Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Dual Wielding, can it be done or is it just fantasy?

shamroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By shamroll

So a new commercial came out for dark souls showing some guy with 2 claws and full darkstalker armor, then shows that character running around killing things like it is no big deal and it is just as easy as any other combat combination. After playing and beating Dark Souls once already, I can't fathom the idea of playing without a shield. Maybe it would be possible if I memorized the game, was a master a parry and roll, and knew every encounter backwards and forwards. Even with that, there are so many attacks that you can't parry and attacks that feel near impossible to dodge or absorb without a shield to eat up most of the damage. The few times I tried to parry I had about a 50/50 chance of getting smashed in the face so it quickly became not worth it to me.

Has anyone actually played this way? With a weapon in both hands?

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Enigma777

Dual wielding daggers is tricky but not impossible. Once you remember each enemy's attack timing, parrying becomes a piece of cake (granted it takes a while to learn all of them - I still only know about 50% or so of them).

However parrying becomes completely useless when facing more than one enemy at once.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Someone came after me last night wieh duel Katanas. He died quickly.  

It could work if your damage output was enough to stagger them enough. But bosses would require lots of dodging. 

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It can be done, I've seen many gameplay videos where people pull it off quite well. Seems to involve a LOT of dodging in multi-enemy fights. However, it's something I would never try, no matter how cool it may look.

thefaulconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By thefaulconer

It's a steep learning curve to be sure. You have to roll. All the damn time. Or parry everything.

Or you can not get rid of your shield and instead run around with two like me. I just feel like such a fucking badass/dumbass when I do.

McQuinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By McQuinn

Parrying dagger is suh-weeeeeeeet. I just would rather block with a shield then roll around like an idiot when ever i'm attacked by something that can't be parried though :/ I personally don't know why people would duel wield the same weapon different ones will mix up the skillset.

EToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By EToaster

Wielding 2 of the same weapon isn't very practical. Dual wielding can actually be a fun alternative to a shield, though not really as useful, but you need to use a slow main-hand weapon, and compensate for it with a fast offhand weapon to cover the weakness of it. Things like whips, rapiers, fist weapons, and knives can be good offhands to complement things like ultra greatswords and large clubs.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

I tried it early on. It did not go for me. I wish it was more practical because I would totally duel wield.

Artois

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Artois

a good combo is Nito Sword in left hand and Lightning weap in the right one. you can stun the enemy with a Left attack and kill him istant with you right weapon. I tryed and its pretty cool, but if you fail a dodge u're dead. Also, Left Parrying dagger and right Chaos/lighning Bandit knife + the ring who improve your counterattak is fucking deadly. yes, you have to be in perfect timing, but the fun is infinite XD

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Nux

I tried dual wielding once, it did not end well. If you can get the dodgeing and parrying down then it could be done, it will be very hard but it could be done.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Jeffsekai

What does dual wielding add I'm assuming you can't attack with both weapons.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By Marz

you have to be real good at parrying and rolling to be effective in this game... in other words, dual wielding is not for beginners.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c69b4d231869
    deactivated-5c69b4d231869

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Marz said:

you have to be real good at parrying and rolling to be effective in this game... in other words, dual wielding is not for beginners.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By napalm

@shamroll said:

The few times I tried to parry I had about a 50/50 chance of getting smashed in the face so it quickly became not worth it to me.

Congratulations - this sentence has single-handedly sold me on Dark Souls. I will now buy it after work today.

slantedwindows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By slantedwindows

@McQuinn: farm the same enemies near a bonfire. i'm beating down the black knights in anor londo like they owe me money

McQuinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By McQuinn
    @slantedwindows why did you tell me this?
    Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#17  Edited By Chummy8

I can't see it being super effective in most scenarios, but in boss fights (where you probably won't be using a shield anyway) it might work out.

illegalnull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By illegalnull

@thefaulconer said:

It's a steep learning curve to be sure. You have to roll. All the damn time. Or parry everything.

Or you can not get rid of your shield and instead run around with two like me. I just feel like such a fucking badass/dumbass when I do.

Love this idea of running around with 2 shields! priceless...

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By handlas

mmm i duel wielded in Demons Souls...kinda. Hammer or blade in one hand and in the other hand I had this claw that would poison enemies. So...poison them and then play defensively until they would die. Was best for fighting real players I found because its pretty annoying when you would get poisoned.

Dunno about in Dark Souls.

IkariNoTekken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By IkariNoTekken

Caught in a landslide, no escape from reality.

Reuben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Reuben

Cast Iron Skin and dual wielding should be pretty easy to do.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By shirogane

I tried dual wielding crossbows and pyro hands, those are absolutely useless dual wielded. Some other weapons shouldn't be too bad though, it just means you're lacking the shield and have to dodge insteald of block.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.