I've played the game for about 4-5 hours now and decided to write something up here since this forum is so quiet.
- Very fun game
- Campaign mode is split up in small missions which make it perfect for an on-the-go experience. And some of them are a bit hard, even on easier difficulties, it's a challenging, fun game. There are, though, very few missions (10) but there's also 3 different difficulties
- Hostiles mode is pretty fun, and since I often play those type of survival Twin-Stick Shooters on my phone, I really enjoy the idea of the gametype. It's a shame it's only single player, they should have added a co-op option.
- Multiplayer is where this game shines. It's exactly what you'd expect from a CoD experience. Sure, it's a bit stripped out and you don't have the same hundreds or thousands of variables you can mess with on the console / PC releases, but the core game is there, it's fun as hell, and the sense of progression is kept intact. No voice chat (unless you're in a Vita Party system or something like that, didn't look much into it). Which is okay by me, I don't want to waste time muting little kids or people that are annoying.
- The maps are mostly small (to fit 4v4 matches) but work great, and even though most of them inspire a more action oriented play style, there are some maps where you can also sneak up on people and move like a ghost in the night (lol)
- Time Trial is... just there. I find it useless. It's interesting if you care about leaderboards. I don't care much, but might have a go at it again later. I am only interested in it from a trophy perspective (I'm a trophy whore ):).
- I don't get why Campaign Missions and the Hostile game mode don't have co-op. Nihilistic Software always said their main focus was the multiplayer, but they lost some very cool opportunities here. Eventually the Campaign will get stale.
- Only 6 multiplayer maps. Although they're good maps (a couple of them have very bad level design and are basic as hell... but still fun to play in), they're smaller than the main game's ones (which makes sense since it's 4v4 matches, and they work great on these small sized maps) and you'll get to know them rather quickly and probably start craving new ones (haven't reached this point yet, but I'm sure I will). Let's hope there's some DLC. But seriously, this game should have had more maps. They left out a lot of space on that game card.
- The respawning. Since the maps are so small, there's a lot of bad respawning. Especially on Free for All you'll see people spawning in front of you, or at your back. It's kind of ridiculous (depends on the map of course, only majorly happens on a couple of them).
- No ZOMBIES :( Here's to hoping we get them in some kind of update or DLC.
And there you go. 5 pros and 5 cons. Does this mean I feel the game is average? No. It's above average, it's good - the pros certainly outweight the cons since the game is very very fun. It's not excellent though, but it does exactly what I most wanted it to do: CoD Multiplayer on the go. There is though a lot of space for improvement that Nihilistic just didn't go into. The game feels a bit rushed it's true, they should have developed it a lot more, added more stuff (the Vita is certainly capable of it) and make it a bit more like the full CoD console / PC experience. As it stands, it's worth it for fans of the multiplayer experience especially.
Now excuse me while I pwn some dudes.