Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

Fault Line Episode 2!

Solemn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Solemn

Waiting all day and it's finally here.

Hell yes.
    Avatar image for joyfullofrockets
    JoyfullOFrockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By JoyfullOFrockets

That was pretty good.

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#3  Edited By PhatSeeJay

KaBOOM, baby!
    KaBOOM, baby!
    Solemn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Solemn

Holy fuck. All I could say was 'Ka-boom'.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5  Edited By Seppli

A quiet moment. How quaint.

Can't wait for part III to finally see the quake hitting the town.

XenoNick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By XenoNick

Sweet.

Ocean_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Ocean_H
    @PhatSeeJay said:
    "
    KaBOOM, baby!
    KaBOOM, baby!
    "
    LOL
    fillmoejoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 28

#8  Edited By fillmoejoe

That was pretty sweet.

FirePrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By FirePrince

Oh man, it looks incredible.
    Potter9156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Potter9156

Looks more scripted than COD, and not nearly as well done. Show me multiplayer.

Riddell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Riddell

Everyone I think we just caught a glimpse of next gen.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DonPixel
    @Potter9156 said:
    " Looks more scripted than COD, and not nearly as well done. Show me multiplayer. "
    No Caption Provided
    gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By gamb1t
    @Potter9156 said:
    " Looks more scripted than COD, and not nearly as well done. Show me multiplayer. "
    and your point being?
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mikemcn
    @Potter9156 said:
    They seriously need to stop pushing the Singleplayer, Im sure it'll be decent but theres very little they could do to it to make it stand out from every other First Person shooter.
    SquadBroken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By SquadBroken

I hate games that force you to go through slow ass scenes like this. It's not tension, it's not drama, it's just boring.

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#16  Edited By PhatSeeJay
    @SquadBroken said:

"  I hate games that force you to go through slow ass scenes like this. It's not tension, it's not drama, it's just boring. "

Let's emphasize your statement by saying that it's not tension or drama to you. Not everyone enjoys things to go at 110 from start to end.

I personally found the sniper chapter in Call of Duty 4 to be really refreshing in pace and made the action filled parts more interesting since there was the slower kind of tension and drama to build up to it.
    Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17  Edited By buzz_killington
    @Potter9156 said:
    Doesn't look nearly as well done? ARE YOU FUCKING INSANE?
    Potter9156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Potter9156
    @buzz_killington said:
    " @Potter9156 said:
    Doesn't look nearly as well done? ARE YOU FUCKING INSANE? "

@gamb1t said:
    " @Potter9156 said:
    and your point being? "

You're following an AI through linear corridors waiting for him to say jump, in a modern military shooter. What is even remotely impressive about that save the graphics? 
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Potter9156 said:
    " @buzz_killington said:
    " @Potter9156 said:

@gamb1t said:
    " @Potter9156 said:
    and your point being? "
     You're following an AI through linear corridors waiting for him to say jump, in a modern military shooter. What is even remotely impressive about that save the graphics?  "
    When i first read your comment about the game being more scripted than COD and not nearly as well done, i kinda nodded in agreement
    but then i watched the video two more times more closely, and imagined myself playing the game and seeing that footage happen during gameplay, and i thought "BOY was that guy [you] wrong" 

First of all, the animations and movement of the NPCs along with the amazing detailed graphics make for an alot better in-game atmosphere than COD.. i really adore the COD single player, however Gaz and Ghost and Cpt. Price etc.. always felt like NPCs whose eyes arent really looking anywhere and whose movement looked stiff and bland, simply because the game just straight up gives you the feeling that they're all knowing and invincible  

however in this video, you actually feel like you're in the company of other vulnerable human beings who are moving carefully and fluidly just to save their asses.. during gameplay thats gonna feel soooo much better than running alongside robotic Cpt. Price who's got balls of steel 

and not nearly well done? come on.. i still cant believe this is footage from an FPS. feels alot more real and unique and heavy than anything else ive seen
    Potter9156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Potter9156
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " @Potter9156 said:
    " @buzz_killington said:
    " @Potter9156 said:

@gamb1t said:
    " @Potter9156 said:
    and your point being? "
     You're following an AI through linear corridors waiting for him to say jump, in a modern military shooter. What is even remotely impressive about that save the graphics?  "
    ...however in this video, you actually feel like you're in the company of other vulnerable human beings who are moving carefully and fluidly just to save their asses.. during gameplay thats gonna feel soooo much better than running alongside robotic Cpt. Price who's got balls of steel  and not nearly well done? come on.. i still cant believe this is footage from an FPS. feels alot more real and unique and heavy than anything else ive seen "

Vulnerable human beings that can take a shot to the chest from a 50. cal and then stand back up unharmed? The scene had zero tension. You're trying to take out a sniper that can't even hit one of your guys after firing twenty rounds while they're on the roof. The only redeemable thing from that gameplay were the graphics.
    Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By Dingofighter

So, is your character going to get pissed he doesn't get to look cool opening doors like the other guys halfway through the game, then start shooting his team, ending up as a lone agent traveling over the world shoulder-checking doors?

buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By buzz_killington
    @Potter9156 said:
    " @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " @Potter9156 said:
    " @buzz_killington said:
    " @Potter9156 said:

@gamb1t said:
    " @Potter9156 said:
    and your point being? "
    ...however in this video, you actually feel like you're in the company of other vulnerable human beings who are moving carefully and fluidly just to save their asses.. during gameplay thats gonna feel soooo much better than running alongside robotic Cpt. Price who's got balls of steel  and not nearly well done? come on.. i still cant believe this is footage from an FPS. feels alot more real and unique and heavy than anything else ive seen "
     Vulnerable human beings that can take a shot to the chest from a 50. cal and then stand back up unharmed? The scene had zero tension. You're trying to take out a sniper that can't even hit one of your guys after firing twenty rounds while they're on the roof. The only redeemable thing from that gameplay were the graphics. "
    If it looks better than COD, how is it "not nearly as well done"? If you had said it looks like COD, I would've been right there with you. But to needlessly exaggerate just to be going against the wave of hype building around this amazing looking game, that is just what I call (pardon the French) BULLSHIT. 
    Plus, let's just thank God there is a meaningful Singleplayer campaign unlike older BF games (BC not included), because you know that Multiplayer is going to be amazing regardless of the campaign (it is DICE we're talking about here).
    Potter9156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Potter9156
    @buzz_killington said:
    " @Potter9156 said:
    " @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " @Potter9156 said:
    " @buzz_killington said:
    " @Potter9156 said:

@gamb1t said:
    " @Potter9156 said:
    and your point being? "
     Vulnerable human beings that can take a shot to the chest from a 50. cal and then stand back up unharmed? The scene had zero tension. You're trying to take out a sniper that can't even hit one of your guys after firing twenty rounds while they're on the roof. The only redeemable thing from that gameplay were the graphics. "
    If it looks better than COD, how is it "not nearly as well done"? If you had said it looks like COD, I would've been right there with you. But to needlessly exaggerate just to be going against the wave of hype building around this amazing looking game, that is just what I call (pardon the French) BULLSHIT.  Plus, let's just thank God there is a meaningful Singleplayer campaign unlike older BF games (BC not included), because you know that Multiplayer is going to be amazing regardless of the campaign (it is DICE we're talking about here). "

Because graphics aren't everything? And the last time I checked, the hype building around this game is not because of the single player, but the multiplayer. Of which I'm looking forward to playing.
    easthill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By easthill
    @Potter9156:
    Why would they show the multiplayer 8 months before the game ships? The MP will be polished and things will change before we can play the game, makes no sense to show it off now - when it probably wont look like the final product. Besides, anyone have any doubts the multiplayer will be awesome? They haven't disappointed MP wise yet - but SP? That's where we'll need to be convinced, and so far they are doing a good job.
    Ocean_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Ocean_H
    @Potter9156 said:

@SquadBroken said:

"  I hate games that force you to go through slow ass scenes like this. It's not tension, it's not drama, it's just boring. "

@Potter9156 said:

" @buzz_killington said:

" @Potter9156 said:

@gamb1t said:
    " @Potter9156 said:
    and your point being? "
    Still... WHAT. THE. FUCK?! There's not even one remotely common sense in what you said. In other words, you mean that anything you know you won't personally feel death in real life won't give you tension? Because that seems to be yours (you 2 guys) perception, which, ... where the fuck is the common sense?! From what you guys said, I'm even afraid of what builds you guys excitements.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Potter9156 said: 

" Vulnerable human beings that can take a shot to the chest from a 50. cal and then stand back up unharmed?"

when did that happen? none of your squad mates got shot by the sniper ! 
    the only one who did got shot was the guy in the first trailer who you had to drag to safety..  

" The scene had zero tension. "

i kinda agree. but while it wasnt as big on tension/drama as Call of Duty is, it gave a better overall war feeling.. 

" You're trying to take out a sniper that can't even hit one of your guys after firing twenty rounds while they're on the roof. "

now you're just being silly.. they were careful, kept getting behind cover and planned a counterattack. what, are snipers always supposed to get hits ? 

@buzz_killington said:
    " But to needlessly exaggerate just to be going against the wave of hype building around this amazing looking game, that is just what I call (pardon the French) BULLSHIT.   "

hey maybe he really thinks its nothing special.. he may even have a point, so lets see what he has to say 

" Plus, let's just thank God there is a meaningful Singleplayer campaign unlike older BF games (BC not included), because you know that Multiplayer is going to be amazing regardless of the campaign (it is DICE we're talking about here). "
    While i like this single player portion of the game that'll be a good way to show the good graphics and physics, im not too thrilled about it.. for all i care, a Battlefield 3 that ditches the Bad Company direction and gets back to hardcore multiplayer focus with enough resources and features to blow any other mp shooter out of the water, is what we need 
    however i can see how an SP component is a must, just like MP components have become a must for SP-based games, so whatever.. it'll be a nice ride i guess.
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By buzz_killington
    @Potter9156: Other than the way it LOOKS, what other criteria do you have for judging a game based on a VIDEO?
    Potter9156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Potter9156

@buzz_killington said:

" @Potter9156: Other than the way it LOOKS, what other criteria do you have for judging a game based on a VIDEO? "

You don't need to be playing the game to intuit the quality of the set-pieces and critic the story being told in those scenes. What could have been an intense set-piece was ruined thanks to "Stevie Wonder the Sniper" and invincible allies. Of course all of this can be improved by the time it releases, but what I'm seeing now doesn't exactly have me enthralled.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Potter9156:  all i can say is, there's a pretty good chance that you're judging the video too quickly and arent seeing it the way we see it 

maybe you'll see it through our eyes soon and realize that this video has a feel we've never experienced before, maybe you wont (out of hate), and maybe you just wont because you wont, which is an opinion you're fully entitled to have (negative one about the game).. 

And so, i hope you do see how that stevie wonder sniper was a brilliant touch,. but you sound like you probably wont.. 

Hey its ok, i think inFamous stinks to high heavens, yet people worship it. we all have a few.. "off" opinions and points of view about great products
    B0nd07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#30  Edited By B0nd07
    @Potter9156 said:

"           @buzz_killington said:

" @Potter9156: Other than the way it LOOKS, what other criteria do you have for judging a game based on a VIDEO? "
       You don't need to be playing the game to intuit the quality of the set-pieces and critic the story being told in those scenes. What could have been an intense set-piece was ruined thanks to "Stevie Wonder the Sniper" and invincible allies. Of course all of this can be improved by the time it releases, but what I'm seeing now doesn't exactly have me enthralled. "
    There you go again with the "invincible allies" thing.  How can you say they're invincible when NO ONE GOT SHOT?  And snipers don't always hit, especially against moving targets.  Believe it or not, real world sniping is hard (inb4 hur dur it's a game, not real comments).  Also, the part where the sniper kept shooting the wall?  He's got an anti-material rifle, so he's going to try and hit them through the wall.

The one thing that would have improved the trailer for me is if the sniper shot while they were moving from cover to cover, not after they reached the next spot.  That's it; and that's nit-picking.  I'm pretty damn impressed with how it's looking.
    easthill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By easthill

Eerie familiar?
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @easthill said:
    "   
      Eerie familiar? "
    dude ! yes !!
    Potter9156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Potter9156
    @B0nd07 said:

" @Potter9156 said:

You don't need to be playing the game to intuit the quality of the set-pieces and critic the story being told in those scenes. What could have been an intense set-piece was ruined thanks to "Stevie Wonder the Sniper" and invincible allies. Of course all of this can be improved by the time it releases, but what I'm seeing now doesn't exactly have me enthralled. "
    There you go again with the "invincible allies" thing.  How can you say they're invincible when NO ONE GOT SHOT?  And snipers don't always hit, especially against moving targets.  Believe it or not, real world sniping is hard (inb4 hur dur it's a game, not real comments).  Also, the part where the sniper kept shooting the wall?  He's got an anti-material rifle, so he's going to try and hit them through the wall. The one thing that would have improved the trailer for me is if the sniper shot while they were moving from cover to cover, not after they reached the next spot.  That's it; and that's nit-picking.  I'm pretty damn impressed with how it's looking. "

In the first video you see a guy being shot by the sniper, a couple seconds later you hear the same guy say "I'm up, fucked up but I'm up" or something like that. Tension however, did die. I'm no scientist, but after being shot in the upper body by a 50 caliber sniper rifle I would make a guess that you're probably missing a chest and dead. 
    B0nd07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#34  Edited By B0nd07
    @Potter9156 said:

" In the first video you see a guy being shot by the sniper, a couple seconds later you hear the same guy say "I'm up, fucked up but I'm up" or something like that. Tension however, did die. I'm no scientist, but after being shot in the upper body by a 50 caliber sniper rifle I would make a guess that you're probably missing a chest and dead.  "

No, you did not.  The guy that got shot was dragged to safety.  The squad-mate that said that said it some time later after a gun fight.  Watch it again. 

You'll notice that you start with five guys in your squad, including you (0:33, 0:55), one gets shot and dragged to safety (1:46 | note he's clearly unconscious or dead), then there's a gun fight.  After a cut to after the fight (2:16) you hear the remaining three call out that they're OK ("I'm up") and, if you watch carefully, you'll only see those three as well.  Cut to start of second video; it's you and the remaining three members of your squad on the roof-top.
    Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 6

#35  Edited By Jayross

Hopefully they will try to give you a bond with your squad, and not just have nameless, faceless AI buddies that you follow around. There needs to be some non-combat kind of stuff for that to happen, but I don't think DICE will take that risk.

GeneralTurkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36  Edited By GeneralTurkle

I love how people they think they have any real world military knowledge when they don't. Especially sniping, COD does not count as real life

But this looks amazing. Definitely a sense of depth and teamwork here. Good stuff

Ocean_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Ocean_H
    @Potter9156 said:
    " @B0nd07 said:

" @Potter9156 said:

There you go again with the "invincible allies" thing.  How can you say they're invincible when NO ONE GOT SHOT?  And snipers don't always hit, especially against moving targets.  Believe it or not, real world sniping is hard (inb4 hur dur it's a game, not real comments).  Also, the part where the sniper kept shooting the wall?  He's got an anti-material rifle, so he's going to try and hit them through the wall. The one thing that would have improved the trailer for me is if the sniper shot while they were moving from cover to cover, not after they reached the next spot.  That's it; and that's nit-picking.  I'm pretty damn impressed with how it's looking. "
     In the first video you see a guy being shot by the sniper, a couple seconds later you hear the same guy say "I'm up, fucked up but I'm up" or something like that. Tension however, did die. I'm no scientist, but after being shot in the upper body by a 50 caliber sniper rifle I would make a guess that you're probably missing a chest and dead.  "
    Why don't we just assume the sniper got killed by a random bullet when the Marines were covering fire while SSgt. Blackburn was pulling the down Marine and a simple insurgent rifleman close to the sniper quickly took the sniper rifle without any sniping knowledge and try to kill those Marines on the rooftop. Does it make enough sense?
    Zafmg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Zafmg

Dang Potter you really stirred the pot in here. Hah. I liked your point regarding scripted sequences on the first page though. 

Tension is incredibly difficult to build and scripted sequences are a double-edged sword - on one hand it gives the scene direction and designers full control, on the other hand the player loses control / perceived influence and the A.I. pawns can throw a spanner in the works too.

Look no further than the recent Medal of Honour game to see why highly-scripted sequences are a bad, bad choice.

There are better ways to build and bust tension. The Rainbow Six series and the SWAT series are in my mind pretty good examples of very tense gameplay expereiences overall - mostly because there is a tangible sense of fear and unknown. A large part of that also had to do with that player's autonomy in approaching the situation, and feeling responsible for teammates.

jillsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#39  Edited By jillsandwich

Seems like an interesting time for earthquakes right now. Just as I'm going through an earthquake-themed unit in my Science class, there's all this shit going on in Japan and other places, and this specific level in Battlefield 3 has an earthquake. Really looking forward to that, assuming that happens in the third piece of demo footage.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @jillsandwich said:
    " Seems like an interesting time for earthquakes right now. Just as I'm going through an earthquake-themed unit in my Science class, there's all this shit going on in Japan and other places, and this specific level in Battlefield 3 has an earthquake. Really looking forward to that, assuming that happens in the third piece of demo footage. "
    if BF3 features an arab revolution it'd be too fucking relevant
    Avatar image for deactivated-589899fbf34c7
    deactivated-589899fbf34c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They need to fix the amount of mud splattering around after each footstep. Doesnt fit in when they run on a "clean" roof like that. :) Other than that, it looks so amazing!  And yeah, the tension of this scripted scene would have increased so much if the sniper had just shot and missed one time... After the second shot he missed I started to get irritated. Giving away his location like a complete idiot.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#42  Edited By Sin4profit
    @Mikemcn said:
    " @Potter9156 said:
    They seriously need to stop pushing the Singleplayer, Im sure it'll be decent but theres very little they could do to it to make it stand out from every other First Person shooter. "
    do they really need to push Multiplayer? The people who are already excited for the MP are alrady sold and if they show them too much of what they don't want to see, before anyone gets a chance to play it, they could more easily be unsold.
    Avatar image for deactivated-589899fbf34c7
    deactivated-589899fbf34c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Mikemcn said:
    " @Potter9156 said:
    They seriously need to stop pushing the Singleplayer, Im sure it'll be decent but theres very little they could do to it to make it stand out from every other First Person shooter. "
    Haven't you seen the trailers and read the news and listen to developer interviews? They are using ANT for charachter animation for example. ONLY THAT makes them stand out from EVERY single First Person Shooter thats out there...
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By mikemcn
    @Sin4profit said:
    " @Mikemcn said:
    " @Potter9156 said:
    do they really need to push Multiplayer? The people who are already excited for the MP are alrady sold and if they show them too much of what they don't want to see, before anyone gets a chance to play it, they could more easily be unsold. "
    You have a point, and supposedly most people who play games like Call of Duty or Bad Company aren't playing it online, Which seems absolutely insane, but I guess theres just alot of unconnected Xboxs/PS3s
    jillsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#45  Edited By jillsandwich
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " @jillsandwich said:
    " Seems like an interesting time for earthquakes right now. Just as I'm going through an earthquake-themed unit in my Science class, there's all this shit going on in Japan and other places, and this specific level in Battlefield 3 has an earthquake. Really looking forward to that, assuming that happens in the third piece of demo footage. "
    if BF3 features an arab revolution it'd be too fucking relevant "
    I foresee many lines to the effect of 'We need to get the fuck out of of here" if that happened.
    mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By mikeeegeee

Episode 3 comes in on Wednesday, d00dz. I'm already excited.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.