Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Yakuza 5

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Dec 06, 2012

The fifth entry in the Ryu ga Gotoku/Yakuza series, overhauled in terms of style and game mechanics.

Game Is Out.

• 85 results
    Ericjasonwade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@zeik: @mortuss_zero:

Okay cool. I'll try playing Yakuza 4 later this week in preparation for this upcoming release. If those recap videos are enough than I should be good. It would probably be hard going back to anything before Yakuza 4 because of it might not holding up as well. Although I am playing that Vice City PS4 version right now and I'm having more fun now than I have had with a game in a while.

Hampe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@getz said:

Essence of Face Grating. That is all.

Yes! I just got this and wow, it's just pure joy!

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Holy crap! The end of chapter 2 part 2 might be moment of the year!

A fistfight with a giant black bear in the middle of the woods.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

@odinsmana: JUST got to this part myself, and I agree. Total insanity.

cerberus3dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man that intro was slow. It's beginning to pick up now that I'm in the open world. I'm starting to see some of that intrigue and mystery that I've always enjoyed from these games.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man that intro was slow.

Oh, so you mean this a Yakuza game, lol

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

idk why but i thought this was a ps4 game

Twinblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Twinblade

Really enjoying it so far. The taxi missions in particular are way more fun than I thought they would be.

Hope GB covers the game in one form or another.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I really wish I could buy this game and somehow play it on my PS4. My PS3 is super old, loud as a turbine and quite frankly I don't have room for it on my shelf anymore. I know it's a first world problem to complain about having to go through the "trouble" of connecting a second console to play a videogame but man... it's tough.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Shindig

@zella said:

Playing it now and oh man it is good. Played a bit of 4 earlier today and 5 feels like a big improvement in just gameplay. Boy having to go through the PS3's wonderful process of downloading and installing the game was a joy though.

Already had a day of failures. The state of it.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, the hunting side missions are really fun! I didn't expect that from a Yakuza game.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played a few hours of the first Yakuza when it came out and about 15 hours of 4. Can I just jump into 5? It looks really good but I don't want to go and play all of the other games.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pompouspizza: Yeah, if you have a free hour or so, the games always have really good recap "movies" of the previous entries included.

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really enjoying it so far. The taxi missions in particular are way more fun than I thought they would be.

I've only done the first one which was tutorialized, but I liked how relaxing it was, making chit-chat, and using my turn signals. I also liked smoking that fool on the highway with my taxi while hammering on the taunt button. Does it get much crazier later on? I'm not too optimistic about the car controls if it gets really difficult.

Avatar image for secondpersonshooter
    SecondPersonShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@teddie: but keep in mind, there is so much plot across the four yakuza games that nobody can actually remember everything that happens, even people who've played every single game like myself.

I just started Yakuza 4 a couple of days ago in preparation for this surprise drop of Yakuza 5. I had been saving 4 for a rainy day since I thought it may be the last localized title.

xshinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just started Y3, needless to say I picked up 4 and 5. So hyped!

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am drowning in a sea of install errors.

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By odinsmana

@getz: The side story stuff has been surprisingly good so far, I`m really enjoying it.

@redyoshi: It never gets too difficult, I lost once or twice on the later ones but it wasen`t too frustrating. I think that as long as you upgrade the car between races it will be fine.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Shindig

Swapped the hard drive in the hope of finally getting this going. Otherwise I'm going for a refund.

Bribo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@razzuel said:

I came in here to lament the loss of the preorder discount, but it looks like they fixed the glitch. It's still 10% off until it gets released.

Also, I still need to play through Yakuza 3 and 4. Hopefully 3 is better than 2. 2 was pretty good, but it didn't hit the same high notes as the first game.

Yakuza 2 is my favourite. A dude comes back from the dead, there are flashbacks to the 80's and you fight an effing tiger! Those are some pretty high notes.

3 is kind of a low point, but 4 is great.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Question before I start this, does anyone know if there are missable side quests in this one? Tried to google it but I can only find people talking about 3 and 4.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alright, its finally installed. 2 was fine but I never finished the final, final boss and his uzi bullshit. Was 3 the one with the recurring Benny Hill transexual? Wait, that had the orphanage, too. :D

Twinblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redyoshi said:
    @twinblade said:

I've only done the first one which was tutorialized, but I liked how relaxing it was, making chit-chat, and using my turn signals. I also liked smoking that fool on the highway with my taxi while hammering on the taunt button. Does it get much crazier later on? I'm not too optimistic about the car controls if it gets really difficult.

I've done about half of them and they've all been pretty manageable. The only frustrating mission was one where you had to obey every traffic rule while following a car and not letting it get away.

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By odinsmana

@teddie: I don`t think any of the sub stories are missable (they weren`t in 4 at least). I am about halfway through the game and so far it seems like they could fit in pretty much anywhere in the story. You will probably get a chance near the end of the game to do anything you missed.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@redyoshi said:
    @twinblade said:

I've done about half of them and they've all been pretty manageable. The only frustrating mission was one where you had to obey every traffic rule while following a car and not letting it get away.

I did all of them, they're all pretty much a breeze. The race missions kinda got close, but saving the turbo for the end/having that heat action at the end makes it really easy.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This really is like settling into a comfy pair of slippers.

DougCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

really loving it so far. its fun to have new minigames, because i felt like they didnt really add any great ones between 3 and 4.

LosDub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm glad its out tho I'm still trucking thru 3 wit 4 waiting on deck. I knew 5 was gonna come out by the end of the year since when I did the pre-order it had a 12-31-15 release date.

I understand they take time getting this over as they have other projects in the works while also developing stuff for current gen so you end up getting a smaller team to work on the localization and I really don't mind. Plus I can only imagine that with the game having a lot of text its gonna take awhile to translate and also get it correct since most languages do not have an exact translation. While also making some changes for western market as they think we just wont get it otherwise. Like anything in business it comes down to money/time.

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The three years wait is finally over! As i'm downloading it right now.

Thanks Sega and please don't let us wait this long for Yakuza 0.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@dougcl said:

really loving it so far. its fun to have new minigames, because i felt like they didnt really add any great ones between 3 and 4.

Not just in between games but in this one the different substory mechanics for each new character is really something, different sets of minigames for each character.

And I just got to Haruka's part and it turned into a rhythm game lol

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maaan, the game really loses steam once you hit Haruka's part. Not to mention my room-mate now thinks I'm in to J-Pop.

Even for Yakuza, it's just plain WEIRD to have this shit in the game.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I was really hoping for a physical retail version since I have bought all the yakuza games released in the west that way... though I suppose we are lucky to get it in any capacity.

Butler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hampe: can you explain this? I tried googling it but no avail.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was really hoping for a physical retail version since I have bought all the yakuza games released in the west that way... though I suppose we are lucky to get it in any capacity.

Import from Hong Kong, I guess?

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@shindig: I don't think there would be English subtitles. Sometimes Europe gets a physical edition of games like this so I'll remain hopeful.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah, I don't see that happening. Nobody will stock a new PS3 title and a limited run kinda defeats the purpose.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.