Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Black Ops

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Nov 09, 2010

The seventh installment of the long-running action franchise, Call of Duty: Black Ops puts players into the early era of the Cold War (including the Vietnam War) as a member of the United States black operations unit known as the SOG.

Treyarch region locks DLC again (on Xbox 360)

SammydesinasNL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SammydesinasNL

Living in the UK with a Dutch gamertag I cannot download the First Strike map pack. I had similar problems with World at war.  So as the title suggests, it is impossible to buy the DLC in a region different to the location of your gamertag. It isn't possible to change your gamertag's region. 

First I couldn't download the map pack because 'it wasn't available in my region' (even though people in the UK can still get it) so I got a friend in the Netherlands to recover my Gamertag and purchase the map pack. I was hoping that this would allow me to download it (as I would be able to simply 'download again'). So after trying to download it again, my download stops at 98% giving me an error ('cannot download First strike map pack'). So I have spent 1200 MS points on a map pack, but none of the maps show up in the game. When looking at the map pack in the 'memory' section of my xbox, it has a large exlamation mark as an icon.

Of course I wasn't the only person to get screwed. Several gamers including military personnel stationed abroad, are having problems downloading the map pack (as seen on the official xbox forum: http://forums.xbox.com/16/35677497/ShowPost.aspx#35677497     

A solution found by one person on the forums is to use a proxy via a laptop to continue the download after 98%. Only problem being this breaches Microsoft's ToU so it can get you banned. 

So whadda ya guys think? Angry letters or ranting?
    ShinjiEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#2  Edited By ShinjiEx

Xbox says blame the country & region etc.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By toowalrus

Bummer, if I was still living in New Zealand, I'd be... well, not pissed, not even upset, I haven't played Black Ops in a month. But I understand your pain.

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By SuperWristBands

That's a bummer. What do companies gain out of region locking digital content?

Hell, I'm a little ignorant on the details, but why region lock in the first place? On any game, disc or otherwise? I've never really understood.

SammydesinasNL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SammydesinasNL
    @Sasran said:
    "That's a bummer. What do companies gain out of region locking digital content?  Hell, I'm a little ignorant on the details, but why region lock in the first place? On any game, disc or otherwise? I've never really understood."
    No idea. The only reason I can think of is the fact that there is a seperate  pack for Germany due to censorship of Nazi symbols. The pack I'm trying to download however, should by identical to teh English, American and definitely Dutch version of the game.
    @TooWalrus said:
    "I haven't played Black Ops in a month. But I understand your pain. "
    I stopped playing BLOPS a while ago but I really want the new zombie map. Played it for a bit, probably not worth 1200 MS points on its own. But still, I can't get my money back. 

@ShinjiEx said:
    "Xbox says blame the country & region etc. "

Yeah, but the Black Ops and World at War map packs seem to be the only ones that people are having problems with.
    Solution2All

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Solution2All

This happened to me when downloading the First Strike expansion for Black Ops. I am using Windows 7 and connect to my ISP through a wireless router. I actually downloaded the content without using this method, but it got to 98% or 99% and then stopped. I kept trying to complete it but the same thing happened every time and said that it was restricted because of my region. What you need to do is this:

1. Go to http://www.identitycloaker.com and download Identity Cloaker. Unfortunately it is not free, but you can get the 10-day trial for like 5 euro or $7 something. I'm not sure if they have a free trial.

2. After you download and install, go to the top right corner of the screen and there should be a button that says "Launch Open VPN". Click it and download the virtual drivers for it.

3. When the OpenVPN installs, go to it in the taskbar (it should be 2 little red computers in the corner), and click the country you originally purchased the xbox and game (the only countries the program contains are Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Ireland, Netherlands, Sweden, UK, and USA). When it works, the 2 computers should turn green.

4. Go to xbox.com and purchase the expansion pack from your PC.

5. Turn on your xbox, go to your active downloads folder and it should have started downloading. It should keep downloading until you get to 98% or 99% and then stop. Now is when it says "Can not download .....". If it says this before the 99%, say at 5%, turn your xbox off and on and it should continue.

6. Run an ethernet cable from your PC to the Xbox. Leave your xbox on for a minute or so, giving your computer time to recognize that it is now connected to an xbox, make sure that on your xbox under network settings it is on wired and everything is automatic, not manually configured, and then turn it off.

7. Then go to your adapter settings on your PC. Right-click the new Local Area Connection that was created when you installed the virtual drivers (mine was called Local Area Connection 2). After you right-click it, go to properties and then the tab that says Sharing.

8. In the sharing tab, check the box where it says "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet Connection" and in the drop down menu below, select "Local Area Connection"

9. Under the drop down menu in the same tab (Sharing), click on settings and make sure everything is checked (not sure if everything needs to be, but that's what I did), especially the 4 boxes that should say Xbox. Then click OK, and OK again.

10. Turn on your xbox; make sure the connection is on wired, as it should be; check to see if you're connected to xbox live; and then go to the marketplace, select the add-on you have already downloaded, and click download again. It should start at 1% and then jump right to 98% and finish.

That's all it takes. If you have any problems, which I did, the customer support people for the program can help out. Enjoy the new maps!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.