's no standard on the PS3. There's no standard on the PC. Not really a problem. Developers want their games to look as good as possible and run as smoothly as possible and hamstringing them by enforcing a resolution is ridiculous and counter-intuitive.

Why are you trying to support your argument by quoting what some random person is saying in an internet forum?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.