offical english trailer here

#1 Posted by zaldar (92 posts) -

I have mixed feelings about this...I feel somewhat dirty after watching it...I feel like it is made for young girls and might have good kind of girl power instincts...but my western sensibilities can't get past the outfits...while finding them and the voices and attacks incredibly cute...as I say I am confused...

#2 Posted by zaldar (92 posts) -

opening also incredibly cute...I had not heard of this series until I saw the recent release here. Though honestly I would feel like I would have to turn in my man card...and not show others the game I may have to get this as it is incredibly cute and fits well with my anime sensibilities. Excuse me while I go skin a deer now though...

#3 Posted by beritbunny (25 posts) -

Yup, you would have to turn in your man card, but you can keep your dick so it's all good. :)

Though I am a female, I think I might have to surrender my "upstanding adult of the community" card for this one. But, eh. I just might get it, provided that it isn't actually an RTS or some other equally tedious/punishing genre. So often, the cuteness and brutality are directly proportional to each other. ;)

#4 Posted by zaldar (92 posts) -

It does look amazingly cute and from what I hear the gameplay on the others has been fun. Would have to buy a ps3 but as hard rain looks good as well (though incredibly different heh) I may just have to.

#5 Posted by beritbunny (25 posts) -

I wound up ordering this on Thursday for delivery on Friday from Amazon, but am still waiting (damn you, UPS!). Are you talking about Heavy Rain? Was hugely disappointed by that one. (bought at release.) I felt they shipped a VASTLY different game than the one they promoted for years. In the end it felt to me like the only commonalities were some art assets. But, if you're not infatuated with those old vids/pay less than 60$ you may do all right to go for it.

#6 Posted by Totori (559 posts) -

fuck your man card,  this game is great.

#7 Posted by Hailinel (22695 posts) -

I@Totori said:

fuck your man card, this game is great.

Yeah, I have this game sitting on my shelf waiting for the day I finish Xenoblade.

#8 Posted by Totori (559 posts) -
@Hailinel said:

I@Totori said:

fuck your man card, this game is great.

Yeah, I have this game sitting on my shelf waiting for the day I finish Xenoblade.

Did you play the other two?
#9 Posted by Hailinel (22695 posts) -

@Totori said:

@Hailinel said:

I@Totori said:

fuck your man card, this game is great.

Yeah, I have this game sitting on my shelf waiting for the day I finish Xenoblade.

Did you play the other two?

Nope. This will be my first Atelier anything, actually.

#10 Posted by Totori (559 posts) -
@Hailinel said:

@Totori said:

@Hailinel said:

I@Totori said:

fuck your man card, this game is great.

Yeah, I have this game sitting on my shelf waiting for the day I finish Xenoblade.

Did you play the other two?

Nope. This will be my first Atelier anything, actually.

Oh well it'll be less great then. There are people who were 16 in the 1st game who are 40 in this game. It'll be fine because there are a lot new characters but like half characters are from past games.  It'll just stuff like you won't know why one of the shop owners is a ghost.
#11 Posted by Hailinel (22695 posts) -

@Totori said:

@Hailinel said:

@Totori said:

@Hailinel said:

I@Totori said:

fuck your man card, this game is great.

Yeah, I have this game sitting on my shelf waiting for the day I finish Xenoblade.

Did you play the other two?

Nope. This will be my first Atelier anything, actually.

Oh well it'll be less great then. There are people who were 16 in the 1st game who are 40 in this game. It'll be fine because there are a lot new characters but like half characters are from past games. It'll just stuff like you won't know why one of the shop owners is a ghost.

Ah. Well in that case, I should probably hunt down the previous games to go along with it. I didn't realize that they were tied so closely together.

#12 Posted by Totori (559 posts) -
@Hailinel said:

@Totori said:

@Hailinel said:

@Totori said:

@Hailinel said:

I@Totori said:

fuck your man card, this game is great.

Yeah, I have this game sitting on my shelf waiting for the day I finish Xenoblade.

Did you play the other two?

Nope. This will be my first Atelier anything, actually.

Oh well it'll be less great then. There are people who were 16 in the 1st game who are 40 in this game. It'll be fine because there are a lot new characters but like half characters are from past games. It'll just stuff like you won't know why one of the shop owners is a ghost.

Ah. Well in that case, I should probably hunt down the previous games to go along with it. I didn't realize that they were tied so closely together.

Or you could play this one and see if you like it. If you do you can go backward and see where it all began.
#13 Posted by Beer (53 posts) -

@Totori: I haven't played a game with "Atelier" in the title since Atelier Iris, and this game doesn't seem to have much in common with that one. It's a pretty fun game though, and I was thinking about getting the previous games. Are Rorona and Totori the only other games related to Meruru story-wise?

#14 Edited by Totori (559 posts) -
@Beer: Yeah there are the Iris games. The ones base in a school, which were a lot like persona actually. Then the Arland games which are rorona, totori, meruru. They tell the history of a country named Arland over like 40 years.
#15 Posted by Totori (559 posts) -

Here is one character over the course of the games. 

 19
 30
 40
#16 Posted by Beer (53 posts) -

@Totori: Oh yeah that's Sterk right? I wouldn't have guessed he was 40 years old (I'm assuming the numbers beneath the images are ages).

I'm in the middle of Meruru right now. I had expected it to be more like Iris so I was a little disappointed at first, but it's so addictive I just couldn't stop playing it. I think I'll check out the other two games after I finish this one. Thanks for the info!

#17 Posted by Totori (559 posts) -
@Beer: Yeah He's 40 and people call him gramps in the game. He does not look like a grandpa and I don't think 40 is the age you start calling people gramps at.
#18 Posted by FulgoreSenpai (71 posts) -

@Hailinel: It has a video that gives the gist of the 1st 2 But If you like this one, coming from someone who played the previous two, you would regret not playing them first.

#19 Posted by TheHT (10257 posts) -

@Totori said:

Here is one character over the course of the games.
19
30
40

What the fuck.

Environments look great and the music's good but what the fuck?

#20 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2047 posts) -

@Totori:

So, the dude gets badass outfits, but the girls have to prance around like pedo bait in miniskirts and shit. As usual, Japanese developers don't get shit on for being creepy, sexist assholes, but everyone else has to suffer the wrath of the internets.

#21 Posted by Totori (559 posts) -
@TheHT: What? That's a guy aging 20 years over the course of three games.
 
@Dallas_Raines
Well I don't really think they are pedo-bait per say. I think they are just incredibly cutesy. There's actual fiction reasons the alchemists wear those clothes, just like mages wear robes. The Arland atelier games do look pedo-bait from the outside, I'll admit that. When you do play them, they are very cute and charming. They don't play up that angle really at all, not like something like Neptunia or record of agerest war. Likely for me I get no looks when I buy such games from a gamestop.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.