Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

Xone 2 million sold

• 55 results
    AndyMc1888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

http://majornelson.com/2013/12/11/xbox-one-sells-2-million-units-in-18-days/

Microsoft responds with their spin to sony figures , ain't it great to see both consoles selling so well and knowing their is a hardware base !?

Video games are dead everyone

Jacktrote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Jacktrote

black friday

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Blu3V3nom07
    SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2009 - Video games are dead, it's all going to be tablets and phones, Sony MS and Nintendo need to get out while they still can
    2010 - Video games are dead, it's all going to be tablets and phones, Sony MS and Nintendo need to get out while they still can
    2011 - Video games are dead, it's all going to be tablets and phones, Sony MS and Nintendo need to get out while they still can
    2012 - Video games are dead, it's all going to be tablets and phones, Sony MS and Nintendo need to get out while they still can
    2013 - Video games are d.. holy shit look at these sales numbers

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By probablytuna

Great to see both consoles are doing exceptionally well. Can't wait for the lineup in 2014.

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By shinjin977

These numbers don't mean anything for either consoles. This just shows they were able to supply really well. Now lets talk about this same time next year.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

They were always going to sell a few million, the question is whether they can still get to 20, 30, 40m...

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jimbo said:

They were always going to sell a few million, the question is whether they can still get to 20, 30, 40m...

You need a huge starter base for that so that developers are actually want to create games for your system. Like Kojima said. MGSV will hit when there are a lot of consoles out there and as long this is not the case they will hold it back. That is why it is so great that these machines sell so well.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

18 Days? Who gives a shit about 18 days? 24 hours is the interesting number. After that I don't really give a shit until the end of a year.

@somejerk said:

"..but sales numbers are not everything. Video games could still be dead, it's all going to be tablets and phones, Sony MS and Nintendo need to get out while they still can."

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah good news for both definitely great!

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@somejerk said:

2009 - Video games are dead, it's all going to be tablets and phones, Sony MS and Nintendo need to get out while they still can

2010 - Video games are dead, it's all going to be tablets and phones, Sony MS and Nintendo need to get out while they still can

2011 - Video games are dead, it's all going to be tablets and phones, Sony MS and Nintendo need to get out while they still can

2012 - Video games are dead, it's all going to be tablets and phones, Sony MS and Nintendo need to get out while they still can

None of those kinds of statements can be made until we are a couple years into the new generation. Also, it's consoles, not video games.

Avatar image for roarimadinosaur
    RoarImaDinosaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's a nice number. Microsoft should feel pretty good about it.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#13  Edited By GERALTITUDE

Great. Yawn. Let's get back to games now.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

I hope everyone takes note that Microsoft's three prong strategy of Kinect + Blast Processing + Mode 7 beats out Sony's strategy of, Hey download times don't suck anymore.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm confused. I thought that NeoGAF proved beyond any possibility of disagreement that the XB1 was DOA? I mean, if I didn't know any better, I might even be fooled into thinking that the people having fun with their new consoles and games don't even know or care how many P's their game has.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

... I might even be fooled into thinking that the people having fun with their new consoles and games don't even know or care how many P's their game has.

Celebrating the ignorance of the general gaming public isn't necessarily a good thing.

LucidDreams117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

http://kotaku.com/microsoft-sells-two-million-xbox-ones-which-is-good-ne-1481088998

I think Kotaku put it best.

"Microsoft announced this morning that they've sold two million shiny new Xbox Ones, and if your immediate reaction, dear Kotaku reader, is to say something about the PS4, please stop.

Forget asinine console wars and nonsensical company loyalties for a second—both current-next-gen consoles are selling quite well, and that's good news for anyone who likes video games at all. As the installed base—that's marketing talk for "number of people"—for each console grows, big third-party publishers will feel more comfortable greenlighting next-gen games. Small developers will have the flexibility to experiment more. Development studios won't have to worry as much about going "cross-gen" and releasing their games for both current- and next-gen systems, which means we'll see more games that really take advantage of what these new machines can do."

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thehbk: Cut the console wars bullshit out please.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshwent: That's (intentionally?) missing the point more than a little bit.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By EXTomar

@jimbo said:

Yeah. Unless there was a defect, both Sony and Microsoft were going to sell through their initial stock of millions so this is good news. This only shows people don't believe the XBox One has cooties or something else.

rangers517

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sony announced 2 mil+ like a week ago and the PS4 seems to be way more in demand. That's good for gamers that people still want the better game playing machine. I'll take better looking games, better load times, better install times, etc over being able to change my tv channel 3 seconds faster.

And this doesn't really mean much for MS because they only really have a chance in the US. The PS4 sales will keep going because they still haven't even supplied the rest of the world well yet, where they will dominate like always.

ericdrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ericdrum

Sony announced 2 mil+ like a week ago and the PS4 seems to be way more in demand. That's good for gamers that people still want the better game playing machine. I'll take better looking games, better load times, better install times, etc over being able to change my tv channel 3 seconds faster.

And this doesn't really mean much for MS because they only really have a chance in the US. The PS4 sales will keep going because they still haven't even supplied the rest of the world well yet, where they will dominate like always.

Despite the previous posts in the thread, we still get this kind of stuff.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

@mariachimacabre said:

Damn dude. I am sorry I hurt your feelings. Maybe I should explain that my comment to this news was just a joke. Please note the references to previous consoles wars. Specifically SNES vs Genesis. Blast Processing being part of Sega's campaign and Mode 7 being something the SNES could do. Or that the PS4 offers more than just improvements to downloads. But I am sure you probably don't have such humor in your country of origin. Hey, if you ever see a comment from me, I would be more than glad to explain the joke to you. Have a nice day.

BRich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BRich

@rangers517: You're a person?

PS4 has launched in 3 times as many countries by the way. Not that this number has any meaning at all here.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Good for Microsoft and the gaming industry, but pretty much pointless for either Sony or Microsoft to keep updating us beyond the one-million mark.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27  Edited By spraynardtatum

The NSA is going to need to start hiring more people to monitor Xbox Live if this keeps up.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By DonPixel

@spraynardtatum said:

The NSA is going to need to start hiring more people to monitor Xbox Live if this keeps up.

yeah because your social scurity number, license record, credit record, paypal account, steam, psn, facebook, google+, twitter, every single laptop, tablet, and cell phone in the world with a front camera are inmune to NSA right? NSA is clearly a problem just for xbox one.

You fanboys fall for ignorant fear mongerism quite easily, whatever suits your self bias-confirmation efforts.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@thehbk said:

@mariachimacabre said:

Damn dude. I am sorry I hurt your feelings. Maybe I should explain that my comment to this news was just a joke. Please note the references to previous consoles wars. Specifically SNES vs Genesis. Blast Processing being part of Sega's campaign and Mode 7 being something the SNES could do. Or that the PS4 offers more than just improvements to downloads. But I am sure you probably don't have such humor in your country of origin. Hey, if you ever see a comment from me, I would be more than glad to explain the joke to you. Have a nice day.

Eh. I've had a disturbingly shitty couple of days so my sense of humor may be on life support. I apologize.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

Xbox One is dead you guys, I'm going to throw mine out a window right now!

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@brich said:

@rangers517: You're a person?

PS4 has launched in 3 times as many countries by the way. Not that this number has any meaning at all here.

Doesn't really matter in the long run. When Microsoft boasted of their 1 million sales, they were in more countries than the PS4. With Microsoft delaying even longer in Nordic and other countries, the gap could continue to grow. If the gap is large by the end of 2014, trying to make excuses that the Xbox One just launched in those regions won't matter to publishers or the public perception.

Both consoles are set to sell enough to be supported by third-party developers. Higher sales for the PS4 shouldn't be relevant to those who bought Xbox Ones, other than the possibility that the former may become the lead console for multiplatform development.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't see what point I'm missing. Huge XBox sales are great like others have said here, because Publishers will be more confident to greenlight more games.

But the flipside is that the XOne was going to sell a lot anyway, because the vast majority of people never even heard (or cared) about the shitty DRM stuff or anything else crazy MS has attempted in the past few months. They had a 360, they'll get an XOne. But that's potentially dangerous for the rest of us... the minority who cares.

MS changed a lot of their terrible policies because of the competition from Sony, the bad press and yes, the fan outcry. So when you make it seem like a positive that no one cares about a potentially minor but real difference like resolution, you're perpetuating how a company can still get away with shit.

To be clear, I don't have either console, and have no pony in this race. I'm thrilled that they're selling a bunch. But we shouldn't celebrate that part of how they're getting there is just people buying a thing without knowing about it.

(to be clearer, of course, many Sony fans must have bought the PS4 in the same way. I'm not making a "console wars" point. Just a "people inadvertently supporting policies they don't care about by buying a thing" point.)

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshwent said:

@cloudymusic said:

MS changed a lot of their terrible policies because of the competition from Sony, the bad press and yes, the fan outcry. So when you make it seem like a positive that no one cares about a potentially minor but real difference like resolution, you're perpetuating how a company can still get away with shit.

So people still think giving money to the ACTUAL MAKERS of the game instead of a scummy retail chain is a good policy. I have 340 games on steam, was looking forward for consoles to embrace digital model.

For a group of people who choose a tech base hobby, lots of gamers are quite reactionary.

Budwyzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Budwyzer

Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare is going to have local coop on the XBone only.... Sole reason that I bought one.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donpixel said:

So people still think giving money to the ACTUAL MAKERS of the game instead of a scummy retail chain is a good policy. I have 340 games on steam, was looking forward for consoles to embrace digital model.

For a group of people who choose a tech base hobby, lots of gamers are quite reactionary.

I'm not trying to derail this thread, but you're responding to something I never said. Consoles have embraced digital. On both, all of their 1st party games were downloadable. MS changing their DRM didn't effect that at all.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donpixel said:

@spraynardtatum said:

yeah because your social scurity number, license record, credit record, paypal account, steam, psn, facebook, google+, twitter, every single laptop, tablet, and cell phone in the world with a front camera are inmune to NSA right? NSA is clearly a problem just for xbox one.

You fanboys fall for ignorant fear mongerism quite easily, whatever suits your self bias-confirmation efforts.

I'm aware that everything else is monitored. It's all horrible. Microsoft isn't the only company with horrible terms and conditions/encryption that don't protect their customers from this kind of stuff. They just released that Xbox Live is being tracked (private chat, text messages, etc) so I think they'll probably need to hire some more people because the Xbox One is so popular.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I simply can't be happy unless someone else isn't so I take this news with a grain of salt, that I can hopefully put in someones eye and feel a lot better.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thehbk said:

I hope everyone takes note that Microsoft's three prong strategy of Kinect + Blast Processing + Mode 7 beats out Sony's strategy of, Hey download times don't suck anymore.

That Kinect is the biggest rip off since Movie Theater Popcorn and Printer Ink

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Dance Central covered the cost of my original Kinect and then some. I have no doubts that Harmonix will justify the money I probably end up spending on the next one - pending said announcement of course.

SongWriter1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And not a shit was given

kpaadet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xalienxgreyx said:

Dance Central covered the cost of my original Kinect and then some. I have no doubts that Harmonix will justify the money I probably end up spending on the next one - pending said announcement of course.

I feel like your first sentence should end with "said no one ever", but hey if you really like dancing games more power to you.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kpaadet: You know what makes it even more egregious? Dance Central 1,2 and 3 only factored into my $150 dollar Kinect bill while currently I'm considering whether the next one will cover my entire $600 console purchase.

ericdrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@professoress: How dare you decide how much money is worth spending on something you enjoy!? You sir, are a menace to society.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@donpixel said:

@spraynardtatum said:

Please leave this website. This is a site for people who understand jokes and are not crazy.

ryanwhom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshwent said:

@cloudymusic said:

... I might even be fooled into thinking that the people having fun with their new consoles and games don't even know or care how many P's their game has.

Celebrating the ignorance of the general gaming public isn't necessarily a good thing.

No Caption Provided

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ericdrum said:

@professoress: How dare you decide how much money is worth spending on something you enjoy!? You sir, are a menace to society.

I know, I know. I must admit I do feel a little bad about ruining it for everyone else - even though I'm not exactly sure who that works.

I should talk to the Call of Duty guys, they probably know I'm feeling. Apparently they've been ruining everyone else's fun for years now.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ericdrum said:

I know, I know. I must admit I do feel a little bad about ruining it for everyone else - even though I'm not exactly sure who that works.

I should talk to the Call of Duty guys, they probably know I'm feeling. Apparently they've been ruining everyone else's fun for years now.

You deserve a follow. You're one of the most level-headed people I've seen on this website.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By spraynardtatum
    ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

I simply can't be happy unless someone else isn't so I take this news with a grain of salt, that I can hopefully put in someones eye and feel a lot better.

no u

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.