Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Oct 23, 2007

Dracula is still a threat in this updated version of Castlevania: Rondo of Blood, remade with 3D graphics for the Playstation Portable. Also included on the disc is the original PC-Engine Super CD-ROM2 version of Rondo of Blood as well as the sequel, Symphony of the Night.

this a good first castlevania game?

kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By kashif1

ive never actually played the games, is this a good place to start?

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By luce

Its pretty hard but its basically 3 games in one. If you could survive long enough to unlock Symphony of the night and the later come back to the main game, go for it.

I ended up liking the Rondo of Blood Remake more than SotN

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By IBurningStar

I'd say SotN is the best place to start. It isn't the hardest Castlevania game out there, but it isn't a pushover. It is also the beginning of what you may call modern Castlevania. When people think of the series now most of them think of a big map for to explore as you wish, fight tons of enemies, and discover new items and abilities that let you access other parts of the game world.

Avatar image for bootlessdragoon
    BootlessDragoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By BootlessDragoon
    @IBurningStar: I've played previous installments of Castlevania before, but none of them really kept me interested until Rondo came along. I've read over and over that SotN is amazing, but I couldn't stay interested. I think Rondo is a great place to start, but I haven't found any other Castlevania games that I've wanted to complete besides Rondo. I'm even thinking about getting a Wii just to play the original version (or as close as I can get). 
    Tiwi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Tiwi
    @luce said:

" Its pretty hard but its basically 3 games in one. If you could survive long enough to unlock Symphony of the night and the later come back to the main game, go for it.  I ended up liking the Rondo of Blood Remake more than SotN "

I think you're crazy. I think the game play in SotN is MUCH tighter, tho there's less of a challenge once you get the shield rod. in reality that's the closest you could get to a cheat in that game.

Edit: they're both great games though. don't disagree with that.
    sterbacblu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By sterbacblu

Castlevania is my favorite series and I think this is a great place to start.  Castlevania, in 2D at least, is split up into two segments.  The early Castlevania games were action-platformers, most of which were fairly linear, games like this and Castlevania 3 being some exceptions.  After this title, the series went mostly into a direction that was similar to the Metroid games, where you are set at the start of one giant level (usually just a castle) and you have to explore it, picking up items and power-ups that will help you progress further in until you reach you ultimate goal.   

This game, as you're probably aware, is a remake of Rondo of Blood which was part of the "bridge" between those two segments.  The other part, which is conveniently on this UMD, is Symphony of the Night, the game that started the Metroidvania half of the 2D Castlevanias, and also happens to be my favorite game of all time.  Now it's not to say old style Castlevania games haven't been made since SotN, but that is where the series leaned for a while.  Give this game a go, unlock SotN, and right there you have the best entry into both worlds of 2D Castlevania.

Mystyr_E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

#7  Edited By Mystyr_E

if you had a DS, I'd recommend Dawn or Ecclesia more. Rondo might be a good game but it's hard as shit

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By luce
    @tiwi said:
    " @luce said:

" Its pretty hard but its basically 3 games in one. If you could survive long enough to unlock Symphony of the night and the later come back to the main game, go for it.  I ended up liking the Rondo of Blood Remake more than SotN "

I think you're crazy. I think the game play in SotN is MUCH tighter, tho there's less of a challenge once you get the shield rod. in reality that's the closest you could get to a cheat in that game.  Edit: they're both great games though. don't disagree with that. "
    Actually, they're both completely different types of games with similar mechanics. The movement and combat in Sotn is MUCH more loose/forgiving because it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. Timing doesn't come into play in Sotn while in Rondo it's crucial.  

You could, however, argue that Sotn is a deeper game, but I actually appreciate the simplicity of classic Castlevania games. Metroidvanias just seem like they have too many mechanics and not all of them are really fleshed out enough to matter. 

But yeah. Both great games

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.