Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls III

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Mar 24, 2016

This game melds elements from all previous Souls games and concludes the Dark Souls trilogy.

DS3 Downloadable in English through JP Xbox store

Homelessbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Homelessbird

So uh... I appear to have a full, working copy of the English version of Dark Souls 3 running on my Xbox One right now, 18 days before the street date in the US, without any sort of piracy.

Basically, I happened across this reddit thread today: https://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls3JPN/comments/48ko5f/will_the_japanese_version_be_released_for_ps4

Inside it, I found step by step instructions for putting a bunch of yen in an existing Microsoft account using paypal and JP Xbox store cards, after which you switch your region over to Japan, buy Dark Souls 3, switch back to US, and then download it. What you end up with is a full version of the game in English. I've played up through about the first hour, and the only thing it seems to be missing is online play (which I assume will be available on the 4/12 Western release date, but I really don't know).

Honestly, I have no idea if this will get you banned or not. I'm pretty sure there's nothing illegal about it, but the whole process seems kind of shady, and I was extremely trepidatious about doing it myself, but against my better judgement I mucked around with it anyway, and I'll be damned if it didn't work extremely smoothly. So while I won't exactly vouch for doing this, it worked for me, and I felt you guys should know about it. They might also patch the loophole, so if you do intend to give this a try, I would advise trying it sooner than later.

Edit: and just as I post this, I decide to google and realize I've been scooped by Scoops! http://kotaku.com/dark-souls-3-can-be-played-right-now-on-xbox-one-using-1766717126

Looks like it won't get you banned - it's just kind of a pain in the ass to do (which I CAN vouch for)

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Efesell

Hows the framerate on that version? I've been staring at the checkout for these yen cards all evening and it seems like a bad idea but that's rarely stopped me.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Justin258

I shouldn't... I really do want to play it on PC at a higher resolution and framerate... but then again, GBeast did experience some crashes...

Homelessbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@efesell: Seems a little choppy, but I haven't spent a ton of time with it yet, so I don't know if it's area-specific (game's actually still downloading at the moment). Hasn't been a big deal for me, but YMMV, as I'm not a huge stickler for framerate.

Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh why not. I can handle Bloodborne quality and it's not like I've ever had a history of amazing performance with the Souls series.

I'll probably end up with it on PC anyway eventually because I'm a fool.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@savage: Good to know nothing has changed.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Hope the framerate holds up a little bit better on PS4, I got that version pre-ordered.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I just did it on Xbox One, it worked perfectly doing it with a paypal account was pretty effortless. Fuck it I couldn't wait three weeks.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i wonder if the japanese steam has the english version...

(yes i'm being facetious)

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Does this still work?

Nach0Sanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I managed to get it last thursday, I bought it on the xbox.jp store, I made a dummy account and then I put it onto my xbone. You don't have to change the region on it, as long as you set the dummy account to japan when you make it on the computer. I will say, the game feels a little empty without runes and bloodstains littering the ground (Its completely offline right now.) The framerate is manageable, it actually brings me back to memories of chugging on ds1 on my 360 as I run through blight town and undead burg. Also I will able to be that monster who invades people on day one with all kinds of fucked up weapons!

No Caption Provided

Guru53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61
    deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

@nach0sanchez: You didn't need to create a dummy account. You just change the region on your primary account to Japan, do what you need to do to purchase, then switch back to your country to download the English version of the game. Microsoft accounts are multi-region, meaning they work everywhere.

Nach0Sanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Nach0Sanchez

@magusmaleficus: Ah well, at least they gave me the randomized name of dankcabbage. Only the dankest.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.