Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

How the hell do you "unpatch" the PC version?

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By development

So fairly recently the dude who teased the "first-person" mod he made many months back finally decided to make a tutorial on how to do it. It's nothing difficult: install Cheat Engine, run the lua script the dude made, and you're done. But you need to have version 1.08 of the PC version for it to work.

My problem is that Steam automatically downloads the update alongside the game (or can you change that?) So that doesn't work. And I can't find a torrent of that old version, either. Yet, for this mod and for a few others, you're asked to use the "un-patched" version of the game. I've searched Google up and down, using all kinds of search terms, and can't find out how the heck they're doing it, which leads me to believe it's incredibly easy and I'm just missing something.

So, what am I missing? How do I get an un-patched version of the game? How stupid am I?

edit: I should also say that this wouldn't allow for disruption of the online community, because it'd be on a different version. And I only mention the torrent because I've obviously already bought the game on Steam (have it on PS3, too).

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By development

I proclaim this the first Dark Souls thread that hasn't accumulated 30 replies within its first 20 minutes. My frustration grows!

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I don't think you can simply "un-patch" Steam games.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

You can't.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Ravenlight

I'd guess that you'd have to find a torrent or something of the unpatched version and set Steam not to auto-update the game. You'd also likely run the game through it's .exe and not from Steam anyway.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By development

@ravenlight said:

I'd guess that you'd have to find a torrent or something of the unpatched version and set Steam not to auto-update the game. You'd also likely run the game through it's .exe and not from Steam anyway.

Yeah I rarely run games from Steam, anyway. Like I said, though, I can't find an unpatched torrent of the version I need (or anything earlier than the current version, really).

@believer258 said:

I don't think you can simply "un-patch" Steam games.

@alexw00d said:

You can't.

I kinda figured! Read the rest of the post, dudes :P Keep in mind that the PS3 and 360 versions are extremely easy to "unpatch," so it isn't crazy to think it's a possibility.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By development

Okay, I've PMed the mod creator on Youtube (I have little faith in getting a response), and posted a question in the comments (I expect nothing but insults and non-answers), so all I've left to do is bump this thread one last time. If I ever figure it out I'll update the OP with the answer, because currently this is like the 7th result when searched on Google. Pls help.

Blommer4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Blommer4

Praise the sun!

kyrieee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You have to disable auto updating as well as manually overwrite some files. I might have a backup of the old version, will check later.

kyrieee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By kyrieee

See if this helps

http://www.sendspace.com/file/e09x2p

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.