Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

Why Xbox One isn't that bad

Daniel94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Daniel94

Aside of the 24h internet thing, this console is opening massive posibilities.

1. You can now share all your games with top ten friends immediately, they can play any of your games in his own Xbox and his Own Account, they can play the game even if you're playing it, a huge advantage compared to the old fashion way (lending the physical game) in which you could not play the game in the meantime.

2. You can now share your games with friends living far away from your home, even living in other cities or states.

3. This feature can save you money, for instance you can buy Bioshock and your friend buy Halo 5, now you can play two games for half the price.

4. No more disc being scratched, trips to actually lend the game, friends keeping the game too much XD.

4. overall you would have acces to many more title for a fraction of the money.

5. Xbox Cloud system could become in a new steam, with amazing offers.

I remember when steam started, a lot of hate was spread too.

So just saying, is not that bad, is actually, pretty good.

EDIT: Giant bomb page Won't let me post anymore, sorry, it says i've just reached my posts limit XD

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By rollingzeppelin

I wonder how many more of these threads there will be? They're almost like spam at this point.

Warfare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Are you getting paid overtime?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Uh-huh. Sure. It's a "massive possibility" that I can share a game I own with up ten people, but only if they're on a special section of my friends list.

What the fuck is the benefit of that, again? As it stands now, I can lend a game disc to any friend of mine that happens to own the same console without jumping through DRM hoops.

Daniel94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

Uh-huh. Sure. It's a "massive possibility" that I can share a game I own with up ten people, but only if they're on a special section of my friends list.

What the fuck is the benefit of that, again? As it stands now, I can lend a game disc to any friend of mine that happens to own the same console without jumping through DRM hoops.

But can't play it at the same time.

If there are already many threads about this, then sorry, i did not see them neither browse for them.

Dr_Perscitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daniel94 said:

1. You can now share all your games with top ten friends immediately, they can play any of your games in his own Xbox and his Own Account, they can play the game even if you're playing it, a huge advantage compared to the old fashion way (lending the physical game) in which you could not play the game in the meantime.

2. You can now share your games with friends living far away from your home, even living in other cities or states.

3. This feature can save you money, for instance you can buy Bioshock and your friend buy Halo 5, now you can play two games for half the price.

4. No more disc being scratched, trips to actually lend the game, friends keeping the game too much XD.

It isn't "opening up" any new opportunities; points 2 and 3 exist now don't they.

Point 4 is bollocks (look after your stuff more).

...and points 5 (your second 4) and 6 are also a pipe dream. For example MGR:Revengeance is £44.99 on games on demand (digital), but is £24.99 on Amazon (boxed)

I agree, point 1 is novel, you will be able to login to a friends machine and play your games from the 'cloud', but presumably they mean after you download it to your friends system? my internet is 2Mb I really don't want to have to download games all of the time, for any reason. I also think this means 10 people on your system.

I agree that there are a lot of positives to look at with Microsoft (great games at E3), but this idea that they are 'doing us a favour' by doing all of this is utter crap.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daniel94 said:

@hailinel said:

If there are already many threads about this, then sorry, i did not see them neither browse for them.

Dude, I don't know if you're getting paid, but you come across as a pretty poor Microsoft shill. I say this because apparently there are people being paid to do exactly what you're doing, which is coming into game forums and posting rah-rah threads about the Xbox One and its consumer unfriendly policies.

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daniel94 said:

@hailinel said:

That's still very unclear if you can do that on the XBone. The official MS wording on that is strange to say the least.

Daniel94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah, i just think that the hate is way too much, i'm a pc gamer by the way, and will not buy neither the ps4 o Xone, i just can't comprehend all the hate.

@Dr_Perscitus

How can you do points 2 and 3 and still play the game you lend? And lend it to someone in other state? by mail?

bassman2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 12

The main point that people seem to bring up is the fact that you can have 10 unrelated people who can all share the games with no problem (except for only 1-2 [we don't know for sure] being able to play at once)

The thing is that if this is true, it'd fuck publishers even harder than used games ever could. Why would Microsoft do that?

Chibithor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Can you post a source on 1. or something? I see it posted once in a while, but it sounds insane that with all the DRM at the same time they'd let people share games just like that. The restrictions on that cannot possibly be as trivial as you make them out to be.

The rest of the points are either the same as the first, nonsense (How are cloud and discounts related?) or...disc scratches. I think Billy Hatcher is the only game I've ever lost thanks to scratches, so forgive me if I don't jump out of excitement.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@hailinel: I've noticed multiple people on this site alone that seem to have joined within the last two weeks and are deliberately sticking up for the Xbone like it'll be the last thing they ever do. Didn't know Microsoft was being that desperate in sending out poorly disguised shills, but now at least that makes sense.

Daniel94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Daniel94

@bassman2112:

I know what you mean but, It's not like the ten people can play the game at the same time, all your ten friends will wait until their turn to play it?

And almost every game has multiplayer now so, some of them will actually have to buy the game too.

Source:

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/license

I can't post anymore, giantbomb page would not let me don't know why, i'm a newbie i suppose, sorry.

As i said i just think the hate is too much, i wish i was getting paid haha. Sorry if this bother you...

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can you post a source on 1. or something? I see it posted once in a while, but it sounds insane that with all the DRM at the same time they'd let people share games just like that. The restrictions on that cannot possibly be as trivial as you make them out to be.

The rest of the points are either the same as the first, nonsense (How are cloud and discounts related?) or...disc scratches. I think Billy Hatcher is the only game I've ever lost thanks to scratches, so forgive me if I don't jump out of excitement.

Ironically, the only game of I mine I can recall ever becoming unplayable due to a damaged disc was a 360 game that was damaged by that wonky disc drive. Microsoft hardware quality at its finest!

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@daniel94:

A) This will NEVER happen. When they say 10 family members, they mean it. It's going to be 10 sub-accounts, period. If, as you think, MS is really going to allow ANY 10 people to hook up and have some kind of internet video game orgy, the system will be altered almost immediately. If that WAS their intent, they would be saying "10 friends" not "10 family members."

If that really is the way they will operate, then even *I* will GLADLY buy an Xbox One. You would essentially be paying $6.00 a game, even if you bought at full price. Even if games couldn't be played by more than one person at a time, if you all bought games at the same time, you'd have access to 10 brand new games for 60 dollars. That's crazy, and that's NOT going to happen. If MS wanted you doing that, it would be a MAJOR point of every single interview or console discussion.

See explanation "A"

See explanation "A"

B) I'm not an irresponsible with my property / see explanation "A"

You have two fours. Also, See explanation "A"

C) Xbox Live on the 360 could have become the new steam, with amazing offers. It didn't.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daniel94 said:

Engh.

Comparing it to Steam is a little bit disingenuous.

I've seen several people saying "people didn't like steam at first either" as though they were misguided in disliking Steam, and they came around eventually. People disliked Steam when it launched because all it did was authenticate Half Life 2, and it didn't work properly. IT wasn't the Steam we know today. People were RIGHT to dislike Steam when Valve rolled it out.

Now what people like about steam is steep discounts on games that they can buy easily and conveniently.

If MS wants to work their way to becoming something that is beloved, let them. But it would be foolish for people to pre-emptively love something that sounds like a poor business proposition for gamers on the promisary note of MS, possibly, eventually, turning it into something they might like.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#17  Edited By ThePickle

What about the required 24-hour online check in. If I'm not playing an online game, I shouldn't have to connect to the internet. Period. I have personally experience extended outages and I've got it way better than most. And that's just on my side of things. What happens in the Microsoft servers go down? You're telling me they are going to be 100% perfect for the 4-6 year lifespan of this machine? The reliance on these check ins means that there will once be a day when I can no longer play any Xbone games. That's the definition of fucked.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Love all these new accounts creating threads like this. Not suspicious at all.

Dr_Perscitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daniel94:

@daniel94 said:

Nah, i just think that the hate is way too much, i'm a pc gamer by the way, and will not buy neither the ps4 o Xone, i just can't comprehend all the hate.

@Dr_Perscitus

How can you do points 2 and 3 and still play the game you lend? And lend it to someone in other state? by mail?

What?

Microsoft aren't going to let you do that, you can lend someone the game, but you cant play it at the same time. Its 10 people on your system, "10 Family members". For Christ's sake do you really think that's going to happen? they would have just dropped game sales to 10% (10 people "sharing" 1 game). bloody hell, they are undercharging for the console if that's the case, either that or the games are going to be £500 each.!

They also don't mean, "playing at exactly the same time either", they mean you play for an hour, quit to do something else and you dad, mum, sister etc login and can play the game as well (without the need for a separate Live account).

I blame Microsoft for these threads it must be patently obvious that the message is being lost if every day there are 10 more threads like this.

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

I wonder how many more of these threads there will be? They're almost like spam at this point.

Yeah, at this point Microsoft has made it clear that they're sending paid shills.

Adaurin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

As long as you don't defend required Kinect, most of their stuff doesn't exactly make me happy, but I can deal with, but the forced Kinect is the absolute worse thing about it.

TangoUp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TangoUp

Those points actually sound good. But I'm sure there are some riders on it (like lending only once etc).

The problem is, there is so much fine print everywhere, that finding the big print is becoming more troublesome.

Darson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@daniel94 said:

I have a feeling that this is skewed in some way and is far too easily abused to be true. Regardless, I have no friends anyway.

I have no friends. If I did they wouldn't share with me anyway. Fuck em'.

I HAVE NO FRIENDS STOP RUBBING IT IN PRICK

AHAHAHAMWOAHSHADSDHSHFNOFRIENDSOMGIMGONNADIEFOREVERALONE

NOT IF I HAD ANY FRIENDS

That would be nice, but Microsoft is wayyyyyy to greedy and unreliable to keep something like that going strong like Valve does.

Mainly because it was the first of its kind. I remember when there was only Valve games on the store because no one believed in it and thought the digital distribution of games was bullshit. In Microsoft's case, this is the first time it's on consoles so it is somewhat understandable why some are in a hissy. But now that we're used to this system, we can make the stark comparisons between Microsoft's attempt and Steam's success.

I have no friends

I'm in no way saying that this should be everyone's grand experience.

Dark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By Dark

This person's arguments make a whole lot of sense, especially from a guy who has no previous posting history and is calling praise of something that is being pretty much (but defiantly not everybody) panned. Clearly this is just a random person with NO link to ANY sort of microsoft marketing at all.

::Edit:: /Sarcasm

His 'answers' are about as clear as microsofts, no clear cut THIS IS HOW IT IS just lots of 'think about it, you could do *coughough* or you COULD just give your friend the disc, OURS IS EASIER GUYZ!!!'

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the fact you have to write a 5 point bullet list to try and convince people that it "isn't that bad" is telling in and of itself

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BestUsernameEver

Until Microsoft says to it's employees they can stop.

mrpandaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By mrpandaman

@daniel94 said:

Engh.

Comparing it to Steam is a little bit disingenuous.

I've seen several people saying "people didn't like steam at first either" as though they were misguided in disliking Steam, and they came around eventually. People disliked Steam when it launched because all it did was authenticate Half Life 2, and it didn't work properly. IT wasn't the Steam we know today. People were RIGHT to dislike Steam when Valve rolled it out.

Now what people like about steam is steep discounts on games that they can buy easily and conveniently.

If MS wants to work their way to becoming something that is beloved, let them. But it would be foolish for people to pre-emptively love something that sounds like a poor business proposition for gamers on the promisary note of MS, possibly, eventually, turning it into something they might like.

You're right, the problem with the "Steam was awful before" comparison is that Steam is better now, a lot of the issues have been resolved. You have to compare what Xbox One is going to have to what Steam is now. And Xbox One version sounds awful when comparing it to the Steam service. MS should look at what makes Steam such a good service and copy that, not do all this arbitrary and consumer-unfriendly bullshit they are doing. Literally they have a prime example of a service of what a consumer loves yet they are kicking themselves in the ass with how they are portraying their service is going to work.

People have a right to be angry with what MS is doing, because all it seems like they are doing is adding an extra step, an extra layer of things to force people into this all digital future. We're still a ways away from that. There is still a fairly large portion of the audience that still likes to buy their games on disc and actually fully own their game as digital rights on digital games is still up in the air at least on consoles.

Stepside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#29  Edited By Stepside

I like how this guy has 6 total posts. 5 of which are in this thread.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@rollingzeppelin said:

Agreed.

bgdiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I enjoy giving up consumer rights for products that "aren't that bad".

sub_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

No Caption Provided

There's sudden influx of new users who signed up just recently and start posting about new consoles (regardless whether it's PS4 or XBox One)

I'm inclined to get PS4, but that's because I enjoy some experimental games funded by Sony (Heavy Rain, Journey, Flower, etc). However I'm not going to get one day one, because I'd rather wait and see and there's still a catalogs of games from current gen that I wanna try first.

Honestly I think that XBox One has quite a strong exclusives. D4, Crimson Dragon, Titanfall, all looks good. PS4 on the other side has interesting indie lineup.

But what I don't understand is that, why do people need to go on and start posting thread to justify what they are going to buy. If you think you're going to enjoy it, buy it, and there's no need to persuade others about it. It's your experience ! You're the one who will have fun with it, and that's the most important !

If you feel that it's more important that everyone supports what you buy, then in the end you might not feel that it's fun anymore. Just believe in what you want, and go for it. There's no need to persuade others about it. Take a deep breath, exhale, and just believe in what you want. What others think in the end doesn't really matter, well unless it's your product that you're selling, then maybe it matters to keep your company afloat.

KentonClay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By KentonClay

@marokai said:

@hailinel: I've noticed multiple people on this site alone that seem to have joined within the last two weeks and are deliberately sticking up for the Xbone like it'll be the last thing they ever do. Didn't know Microsoft was being that desperate in sending out poorly disguised shills, but now at least that makes sense.

I was going to tell you to go back to tinfoil hat land, but the super generic username is pretty suspicious, too.

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

@kentonclay: You do tend to get an influx of new users around E3, though.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#35  Edited By ajamafalous

@marokai said:

I was going to tell you to go back to tinfoil hat land, but the super generic username is pretty suspicious, too.

You can tell because only official PR omit the 'the' when talking about a console in a sentence (e.g. The Wii U vs. Wii U).

HertoDan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By HertoDan

Thats a troll thread :) Xbox one has not only these "advantages", but disadvantages also... as many people already stated here.

-Dan http://greenavis.com/

Daniel94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Daniel94

Hi.

I reached my post limits, sorry.

However, i do see that many threads are talking about this. I only said the good things that XBone imo has, because let's face it, all the internet is talking about how bad it is and that we shoul kill it with fire haha.

If at the end things turn out to be as i stated here, it would be FOR ME the best console, again FOR ME.

The only bad thing to me is the disc-based game sales policy, but it's not a big concern to me.

Now, people can buy wathever they want, it's their money anyway.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.