Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xenoblade Chronicles X

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Apr 29, 2015

Xenoblade Chronicles X from MonolithSoft is an open-world action RPG about humanity escaping the destruction of Earth and fighting off their attackers with transforming mechs on an alien planet. It is the spiritual successor to Xenoblade Chronicles.

Can anyone reccomend Xenoblade Chronicles X?

Junkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

My favorite thing to do in games is explore and delve into the unknown. Its a big draw for the Elder Scrolls games for me and many other RPGs.

Right now I'm torn between getting Skyrim for ps4 (Something I'm reticent about because I've already ~explored~ it years ago) Or trying something new in Xenoblade. From what I've seen in quick looks and gameplay vids the game looks absolutely breath taking with its exploration - but one big warning sign I've seen crop up is that its basically a single player MMO?

I hate MMOs. I hate grinding just for the sake of grinding. Killing X animals just so I can unlock another quest to Kill X animals again.

Is this game Skyrim or is it Guildwars?

Thanks for your time!

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By BabyChooChoo

As much as I like XCX, I think most of the sidequests are shit and getting around can often be a headache until you get your Mobile Suit Skell because, until then, you'll spend a lot of time mumbling to yourself "how the fuck do I get up there?" However, once you do get your mech, I think there's a lot of fun to be had and a lot of cool stuff to see because essentially you can go wherever you want now.

That said, I would advise against it because there's a lot of shit that will fuck you up, but in a way, I think that's part of the fun. It's a cool world with some inventive wildlife and sometimes you just wanna know "I wonder what this thing does?"

Honestly, from what you said, I don't think this game is for you. in my opinion, it definitely fits more into the WoW/Guild Wars camp in terms of quests. Kill these monsters, plant this probe, find these items, discover this cave, etc etc. The vast majority of interesting quests are part of the main story and, although I've never bothered with them, I've heard getting to a lot of the really cool endgame world bosses (I forget their in-universe identifier) requires quite a bit of grinding.

ToySoldier83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

XBC is not Elder Scrolls in scope, it is definitely more MMO, especially on how it does the combat and side quest. The game's storyline is a times put on hold and you cannot progress until you do a side quest that requires "killing X or a number of X or it wants you to explore this percentage of the map etc". Yes the game is breathtaking at times and at others it is scary as it does not separate the low level enemies from the ones that you can not take on until pretty much end game, but this is all in combination of what I said above in that this is a single player MMO. So yes it is more Guild Wars than Skyrim.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@junkerman:

I hate MMOs. I hate grinding just for the sake of grinding. Killing X animals just so I can unlock another quest to Kill X animals again.

If this is the case then DO NOT BUY THIS GAME. There are several points in the game where grinding is necessary.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
    deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It does have it's fair share of grinding.

But god damn do I think XBX is one of the best games I played last year. The world is SO amazing to explore. It truly feels alien and unknown, and I had so much fun with it. 200+ hours and I loved all of it.

Junkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

Darn, thats a bummer to hear but thanks for all the quick responses!

I guess the last thing I'd like to clarify would be does the exploration have any real thrill or meat to it other then just checking off a % point on your goal to 100% the game? In games like Morrowind or the Witcher for example you're often stumbling upon a little mystery, or strange happening or creepy note... they often range in quality from meh to really well done but there is atleast a tangible reward at the end of most adventurers. Does this game have anything like that? Or is it just "Congratulations you've been to the top of Mount X, now go to Cave B!"?

Vanek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It doesn't sound like it's a game for you. I gave up on it because of the grinding and bullshit way it blocks progression. I mean yes, it is a great world to explore, but so much of that is ruined by the mechanics and the story isn't worth all the forced grinding in the end.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

@junkerman: From what I remember? Nope. The only thing to really discover are bosses and, sadly, most of them are either idle or roam around a small area. There is a weather and time system though and some will only appear under specific conditions. Other than that, I can't recall any sorta organic quests like you would find in an Elder Scrolls.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.