Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls III

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Mar 24, 2016

This game melds elements from all previous Souls games and concludes the Dark Souls trilogy.

Should I get the PC version or PS4 version?

thejke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I am worried about getting this game for the PC. The minimum specs require a nvidia 750 TI, while I have a nvidia 660 TI. I know that my card is more powerful than the minimum spec one, but it is older. I am worried because I ran into a problem with the last game I purchased, Just Cause 3. The minimum spec for that game was a 670, just ahead of what I have. The game would crash after a couple minutes, even though the game was running at a decent frame rate on medium settings. I tried many things to fix it but nothing worked. I then contacted support for the game, but they said they could not help me because my card was below the minimum spec. I am worried that something similar might happen with Dark Souls 3. Austin said that he is able to run the game fine on a 760, which should be fairly similar if not less powerful than my card, but I could run into problems with it not being optimized for my card, causing crashes.

Do you think I will be ok playing this game on PC, or should I get the PS4 version?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By mike

Get the PC version on Steam, if it doesn't run well enough, get a refund and then buy the PS4 version.

Jinoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 21

#3  Edited By Jinoru

@mike said:

Get the PC version on Steam, if it doesn't run well enough, get a refund and then buy the PS4 version.

This is great advice honestly. I was planning to stick with the PC version since that's what I've done for the rest of the series, but I'm questioning how III will run on my current rig.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By Humanity

Be aware of the fact that if you do get it on PC and you enjoy PVP then that experience might get soured as there is quite a bit of hacking that eventually leaks into these games and is poorly policed (i.e. not at all).

Other than that the above advice is quite sound as long as you don't mind the hassle of going through a refund process. This is the first Souls game I plan to play on PC mostly because I want that better framerate and if the online gets hacked to hell I won't care much as this is probably the least excited I've ever been for a Souls game to date.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got invaded yesterday on PC by someone who killed me before I was even born. Vote Trump to ensure this never happens again.

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
    ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PS4. Community is larger, and last's a lot longer. No hackers too. I also enjoying playing the version that was the creators vision. The animations look off at 60 fps. Playing these high production value triple AAA games hunched up on a 20 inch monitor isn't the way to experience these games the first time IMO. Reviews playing on 2 Titans SLI had slow downs, and crashes. If you have to get the PC version the advice above is good. If you're not happy with it go PS4.

thejke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By thejke

I forgot about refunds on Steam, probably because I haven't used it yet. I will give it a try. I couldn't get a refund on Just Cause 3 because I purchased a steam key from elsewhere. I will hopefully have the money to upgrade my PC once the new nvidia series comes out. I hope they announce and release the 1070/X70 soon. My card is really straining under the weight of new games.

zombievac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thejke said:

I am worried about getting this game for the PC. The minimum specs require a nvidia 750 TI, while I have a nvidia 660 TI. I know that my card is more powerful than the minimum spec one, but it is older. I am worried because I ran into a problem with the last game I purchased, Just Cause 3. The minimum spec for that game was a 670, just ahead of what I have. The game would crash after a couple minutes, even though the game was running at a decent frame rate on medium settings. I tried many things to fix it but nothing worked. I then contacted support for the game, but they said they could not help me because my card was below the minimum spec. I am worried that something similar might happen with Dark Souls 3. Austin said that he is able to run the game fine on a 760, which should be fairly similar if not less powerful than my card, but I could run into problems with it not being optimized for my card, causing crashes.

Do you think I will be ok playing this game on PC, or should I get the PS4 version?

Try PC first. People say it looks and runs better than on console even if you have minimum specs. You can always refund otherwise!

zombievac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

Be aware of the fact that if you do get it on PC and you enjoy PVP then that experience might get soured as there is quite a bit of hacking that eventually leaks into these games and is poorly policed (i.e. not at all).

Other than that the above advice is quite sound as long as you don't mind the hassle of going through a refund process. This is the first Souls game I plan to play on PC mostly because I want that better framerate and if the online gets hacked to hell I won't care much as this is probably the least excited I've ever been for a Souls game to date.

Everyone says that, but I've played hundreds of hours of each on PC. I never specifically noticed a hacker, and there really aren't that many of them. I'm not a hardcore PvPer, but after a while I could usually beat any invader. Plus the mods, save backups, and a plethora of other things make the PC versions so much better!

thejke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asilentprotagonist: I have a 32 inch TV connected to my computer, and a comfy chair that I pull up to my desk when I use it. I also get to use my PC speakers, which are better than the built in ones in any of the TVs in my apartment. So playing console AAA games on my computer isn't a problem.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

PC = better framerate and more cheaters PS4= lower framerate and less cheaters

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Playing PC games around minimum specs is asking for trouble. I bet the PS4 version is going to be fine and won't be a nest of rampant cheating.

zombievac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By zombievac

@asilentprotagonist said:

PS4. Community is larger, and last's a lot longer. No hackers too. I also enjoying playing the version that was the creators vision. The animations look off at 60 fps. Playing these high production value triple AAA games hunched up on a 20 inch monitor isn't the way to experience these games the first time IMO. Reviews playing on 2 Titans SLI had slow downs, and crashes. If you have to get the PC version the advice above is good. If you're not happy with it go PS4.

Patently untrue, my friend.

Even though Dark Souls was released for PC like years after the console release, and the fact that it sucked until people found and setup the DSFix mod (which was available Day 1 anyway), and the fact that many people already played on console by the time the PC release hit and didn't re-buy it... they still sold over 40% of the total sales for the game's lifetime on PC! <== That was almost unheard of at the time, for PC to outsell both consoles by a wide margin. Not to mention, the PC community is more hardcore lovers of the game and help each other out of a lot with amazing mods.

Also, who plays PC games hunched up to a monitor at a desk anymore? I certainly don't, and you don't have to either. Plus, if you have a nice 24"+ monitor at your desk, with the amazing G-Sync feature if you're lucky, they look and perform a lot better than a TV (whether hooked up to the PC or to a console).

As I mentioned in other comments, I played 300+ hours of each of the Souls games on PC, never encountered a hacker that I could tell was hacking. And I was no PvP expert by any means, but it wasn't that long before I was stomping over 50% of the invaders anyway!

To your point about SLI, as usual with most games, especially bad ports where you can't even change resolutions or up the graphical settings without DSFix, you should never expect an SLI setup to be pain-free, or possible at all. And frankly, just one of Those TITANS would be more than enough to max out the DSFix settings... shit, almost any modern card was fine. If you want to play @ 60FPS, then you need a processor with a relatively fast single core (or multiple cores is fine, but the point is it needs to be faster PER CORE than most games need), because the DSFix 60FPS implementation is processor intensive and only optimized for a single thread.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@zombievac: I guess I'll find out! I got a new video card recently and I've never played a Souls game that ran at a smooth framerate apart from Demon's Souls (and that had it's fair share of issues as well) so I'm excited to see this brave new 60FPS Souls world everyone has been talking about.

Playing PC games around minimum specs is asking for trouble. I bet the PS4 version is going to be fine and won't be a nest of rampant cheating.

I asked Mike Mahardy that reviewed the PS4 version how it performed and he seemed to think it was fine.

bigmess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going with the PS4 version for this same reason.

My PC meets the minimum specs but I doubt it would run any better than my console.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I'm going to wait for release and get the PC version if there aren't widespread reports of it crashing like it did on the Beastcast stream.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Efesell

Well I'm definitely not getting the point with the screen size thing.

zombievac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By zombievac

@asilentprotagonist said:

@efesell: Nah. Reality is a tough pill to swallow for PC gamers at times. Sooo much denial.

@zombievac: Don't know where you're going with the life time sales thing. The fact is the Playstation souls community is bigger, nicer, less cheaters, and has a much better life span. You still aren't getting the point with the screen size thing I see. Ok, then explain the 12-18 fps drops it has in one area on a single GTX 970 -_-. Just to let you know I've got a very capable PC - GTX 770, I5 3570K. I'll be getting the PC version probably down the line.

@thejke:Good for you

I'm not trying to argue... but DaS1 selling extremely well during a time when the PC port of a game very rarely sold better than either console EVEN when released at the same time, says a lot. I still see a great community on the PC versions of these games. I guess I can't prove that more or less players of the PC version are playing currently than on PS3, but all evidence I can see points to that fact...

Either way, my point really is: cheating and enough people to play with are just NOT going to be an issue worth worrying about for DS3. The series is quite popular now. The hacking prevention is better now too, and like I said, I hear people say that a lot but they often didn't play the PC version or are just parroting what someone else said. I don't know anyone that was like "oh these hackers on PC! It's terrible, they're all hacking!" It's actually a very intelligent, respectful community for the most part, unlike CoD or most free-to-play MMOs for example - which are full of idiot kids, and people from all around the world who seem to think it's cool to just be ridiculously rude at all times.

Also, GG on completely misinterpreting @efesell 's comment. He's in denial because... uhhh.... he was responding to your claim that the PC experience is marred because you assume everyone plays in the most uncomfortable way possible? (which just isn't true, and can easily be addressed if said person wanted to.)

About your FPS drops on PC, that must be your processor or an issue with your setup. I've played the game just fine at 30 FPS on many WAY shittier PCs than you claim you have. But again, it wasn't super well optimized... but nothing was worse than Blighttown on consoles! PC version for me in there was smooth as butter, 60 FPS, settings in DSFix maxed.

thejke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just remembered that I have a $5 gift card to BestBuy that is expiring next week. Combined with the gamers club discount I can get the game for $42.99 before tax. I think I might skip the PC version for now. Maybe I will pick it up for PC later, if I want to replay it, on a Steam sale.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mike

I'm aware of the strong sales on PC, but just because it sold more doesn't mean the community has stayed which is clearly hasn't.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Community not staying is a pretty bold assertion. Obviously couldn't tell you how many people are actively playing console versions right this moment but Steam can and it's a pretty decent chunk of people all things considered.

And if uncomfortable wasn't it I am curious as to what context you were attempting to create with 'hunched up on a 20'' monitor'.

zombievac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zombievac: Not going to go back in forth here. The fact is Dark Souls 3 won't have Valve Anti Cheat, so no you can't say it's "not going to be an issue"If that isn't denial from you then idk what is. its still a concern for many PC gamers, and reasonably so. I'm aware of the strong sales on PC, but just because it sold more doesn't mean the community has stayed which is clearly hasn't.

Learn to read! I never said anything about it being "uncomfortable" hahahaaha. You clearly haven't read properly when you're talking about my PC on DS3. I guess professional reviewers (PC Gamer) according to you have big issues with their PC's. I wish I did have a early copy though =P.

Argh, what can I say? You're not going to reassess your opinion no matter what everyone else here is saying or with evidence.

There's cheating on the console versions too... so it's technically a "concern" for every version, but not one that should be worried about because it's never been a really big issue, I don't care if it has VAC, it didn't before AFAIK, and DS1 or DS2 didn't seem to need it.

I don't know anything about PC Gamer's experience with DS3, but yeah if they were having large FPS drops on that setup (which would mean from 60FPS, so even with the drops it's a better framerate than the PS4, and the animations are the same at 30 vs. 60 FPS for DS3 specifically), I'm still not concerned - but I assumed you were talking about DS1, since you haven't played DS3 yet on PC with the launch day code, and PC Gamer hasn't either. I don't know why you'd assume we're discussing PC performance of DS3 when it is unreleased, and so far footage from every early review code copy is running at or near 60FPS everywhere I could see so far... but I haven't seen the entire game. I'm not worried in the least that the PC version won't definitively end up being better than the PS4 version... even if it takes a couple patches, worst case scenario.

I also obviously inferred when you were saying "hunch over a 20-inch monitor", it meant uncomfortable among other things, boy am I an idiot for inferring that!

You sure love to argue technicalities. You have nothing to back up what you've been saying except by correcting what you said afterward and repeatedly accusing me of reading poorly when I was obviously inferring things based on the rather unclear info you provided before each correction... so this will be my last comment on the matter.

Have a good day!

To the rest of you, sorry for clogging the thread a bit with a really stupid argument!

Eder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 43

Ever since Batman I just can't trust PC ports until I see how they run

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
    ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mike:Bad argument. Of course everyone's going to be playing these games now. You should've see the numbers 2-3 months ago...

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By mike

@asilentprotagonist: Isn't some data better than your statement which included no data whatsoever? I'm trying to deal with facts here, not conjecture.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Efesell

@asilentprotagonist: http://steamcharts.com/app/211420 Looks pretty solid? Considering again its status and how long it has been.

Again I don't know of any way to look at the console side of it but I kinda doubt it's burning THAT much brighter there these days.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.