Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

Am I playing this game wrong? If so, help.

zman8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By zman8

I started up the single player of BF3 last night and died repeatedly. Granted this is my first real foray into the BF world (Company and Company 2 I don't think count), but I have played all the COD games and completed them on the hardest difficulty.

Like wise, I regularly play FPS and other action games.

But for some reason I spend more time at the "You Died" screen and the reloading screen than I do playing the game.

I've tried moving slowly, I've tried moving quickly, but it seems as though I more often than not end up at the "you died" screen.

For example, the scene in the second level before the earthquake, I was trying to get to the heavy machine gun on the bridge and kept getting shot down.

I am now in the third level, but since I keep dying, I am tempted to give up and move onto another game.

Any recommendations? Should I go from medium difficulty to easy or is there something I am just missing with respect to the game?

Thanks.

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By zidd

You should try multiplayer before you give up on the game. Even if you don't like multiplayer.

UncleClassy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By UncleClassy

Use more skill

FilipHolm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By FilipHolm

Use teamwork? Battlefield plays completely different from any CoD game.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

In my personal experience is that these style of games often have barely visible enemies.
    I love shooters, but any war shooter will drive me mad since I can't seem to hit the enemies for some reason...

BigBlueCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BigBlueCheese

If it's too hard just lower the difficulty.

Lnin0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Lnin0

To me it plays somewhere between the run & gun style of COD and stop & pop style of Gears. Your aim suffers if you shoot from the hip too much but a bullet will find you if you overstay your welcome in one spot. Duck and prone are very useful when used in short bursts. Cover, clear, sprint, repeat.

So when you come up out of the building all hell is breaking loose. If you make a break for the gun on the bridge the first wave of enemies will drop you in a heart beat. So when you come up take cover and quickly dispatch the few soldiers on your side of the bridge. As soon as you clear that area sprint to the bridge and grab the gun. Start spraying the crowd on the other side - especially anyone you see with an RPG - but don't stay still for too long. If you blast through your clip quickly you can use the reload time to duck down into cover and slide to a new spot along the bridge. Pop back up and start blasting the crowd some more.

Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By Twisted_Scot

Use cover more. Just because it tells you to go on the bridge and get the LMG doesn't mean you have to stay on the bridge. Find an area that has good cover and pop n shoot the enemies.Id also agree that you should play the MP before completely giving up on BF3. BF games have never really been about the SP. an if you try the MP and spend more time at the spawn screen than shooting...then YES you are playing it correctly :)

ericdrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By ericdrum

@zman8: I have been playing on Hard and I could never get up to that gun on the bridge. There is NO cover. So I just ran up the stairs to trigger the guys running at you and shot from the stairs, where I had cover. That was pretty frustrating and I died A LOT.

Jaserno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jaserno

Use cover, teamwork and maybe lower the difficulty. Don't go all guns blazing as you would on Call of Duty.

renmckormack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By renmckormack

Gameshark and/or Game Genie

I hide behind my dudes. They seem to be able to eat bullets without dying and there's no penalty in game for being a big pansy.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By McGhee

Shoot the dragon's tail to get the Drake Sword. It will solve all of your problems.

OsvaldoMoreno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By OsvaldoMoreno

Just take your time. I finished sp on hard and though it was ok. Sure I died a couple of times here and there but overall I fought the game was less cheap on it's difficulty then a cod on vet, especially since your A.I. teammates can actually drop some enemies if you just lay low a little and help them instead of rushing in.

edit: Oh and don't quit without playing the mp before. That's were the real fun is.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b71f33ff
    deactivated-5ffc9b71f33ff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 18

Same issue right now. Stuck running up the stairs to get to the MG. My SP hype for this went from !!!! to ... (edit: hiding on the stairs worked)

MP rocks my socks though.

Beiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Beiken

Find somewhere to hide, let the scripted event finish "that section" go onto the next part, you could probably play major parts of the game like this. Really think reviewers are too kind to the game just because of the MP, it certainly is not a 9/10 game if you look at the single player, its about where Homefront is and should be rated as, wich is a game that got rated because of the single player and the MP wich got alot of praise mainly got ignored but oh well...

Play the multiplayer, thats where it's at

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By MikkaQ

COD skills don't really translate well into the game. It's not about K/D, it's about your team winning. Don't focus on shooting dudes, just shoot whoever you come across while doing the main objectives. You get 10 people in a match willing to play like that and you'll win every time.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By Andorski

People should read that the OP - he's talking about single player.

I kinda had to use BF3 to get back into shooter games. Before this, I played through Gears 3 and I don't even remember the last FPS game I played before that. Some of my tips are:

1. Stay far away. You get no advantage in trying to close in on the enemy - they always outnumber you and are usually in position to flank any unnecessary advancement. Stick with weapons that use scopes and pick off enemies from cover.
    2. Speaking of cover, use the method that I would describe as a "screen sweep". While crouched behind cover, peek from either the left or right side and slowly scan the entire environment (starting from the side your on and turn your head all the way to the other side). For example, saying you are shooting from the left side of the cover. Turn your view from the left all the way to the right until you see an enemy. Then position your view so that the enemy is barely poking out of the left side of your cover. Take aim - then fire. If, say, an enemy pops out to the left of the enemy you are eyeing, then reposition yourself to make him your target. The goal is the systematically take out all enemies from the left side of the environment to the right.
    3. As someone else said - use your squad as cover. The AI tends to aim at them, leaving you an opening to fire back the enemy.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.