Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Sep 08, 2010

A first-person survival horror game with advanced physics-based puzzles from Frictional Games, the creators of the Penumbra series. Its dynamic of light and darkness and focus on avoidance of enemies rather than combat have been highly influential in recent horror games.

This Game is Perfect for Halloween (aka buy Amnesia)

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By bacongames

Seriously, Amnesia: The Dark Descent is the scariest thing I've played probably ever.  I, like Dave, had to stop after a while because I couldn't take it anymore.  Considering the game is on sale for Halloween, I suggest you good folks out there pick this one up for a good Halloween experience.  Aside from Costume Quest, I don't see any other game that's better to play for this year's Halloween.  If you want a good reason to play it, watch the Quick Look.

Anyone else buy this from the Trick or Treat sale on Steam?  I was hoping this game would go on sale for Halloween because I really wanted to play it sooner rather than later.  Being a discount whore, I couldn't pass this baby up for $13, especially when it's a very well reviewed game made independently.  What better time than to jump on the Halloween sale?  The best game out of that selection in my opinion (if Left 4 Dead, BioShock, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Dead Space, Team Fortress 2, and Plants vs. Zombies don't count).

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Jayross

Yeah, I think I will pick it up for tonight. Is it a long game? Or could I finish it in an evening?

Bunnyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Bunnyman

On the developer's website it's even cheaper, 10 USD. (Today is the last day of the sale.)
    http://www.frictionalgames.com/site/     

Looks like a really interesting game. No way I'm getting it though. The quick look was scary enough for me.

Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Romination

I'm not getting it simply because I don't think I'd enjoy it. I love Lovecraftian horror, I enjoy a good sanity effect in a game, but this is just a bit too overbearing with the horror and the "DON'T FIGHT STUFF". I wanna fight stuff though. However, I will watch someone play it and let that scare me.

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5  Edited By jorbear

I don't have Dead Space yet, so I'm torn between that, Amnesia, or the STALKER bundle. I already have SoC, but that means that CoP is only 10 USD...

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By warxsnake

If you like pissing and shitting on your chair yes, buy it

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By RsistncE
    @warxsnake said:
    " If you like pissing and shitting on your chair yes, buy it "
    Oh my god, I'm not sure if I want to buy it if it's THAT scary. Seriously how scary is this shit?
    cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By cornbredx

http://www.amnesiagame.com/ 

Scariest game in awhile. Very good experience. Better then the quicklook is the video (trailer) on the games site I linked above. It is indeed a scary game.
    DiscoDuck8k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By DiscoDuck8k

Watched a LP on YouTube and figured I'd never be able to actually finish it myself. Didn't even get through the demo when I got around to trying.

I like being scared sometimes, this game just tramples over my limits.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RsistncE
    @DiscoDuck8k said:
    " Watched a LP on YouTube and figured I'd never be able to actually finish it myself. Didn't even get through the demo when I got around to trying.  I like being scared sometimes, this game just tramples over my limits. "
    Downloading the demo right now. If I can get through it without nearly shitting my pants then I download the full version.
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RsistncE
    @jorbear said:
    " I don't have Dead Space yet, so I'm torn between that, Amnesia, or the STALKER bundle. I already have SoC, but that means that CoP is only 10 USD... "
    I haven't ever played the STALKER games (even though I remember being amazed by the first trailer that came out for that game in the pre-Half Life 2 era). Do you figure they're worth it for the 9.99?
    bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By bacongames
    @RsistncE said:
    " @jorbear said:
    " I don't have Dead Space yet, so I'm torn between that, Amnesia, or the STALKER bundle. I already have SoC, but that means that CoP is only 10 USD... "
    I haven't ever played the STALKER games (even though I remember being amazed by the first trailer that came out for that game in the pre-Half Life 2 era). Do you figure they're worth it for the 9.99? "
    Yes.  That game is honestly worth a purchase even if you don't ever play them because I feel like the developers deserve it.  Both games are amazing and I never ran into stability issues until I modded the first game.  The second one requires less modding and is even more stable.  Both great atmospheric games and I wish I had an excuse to play through them again.

On the subject of Amnesia, it's certainly a legitimately scary game but it focuses just as much on atmosphere and mystery.  I would classify it as mystery/horror and there are plenty of moments where you just soak in the dark dealings of Brennenburg castle.  It motivates you to listen and read the notes you find to fill in this game's awesome mystery (I've only played about 3 hours into it).
    jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13  Edited By jorbear
    @Tuffgong said:
    " @RsistncE said:
    " @jorbear said:
    I haven't ever played the STALKER games (even though I remember being amazed by the first trailer that came out for that game in the pre-Half Life 2 era). Do you figure they're worth it for the 9.99? "
    Yes.  That game is honestly worth a purchase even if you don't ever play them because I feel like the developers deserve it.  Both games are amazing and I never ran into stability issues until I modded the first game.  The second one requires less modding and is even more stable.  Both great atmospheric games and I wish I had an excuse to play through them again.  On the subject of Amnesia, it's certainly a legitimately scary game but it focuses just as much on atmosphere and mystery.  I would classify it as mystery/horror and there are plenty of moments where you just soak in the dark dealings of Brennenburg castle.  It motivates you to listen and read the notes you find to fill in this game's awesome mystery (I've only played about 3 hours into it). "
    Yeah, so would you recommend STALKER CoP, Dead Space, or Amnesia. I loved SoC, but the Amnesia demo was pretty effing scary...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.