Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Dark Souls challenge board, for making a new character

MysteriousFawx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MysteriousFawx

I'm sure many players here have spent a long time and a number of playthroughs building characters to suit a specific role. Now its time to see how well you can adapt and survive when forced into a specific, most likely, awkward build. With any luck you might even finish the game, feel free to brag if you do. Stat spending is entirely up to the player, however, covenants must be joined as soon as possible and gear of the correct type must be used when first obtained. I understand this isn't perfect as some equipment will take longer to gather, it does give you a more immediate goal when starting the game though. Try to complete the 'base' of your build asap.

All rolls needed for this can be done online here - http://www.brockjones.com/dieroller/dice.htm

Name, Sex, Appearance, Spells Used (if you roll a caster) and Rings are a free choice.

Class - Roll D10

RollRollRollRollRollRollRollRollRollRoll
    WarriorKnightWandererThiefBanditHunterSorcererPyromancerClericDeprived

Gift - Roll D8

RollRollRollRollRollRollRollRoll
    Divine BlessingBlack FirebombBinocularsPendantTwin HumanitiesMaster KeyTiny Being RingOld Witch Ring

Covenant - Roll D10

RollRollRollRollRollRollRollRollRollRoll
    Way of WhitePrincess GuardDarkmoon BladeWarrior of SunlightForest HunterChaos ServantGravelord ServantPath of the DragonDark WraithNo Covenant

Armor Set - Roll D12

RollRollRollRollRollRollRollRollRollRollRollRoll
    Starter Set OnlyHollow Warrior SetHollow Thief SetBalder SetElite Knight SetGold-Hemmed Black SetCatarina SetEastern SetBlack Iron SetDingy SetChanneler SetNaked + Sack

Weapon Class/Spell Allowance - Roll D12

RollRollRollRollRollRollRollRollRollRollRollRoll
    Strength
    Greatsword/Ultra Greatsword
    Strength
    Hammer/Great Hammer
    Strength + Pyro Caster
    Axe/Greataxe
    Dexterity
    Spear
    Dexterity
    Dagger/Fist Weapon
    Dexterity + Pyro Caster
    Katana
    Intelligence Caster
    Piercing Sword
    Intelligence Caster
    Halberd
    Intelligence Caster
    Sword (Standard)
    Faith Caster
    Hammer/Great Hammer
    Fatih Caster
    Whip
    Faith Caster
    Sword (Standard)

Shield - Roll D6

RollRollRollRollRollRoll
    Dual WeaponsParrying DaggerCrystal Ring ShieldBloodshieldCrest ShieldBonewheel Shield

Hope atleast a few of you duders try this out, I'm not expecting many people to see the rolled build through to the end, simply because some of them could be pure jank. As for what I ended up with? A deprived sunbro with a tiny being ring, who charges into combat wearing a channeler set with a katana and bloodshield. Plus a little pyromancy for backup.

phrali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By phrali

i'd take dark wraith out of the rolls for covenant. because four kings holy fuck.

MysteriousFawx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MysteriousFawx

@phrali: you kidding? trying to get dark wraith with a dual whips build would be fantastic....and rageworthy

phrali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By phrali

yeah that's not even fair

Avatar image for deactivated-5e28dbaa07135
    deactivated-5e28dbaa07135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can only suggest that you add an option for dual Bonewheel Shields

phrali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By phrali

also there should totally be an option for a punchyfist run.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By benspyda

Wheres my Havel's set. Still my favorite armor set for looks and stats.

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By FateOfNever

I just rolled one out to see what it would look like and ended up with 7, 1, 9, 2, 4, 2

or-

Sorcerer with Divine Blessing in Dark Wraith covenant that's stuck in Hallowed Warrior armor using a Dex Spear with a Parrying Dagger.

That sounds somewhat insane, and I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Brackstone

I got the following on my first set of rolls: deprived, divine blessing, dark wraith, catarina set, intelligence caster, sword (standard), bonewheel shield.

I'm not far into Dark Souls at the moment. I've had it since release but I just haven't had time for it. Since I'm not that far into it, I have no idea how good or bad of a character this is though, so I'm sure to be in for some fun times. I might see if I can grab a crazier one if this turns out to be a little too viable.

Vyse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Vyse

Thief, Binoculars, Princess Guard, Balder Set, Intelligence Caster Halberd, Blood Shield

Not what I would call perfect, but totally manageable.

MysteriousFawx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MysteriousFawx

@benspyda: I didn't add Havels out of a preference for getting people to use something different. I'm glad to see someone has already rolled the Intelligence Halberd combo, a caster with a scythe could be badass...but you practically never see it.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jozzy

I will try this, sounds like fun!

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

I may try the build I got for a little while. Which is a Cleric with the starter gear who duel wields dex based daggers. Also is a follower of the dragon and keeps a master key. That may prove difficult.

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By Oni

Wow I got so lucky on my first set of rolls, I might just try this.

I got Pyromancer with Master Key, in Darkmoon Blade covenant, Gold-hemmed set, Bloodshield and Faith+whip. Whip kinda sucks, and Gold-hemmed has no poise (boo) but there are worse things, and with Faith Build + Darkmoon Blade I could fuck shit up. May give this a go.

MysteriousFawx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MysteriousFawx

For anyone following, I've managed to get my deprived ass to blighttown after killing the undead merchant for my uchigatana. Not long now until both the bells will be done! Sunbro was also much easier to get thanks to the faith only being 25 now instead of 50

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By Chop

A Wanderer with a Tiny Being Ring in the path of the dragon using the Caterina Set, A Hammer, Miracles, and a...parrying dagger.

Edit: I've changed my mind. I'm not doing this build; it'll be way too effective. I could just enchant a great club and wreak everything.

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By FateOfNever

I'm still debating if I want to give this a go or not.. I'm not sure what's the earliest you can obtain a dex spear, and I'm not sure if I could suicide run into New Londo Ruins for the parrying dagger fairly early on or not. The Hollowed Warrior armor set I'm fine with. I also don't entirely mind the Dark Wraith covenant, I just wish it wasn't such a late game thing. Not that covenants affect me much anyway since I play Dark Souls offline due to not having a gold xbox account, but, Dark Wraith would at least demand that I go do the Four Kings fight with a spear and a parrying dagger...

Yeah, I think I'll probably end up giving this a go. Does anyone know what's the earliest spear you can get your hands on and if getting the parrying dagger is too far into New Londo ruins to really waste the time trying to get it right off the bat? I don't imaging running past all of those ghosts would be an easy thing to do, let alone doing it very early on.

MysteriousFawx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MysteriousFawx

@FateOfNever: First spear you can get is a drop from the undead in the Burg, the two who guard the way to the merchant. The parrying dagger is also possible to get, I've done it before on suicide runs for the Firekeeper Soul etc, but it will be a suicide run, make no mistake.

Edit - Scratch that, first spear is the Winged Spear in the graveyard behind the Firelink Shrine, most likely another suicide run with all the skeletons about.

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By FateOfNever

Well, I started doing this. I didn't get the Winged Spear, I just grabbed a regular ol' ass spear from the merchant in Undead Burg for 600 souls. I haven't gone past the first bonfire in Undead Burg and I already have the Parrying Dagger, a Spear, and all three pieces of the Hollowed Warrior gear (which I need to go take my gloves off.. apparently I don't get any gloves for this, fun times.)

The only thing my character is missing is being part of the Darkwraith covenant, but, that's a ways off. So I'm, more or less, in the gear I'll be in for the rest of the game. This is going to be brutal...

MysteriousFawx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MysteriousFawx

@FateOfNever: I've got the char I made from my roll past Anor Londo, which means 4kings then I can finally go to Dukes and get the Channeler set. Also you'll find it makes you, in a weird way, a lot better player. You'll get your rolls, dodges and parries down to an artform. I'm not saying its easy, but its a great twist on the game.

Hydra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

for my first challenge i got bandit with master key, path of the dragon, strength hammer, great hammer build with a crystal ring shield in a hollow thief set. next i got a thief that is naked with sack Gravelord dex spear using dual weapons with the old witch ring.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.