Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Crysis

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 13, 2007

As Nomad, an elite soldier outfitted in a state-of-the-art Nanosuit that gives him superhuman abilities, infiltrate a North Korean-held island to rescue captured scientists... and face a reawakening ancient evil that threatens the entire world. Crysis is well known for its high system requirements and top of the line graphics.

Crysis Hitting XBLA October 4th

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Cincaid

Source

So in just one week Xbox 360 owners can get their hands on Crysis for 1600 ms points ($20) - I assume it's the same for PSN. Will you get it, and what're your thoughts on this release?

A "modified and enhanced" version of 2007's well-regarded PC shooter Crysis 1, this new version will feature optimised Nanosuit controls, fine-tuned combat and full stereoscopic 3D support, all built around the CryEngine 3, er, engine.

What we've seen so far looks pretty snazzy, expecially for an XBLA title. But then the game upon which it is based is famous for its eye-melting visuals, so that's perhaps not too surprising.

Now I'll sit back and watch the PC crowd bash us console users. :)

UPDATE:

The EA press release states that Crysis is to release on "Xbox LIVE," rather than XBLA specifically. This, coupled with the presumed size of the game (XBLA has a cap), has lead Ripten to suggest that Crysis will be released as part of the Games on Demand service. We've asked EA for clarification.

UPDATE2:

EA have confirmed that Crysis is a Games on Demand title, not XBLA. Sorry for the confusion.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By benjaebe

So weird that it's an XBLA release. I'll be getting it on PS3 since I enjoyed Crysis on PC, if only to finally prove that my PS3 can run Crysis.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Jack268

Nah, I already have the game. I don't mind console users getting the game, but if the controls are staying the same as they are with the 360 pad on the PC, it's gonna be pretty bad. Also, some of the visual changes are downright terrible.

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By time allen

hmm. waiting for the demo. fucking destroyed my pc once i got to the ship, so if the controls are good it's a possibility that i'll pick it up.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By ajamafalous
    @Jack268 said:

Also, some of the visual changes are downright terrible.

Are there comparison shots anywhere?
    Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Contro

I don't fancy playing it again unless there are radical changes. I wonder how big the file-size is...

edit:

This has to be Games on Demand, you couldn't run Crysis, as PC gamers know it, compressed as fuck on XBLA.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

If it's 20 bucks, it'll be Games on Demand, not XBLA. XBLA refers to the MS Point-based arcade titles, XBLM is the Marketplace itself. Nothing is 'on' XBLA, it's on XBLM.

Bonus is that Crysis probably has 1000 points.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Vexxan

XBLA?

What.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9  Edited By Cincaid

@Brodehouse: @Vegsen:

They updated the news story just now:

The EA press release states that Crysis is to release on "Xbox LIVE," rather than XBLA specifically. This, coupled with the presumed size of the game (XBLA has a cap), has lead Ripten to suggest that Crysis will be released as part of the Games on Demand service. We've asked EA for clarification.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RE_Player1

Any word if that will be the PSN release date? If they have a PS+ discount like most of the other PSN releases, From Dust and Limbo being $12 the first week instead of $15, I might pick it up.

JerichoBlyth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By JerichoBlyth

A lot of people fail to realise that Crysis was a rubbish game. It just looked pretty.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@JerichoBlyth said:

A lot of people fail to realise that Crysis was a rubbish game. It just looked pretty.

In other words, you haven't really played it much. Cool, thanks for the input.

Packie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Packie

I'm getting it on PSN. My only gripe with this release is that they're using the vastly inferior Crysis 2 suit control scheme instead of the first one(sprinting costs energy, who the heck thought of that). I'm also curious how the framerate will hold up since Crysis 2 on PS3 had a pretty ass framerate occasionally.

Crixaliz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Crixaliz

Hmm, I was hoping to use the points I have left on my account.

I'll probably won't get it day-one if it isn't on XBLA

JerichoBlyth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By JerichoBlyth

@SeriouslyNow said:

@JerichoBlyth said:

No, no, it was really quite rubbish.

The controls were clunky, the AI was terrible (in fact, it was nearly as bad as Far Cry's - a series infamous for its terrible AI) the game's pacing was terrible...the one word that sums it up is 'clunky' - it's the first that comes to mind whenever anybody brings up Crysis to me.

I have played and beaten Crysis. I own a Radeon HD 5770 series card and therefore got the 'most' out of the title. However, I cannot say I enjoyed the experience. It was a case of waiting for it to get better as I progressed. It never did really.

I had heard SO much about it and all I had heard was AMAZING things. But now I realise that the only reason people talked so much about it was because I couldn't run it at one point. It was like being in some exclusive members club.

The graphics were mindblowing...but if I wanted to look at pretty images I would watch Planet Earth on blu-ray or something.

The physics were the best I've ever seen in any game...ever....but the gameplay sucked balls, so you couldn't really get the most out of the physics. For example, I wanted to bury an entire squad under rubble or even flatten them with a truck but by the time I finally manage to do it through the clunkiness of it all, I didn't care.

The music also made my eyes narrow.

Enough input? I sum up points most of the time because this is a forum. I get paid to write normally lol

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@JerichoBlyth said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

@JerichoBlyth said:

The controls were clunky, the AI was terrible (in fact, it was nearly as bad as Far Cry's - a series infamous for its terrible AI) the game's pacing was terrible...the one word that sums it up is 'clunky' - it's the first that comes to mind whenever anybody brings up Crysis to me.

I have played and beaten Crysis. I own a Radeon HD 5770 series card and therefore got the 'most' out of the title. However, I cannot say I enjoyed the experience. It was a case of waiting for it to get better as I progressed. It never did really.

I had heard SO much about it and all I had heard was AMAZING things. But now I realise that the only reason people talked so much about it was because I couldn't run it at one point. It was like being in some exclusive members club.

The graphics were mindblowing...but if I wanted to look at pretty images I would watch Planet Earth on blu-ray or something.

The physics were the best I've ever seen in any game...ever....but the gameplay sucked balls, so you couldn't really get the most out of the physics. For example, I wanted to bury an entire squad under rubble or even flatten them with a truck but by the time I finally manage to do it through the clunkiness of it all, I didn't care.

Enough input? I sum up points most of the time because this is a forum. I get paid to write normally lol

Blahblablah* You're playing it wrong and your PC is underpowered, stop being a noob. Play it like a Ninja or go home. The game is great and you write like a poorly educated person.

I have been a games journalist and if you're a paid writer then you should have a better vocabulary on hand. So far you've reiterated your opinion with nothing more than more opinion and awfully selected adjective structure most of which consists of you repeating the word 'clunky'. Clunky correctly describes your ability to convey an idea, from you've shared with me at any rate.

The controls are not clunky, especially not in terms of combat on foot (the vehicles can take some getting used to in the jeep but F1 is your friend, something I'm absolutely sure you don't know about). It plays like almost every other decent FPS only it's quicker and more responsive than most because of its orientation around being a super soldier in an augmented suit. Now, unless you can explain properly with adjectives beyond 'clunky' exactly why the game's controls were poor to you I can only assume that you don't really know because the issue of them being poor has more to do with you than it does the game. Saying you have some low to midrange ATI card doesn't tell me much about the rest of your PC, nor does it detail what kind of performance you get from it. If your framerate was consistently low then the controls, much like the rest of the game, would feel unresponsive and that's all I can assume from what you've told me because my experience with the game changed quite drastically as I went from a Core2Duo e6750 to an i5 750 based machine, even with using the same 9600GT; the game was completely playable after the upgrade and I played it through to completion then and only then because the game prior had been almost unplayable to me.

You then talk about the game's progress but you don't explain why it didn't progress well in your view. I will say the plot lacked completion (Prophet's story is never fully realised, nor is his return to Island explained in any conclusive way) but the game did a really good job of tutorialising the controls, starting with small missions and consistently expanding them into larger and larger areas which culminated in a couple of larger battles (once again it presented some poor controls in terms of vehicles, specifically the VTOL which was definitely not as responsive as it could've been) where you really get to see the scale and capability of the game as it stretches its legs. Of course, if you had a shitty framerate that scale would make the game experience get more and more impenetrable because less of the imposing experience would happen for you and more lag would creep further in and this is, again, what I assume was your experience unless you played the game in 1024x768 or lower res because that 5770 isn't much to write home about.

The physics are certainly impressive at lower framerates but when the game runs properly you actually get to see just how low impact they are when compare with more modern games. In 2006 they seemed impressive, now they just seem passable.

The music is a matter of taste and I can only say that it did what it was meant to do; be war movie like with a hint of alien invasion stylings.

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By time allen

@SeriouslyNow said:

@JerichoBlyth said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

@JerichoBlyth said:

Blahblablah* You're playing it wrong and your PC is underpowered, stop being a noob. Play it like a Ninja or go home. The game is great and you write like a poorly educated person.

I have been a games journalist and if you're a paid writer then you should have a better vocabulary on hand. So far you've reiterated your opinion with nothing more than more opinion and awfully selected adjective structure most of which consists of you repeating the word 'clunky'. Clunky correctly describes your ability to convey an idea, from you've shared with me at any rate.

The controls are not clunky, especially not in terms of combat on foot (the vehicles can take some getting used to in the jeep but F1 is your friend, something I'm absolutely sure you don't know about). It plays like almost every other decent FPS only it's quicker and more responsive than most because of its orientation around being a super soldier in an augmented suit. Now, unless you can explain properly with adjectives beyond 'clunky' exactly why the game's controls were poor to you I can only assume that you don't really know because the issue of them being poor has more to do with you than it does the game. Saying you have some low to midrange ATI card doesn't tell me much about the rest of your PC, nor does it detail what kind of performance you get from it. If your framerate was consistently low then the controls, much like the rest of the game, would feel unresponsive and that's all I can assume from what you've told me because my experience with the game changed quite drastically as I went from a Core2Duo e6750 to an i5 750 based machine, even with using the same 9600GT; the game was completely playable after the upgrade and I played it through to completion then and only then because the game prior had been almost unplayable to me.

You then talk about the game's progress but you don't explain why it didn't progress well in your view. I will say the plot lacked completion (Prophet's story is never fully realised, nor is his return to Island explained in any conclusive way) but the game did a really good job of tutorialising the controls, starting with small missions and consistently expanding them into larger and larger areas which culminated in a couple of larger battles (once again it presented some poor controls in terms of vehicles, specifically the VTOL which was definitely not as responsive as it could've been) where you really get to see the scale and capability of the game as it stretches its legs. Of course, if you had a shitty framerate that scale would make the game experience get more and more impenetrable because less of the imposing experience would happen for you and more lag would creep further in and this is, again, what I assume was your experience unless you played the game in 1024x768 or lower res because that 5770 isn't much to write home about.

The physics are certainly impressive at lower framerates but when the game runs properly you actually get to see just how low impact they are when compare with more modern games. In 2006 they seemed impressive, now they just seem passable.

The music is a matter of taste and I can only say that it did what it was meant to do; be war movie like with a hint of alien invasion stylings.

this is fucking hilarious keep it up guys

JerichoBlyth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By JerichoBlyth

It's good to troll.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jack268

@ajamafalous said:

@Jack268 said:

I've seen one where I could hardly recognize that it was the same area of the game, but I didn't save it unfortunately.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By ajamafalous
    @Jack268 said:

@ajamafalous said:

@Jack268 said:

I've seen one where I could hardly recognize that it was the same area of the game, but I didn't save it unfortunately.

There's one in the comments of Patrick's article.
    Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Contro

@SeriouslyNow:

I play it like Rambo. I got the impression some gamers approached the gameplay possibilities too tamely, and in fairness to those such people, that may have been in part to the bullet damage, physics and AI being slightly wayward upon initial release. I do think that many who dislike the game even today, lack imagination ultimately. They were given all these awesome abilities, yet they played likes pussies in cloak half the time, while not taking full advantage of the excellently realised physical world. On the other hand, there were others, who took a more adventurous and strategic approach to the gameplay. For me, Crysis is all about surveying the environment and planning a symphony of carnage, tagging everyone in sight while in cloak, then choosing the most effective or grand point of entry, which for me usually meant a big explosion so I could concentrate all foes in one area. I liked toying with the games AI

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @OtakuGamer said:
    Damn, i wanted it be an XBLA release. Needed a trial version.
    Its way to big to be a XLBA release. 
    Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jack268

So how are the controls then? I presume it's out now yes?

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@Contro said:

@SeriouslyNow:

I play it like Rambo. I got the impression some gamers approached the gameplay possibilities too tamely, and in fairness to those such people, that may have been in part to the bullet damage, physics and AI being slightly wayward upon initial release. I do think that many who dislike the game even today, lack imagination ultimately. They were given all these awesome abilities, yet they played likes pussies in cloak half the time, while not taking full advantage of the excellently realised physical world. On the other hand, there were others, who took a more adventurous and strategic approach to the gameplay. For me, Crysis is all about surveying the environment and planning a symphony of carnage, tagging everyone in sight while in cloak, then choosing the most effective or grand point of entry, which for me usually meant a big explosion so I could concentrate all foes in one area. I liked toying with the games AI

Basically, yep. That's how I approach the game too. You're meant to be a highly trained special ops super soldier, not some pussy in powered suit.

peacebrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#26  Edited By peacebrother

@Contro said:

@SeriouslyNow:

VictorK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By VictorK

It has not yet come out here in Sweden. Has it been released anywhere else?

peacebrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By peacebrother

It's out here in Canada, but I wasn't able to see it on the Xbox. I had to go to xbox.com to buy it, and then add it to the download queue.

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Contro

Looks a little clunky... control wise, which is to be expected I suppose.

XenoNick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#31  Edited By XenoNick

It's been pulled from the marketplace on the 360 as the achievements have not been added to Xbox.com. 

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-9737-Crysis-Achievements-are-Missing-in-Action.html
    VictorK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#32  Edited By VictorK
    @XenoNick said:
    It's been pulled from the marketplace on the 360 as the achievements have not been added to Xbox.com. 
    http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-9737-Crysis-Achievements-are-Missing-in-Action.html
    I just downloaded it through xbox.com. It is still avaliable there, at least here in Sweden. 
    I have yet not played it though, and I´ll wait till they fix the achievment issue.
    peacebrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By peacebrother

Achievements are up on xbox.com

EvilNiGHTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34  Edited By EvilNiGHTS

The recent XBLM trend of releasing games directly to Games On Demand is a little odd. And is if to rub it in the PC version is on 75% off on Steam right now. I actually did the classic "bought in a Steam sale and never even installed it" earlier this year, so there's no reason for me to pick it up on console. Certainly doesn't hurt for anyone who wants to play it and doesn't own an adequate PC.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.