Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Book of Demons

Game » consists of 0 releases. Released Dec 13, 2018

Book of Demons is an isometric dungeon crawler action RPG game where classical inventory and skills development were replaced with card system.

This is now out of early access... What do people think?

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Is it worth the EU17.99? It's on sale and I am looking for something different to play that will run on my terrible laptop. I need something other than Slay the Spire and Diablo III ;)

Is it good?

Avatar image for fear_the_booboo
    Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Bought it but haven’t played yet, for some reason I had 66% coupon on it. Curious to dive in (I always love a grindy podcast game and I hope it fits the bill)

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bought it but haven’t played yet, for some reason I had 66% coupon on it. Curious to dive in (I always love a grindy podcast game and I hope it fits the bill)

That's pretty much what I am looking for.

vortextk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Gonna copy and paste from the other topic on the game if you didn't see.

PSA: Do you have darkest dungeon on steam? Cause my friend and I did and we had 66% off coupons for this game. 66% off it's sale price of 20(down from 25) was worth it for me to check out.

Very neat; very minimalist. You move on a set path through out each dungeon forwards or backwards. You can auto attack at a medium close range, but clicking(and holding) will let you attack faster and from farther away. Since you can't leave the track, you click pots, chests and book cases to interact from a distance once they're mid screen away and mouse over gold or click items to collect. Rather than cooldown and partial action combat, it's way more about awareness and being fast with clicking. Click and hold a bubble above a monster to cancel their spell cast. Click on your health while your poisoned when it flashes to heal part of the poison away. Click a shield placed a little randomly over the monster you want to attack to break it or otherwise you can't do health damage to it.

Doing a dungeon run is very unique. It has like 6 or so choices, based on time. So every run you go on gets you further down to I assume the end, or aleast end of one major part of the game. However when you choose to go to the dungeon you can pick a time you want to go on and then it designs a dungeon run based on that length with actual rewards and boss fights. If you want to go in for a 9 minute short run, it'll design a quick 2 level run. If you pick a 27 minute medium run, it generates 4 levels that are longer with more in it. It even tries to learn and adapt the time to how fast you play and then also as monsters get stronger because you're going deeper.

I don't think it's -amazing-, but it's just a really neat take on a diablo 1 game.

I'll go deeper as I've put another 2 hours~ in. Still having fun and find it enjoyable. I haven't tried the other two classes at all, each one seems to be their own save slot to beat the game from the beginning like a true diablo style game. Mana for the warrior class seemed to be annoying to get at first; an in town healer at one point for I think free and some mana wells strewn about the dungeon, but you "equip" gear cards by taking a chunk of mana. So this sword that lets me cleave a monster close to my main target queues up 6 of my mana that I can no longer use. That wasn't the issue, it was about my leftover mana for active spells. Right after I found the mana potion card I found an amulet that regenerates it at a decent clip so I get to use abilities a lot now too.

The game continues with status effects like a stun you have to clear off you screen; get stunned enough and you lose access to your cards (they're diagonal in your slots, click them to get them back). You can get frozen in place and won't be able to move or webbed which will temporarily lose you access to cards.

You find different versions of cards like magical item rarity too. I found a basic magical version of the sword card that let me cleave that gave me +1 health. Seen legendary too but I imagine atleast 1 other level of rarity. You can level your cards up with material "rune" cards but they will cost more be it a spell that costs more mana or gear that take a larger chunk to equip or even potions where you can hold more, they heal more but they cost more gold to recharge in town.

Something I don't do often enough is swap cards in dungeons, you can, and I believe it slows down time in that menu?

If you want a different take on a classic dungeon crawler, sure, get it. A little minimalist in it's action but not of the game overall.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for the info! After reading this I decided to give it a shot. Im a few hours in like youself and have a pretty good idea of what the game is now. The control you have over the runs is fantastic. I think I will restart as mage tho as I generally have more fun with a mage class

Fezrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got this too after realizing I had a 66% off coupon due to owning Darkest Dungeon. Its even more Diablo than I thought it would be, which isn't a bad thing; just, I don't think of hack-and-slash mouse clicking in a card game. The on-rails movement is kind of frustrating though, and I find it far too easy to start running towards enemies by accident when I'm just trying to attack them and then it feeling especially clunky trying to move backwards again. Seems like potentially a good podcast game, which is exactly what I was hoping for.

vortextk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fezrock: I turned mouse movement off completely and go with wasd, which works from the start but I got tired of accidentally moving when I was clicking. Though I have run into one full problem using keyboard movement. On certain short paths with certain branching paths of off it, my character literally gets stuck in the middle. I'll be holding the same movement key, let's say W, to go up/left a short path and when I get directly in the middle of the path, the game can't decide if W means up/left or down/right, but only right in the middle.

In general wasd was a tiny bit weird at first because of the viewpoint but besides that occasional issue I like it way more when I got used to it.

riv3nt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Been playing this for a few hours now myself... just to chime in: it's fun. It's overpriced, IMO, but if you've got the coupon for 66% off it's very worth it. My only real problem with the game so far, as others have mentioned, is the movement can be a little wonky. Wish they'd work on that a little more, but it's not a huge deal. It's a good game to jump in to for half an hour or so at a time, which is made even better by being able to choose the size of your runs, where they give you an estimate, based on your playstyle, of how long it will take you to finish.

vortextk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By vortextk

@riv3nt: At one point I was getting little green arrows down paths that using wasd would lead me. Like hey, you're holding W, you're going in a direction, and with this fork coming up, you're gonna take it. I don't know why it started doing that. I don't know why it stopped.. I was near the end when it stopped anyway so I didn't bother investigating.

I beat the game with the initial warrior class. It was neat, I had fun, I have 0 intention of playing the never ending dungeon "Free mode". It ain't that fun. I might try another class at some point. Still feeling the same on the price; it just doesn't feel worth what they're charging as full price on steam right now. Not to say the overall craft isn't good but it feels needlessly high without a discount.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I found it to be dull and repetetive, and regret my purchase. Played it for too long to get a refund, hoping it would get better, but alas.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.