Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bastion

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Jul 20, 2011

Bastion is a story about a Kid, his hammer, and a world gone all kinds of wrong.

(spoilers) Thoughts on Bastion

coreymw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

Edited By coreymw

This is meant to spark a discussion. I know, or hope that most of you here have played the game or are at least familiar with it. Thanks to Giant Bomb for the "Building the Bastion" videos. They were great.

There's something to be said about a game that employs simple mechanics, but delivers a rich, rewarding experience. Upon completing the game I felt as though I'd played through my own Audible adventure book. The game features breathtaking artwork, fun and challenging foes and a solid story. But for me, the narration is the star of the show.

The Narrator talks about things you do, provides tips and delivers story as though he's reading, or writing a book. The entire thing was surreal. If I took time to rage and bash things with my hammer, he talked about it. If I walk off the edge of the level, he talked about it. It took some getting used to, but 10 minutes in and my actions felt like part of the story. As I played through the game I really did feel as though someone was reading a book to people about my quests. It may be my favorite style of narration in any game I've played.

The game is beautiful. Everything is lush and vibrant, except when it isn't for story or health reasons. I hate to make comparisons because the games are so different, but it reminded me of Braid, though Bastion is much more colorful. If it weren't for the enemies, my first play through would have been 3 or 4 times longer. I often found myself looking at the detail and beauty each level offered. The amount of work put into the art for this game is astounding. I appreciate that level of effort.

And then there's the music. It's nothing short of magical. It does a fantastic job of conveying the mood and sets the tone for the story throughout. While playing I had memories of Firefly and Serenity. There's an eclectic mix of music that outshines just about anything else I've played for as long as I can remember. I will be purchasing the soundtrack when it's made available.

I mentioned simplicity earlier, and this game is simplicity done right. Game play is straight forward and fun, but at the same time varied and challenging. What I mean is that the combination of weapons opens the game, and player up to scenarios not offered by other weapon combinations. My first play through I used a War Machete and a one shot bow. While that worked out for me, machete for close enemies and the bow for ranged attack, it meant I often found myself vulnerable. My second play through has seen me using dual pistols. They are rapid fire and allow me to (or at least allowed me to feel like) I can move quicker and roll away from enemies. The combinations seem endless, and with each combo the game plays differently.

coreymw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By coreymw

This is meant to spark a discussion. I know, or hope that most of you here have played the game or are at least familiar with it. Thanks to Giant Bomb for the "Building the Bastion" videos. They were great.

There's something to be said about a game that employs simple mechanics, but delivers a rich, rewarding experience. Upon completing the game I felt as though I'd played through my own Audible adventure book. The game features breathtaking artwork, fun and challenging foes and a solid story. But for me, the narration is the star of the show.

The Narrator talks about things you do, provides tips and delivers story as though he's reading, or writing a book. The entire thing was surreal. If I took time to rage and bash things with my hammer, he talked about it. If I walk off the edge of the level, he talked about it. It took some getting used to, but 10 minutes in and my actions felt like part of the story. As I played through the game I really did feel as though someone was reading a book to people about my quests. It may be my favorite style of narration in any game I've played.

The game is beautiful. Everything is lush and vibrant, except when it isn't for story or health reasons. I hate to make comparisons because the games are so different, but it reminded me of Braid, though Bastion is much more colorful. If it weren't for the enemies, my first play through would have been 3 or 4 times longer. I often found myself looking at the detail and beauty each level offered. The amount of work put into the art for this game is astounding. I appreciate that level of effort.

And then there's the music. It's nothing short of magical. It does a fantastic job of conveying the mood and sets the tone for the story throughout. While playing I had memories of Firefly and Serenity. There's an eclectic mix of music that outshines just about anything else I've played for as long as I can remember. I will be purchasing the soundtrack when it's made available.

I mentioned simplicity earlier, and this game is simplicity done right. Game play is straight forward and fun, but at the same time varied and challenging. What I mean is that the combination of weapons opens the game, and player up to scenarios not offered by other weapon combinations. My first play through I used a War Machete and a one shot bow. While that worked out for me, machete for close enemies and the bow for ranged attack, it meant I often found myself vulnerable. My second play through has seen me using dual pistols. They are rapid fire and allow me to (or at least allowed me to feel like) I can move quicker and roll away from enemies. The combinations seem endless, and with each combo the game plays differently.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By buft

the range of weapons in the game are perfectly balanced, i would use a different weapon each level on my second playthrough and enjoyed each of them equally, though if i had to pick a favourite and a least favourite i would choose pistol and breakers bow respectively, the pistol came out top for its high rate of fire and armor ignoring rounds the breaker bow was last simply because other weapons filled the powerful ranged weapon just as well but with a solid melee component( the machete and spear). 

I really like the music, it works very well in the game but the best part was the first time i heard Zia's song it was a powerful moment. 

Enjoyed the game thoroughly and find myself coming back to it even though i already S-ranked it.

coreymw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By coreymw

@buft:

I'm trying desperately to S rank it. Turning the idols on definitely changes things. It's like learning to play all over again, and I like that. That moment when you first hear Zia's song was, a moment. I don't know how to explain it. A sudden calm came over me, which was weird. I'd been amped up from all the fighting and then she started singing and I calmed down.

Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#4  Edited By Little_Socrates

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.