Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Black Ops

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Nov 09, 2010

The seventh installment of the long-running action franchise, Call of Duty: Black Ops puts players into the early era of the Cold War (including the Vietnam War) as a member of the United States black operations unit known as the SOG.

Shotguns. Yay or Nay? (VIDEO WITH COMMENTARY INSIDE)

jeremytodd1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jeremytodd1

Shotguns have been getting a lot of hatemail lately, and I don't understand why. Sure they definitely aren't as good as they were in MW2 but they can still hold their own just fine. 

Silencers on shotguns really don't even have an effect, so you can run around with a silenced shotgun and still do some damage. 

Video of a FFA with a silenced Spaz (and the crossbow).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r0PHgL03HE     

What do you all think of the shotguns in this game?

gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By gamb1t

Shotguns are shotguns. Thread closed.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By jakob187

Well, the reason people are bitching is because the SPAS12 with a silencer actually makes the effective range of a SPAS12 BETTER as well as increasing the damage because it is somehow concentrating the bullets to have little spread.  Essentially, instead of shooting buck shot, it's acting like a slug.  You can run with Steady Aim and just plow through muthafuckers with a bullet or two, while all of the other shotguns are essentially useless as you need at least three to really make it seem worthwhile. 

The shotguns are drastically underpowered in the game, to the point that it makes me question why they are PRIMARY weapons.  However, when looking at the way the SPAS12 w/ silencer works, it's clear that something is messed up here in comparison. 

I only say this because me and my friends have been rolling four deep with SPAS12 w/ silencer and raping face in matches by nearly 5000 points in TDM.  That's right - we're finishing matches 7500 - 2500 and 7500 - 3000.  In comparison, we usually (as a group) roll about 2000 or 3000 points maximum with our wins. 

They need to fix the SPAS12/suppressor combo, as it's right up there with the annoyances of Akimbo 1887s.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By keyhunter

If I remember correctly, less than 8000 SPAS 12's were ever manufactured, and the military sure as shit never used them. Why the fuck is the SPAS 12 in every game? Must be cheap to license that piece of shit. Also SPAS 12's are terrible.

gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By gamb1t
    @jakob187: 

lol teamdeathmatch
    infininja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By infininja

The suppressor on the SPAS (which, as far as I can recall, is the only shotgun that can take one) doesn't change the SPAS's stats or all. There is no detriment or benefit to adding the suppressor besides the obvious silencing of the gun.

Bass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Bass
    @jakob187:  This isn't true. I don't know where you have heard this from, but the silencer does not concentrate the spread or anything like that. The only thing that the suppressor does is, well, suppress your weapon. It doesn't decrease the range like it did in MW2, but it certainly doesn't make it more accurate or deadly, besides the sneaky-mode benefit. 
    Moody_yeti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Moody_yeti

Gonna go with jakob's thoughts as to why are they a primary now? : /  

But on small confined maps i have no problem with them i get some of my best scores with my spas 12 but meh

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Tennmuerti

The video is on Nuketown, the most shotgun friendly map.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10  Edited By Skald

My favourite gun to use online is the Stakeout. You just have to know when and where to use it.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jakob187
    @Bass: It's a good thing I've done my research on this.  FRESH PICTURES INCOMING! 

With a suppressor (full clip emptied)
     With a suppressor (full clip emptied)

Without a suppressor (I couldn't keep shooting as it was too embarrassing at that point)
     Without a suppressor (I couldn't keep shooting as it was too embarrassing at that point)
    The first picture was taken with the camera a little closer to the TV, so sorry about that.  Regardless, both of these were standing from the same exact position (as you can tell, I was switching out weapons). 

So...you said you don't know where I heard this from.  I heard it from the headphones on the TV that I play on. 

By all means, I can upload the ones that show how much more effective and concentrated it is at range if you'd like...DESPITE the fact that the stats screen says the range with a suppressor is one bar shorter... 

THANK YOU AND GOOD NIGHT, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN! 

The next thing I know, you're going to all tell me that the Galiel doesn't perform any better with a suppressor on it either!!!  BWAHAHAHAHA!!!
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Can you even put suppressors on shotguns in real life? It sort of seems like it's defeat the point to me.  

Also, the only reason I'd use a shotgun online would be if I could use those fire rounds from that level in the campaign. 

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Wuddel

I use the SPAS as my main weapon. But without a suppressor. Maybe because I am bad and the spread will do the aiming for me. I read on wikia the suppressor will reduce the fire rate. I mainly use it because of the clip size. 4 rounds are often not enough.

I mean they are ok. Shotguns have clear advantages and disadvantages. The disadvantages (range) are actually more prominent if you do not play a certain way. So they are by no means overpowered. 

DaemonicGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DaemonicGrim
    @jakob187:  reading this thread has stopped some partial insanity of mine. 

Just last night I was playing some team tactical with my housemate and the opposing team was completely mincing us with the silenced spas12 during TDM. I swapped to my own unsilenced spas12 to see if it helps get a little revenge and still got trashed. Shot for shot the silenced version certainly felt stronger and that baffled the hell out of me til right now. 

So yeah, that must need fixed but I think I'll pop a silencer on mine til that occurs. 

Also, the previous posts about why would anyone use shotguns etc: simply for the variety, who wants to play one single uber set all the time, it just gets dull and repetitive. Tis good to constantly mix up which guns you use and how you use them.
    Bass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Bass
    @jakob187: How much reproducibility does that spread have? I have a strong feeling that, repeated over and over, the spread of the spas silenced and unsilenced will be virtually the same. 
    I may have to test some of this myself, as it turns out.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jakob187
    @Bass: This is the same result I've gotten 7 out of 10 times.  There are plenty of threads on the net that are saying the same thing as I'm showing with these pictures. 

Silenced SPAS12 makes the SPAS12 an all-around better gun, and if anything, it makes at least one shotgun viable as a primary weapon.
    234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#17  Edited By 234r2we232

I'm not sure I've ever used a shotgun yet (outside of picking up a dropped one when the situation calls for it). Maybe just because the idea of it being primary still seems weird after MW2, but they might actually be a viable weapon after-all :P

I remember one of my favourite tactics in MW2 was to combine a SPAS with stun grenades, along with the Scavenger perk equipped. I'm feeling tempted to bring it back.

Hawkehaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By Hawkehaven

The silencer on the spas-12 makes it a viable choice in a close range firefight. I would choose it over say the Stakeout. But as of late when I have been playing I haven't seen all that much of any shotgun being used.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By Lukeweizer

Is the Spaz better with a silencer? I've never been able to 1 shot anyone with a regular Spaz. I've even had to lay 3-4 shots into some people.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By jakob187
    @Hawkehaven: Yeah, sorry about that.  My buddies and I have been too busy playing Need For Speed and Brotherhood to be bothered with shotgun-running on CODBLOPS and starting more internet rage.  = D 

@Lukeweizer: Look at my pictures above and be the judge.  Personally, I think it's a drastically improved amount of performance from the gun if you equip a silencer to it.
    Bass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Bass

i did tests as well and didn't get anything that replicated your results. I do believe that the silencer makes the spas better though, since staying off the radar is always welcome. People should definitely use it with a silencer, by all means, but i don't think it does anything to the power (positive or negative).

advocatefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By advocatefish

I cant really image using a shotgun. But then again i think ive only ever used shotguns in gears of war, because they were effective. Maybe on Havana or Cracked, but ill just stick to my Galil.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.