Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Apr 01, 2015

A remastered release of Dark Souls II, featuring a graphical upgrade, increased online player limit, remixed locations for items and enemies, and includes all of the previously released DLC.

Worth finishing for III, given the point I'm at?

Avatar image for a_cute_squirtle
    A_Cute_Squirtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By A_Cute_Squirtle

I know there are other threads/places dedicated to the question of "Do I need to play DS1 or DS2 to play 3?" My question is a bit more specific.

I'm currently at Shrine of Amana. I don't know if I can be assed going much further. I can't put my finger on it--it's not the world design/discrete realms--but something keeps turning me off of the game. It doesn't help that the part I'm at is relentlessly frustrating, or how the ugliness of the entire game makes each discovery a "Woof, this looks bad." I played Bloodborne after Dark Souls 1, which spoiled me a bit. BB had a wonderful engine that I adored exploring. I'm anxious to get a prettier Dark Souls experience. I know, it's a very shallow complaint, but I'd rather have grimy textures in Bloodborne's engine than DS1's.

Will I get most of the callbacks in 3 if I jump out at this point? I plan on watching story summary videos for both regardless, but I wanted to ask in case someone out there had an extreme case for "No, finish it, trust me."

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
    Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Redhotchilimist

You'll be fine.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Well, sounds like you already answered your own question? I don't think story wise it has much to do with 3 so if you don't like it hop on 3. I'm playing vanilla DS2 for the first time on pc right now, and with a few shader mods and 1440p resolution it looks fucking amazing. I also hear DS3 runs better than bloodborne on ps4 so i don't think you should slog through a game you don't like.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By TobbRobb

No just skip it, the end game is terrible. The remaining areas are all bad, and so are most of the bosses. Only real exception is Velstadt, but he's not so amazing that I'd tell you to go through shrine of banana for it. Actually I guess the boss you are heading up on isn't awful either. Kind of a cool design.

If you had the urge to invest the time to try and fight the Darklurker, I'd say that might be worth it. But that's entirely optional insofar as beating the game.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I personally would say just jump to 3. Unless you're worried about being totally lost should you revisit 2 later.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Beat II while you are so far into it. You aren't too far from the end at this point.

Use a guide if you want to speed things up but it's worth finishing I think, especially if you haven't already bought III. Some of my favourite bosses are still ahead of you.

III is fantastic though so you can't go wrong either way.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I keep seeing people say that DS2 is ugly and I don't see it, I've been playing the Xbox One version off and on for a few months and it looks great to me.

You don't have too much more to go but you do still have a few hours. If you're really disliking it, just move on to 3.

bmehlers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played through Dark Souls 2 on ps3 when it came out, but am thinking about playing through Scholar of the First Sin on PS4 to play the dlc. Is it worth it to see the dlc, or should I just play 3? I've heard the dlc is very good, but not sure if it's worth the time investment.

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know man, you have like five more areas to go, at least. To me, that wasn't "pretty close" to the end. Shrine of Amana was easily one of the most infuriating areas, too; it's just target practice for mages all the way through for no particular reason. Separately, the DLC is also really fucking hard, and the payoff loot isn't worth it if you don't plan on a NG+. I'm glad I played DS2 to completion, but if you're sick of it, then just bail. It is a looooong game.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By beforet

Shrine of Amana is one of the suckiest parts of the game. I ended up getting passed most of it by just grinding out the enemies' respawns so that it was a clear path. I'd say keep going, just because I like DK2. Obviously, you won't have to worry about story or anything like that

Edit: If you don't want to continue the main plot, I'd say give the DLC areas a look before dropping the game. That has been some of my favorite Dark Souls content so far (have not played 3 yet) with some really good bosses.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

I love DS2, that area is one of the worst in the game, but you are safe to jump to 3.

The DLC is wonderful for that game, though, so maybe revisit someday?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.