mrhankey's Cryostasis (PC) review

LSD IS AWESOME

Cryostasis: The Sleep of Reason, and why drugs are awesome

Most games just entertain me...just barely. Few have me jump, scratch my head, and yell expletives all at the same time. Cryostasis does just that. It's not necessarily a horror game, but it's definitely not your typical first person shooter.  In fact, like a lot of games coming out of Russia (STALKER and Metro), this game prides itself on looks, sound, and story. Now then, without further ado, here are the pros and cons of this game:

Pros

• Graphics (Ice and water never looked so good)
  • Sound design
  • Story (told in three different ways)
  • Intense/Nerve Wrecking
  • Unique way of giving out health
  • Minimalistic HUD

Cons

• Graphics (you're going to need a hell of a system)
  • Gun play
  • Crashes more towards the end of the game
  • Incoherent until the end

Let's be honest, it's hard to find a perfect game out today. Battlefield has bugs, Call of Duty has hackers, and some games are just boring now. Cryostasis: The Sleep of Reason does a few things one may never expect. The story is told through a series of flashbacks, mental echos, and a parallel story, and none of it will be coherent until the final chapter. To be honest, for $12 on STEAM, can you go wrong? If you want to experience the arctic, aboard a nuclear tanker, having bad LSD trips, and yelling expletives because the game is hard, health is distributed in such a fashion that you're always nervous, and enemies come out of nowhere, then buy this game. All of its backwardness is made up through the Story and awesome boss fight at the end. If you've never played a Russian game...start here.