Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Chivalry II

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Jun 08, 2021

Chivalry II is the sequel to Torn Banner Studios' 2012 medieval combat simulator.

Anyone playing this?

ivanetc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Been seeing tons of videos of this on Highlight Reel and on social media and, gotta say, it looks pretty fun and incredibly satisfying to play. Thinking about snagging it on PC but, since money is always tight, I wanted to first see if anyone here has been playing it and what their thoughts are?

Sound away.

Strathy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

If you're down for some knock-about fun and learning systems (it's a bit of a FPS fighting game) rather than deep progression systems and battle passes then I think it's pretty neat.

Avatar image for atheistpreacher
    AtheistPreacher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I posted about it briefly in "A positive thread about what you're currently playing." Because I'm lazy, I'll first just copy and paste that here:

Picked up Chivalry 2 a couple of days ago after watching the Nextlander guys stream it and looking at some reviews. It helped that it's 40 bones new instead of 60 or 70. After the requisite hour or two of getting my ass kicked while I learned and got used to the combat, I really started to enjoy myself a lot. I play more single-player and cooperative games than I do competitive ones, partly because they have a tendency to just stress me out when I or my team are losing badly, but this game avoids that for a number of reasons. First, there appears to be no stat tracking, so you can't obsess over your W/L or K/D ratio even if you wanted to. Second, there are enough players to a team that if you're losing you know it's really not all your fault; there are thirty other players who are losing it with you. Finally, it very much doesn't take itself too seriously. E.g., some of the battle cries are ridiculous--my favorite is "For that guy we like!" All in all, it's the kind of low-stakes competitive multiplayer nonsense I can appreciate.

To add a little to the above, FWIW I have it on PS5, and managed to rope in three friends. The funny thing we discovered was that even though all versions have cross-play, you can't party up between versions, even the PS4 and PS5 versions. The weird band-aid solution for PS5 players is to download and play the PS4 version when they want to party up with PS4-only friends (you get both the PS5 and PS4 versions when you buy it from the digital storefront), which sucks only because the framerate gets cut in half. And also there seems to be even odds that PS4 and PS5 party members will be split between two different teams, but this can be managed by switching teams as the match starts.

I don't know if any of that sort of weirdness has PC equivalents. But putting some of the weird bugginess aside, I continue to have a good time with it. I find it worthwhile for the budget price. It takes some time to get the combat down, but once you do it stays pretty engaging. I do hope they'll continue to add more maps, which sounds like the plan.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

It's fun first and foremost. There's not much progression to speak of, although you do unlock a few different sub-classes and weapons as you gain XP, so you're mainly there for the moment to moment action and stupidity.

My main knock against it is the lack of content at the moment. The objective-based maps are where I have the most fun and I think there are only 4 or 5 of those total.

For an online melee-focussed first person game it actually plays quite well, the systems have some depth to them and the general game feel is good.

Gundato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Gundato

Yeah. Been dipping in and out since a bit after release

When the game is fun, it is amazing. Flanking the enemy to slaughter their archers. Holding the line at a choke point. Crawling away from a melee and hoping one of the archers cares enough to pick you up. It is great. And I love that the approach to combat favors one on multiple combat. Very much distinguishes Chiv 2 from Mordhau in that it is a lot better for actual battlefield fighting (and the devs aren't fucking openly Nazis!). Can get frustrating when someone with a two-hander basically throws up a deflection arc but it feels good and encourages actual timing and teamwork.

But... there is no progression, really. Sure you can unlock new weapon types and even some new class abilities but none of those really feel meaningful. I like that it is a mostly even playing field but I also like seeing numbers go up. And maybe it is just my broken brain but it makes me think there are better ways I can be wasting my evening

Also, for a game that leans as heavily in to fashion as this does, it is kind of annoying that I can't mirror even something as simple as the human under all the armor. Four classes across three factions makes me rapidly say "fuck it" and not experiment with my costumes that much.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.