Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Black Mesa

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Mar 06, 2020

A fan-made re-imagining of the 1998 FPS hit Half-Life.

Play HL2 or wait for the rest of Black Mesa to be released?

Avatar image for secondheartbeat
    SecondHeartbeat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I've finally got around to finishing Black Mesa (what is released of it) and I am now eager for more Half Life. I have never played the original release and I am not aware of how it ends. Would you advise I wait to play the final chapters before starting Half Life 2? I do own Half Life, but the graphics make me sick and it seems the final chapters aren't generally considered to be very good anyway. What are your thoughts?

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

You dont have to finish The first Half Life to understand Half Life 2. The connection to both is sparse (really there's only a few nods to the first half life in two and both games are mostly their own thing).

If you really want to play Half Life 2 there's no reason you shouldn't. Even if you want to delve into the rest of Black Mesa whenever it comes out- it wouldn't ruin anything in my opinion.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Aetheldod

Go and play Half Life 2 already. The story importance of the xen past of the game is at best minimal and the only thing that you may not know is the last part of the game which is kind o mimiqued on the first instances of Half Life 2 and you may not know why it happens but is not as crucial.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By pr1mus

Black Mesa ended just before the point where Half-Life becomes shit. Maybe if they do finish it they'll make it not shit but you really don't need to play it to understand Half-Life 2.

You can always just watch the ending or read up on it.

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

What's wrong with Half-Life's graphics? I think they hold up pretty well. They were absolutely mind blowing when it was new.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By TheHT

Xen wasn't so bad, and the shit the Nihilanth says is some of the more interesting stuff in the series. But it's nothing you can't get from reading about it.

Or just watch this (with the added bonus of the expansions endings if you're interested):

Loading Video...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.