Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

"Xbox one is kinect"

• 56 results
    Avatar image for colonel_pockets
    Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 46

What do you guys think about this? I think that it's insane that microsoft is coming out saying this after they said that kinect does not need to be plugged in. It just shows to me how back and forth they are. To me there messaging is still all over the place... It's sad to because right now i think they have better exclusives RIGHT NOW than Sony... Obviously that will probably chang...

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

What do you guys think about this? I think that it's insane that microsoft is coming out saying this after they said that kinect does not need to be plugged in. It just shows to me how back and forth they are. To me there messaging is still all over the place... It's sad to because right now i think they have better exclusives RIGHT NOW than Sony... Obviously that will probably chang...

Or they are saying to all the people " No we wont sell it without Kinect"

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

I think the Xbox One is many things (a TV/Netflix box for some, a gaming console for others) for many different people. Some people will want buy a One just for the ability to control your TV with your voice and gestures. When Microsoft says that Xbox One is Kinect, they're catering at a specific crowd.

Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_laughing_man: That's true... I just feel that if they are going to be out there saying they should have just kept it mandatory. I assume a lot people will have there kinect unplugged and put to the side....

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_laughing_man: That's true... I just feel that if they are going to be out there saying they should have just kept it mandatory. I assume a lot people will have there kinect unplugged and put to the side....

You know what I think. Its MS sayign to Devs" Do not worry. X1 WILL all ways have kinect"

Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_laughing_man: Ok but as of right now Microsoft has not showcased a kinect game like they did when the original kinect came out...

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_laughing_man: Ok but as of right now Microsoft has not showcased a kinect game like they did when the original kinect came out...

Maybe just maybe they realized " Lets not cloud release day with Kinect stuff." Remeber every E3 since kinect? "STOP SHOWING KINECT GAMES!"

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#8  Edited By JasonR86

No thanks!

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Fantasia MUSIC Evolved looks pretty sick (Not Joking)

No Caption Provided

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If that's true then show me the compelling Kinect games, Microsoft. Show me why Kinect is a thing to care about.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Including kinect in the box totally makes sense. Kinect has potential, but we've seen few games for it on 360 because of the limited install base. Including it in every box means that every developer of every game can assume that the kinect is there, and can create features around it. That is the only way to do it.

If they had included it as an optional extra it would have fallen by the wayside just like the 360 kinect. Having it mandatory to keep it connected to the console was slightly overkill (I mean, if your kinect breaks, you should be able to use your perfectly functioning console without it), but the core concept of kinect in every box is the right call.

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Xbox One is Kinect. Kinect is Xbox One?

I am disappointed as someone who doesn't really care for Kinect, but I understand why it's bundled.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By falserelic

Yep, just like how in infamous cole and kesslar was the same person. can't say O the irony...

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is that what people want? To be honest most people roll their eyes as soon as MS starts talking about how great for games it is and I think they're very aware of that, that's why they've been pushing all the dashboard UI stuff and not saying much about Kinect games. Probably a smart move.

leftie68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By leftie68

This limited install base being the reason for limited Kinect uses in games is absolutely bogus. Including it in every box will make no difference in the applicability of it's use in core games...period. It will always be pigeon-held into some arbitrary use in some core games and that is it. You have to realize, that most games come out on multi-platforms AND implementing the Kinect's functions in games just hasn't made sense. Heck even the exclusive Xbox One games coming out don't impliment a great Kinect 2.0 use. If it was such a revolutionary piece of equipment, you would think they would show that from the get go.

Plain and simple the Kinect IS an accessory. In my opinion it should have been sold as an accessory. Now don't get me wrong, I think for what it is, Kinect 2.0 is a great accessory, and if you are into Kinect-type games then I am sure it is worth the $100. However, don't fall for that "integrated into every facet of the Xbox experience" B.S.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigjeffrey: What do you think of the kinect ? i have seen you in the past stating you want a kinectless xbox. Are you going to just get the full package if they don't remove kinect ?

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mariachimacabre said:

@jasonr86 said:

No thanks!

This makes complete sense but I don't want it.

Yep. I have zero interest in Kinect. Zero interest in using it or paying an extra hundred for it.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By HerbieBug

I read that as "Xbox One is not for you and is not something you want to buy."

Fair enough, Microsoft. I shall jaunt on down the street to your competitor's shop whilst whistling a happy tune.

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By DharmaBum

We'll see about that once their console doesn't sell well out the gate.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Xbox one is kinect"

For making me want to buy a product, this phrase is right up there with "Soylent Green is people."

Xsnipd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spraynardtatum said:

@mariachimacabre said:

@jasonr86 said:

No thanks!

Yep. I have zero interest in Kinect. Zero interest in using it or paying an extra hundred for it.

As part of the GB community and seeing this starting flame war hate on a console thread (makes me think of PS fanboys when I see it) I gotta say:

C'Mon Man

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By tourgen

kinect by itself is dumb.

kinect with a head mounted display starts to make sense.

I'll buy a kinect 2.0 package for my PC to mess around with. It would be cool to see Rift support on the xbone but I don't see MS getting their act together to make that happen.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By bigjeffrey

@jimmyfenix said:

@bigjeffrey: What do you think of the kinect ? i have seen you in the past stating you want a kinectless xbox. Are you going to just get the full package if they don't remove kinect ?

Thought KinectV1 was complete garbage, wanted to like it. Would like there to be a Kinectless SKU. But regardless will still buy the xbox i complete. With the indies having access to it i can see some weird interesting games using it. Fantasia does look awesome, i guess turning your TV and console on with no buttons is cool. I will give it a second chance.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By JasonR86

@xsnipd said:
    @mariachimacabre said:

@spraynardtatum said:

@mariachimacabre said:

@jasonr86 said:

No thanks!

As part of the GB community and seeing this starting flame war hate on a console thread (makes me think of PS fanboys when I see it) I gotta say:

C'Mon Man

lol

MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jasonr86 said:

@xsnipd said:
    @mariachimacabre said:

@spraynardtatum said:

@mariachimacabre said:

@jasonr86 said:

No thanks!

C'Mon Man

lol

He's right though. My disinterest in paying an extra hundred dollars for motion controls I don't want is a clear sign that I'm a PlayStation fanboy.

lol

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jasonr86 said:

@xsnipd said:
    @mariachimacabre said:

@spraynardtatum said:

@mariachimacabre said:

@jasonr86 said:

No thanks!

C'Mon Man

lol

He's right though. My disinterest in paying an extra hundred dollars for motion controls I don't want is a clear sign that I'm a PlayStation fanboy.

lol

He put in an awful lot of effort trying to call us out though. That was nice of him.

lol

MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jasonr86 said:

@mariachimacabre said:

@jasonr86 said:

@xsnipd said:
    @mariachimacabre said:

@spraynardtatum said:

@mariachimacabre said:

@jasonr86 said:

No thanks!

C'Mon Man

lol

lol

He put in an awful lot of effort trying to call us out though. That was nice of him.

lol

He sure did!

For the record, when Microsoft drops the price, I'm all fucking in on Titanfall. But until then I'm fine with saving my money.

lol

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@thestandardtoaster said:

Fantasia MUSIC Evolved looks pretty sick (Not Joking)

I've watched the E3 demos of it being played, and I'm not sold. Though that has more to do with the awful, awful track list picks that shit all over the concept of Fantasia than anything else.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

The Wii was the wiimote, so really this isn't that crazy at all.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

What I'm taking from this is kind of like saying that Kinect is what is making the X1 stand out from the crowd, and it's true. It has good looking games and Kinect which, from every video and preview I've seen of it in action, looks to actually work.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

"Xbox one is kinect"

For making me want to buy a product, this phrase is right up there with "Soylent Green is people."

Oh that's really good, haha.

HiroKedyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Xbox one is kinect"

Yes, but Soylent Green is my "kind" of people, preferably fried or barbecued.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#35  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@thestandardtoaster said:

Well, they are allowing people to unplug it out of privacy concerns and such, but even if it's unplugged devs know every console has a kinect to go with it. It gives more incentive to include unique kinect features if you know the only inconvenience is the player possibly having to plug the kinect back in, not go buy one.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#36  Edited By ThePickle
    monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

To be honest there are times when Kinect 2 woudl make things simpler, and there are times when it won't. There have been articles and papers about how the 'Minority Report' conception of motion manipulation of a computers is unfeasible, unworkable, and thus distracting to making real interfaces taht woudl work. So, while we can all have dreams about waving our hands to run a computer - it just doesn't work that way all the time.

If Microsoft were REALLY behind Kinect they would spend six years and six hundred million dollars in R&D - Xerox PARK style - working out the concept. That doesn't mean it would never work if they are not doing that, but the real outcome of such a study would probably point out that a computer that works by speech, motion, and sensing other blood flow, eye dilation, subtle motions of face and hands would be more complex that we think now.

Kinect 2 is still a toy. But, in presentation Microsoft keeps pretending it is or could be a mature technology. That doesn't help them because it is simple not true. If computers and such were such a great idea jet fighters would have no stick and throttle. The very fact that teh cars we race at 200 mph, the planes we fly at Mach 1, and the space ships we cruise in have sticks, peddles and throttles tell you something...it tells you a joypad is still thing thing to beat. Hands on 'the stick' is what works best.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Still not buying it. I was told before that Kinect was a high fidelity top quality piece of technology. You're not fooling me twice.

DarthCaine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By DarthCaine

string Kinect = "sucks";

if (Kinect==XBONE) XBONE="sucks";

return "PS4";

AlexGlass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By AlexGlass

I'm not surprised because as I said before, they'd be stupid to drop the biggest advantage they have over the competition and what differentiates the Xbox One from a traditional gaming console. Kinect's the only hardware device between the two consoles that will directly impact innovation in gaming in a significant way.

It's also what integrates the system into something more than a console and adds a futuristic vibe to its overall usage.

And personally I want voice recognition and gesture recognition in my video games. I want games like Project Spark and Kinect Sports Rivals and gaming is a lot more fun and interesting with those games and many more to come in the future. Not sure why any gamer wouldn't.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@alexglass said:

I'm not surprised because as I said before, they'd be stupid to drop the biggest advantage they have over the competition and what differentiates the Xbox One from a traditional gaming console. Kinect's the only hardware device between the two consoles that will directly impact innovation in gaming in a significant way.

It's also what integrates the system into something more than a console and adds a futuristic vibe to its overall usage.

And personally I want voice recognition and gesture recognition in my video games. I want games like Project Spark and Kinect Sports Rivals and gaming is a lot more fun and interesting with those games and many more to come in the future. Not sure why any gamer wouldn't.

To paraphrase John Carmack, Kinect is like a mouse with no buttons and a fair amount of lag.

But aside from 100 dollars, it's still the main factor separating the PS4 and the Xbox One. It kind of blows my mind that MS won't have a single title that truly represents the abilities of the new Kinect ready on launch day. I think that's a huge missed opportunity for them.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By TyCobb

string Kinect = "sucks";

if (Kinect==XBONE) XBONE="sucks";

return "PS4";

• Your variable names should be camel case.
    • You have a variable as XBONE, but I don't see it defined anywhere. Is it a constant? If it's a constant, why the hell are you setting it? You can't change it. If it's not a constant, why is it all caps?
    • If Kinect equals "sucks" and XBONE equals Kinect, why are you setting XBONE to "sucks"? It already equals sucks. The whole method is pointless. You should just return "PS4".

Code review complete and you suck. =)

Xsnipd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Xsnipd

@mariachimacabre said:

@jasonr86 said:

@mariachimacabre said:

@jasonr86 said:

@xsnipd said:
    @mariachimacabre said:

@spraynardtatum said:

@mariachimacabre said:

@jasonr86 said:

No thanks!

C'Mon Man

lol

lol

lol

He sure did!

For the record, when Microsoft drops the price, I'm all fucking in on Titanfall. But until then I'm fine with saving my money.

lol

Even though you make this line of inquiry, you still sound like D-bags on the "interwebs" when I see these post(s). You guys kinda broke Wheaton's Lawwhich is not accepted as a gamer. Still I will drop this argument because it is an opinion and besides flame wars are dumb.

(Note: I am a "true" gamer as in I like any console no matter what kind of brand in which said console is better)

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xsnipd said:

@mariachimacabre said:

@jasonr86 said:

@mariachimacabre said:

@jasonr86 said:

@xsnipd said:
    @mariachimacabre said:

@spraynardtatum said:

@mariachimacabre said:

@jasonr86 said:

No thanks!

C'Mon Man

lol

lol

lol

He sure did!

lol

Even though you make this line of inquiry, you still sound like D-bags on the "interwebs" when I see these post(s). You guys kinda broke Wheaton's Law which is not accepted as a Gamer. Still I will drop this argument because it is an opinion and besides flame wars are dumb.

(Note: I am a "true" gamer as in I like any console no matter what kind of brand in which said console is better)

Awwww.

Xsnipd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jasonr86 said:

@xsnipd said:

@mariachimacabre said:

@jasonr86 said:

@mariachimacabre said:

@jasonr86 said:

@xsnipd said:
    @mariachimacabre said:

@spraynardtatum said:

@mariachimacabre said:

@jasonr86 said:

No thanks!

C'Mon Man

lol

lol

lol

He sure did!

lol

Even though you make this line of inquiry, you still sound like D-bags on the "interwebs" when I see these post(s). You guys kinda broke Wheaton's Law which is not accepted as a Gamer. Still I will drop this argument because it is an opinion and besides flame wars are dumb.

Awwww.

Oh yea, do you know Wheaton's Law. If not....

No Caption Provided

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By JasonR86

@xsnipd said:

@jasonr86 said:

@xsnipd said:

@mariachimacabre said:

@jasonr86 said:

@mariachimacabre said:

@jasonr86 said:

@xsnipd said:
    @mariachimacabre said:

@spraynardtatum said:

@mariachimacabre said:

@jasonr86 said:

No thanks!

C'Mon Man

lol

lol

lol

He sure did!

lol

Awwww.

Oh yea, do you know Wheaton's Law. If not....

No Caption Provided

huh.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@xsnipd: You called statements of not wishing to buy an Xbox One so long as the price is inflated by a device that few people actually want to use "flamewar hate" and also used the term "PS fanboys." You are in no position to invoke Wheaton's Law.

MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xsnipd Yeah, by calmly saying "Hey we have no interest in paying more money for a thing we don't want." WE'RE the ones being dicks. Not the guy calling us fanboys out of nowhere for it. Definitely. And I guess you just chose to ignore my post where I said "When they drop the price, I'll totally get an Xbox One Entertainment System." but no that wasn't important anyway, because I am a Sony Crony to the very core.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xsnipd Yeah, by calmly saying "Hey we have no interest in paying more money for a thing we don't want." WE'RE the ones being dicks. Not the guy calling us fanboys out of nowhere for it. Definitely. And I guess you just chose to ignore my post where I said "When they drop the price, I'll totally get an Xbox One Entertainment System." but no that wasn't important anyway, because I am a Sony Crony to the very core.

Socrony.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jasonr86 said:

@mariachimacabre said:

Socrony.

Scrony

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.