Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Colony Wars

Franchise »

A trilogy a flight simulator games developed and produced by Psygnosis. You assume the role of a different pilot for each game in the trilogy.

Who Wants A New Colony Wars?

TonyBlue87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By TonyBlue87
    Colony Wars 1 is by far my favorite PS1 game and one of my favorite games period.  I still actively pop the disk into my PS3 and will play through the entire campaign.  The cinematic feel was incredible, the controls were silk, and the sound design blew my mind.  So much of it still holds up to this day.

Having said that, it's sad to see that space shooters are practically nonexistent in this generation of gaming.  The only notable attempt I can think of is Project Sylpheed, but that game suffered from weird controls (half push the stick to turn, full stick to roll?) and neon-induced seizures.  I've yet to see a game that gives you the full freedom Colony Wars provided.

So who wants to see a new entry to this franchise?  Personally I'd want the original entry to be the template for the series.  Using Vengeance would be alright, but the story was pretty blah.  And Red Sun was terrible; horrid frame rate, lame static-filled sound design, and now you're a mercenary with no sides taken in the war.  OOH! Original.

Ok, end digression.

If this series came back to consoles I'm pretty sure I'd die of excitement.  If it's done right, it could really reinvigorate the space shooter genre.

Anyone share my sentiments?
    deathstroke75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By deathstroke75

Sentiment is shared, loved the first one...kinda tapered off with the other two.  I did see that Halo Reach's space combat seemed very similar to CW, X weapon for shield takedown, Y weapon for hull damage, etc. I'm hoping they put CW up on PSN as a classic.  I think they really need to revive the space sim shooter genre as a whole.  I'm very interested in seeing what the new Twisted Metal does, as it could say a lot about reviving dormant genres.

Shakezula84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Shakezula84

I really wish this game would get a modern sequel. Who owns the rights to this game now?

I'd accept any form of sequel right now (I also really enjoyed the story). A digital download, a full retail release, something.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.