Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox

Platform »

Microsoft's first home gaming system and one of the first to include an internal hard drive and built in online play capability. It was considered the first console to have fully supported meaningful online play.

The Original Xbox: I am in Love

judeluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By judeluke

My kids needed a DVD player, so I went to a thrift store and there was an original Xbox with everything for 28.99. I could not pass it up. I still have some games (mostly backwards compatible). I have been playing some Jade Empire and it is just plain awesome. I went through my catalog of games, and then purchased a few online as well as some component cables, and I must say that I forgot what great games the Xbox has. It is too bad that it only lasted four years. Sega and MS made some sweet games. I ordered Otogi, Panzer Dragoon, Battlefront, and some others I have wanted to try for some time like Demon Stone, Dungeons and Dragons, (Bethesda's) Pirates of the Caribbean and others. I found my Knights games and Advent Rising and Doom 3, and I have not played the latter two. Kind of excited, like a kid in a candy store.

The system is also a lot quieter than my 360 too. It had its drawbacks but I have been spending far more time with it than my 360/PS3 as of late.

I just thought I would share my excitement, and the fact that the Xbox has kind of gone down in history as underrated. I still remember playing a demo of Halo back in 01 and being blown away. I got an advance on my student loan and went into Game Crazy to purchase one a week after its debut. Halo changed how I felt about FPS's and Knights about RPG's. Overall it is a great system and I am glad that I have been re-introduced six years later.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By Hizang

Never owned the original Xbox, it does have a remake of Conkers Bad Fur Day though.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Sooty

It was a superb machine and had fantastic online games such as Ghost Recon, Midtown Madness, Halo 2 and Rainbow Six 3. Some of the most fun I've had on multiplayer.

Shame to say the 360 hasn't been able to recreate any of that for me. More important, where the hell is the modern Midtown Madness game?! Cops and robbers was insanely fun.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

Halo, Jade Empire, Doom 3 and Ninja Gaiden were about as much as the xbox ever did imo

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Phatmac

You guys should totally play Blinx! Xbox Classic!

judeluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By judeluke

I have heard Bad Fur Day is pretty good. But is pretty spendy like the Baldur's Gate games and Battlefront II. But eventually I might bite and purchase them. If you have the means: I got one and about 15 games for about 100 bucks total.

As for the 360 I have never played Online! I used to love couch co-op with Twisted Metal and nWo/WCW Revenge. I did find WWE RAW 2 for my Xbox with Goldberg and Scott Steiner in it, so I am stoked.

WickedFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By WickedFather

Get Metal Arms: Glitch in the System and do it now. Rallisport Challange 1 + 2 are really good and 2 has a different feel.

I did what you're doing now with a PS2 I got last year. The games are so much better than the 360. I thought my 360 had red ringed a few months ago after a power cut and I was actually happy because it meant I'd have the guilt of not using my xbox live time removed. Sadly it was fine.

I've got a sealed copy of Jade Empire that I'm going to ebay. I should have done it ages ago.

judeluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By judeluke

@xaLieNxGrEyx: I disagree. I am not going to start a console war but Knights of the Old Republic was great, Jade Empire, Fable, Jedi Outcast and Academy, Morrowind, and Demon Stone, Advent Rising, Panzer Dragoon, Otogi, Shenmue, Sudeki, Frza and so many more. Look up its games, and you will be surprised how many great games there are.

judeluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By judeluke

@Wicked Father. I will check that out. I might get a PS2 again but probably won't. I love my 360 but this is a nice change of pace though I am replaying ME1 (2-3 too) and playing InFamous 2. I am not good at multitasking games but I am trying.

As for Blinx, for my kids, I might. I got them Sonic Heroes as they love Sonic.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

You're prob right the PS2 kept my xbox attention limited

Bold keeps attacking me & I cant remove it

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#11  Edited By Claude

I loved my Xbox. I played some great games on it. Playing a game like Vice City and having your own music playing was priceless. I'm a pretty big sports fan and all the sports games looked better on the Xbox as well. Very cool system indeed.

judeluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By judeluke

@xaLieNxGrEyx: No worries! You should check it out. But everything is subjective, I always preferred my Xbox to my PS2. I just fell in love with the controller. But I did enjoy both. If you have a 360 download Jade Empire, it is 15 bucks and it is amazing if you like Bioware stuff.

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By devilzrule27

I had an xbox exclusively for KOTOR, Halo, Jade Empire, and Morrowind. Also sports games only cause they used to eat up all the space on my PS2 memory cards and the xbox obviously had the hard drive. That's all I ever played on it.

Double0hFor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By Double0hFor

FUSION FRENZY ANYONE?!

judeluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By judeluke

@devilzrule27: It does seem that the Xbox got lost in the shuffle but it did have the definitive edition of Silent Hill and Onimusha. Also, Ninja Gaiden, Half Life, Deus Ex and Thief. It brought the WRPG to consoles and made online gaming a staple with Halo, Mechwarrior and Rainbow Six. The Splinter Cell games and Crimson Skies were great games too.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By PeasantAbuse

Mercenaries is so much fun. I love that game.

Sidekick-Trio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Sidekick-Trio

Oh shit! I had forgotten all about Otogi, that game was brilliant and highly under appreciated. Great, now I need to dig out my xbox and play it.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By Raven10

The Xbox had a ton of great games. I would say the 360 has had more, but it has had almost double the lifespan of the original Xbox. Jade Empire had a bad ending (I guessed the twist about five minutes into the game) but other than that it was pretty beast. Definitely a very underrated Bioware game. Otogi I could never beat. I probably just sucked at it but I could never get past this one part. Halos were good, and Crimson Skies. Conker Live and Reloaded was also great as was Ninja Gaiden. I'll second Metal Arms as a game you should try out. It was a brilliant little gem that no one played. It was on the PS2 and GC as well I believe but was best on Xbox. Doom 3 and Morrowind were better on PC but everything else people have listed was great.

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By devilzrule27

@judeluke said:

@devilzrule27: It does seem that the Xbox got lost in the shuffle but it did have the definitive edition of Silent Hill and Onimusha. Also, Ninja Gaiden, Half Life, Deus Ex and Thief. It brought the WRPG to consoles and made online gaming a staple with Halo, Mechwarrior and Rainbow Six. The Splinter Cell games and Crimson Skies were great games too.

Those were all better PC games and thats where most people played them. Not to say the box didn't have it's own great games, cause it certainly did but the biggest problem with the system that most of it's best games were available somewhere else, and in a lot of cases were better somewhere else(PC). The system was always just kind of there but never necessary. They fixed that with the 360 by keeping it's biggest franchises, Halo Gears ect, on the console and leaving a gap of time between releases on the PC, if there even was to be one.

As for online gaming SOCOM was huge on the PS2. And SOCOM 2 was even bigger. Both came out before Halo 2, which took online gaming to the next level, but the point is that online gaming on consoles was coming to the forefront with or without the xbox.

Also a game I forgot I owned was Fable. So make it 7 games I owned, haha.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.