Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Yakuza 3

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Feb 26, 2009

Sega's Yakuza series moves to the PlayStation 3 for its third installment, bringing all the comically brutal beat-em-up gameplay, Japanese RPG storytelling and various mini-games with it.

Yakuza 3 available exclusively on PS3 in 2010!

PhilESkyline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By PhilESkyline

Hey everyone! Aaron Webber here again – some of you may remember me from the Valkyria Chronicles 2 blog post a while back. This time, I have the privilege of bringing you guys some more exciting news – news that I know many of you are about to be extremely excited about!

After months upon months of requests, a myriad of rumors, and even full campaigns that speak to the unparalleled dedication of the fans, we can finally speak those words that all of you have been waiting anxiously to hear. So, here they are:

Yakuza 3 is coming West.

Featuring the original all-star Japanese voice cast and subtitled in English, Yakuza 3 chronicles the next steps in the life of the man once known as the Dragon of Dojima – Kiryu Kazuma.

As Kiryu works to begin a new life running an orphanage in Okinawa, the world he left behind in Tokyo also moves quickly. When the chairman of the Tojo clan is shot and the rivalry between the families plunges the city into chaos, even Okinawa is not far enough away to escape the grasp of the mysterious forces pulling the strings.

Then, when one of Kiryu’s close friends in Okinawa is found with multiple gunshot wounds to the chest, things take a new turn for the worse. Driven to protect his friends, the Dragon is alive again – Kiryu returns to the dark city of Kamurocho, and will stop at nothing to find those responsible and give them his own taste of justice.

Releasing March 2010, the epic Yakuza saga continues, exclusively on the Playstation 3.

Last but not least, we’d like to give special thanks to you guys, the Yakuza fans! Your passion and dedication has helped make this a reality, and we’d like to extend that thanks by letting you submit questions to the Yakuza 3 development team in Japan! To do so, just put *Dev Question* before typing your question here in the comments.

Until next time – we’ll have lots more news and in-depth looks at what Yakuza 3 has to offer very soon. Spread the word – Yakuza 3 is coming!

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/12/yakuza-3-marches-west/
    Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Cerza

Fuck yes!!! It's about time!

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Linkyshinks

Nagoshi had said as much last week during the Professor Layton premiere, it's great to have confirmation though. I hope it does well and the fourth game gets announced down the line also.

essaregee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By essaregee

Woot! Best news I heard all day!

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Whisperkill

This sounds extremely promotional, who do you work for?
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By HandsomeDead

Sorry SEGA. Burn me once, shame on you, burn me twice, shame on me.

essaregee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By essaregee

GiantBomb should hire him

LaszloKovacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8  Edited By LaszloKovacs

I am absolutely shocked somebody funded an American release for this game.

I mean it's awesome, but I never thought it would happen.

PhilESkyline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By PhilESkyline
    @Whisperkill said:
    " This sounds extremely promotional, who do you work for? "
    I work for no one. I'm following Playstation on twitter. This news just made my week so I thought I would share.
    penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By penguindust

Awesome!  Add another game to my 2010 list of buys.  March 2010, hmm...isn't that when Final Fantasy XIII drops, as well?  Another hectic month, just like this past November.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By donchipotle

Oh man I am so excited all of a sudden

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By get2sammyb
    @Whisperkill said:

He posted what was written on the Playstation Blog, which is a promotional (/very informative for Playstation fans) blog. What do you expect?

Aside, absolutely fantastic news. Thanks SEGA. Thanks so much.

Hopefully they'll be a bit quicker with Yakuza 4. Don't want English voice actors, subtitles are absolutely fine!

EDIT: March is a shitty release month for them though. April/January would have been better. (I'd prefer January).

Absolutely brilliant news though.
    PhilESkyline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By PhilESkyline
    @get2sammyb said:
    " @Whisperkill said:
    He posted what was written on the Playstation Blog, which is a promotional (/very informative for Playstation fans) blog. What do you expect?  Aside, absolutely fantastic news. Thanks SEGA. Thanks so much.  Hopefully they'll be a bit quicker with Yakuza 4. Don't want English voice actors, subtitles are absolutely fine! "
    I've been holding out on a PS3 as of yet but this is really what I've been looking for since Shenmue isn't coming out anytime soon.

But...with this announcement maybe they would be willing to take a risk and put out Shenmue 3. Maybe.. >_>
    webby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By webby

Yes, im glad I never got round to importing it now.  
    Great news. 

Edit: Anyone think its worth importing "Ryu ga Gotoku Kenzan!" The one set in feudal Japan.

IceOrb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By IceOrb

Is there a chance that Ryū ga Gotoku Kenzan! will make it's way over at some point?

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By get2sammyb
    @PhilESkyline said:
    " @get2sammyb said:
    " @Whisperkill said:
    He posted what was written on the Playstation Blog, which is a promotional (/very informative for Playstation fans) blog. What do you expect?  Aside, absolutely fantastic news. Thanks SEGA. Thanks so much.  Hopefully they'll be a bit quicker with Yakuza 4. Don't want English voice actors, subtitles are absolutely fine! "
    I've been holding out on a PS3 as of yet but this is really what I've been looking for since Shenmue isn't coming out anytime soon.   But...with this announcement maybe they would be willing to take a risk and put out Shenmue 3. Maybe.. >_> "
    I wish.... I WISH. We can always pray for Shenmue 3 right?

Yakuza 3 will do very nicely for now, mind! :)
    dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By dbz1995

Wait...the dragon of Dojima? OMGOMGOMG

Persona of Hierophant arcana?

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By get2sammyb

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Good news, but this is not going to sell.
    Especially with a March release date..

PhilESkyline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By PhilESkyline
    @get2sammyb said:
    " @PhilESkyline said:
    " @get2sammyb said:
    " @Whisperkill said:
    I've been holding out on a PS3 as of yet but this is really what I've been looking for since Shenmue isn't coming out anytime soon.   But...with this announcement maybe they would be willing to take a risk and put out Shenmue 3. Maybe.. >_> "
    I wish.... I WISH. We can always pray for Shenmue 3 right?  Yakuza 3 will do very nicely for now, mind! :) "
    Yes we can. I also wish not to have English actors. I will take subtitles any day. All of my anime watching has conditioned me to be able to read and following the action without any problems lol. 

Plus Sony would be helping children read more since this game is pretty lengthy I'm sure lol.
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By trophyhunter

about damn time

PhilESkyline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By PhilESkyline
    @WinterSnowblind said:

" Good news, but this is not going to sell. Especially with a March release date.. "

Oh ye of little faith...
    PhilESkyline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By PhilESkyline
    @get2sammyb said:

"

"
    The nail in the coffin baby!
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By get2sammyb
    @WinterSnowblind said:

" Good news, but this is not going to sell. Especially with a March release date.. "

It's already done 500,000 in Japan though, which is probably a return on their investment-ish right? I mean, how much does it cost to stick in some subtitles and translate it all. I'm not belittling the task, I'm sure it's expensive, but I mean, I'm just saying, even if it only does like, what, 300,000 in the West - surely that'd be enough?

I doubt it's shooting for huge figures. Although I do agree, March is a silly time for them.
    PhilESkyline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By PhilESkyline
    @get2sammyb said:
    " @WinterSnowblind said:

It's already done 500,000 in Japan though, which is probably a return on their investment-ish right? I mean, how much does it cost to stick in some subtitles and translate it all. I'm not belittling the task, I'm sure it's expensive, but I mean, I'm just saying, even if it only does like, what, 300,000 in the West - surely that'd be enough?  I doubt it's shooting for huge figures. Although I do agree, March is a silly time for them. "
    Promotion for this will be a breeze. Sony might even throw in some of those custom PS3 designs they came up with.
    Slippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Slippy

March 2010... month of the forever.

I am already buying Battlefield: Bad Company 2, God of War 3, Final Fantasy XIII, and importing GT5... and I will gladly add this to the list. It took a while, but it's finally coming. Fuck YES.

Brake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#27  Edited By Brake

Now why would you try to compete with a cult favorite PS3 exclusive against one of the biggest PS3 exclusives?

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#28  Edited By Snail

Yakuza is highly overrated, but you'll learn that soon enough.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#29  Edited By Soap

Weird, I should be happy and excited but I feel more angry.... It's about fucking time!

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#30  Edited By vidiot

I would personally like to see some type of rerelease of the first two games, either in some PS3 compilation ( God of War Collection) or as a downloadable release. 

The first game was hindered by dubbing that was all over the place, the second game was quietly released and not a ton of people know it actually existed. This franchise needs a second chance to say the least.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#31  Edited By OllyOxenFree

YES YES YES YES YES YES!!!

I mean...I'm happy :)

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Pibo47
    @Snail said:
    " Yakuza is highly overrated, but you'll learn that soon enough"  
    Agreed. I love me some god of war collection tho...mmm mmm good.
    AndrooD2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#33  Edited By AndrooD2

Anyone play the Japanese version? I haven't played any of the previous Yakuza titles, but that long trailer for this game that came out about a year or so ago made it look amazing. Looking at some gameplay videos it looks like a lot of martial arts-ish fighting. Is there more to it? Or do you just walk around and kick the crap out of people?

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By get2sammyb
    @ChineseTea said:
    " Now why would you try to compete with a cult favorite PS3 exclusive against one of the biggest PS3 exclusives? "
    I'm lost? Wha-? It's hardly competing with God Of War III is it?

Q1/Q2 is stacked though. I do agree. I mean PS3 exclusives alone it's: MAG, Heavy Rain, White Knight Chronicles, Yakuza 3, God Of War III and, maybe, Gran Turismo 5. I know it's a similar story for XBOX aswell. And it's not like third-party titles are shallow either (not forgetting the small matter of FFXIII) - there are tons of them.

I dunno why people were praising all the holiday delays. The start of next year is even worse. It's crazy. Something has to give.
    Slippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Slippy
    @get2sammyb said:
    " @ChineseTea said:
    " Now why would you try to compete with a cult favorite PS3 exclusive against one of the biggest PS3 exclusives? "
    I'm lost? Wha-? It's hardly competing with God Of War III is it?  Q1/Q2 is stacked though. I do agree. I mean PS3 exclusives alone it's: MAG, Heavy Rain, White Knight Chronicles, Yakuza 3, God Of War III and, maybe, Gran Turismo 5. I know it's a similar story for XBOX aswell. And it's not like third-party titles are shallow either (not forgetting the small matter of FFXIII) - there are tons of them.  I dunno why people were praising all the holiday delays. The start of next year is even worse. It's crazy. Something has to give. "

I think Xbox users are in a better position - they have less coming out next year, but enough to keep them interested and not so much that they are drowing in it. In my opinion, the game which should really be delayed is MAG. From the beta it needs a lot of polishing to get it up to Bad Company 2's standards. If I was in charge of Sony, and God help me I will be some day, I would shift WKC forward to late January, give Heavy Rain February all to itself, and release God of War III in early April to avoid FFXIII in March and let Yakuza 3 breathe a little. GT5 will probably come in mid-May, and if I had my way, MAG wouldn't see daylight until early June - tell Zipper to just bundle the DLC with the game and polish the hell out of it till it runs at locked 30fps with no lag. If Sony did this, they would have heavy hitters for 5 months straight.
    Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#36  Edited By Luke

FUCK YES @ this news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Brake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Brake
    @get2sammyb said:
    " I'm lost? Wha-? It's hardly competing with God Of War III is it?
    Poor choice of words on my part. But people being hyped for GoW are propably not gonna give a crazy Japanese game a second look when they're coming out so close to each other.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Diamond
    @Snail said:

Yakuza is highly overrated, but you'll learn that soon enough.

How can it be overrated?  Almost noone talks about it.  Anyways I imported Ryu ga Gotoku 3 (and Kenzan) and it's a pretty neat game.

I will eventually get this subtitled version because my Japanese comprehension isn't great by any means.

@AndrooD2 said:
    Is there more to it? Or do you just walk around and kick the crap out of people?
    There's tons of dialog, lots of minigames (some really great ones actually), an item / equip system, lots of very minor puzzle solving and exploration, and of course a lot of fights.  Despite people always disagreeing, it is more similar to Shenmue than any other game series, if you've played Shenmue.  Exploration is somewhat downplayed and the theme is very different though.
    chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

I never played the first two, but I'm very interested in trying out Yakuza 3. Hopefully the first two entries in the series will get some sort of PSN release soon so that I can catch up.

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Godwind

The important part is that it is exclusive to the PS3.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#41  Edited By Red12b

Whoooo HOOOOO. 

Fuck yeah, you are the bringer of ashum news kung fu. 

You win one internet cookie!

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By EvilTwin

I might have to buy Yakuza 1 and 2 now that I know Sega is still somewhat committed to releasing the other ones outside of Japan.  Either way, awesome news.  

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#43  Edited By Dolphin_Butter
    @PenguinDust said:
    " Awesome!  Add another game to my 2010 list of buys.  March 2010, hmm...isn't that when Final Fantasy XIII drops, as well?  Another hectic month, just like this past November. "
    Seriously. It's like Sega doesn't want people to buy this game.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By xyzygy

What are these games like? Any similarities to Shenmue? It just looks kinda Shenmue-y. Is it like open world?

Avatar image for equal_opportunity_destroyer497
    Equal_Opportunity_Destroyer497

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xyzygy: Action-RPG is the category Yakuza best fits into. The only Shenmue-y aspect is the fighting system but that's really the only similarity gameplay-wise. Also, Yakuza isn't open world in the sense that GTA is. It's structured more like a RPG, with defined areas to mess around in. 

Anyway, I can't wait for part 3. Yakuza 2 was much improved over the first, so I can't wait to see what they've done this time around, plus it looks freakin' phenomenal. I'm also really glad Sega's using subtitles instead of recording English voice-overs. It really helps make the experience that much more rich and immersive.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Diamond
    @Equal_Opportunity_Destroyer497 said:
    @xyzygy: Action-RPG is the category Yakuza best fits into. The only Shenmue-y aspect is the fighting system but that's really the only similarity gameplay-wise. Also, Yakuza isn't open world in the sense that GTA is. It's structured more like a RPG, with defined areas to mess around in. 
    In other words, it's structured like Shenmue.  You can go in some shops and buildings, and are free to move around areas but it's not open in all directions like a GTA game.
    Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Dan_CiTi

Great news. I hope the marketing is there for this game, because it is great and much better than the previous games. Also, it isn't mundane like Shenmue is, it is more of an action game.

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By jeffgoldblum
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " Nagoshi had said as much last week during the Professor Layton premiere, it's great to have confirmation though. I hope it does well and the fourth game gets announced down the line also. "
    Professor Layton premiere? The movie? or another game?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.