Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Demon's Greataxe

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Much like Dan, I really enjoyed Bloodborne, but wanted to give Dark Souls a shot. So I started up as a Pyro lady figuring I'd go fire spells or whatever they do as that sounds different than Bloodborne. However when I took down the Tarus demon I got the Demon's Greataxe.

I did a little poking around online and it sounds like if/when I get Strength up to 56 this thing just crushes. However, it's this worth potentially giving up on magic?

Avatar image for deactivated-5daa2dc0c43a6
    deactivated-5daa2dc0c43a6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its been a while since I played dark souls but I believe that the pyromancy flame doesn't scale with any 1 stat, it just has to be upgraded at a vendor you meet later on. So if you really want to go strength and pyro you totally could. You'll just need to put points into atunement for more spells eventually. Having said that, 56 for a weapon is crazy and imo there are much better strength weapons out there that you'll find.

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Quid_Pro_Bono

As Marco724 said, I can confirm that Pyromancy has nothing to do with your stats aside from attunement (more attunement = more slots to carry multiple spells around with you). If you want to use sorceries or miracles, however, you'll need to pump intellect/faith respectively in addition to attunement, which is where it gets stat prohibitive to pump strength as well. Pyromancy is pretty much magic for non-magic specced characters.

Ozzie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

The Pyromancy flame doesn't require intelligence but it does give you stronger bonus damage as you level it up. The only real requirement would be making sure you have slots to hold various spells.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for all your help.

NeverGameOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I'd also add that it's going to take quite a while to get up to lvl 56 strength. You probably won't have that until late game. I'd recommend the man-serpent greatsword in the meantime (drop from lizards at Sen's Fortress).

ikramit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ikramit

You will not be getting a strength of 56 on new game rather thats the kinda of number you mightttt have in new game plus or even new game ++, however if want to wield the demon greataxe , strength wepons when wielded two handed have a 1.5 × your current strength stat modifier so you need a strength of 31(DGA needs 46) but really you should just experiment with different weapons move sets until you find something you like as you will be much more effective doing that then looking online for min- maxing which is only usefull in PVP which regardless of what weapon you use you'll be outmatched in right now as a new player, most if not all dark souls weapons are viable in PVE and thats one of the things that makes the game great and were alot of the fun of the game is brought out from

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You won't get near that strength stat til maybe half-way through NG+. I wind up settling on a Black Knight weapon if I'm lucky enough to see one drop but there's plenty of options in the base game to go for.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.