Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Ideas for making the game better

Grits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Grits

Ideas for making the game better:

1. Scale souls...every time you kill the same guy, you get less souls for that guy until you get 0.

2. Make upgraded weapons and armor better and cooler. Let me engrave/change the style/color as the level.

3. Don't let A.I. walk themselves off a cliff.

4. Make spells stronger a bit stronger and more useful. Decrease Pyro damage.

5. Make weapon scaling matter more.

6. Make the A.I. hip to the whole circle strafing thing and punish you for over using it.

jimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By jimi

Make STR / DEX weapons scale better compared to the elemental weapons now.

All the stuff about fixing AI patterns I wouldn't do, exploiting the game's AI and patterns is a huge part of the game.

Scaling souls would be terrible, a lot of people only get past certain areas of the game because every time they die they save up souls to level up.

Improve the FPS

senorfuzzeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By senorfuzzeh

@Jimi said:

All the stuff about fixing AI patterns I wouldn't do, exploiting the game's AI and patterns is a huge part of the game.

Hell yeah, letting fattys walk off cliffs while chasing me cuz I don't have anymore estus flasks is always great..

But on the note I don't think the game needs anything changed to make it better, all the things you mentioned are very minor compared to how amazingly brilliant and massive this game is.

I did making a forum on the story, saying it comes up a little half empty and I still agree on that but I still wouldnt change anything.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By probablytuna

@Jimi said:

Improve the FPS

Yeah this, the dip in frame rate is very annoying in most cases. That's the biggest criticism I have of the game so far.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

Assign a button to quick item drop.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By Humanity

Why would you decrease pyro damage when most of it has such a limited range and slow casting speed?

I think foremost right now is increasing the FPS especially Blighttown area and tweaking some minor issues like my stupid pole arms tracking issue or weapon scaling mattering a little more.

Making you get less souls each time you kill an enemy is just progression suicide. You would eventually not be able to keep up with leveling needs.

Psychos1s

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Psychos1s

I love the gameplay the way it is. I like having the freedom to grind if I choose. Therefore I wouldn't want the souls to diminish as I kill the same enemy over and over again.

I'd say improve the engine so the frames are more consistent. And while it is already towards the top of my favorite games of all time–what would be the icing on the cake for me is an actual story you care about. I thought the idea of the story was adequate but the way it was presented wasn't ideal. I went into this game for the gameplay so I didn't mind if the story was there or not. I'm just nitpicking and wanting that icing to my already delicious Funfetti Cake! :)

Edit:

I almost forgot. I'd like a radial quick inventory select. I can't think of the exact naming convention for it. But you know, when you hold a button down in other games and a circle appears with all of the weapons/gadgets appear and you can quick select the one you want. I don't know how many times I'd cycle through my spells and miss the one I want so have to cycle through it again while in the middle of battle and fighting for my life.

TerraMantis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By TerraMantis

Redistributing key functions should be in the options.

I don't like how "O" or "B" is for the run function. Sometimes i believe that the run function should be a top button; trigger or bumper. This way you are not using your right thumb to make you run. With the current unchangeable scheme it forces you to use your right thumb to run and take it off of the right joy-stick, thus not being able to use your thumb to spin the camera angle while running with the right joy-stick. It is a fault in the controller scheme i believe. I hold the controller very strangely to run and turn the camera simultaneously.

Small change, but i would like to see it happen.

Also, remove "Ring of Fog" from the game.

I used it for a while, i won't lie, and i used to get rocked by people with it on before i knew how to get my own, but that hasn't happened in a really long time. Now i destroy anyone with that thing on and i haven't used it in quite some time. It is a wasted ring slot. BUT, when i started a sorcerer an invader with Ring of Fog was even more game breaking for me. I was made essentially useless. Everyone knows the game has really awful aiming for spells when you cannot lock-on...and it is even worse for the INT spells that have no area of effect. Imagine trying to kill someone with only a bow and you can't go into the cross-hair view. Where is that spell going to shoot?...nobody has a clue. The ring removes one of the game's core mechanics and is completely cheap. Maybe they should give casters a ring that makes melee people get tied-up around their torso and can't swing their arms which they are then forced to only use kicks to vanquish their enemies. That would just about even out how lopsided Ring of Fog is against sorcery casters.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By cornbredx

@Grits said: 

1. Scale souls...every time you kill the same guy, you get less souls for that guy until you get 0.

I disagree with this. Depending on the character archetype you choose to play you need to level more on different characters so progression is different for everyone. This seems to be an intentional design choice and is one of the neater aspects of Dark Souls as it means any one can play at any pace and it is all viable.

2. Make upgraded weapons and armor better and cooler. Let me engrave/change the style/color as the level.

I do agree with that, some of the armor doesnt look great but had better stats, others look awesome but are stat wise terrible. I believe they did this intentionally. Just like humanity makes you look better if your in human, and ugly if you die, you have ot choose better but uglier gear or better looking gear but worse stats. Just a guess. It doesnt bother me though as I like the armor I choose to use anyway (which is generally mix and match).

Someone already said, but exploiting the AI is a boon when you're on a tough fight. I dont know that it's intentional though. I do think in some respects the AI could be smarter, but at the same time the game is kind of old school with the AI sometimes too- which I kinda like.

They're already stronger then melee from base- the down side is they are slower (and pyro is even slower then sorcerer) so the developer thought spells out pretty clearly and I think they work fine. Its more about learning the timing then making it stronger. You can make it stronger with stats or boosts (depending on whether you're pyro or sorcerer) anyway and it seems to scale the way it should.    

They are addressing this in an upcoming patch. It is not currently working the way it should.

6. Make the A.I. hip to the whole circle strafing thing and punish you for over using it.

This is a intentional design decision, and one I dont mind. Circle strafe is based on speed, faster enemies DONT fall for it, slower ones do. If you play a character that should back stab (a rogue or whatever) you will be faster then most enemies so you can backstab. So, I just disagree is all. 
    Just my thoughts. Most of these wouldn't make the game better as most of these things are intentional design decisions, some are just oddities of the franchise. A couple of them I do agree. =)
    DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By DoctorWelch

@TerraMantis said:

Redistributing key functions should be in the options.

I don't like how "O" or "B" is for the run function. Sometimes i believe that the run function should be a top button; trigger or bumper. This way you are not using your right thumb to make you run. With the current unchangeable scheme it forces you to use your right thumb to run and take it off of the right joy-stick, thus not being able to use your thumb to spin the camera angle while running with the right joy-stick. It is a fault in the controller scheme i believe. I hold the controller very strangely to run and turn the camera simultaneously.

Small change, but i would like to see it happen.

I agree, but I think it is sorta intentional not to be able to spin the camera while running. When you run you give up precision and perception for speed. I actually sorta like the feeling of not knowing how close, or if, the enemy is behind me when I'm running for dear life out of a location.

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By DoctorWelch

@Psychos1s said:

I almost forgot. I'd like a radial quick inventory select. I can't think of the exact naming convention for it. But you know, when you hold a button down in other games and a circle appears with all of the weapons/gadgets appear and you can quick select the one you want. I don't know how many times I'd cycle through my spells and miss the one I want so have to cycle through it again while in the middle of battle and fighting for my life.

This would be awesome. I'm not really using magic with my current character, but it was super frustrating to pass a spell and then have to cycle all the way back to it in Demon's Souls. I think the weapon select is fine the way it is, but I think holding down the spell changing button should bring up a list that you can choose through for more accurate cycling.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By EVO

Bonfires before bosses. This was especially painful at Lord Gwyn, having to run back to him for minutes, only to get destroyed in seconds. I had to resort to a guide.

DecadentPimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DecadentPimp

I would like to see the developers give in to the demands for co-op with friends, along with party chat. I appreciate that they want to create a certain atmosphere of anonymity and isolation with the game, and they are successful at doing so most of the time. But as a player who has now spent 50 hours with the game and knows exactly what to expect from it, much of its tension has dissipated, and i'm now spending my time worrying about things like level grinding, upgrading weapons and titanite farming instead. I would much rather do all this with a friend - I talk with him on MSN while playing anyway, so I go so far as to juggle my netbook and PS3 controller around (which is a major hassle as you might expect). We have also gone to painstaking lengths to play together, eg. leaving the sign in the right place, on the same server, and staying within 10% of each others level. I just feel that with all this effort we are putting in, it would be much easier, and infinitely more fun if From Software just made the online system slightly more relaxed.

Apart from that, I think the game is nearly perfect as is. The only other thing I yearn for is higher humanity drop rates!

TerraMantis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TerraMantis

@DecadentPimp

I agree with this for the most part. I too sit with my laptop next to me and i am on steam chat with friends regardless and on Xbox the private chat still works anyway so i think the whole no chat thing is just dumb. The part about the tension dissipating is dead on. I'm on NG++ now and i basically just blow through the entire game with an exception to the Four Kings. Maybe they should lighten the stipulations for joining other's games after NG. I do believe that nothing should change for your first play through. I love the idea of it almost being like a fantasy medieval melee survival horror where you're afraid to peak your head around the corner, but yes, in NG+ the game starts to become very barren. You begin to lose that interconnected, other dimension, corporeal non-corporeal feel the game tends to exude.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By shirogane

Letting you use both hands at the same time. Man, i was so stoked when i double equipped pyro flames and crossbows, only to find that it's EXACTLY THE SAME AS USING ONE!

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By McShank

Make the game longer?!? I dont see how it is hard to people anymore as I have beat demon's a dozen times and am halfway through NG++ and it still doesn't seem hard.

EToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By EToaster

@McShank: You should do some challenge runs then. Right now I'm going through on my NG++ character as Biorr from Demon's Souls--Crossbow in the left hand, Greatsword in the right, full Steel Armor (looks the most like Brushwood). It can make things a lot more challenging when you play with different strategies or debilitating restrictions. There's so much variety in equipment and abilities in this game that it's a shame to never use so much of it.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By McShank

@EToaster: I am. Just not on this character. I am going to do challenge runs on new characters since this character is pretty strong and it wont be much of a challenge even with a limitation like a Xbow and sword..

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By Nekroskop

The game is perfect. GotY!

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CptBedlam

@Grits said:

I actually agree with all of your points. It's minor stuff but it would make the game better.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By CptBedlam

@senorfuzzeh said:

@Jimi said:

Hell yeah, letting fattys walk off cliffs while chasing me cuz I don't have anymore estus flasks is always great..

Wait till some NPC decides to walk off a cliff and breaks your covenant, forcing you to farm 100k+ souls if you ever want to join it again.

And speaking about farming: the suicidal-npc-forest-farming-exploit just breaks the game.

Pieman51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Pieman51

Umm. We could do it logically.

1. Make it so that ragequitting can't corrupt your save file. This is better for EVERYONE.

2. Bosses like Gwyn and Demon Firesage either need to have lowered defense against everything, or nerfed entirely.

3. New Game +2 and so on should scale by +12 difficulty just like NG+, instead of the usual +7. It would be a lot more challenging.

4. Every enemy should drop a "Nameless soldiers soul" or something along those lines A LOT MORE OFTEN.

5. Remove "Secret Bonfires". No game should have a highly recommended or even a REQUIRED secret.

6. Allow Channelers to respawn. They're fun to kill.

7. Make a fucking jump button. You promised jumping, and all you gave us was a fucking jump-evade tactic. It's not even a jump button.

8. Make Gwyn have stamina. Seriously, the guy CANNOT stop swinging that damn sword.

9. Make enemy-grabbing animations shorter. We get that he's sucking our blood, we don't need a 10-second cutscene for it everytime.

10. Make boss souls give MORE souls. Seriously, I spent almost an hour on a boss, we all deserve better.

11. Lagging is clearly a serious issue. I've lagged a lot in this game, and actually died during a boss fight because of it.

12. Speaking of boss fights, if you WON'T nerf Gwyn, then GIVE HIM LESS HEALTH.

13. What is this ( Bad Roll - Fluid Roll - Ninja Roll) bullcrap?

14. 99 Endurance with Havel's Ring and Ring of Favor and Protection, and I still can't roll like a ninja with full havel? This is retarded, and unfair.

15. I'm on #15 now. Yeah.

16. What the fuck is this "Phalanx" in The Painting World of Ariamis?? Sure it's more realistic, but it looks mentally retarded. Please fix.

17. Give us a ring that keeps our shit on death and DOESNT break. OP'ed I know, but it's a fucking tease to make it a one-time-use.

18. Why can the upgraded Hydra FLY? Seriously. The hydra can't even fucking move in the Greek Lore. Get your facts right.

19. If you make a trilogy, DO NOT NAME IT "Dead Souls". This whole SERIES revolves around DEAD THINGS. It would be retarded and repetitive.

20. Why does a noob boss take down half my health at 99 Vitality? Like... HOW?!

* So ends my rant. Probably pointless, and will be trolled for it, but Idc. I'm not feeding any assholes. Haters gonna hate.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By CptBedlam

@Pieman51: For at least half of those points you deserve to be trolled.

Pieman51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Pieman51

@CptBedlam: Typically anyone with a valid and insensical post would get more ratings than my own. Please tell me if you though my idea of Nerfing Gwyn was bad or not.

Frankly, I use Lightning weapons on Gwyn. No effect.

Regular Weapons. No effect.

Fucking magic weapons, NO EFFECT. (by no effect, I mean like 80-150 damage).

Im at Soul Leve 242 with 40 strength, and a shit ton of endurance. HOW in the fuck could anyone disagree with how utterly fucking retarded that is?

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By CptBedlam

@Pieman51: What playthrough are you on? My Zweihander +15 had quite an effect on him.

Pieman51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Pieman51

@CptBedlam: I also use a combination of heavy weapons, but this was on my first playthrough. I mean damn man, at 40 strength, at least ONE of these weapons should be doing 200+

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By CptBedlam

@Pieman51 said:

@CptBedlam: I also use a combination of heavy weapons, but this was on my first playthrough. I mean damn man, at 40 strength, at least ONE of these weapons should be doing 200+

I fought him with 37 Str and the jump attack of my +15 Zweihander did over 600 damage. The riposte attack over 900.

Did you reinforce and ascend your weapons?

Also, supposedly he is vulnerable to fire.

And SL 242? Holy fuck ... I'm starting NG+ and I am SL 77.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @EVO said:

Bonfires before bosses. This was especially painful at Lord Gwyn, having to run back to him for minutes, only to get destroyed in seconds. I had to resort to a guide.

Yeah. There's a fine line between difficult and frustrating. I realize you can get the route and enemies down to a quickly traversable science but sometimes, you just really want to try that boss again NOW.
    CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By CptBedlam

@ProfessorEss said:

@EVO said:

Yeah. There's a fine line between difficult and frustrating. I realize you get the route and enemies down to a quickly traversable science but sometimes, you just really want to try that boss again NOW.

That's one of the trademarks of this game (and even more of Demon's Souls). I you could just retry the bosses instantly, it would take away a lot from the appeal and the difficulty. The way it is now, it makes every try count even more. You have to play more carefully.

Pieman51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Pieman51

@CptBedlam: Yeah, all my weapons are practically at +4, with lightning damage

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By CptBedlam

@Pieman51 said:

@CptBedlam: Yeah, all my weapons are practically at +4, with lightning damage

You can't expect anything in this game to be vulnerable to lightning damage. It's crazy (too) powerful but thank god not in every situation. You should've diversified your weapons a little more.

And as I said: you can damage him with standard weapons (standard reinforcement) a lot and I read that he is vulnerable to fire.

Here's an idea for making the game better btw:

- nerf lightning damage A LOT, it's too powerful, makes part of the game cheap and flat-out ruins pvp

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#32  Edited By Lunar_Aura

riposte multiple enemies. Get a kebab going up in this shiz

gerrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By gerrid

@Pieman51: You should try Fable.

skurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By skurk

@Pieman51 said:

Umm. We could do it logically.

1. Make it so that ragequitting can't corrupt your save file. This is better for EVERYONE.

2. Bosses like Gwyn and Demon Firesage either need to have lowered defense against everything, or nerfed entirely.

3. New Game +2 and so on should scale by +12 difficulty just like NG+, instead of the usual +7. It would be a lot more challenging.

4. Every enemy should drop a "Nameless soldiers soul" or something along those lines A LOT MORE OFTEN.

5. Remove "Secret Bonfires". No game should have a highly recommended or even a REQUIRED secret.

6. Allow Channelers to respawn. They're fun to kill.

7. Make a fucking jump button. You promised jumping, and all you gave us was a fucking jump-evade tactic. It's not even a jump button.

8. Make Gwyn have stamina. Seriously, the guy CANNOT stop swinging that damn sword.

9. Make enemy-grabbing animations shorter. We get that he's sucking our blood, we don't need a 10-second cutscene for it everytime.

10. Make boss souls give MORE souls. Seriously, I spent almost an hour on a boss, we all deserve better.

11. Lagging is clearly a serious issue. I've lagged a lot in this game, and actually died during a boss fight because of it.

12. Speaking of boss fights, if you WON'T nerf Gwyn, then GIVE HIM LESS HEALTH.

13. What is this ( Bad Roll - Fluid Roll - Ninja Roll) bullcrap?

14. 99 Endurance with Havel's Ring and Ring of Favor and Protection, and I still can't roll like a ninja with full havel? This is retarded, and unfair.

15. I'm on #15 now. Yeah.

16. What the fuck is this "Phalanx" in The Painting World of Ariamis?? Sure it's more realistic, but it looks mentally retarded. Please fix.

17. Give us a ring that keeps our shit on death and DOESNT break. OP'ed I know, but it's a fucking tease to make it a one-time-use.

18. Why can the upgraded Hydra FLY? Seriously. The hydra can't even fucking move in the Greek Lore. Get your facts right.

19. If you make a trilogy, DO NOT NAME IT "Dead Souls". This whole SERIES revolves around DEAD THINGS. It would be retarded and repetitive.

20. Why does a noob boss take down half my health at 99 Vitality? Like... HOW?!

* So ends my rant. Probably pointless, and will be trolled for it, but Idc. I'm not feeding any assholes. Haters gonna hate.

Sounds like you want a completely different game, a game that's a lot more balanced towards an easy playthrough.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#35  Edited By Chummy8

Allow more than 2 weapon/shield slots.

TerraMantis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TerraMantis

@Pieman51 said:

Please tell me if you though my idea of Nerfing Gwyn was bad or not.

Gwyn is one if the easiest bosses in the game. He does not need to be "nerfed" at all. Basically every boss in the game can be smoked with a combination of a hard-hitting weapon and Iron Flesh. Literally the only boss you cannot use this combination on is Smough and Oreinstien because they do lightning damage which is multiplied greatly when Iron Flesh is active. When i beat Gwyn, solo, in NG++ i was SL 145 and using a +5 Black Knight Greataxe with iron flesh turned on. Put on gear that makes your stamina regenerate very quickly ie. Pinwheel child mask, Cloarthy ring, and Grass Crest Shield. The BK Greataxe locks him up on every second hit by making him stagger with a momentary stun effect which can be maintained over and over by swinging non-stop. I had 50 str. You MIGHT have to back off one time and refresh iron flesh and switch to a tower shield if need be.

Gwyn is actually a huge disappointment to me because of how extremely easy i thought he was. The boss that he is basically fashioned as a carbon copy after from Demon's Souls was much more difficult. And, when that boss grabbed you...his grab attack stole soul levels from you. Imagine fighting him then it randomly taking a level away from you and now you dont have enough strength or dexterity to wield that weapon or shield you have equipped. Now, THAT'S overpowered.

Lastly, i don't agree with 90% of the things you mentioned. Many of the things you stated are part of what makes the "Souls franchise" the envy of many of it's competitors through sophistication and complexities.

A ring that doesn't break and you don't lose anything...why have the bloodstain mechanic at all?

99 end? If you got your endurance to 1000 you still wouldn't be flipping anywhere. Sheva of the East is guarded by a translucent ninja...kill him, get your cartwheel ring. Ta da.

Hydras cannot fly? They're making their own lore. Who cares? God forbid there to be wiggle room in fables from 1000 years ago in ancient Greece. You want to get right down to it...Hydras have 5 heads. Look it up. I think the ones in DS have 8. One could argue it is not even a hydra if you want to be like that. OR, they actually had 5-100 heads, who knows what it actually is? Maybe it's not flying. Maybe it just has a lovely graceful jump like a flying squirrel of death with 8 dragon heads. You probably didn't know that did you? It is actually a hybrid between a squirrel and a snake.

Give Gwyn less health (how is that not a nerf by the way?), make phalanx thing look different, take out secrets, Give Gwyn less stamina? What game are you playing? Did you expect something different? You sound like you want an easy difficulty option tacked onto a game that hopefully everyone by now should know will not have one. Well, at least for Gwyn it would seem you do.

They do need to maximize the game's engine for better frames per second and some bosses do give out some ultimately lousy amount of souls. I will agree with that. But, overall many of the things you're pointing out are extremely trivial at best or not objective.

Anywho, regardless, i hope that description helps you take Gwyn out a little more easilyierer because he truly is not that difficult of an encounter. And, maybe you'll be flipping around in no time now.

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#37  Edited By galiant

I haven't even played the game, but from all I've read, it's not hard to suggest improvements: Preventing deaths caused by framerate issues, bad camera or bugs/glitches, i.e. polishing the game more. It could probably also use a better translator. In a game this punishing, the last thing you want is a cheap death that wasn't intended.

Other than that, it's doing exactly what it's supposed to be doing for the target audience it's aiming for. I'm not really part of that crowd.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By jozzy

One of my beefs with the game is the Ring of Favor and Protection. It's way too useful to not wear it and it breaks when you unequip it. Which means you only have one slot open for rings while there are so many great ones.

@TerraMantis said:

@Pieman51 said:

Gwyn is one if the easiest bosses in the game. He does not need to be "nerfed" at all. Basically every boss in the game can be smoked with a combination of a hard-hitting weapon and Iron Flesh. Literally the only boss you cannot use this combination on is Smough and Oreinstien because they do lightning damage which is multiplied greatly when Iron Flesh is active. When i beat Gwyn, solo, in NG++ i was SL 145 and using a +5 Black Knight Greataxe with iron flesh turned on. Put on gear that makes your stamina regenerate very quickly ie. Pinwheel child mask, Cloarthy ring, and Grass Crest Shield. The BK Greataxe locks him up on every second hit by making him stagger with a momentary stun effect which can be maintained over and over by swinging non-stop. I had 50 str. You MIGHT have to back off one time and refresh iron flesh and switch to a tower shield if need be.

As someone who didn't have Iron Flesh (and couldn't get it anymore at that point), and is crappy at parrying I thought this boss was extremely tough. Using my playstyle which worked perfectly the rest of the game (circle strafe and block, backstab if possible) didn't work very well against him. Had to summon someone in to help me because I tried at least 30 times and couldn't even get him past half health. Every boss has an easy strategy to defeat him if you meet certain requirements, doesn't make this boss the easiest in general... I'd say he is up there as the hardest together with O&S.

EDIT: not saying he should be nerfed, just don't agree that he is easy.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By CptBedlam

@jozzy said:

One of my beefs with the game is the Ring of Favor and Protection. It's way too useful to not wear it and it breaks when you unequip it. Which means you only have one slot open for rings while there are so many great ones.

@TerraMantis said:

@Pieman51 said:

As someone who didn't have Iron Flesh (and couldn't get it anymore at that point), and is crappy at parrying I thought this boss was extremely tough. Using my playstyle which worked perfectly the rest of the game (circle strafe and block, backstab if possible) didn't work very well against him. Had to summon someone in to help me because I tried at least 30 times and couldn't even get him past half health. Every boss has an easy strategy to defeat him if you meet certain requirements, doesn't make this boss the easiest in general... I'd say he is up there as the hardest together with O&S.

1. The ring of favor and protection is working just as intended. You're supposed to make that difficult choice because it's a powerful ring. If you could just wear it forever, that'd defeat the purpose of the game. It's a matter of last resort when you have a shit ton of souls and don't want to lose them. Actually, I never used any of those rings and accumulated 6 or 7 of them throughout the game. And I think it's pretty awesome how this game makes me choose and re-evaluate my equipment over and over again depending on the situation. In most other games, you forget about your old equipment as soon as you find new and better stuff. But in this game, lots of items serve specific purposes and come in handy at different times in the game. This is great game design in my opionion. No other game in recent years made me think about my equipment as much as DS did.

2. I didn't get the Iron Flesh spell because the Pyromancer guy went to Blighttown before I bought it and the final boss took me maybe 10 tries. It's not that bad. Gwyn is totally doable with a normal fighting strategy. You just have to know when it's safe to attack and when to back off. You can even counter his attacks with a riposte.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By jozzy

@CptBedlam said:

@jozzy said:

@TerraMantis said:

@Pieman51 said:

1. The ring of favor and protection is working just as intended. You're supposed to make that difficult choice because it's a powerful ring. If you could just wear it forever, that'd defeat the purpose of the game. It's a matter of last resort when you have a shit ton of souls and don't want to lose them. Actually, I never used any of those rings and accumulated 6 or 7 of them throughout the game. And I think it's pretty awesome how this game makes me choose and re-evaluate my equipment over and over again depending on the situation. In most other games, you forget about your old equipment as soon as you find new and better stuff. But in this game, lots of items serve specific purposes and come in handy at different times in the game. This is great game design in my opionion. No other game in recent years made me think about my equipment as much as DS did.

2. I didn't get the Iron Flesh spell because the Pyromancer guy went to Blighttown before I bought it and the final boss took me maybe 10 tries. It's not that bad. Gwyn is totally doable with a normal fighting strategy. You just have to know when it's safe to attack and when to back off. You can even counter his attacks with a riposte.

I think you are confused with the rings of sacrifice, the ring of favor and protection does not safe your souls it boosts your health and how much you can carry.

"A ring symbolizing the favor and protection of the goddess Fina, known in legend to prossess "fateful beauty"."

Effect

Boosts HP, stamina and equip load by 20%. Breaks when removed.

EDIT: And I mentioned I suck at parrying. I couldn't fight him normally myself ,he just kept attacking and I couldn't keep my stamina up. I am sure it's possible but I couldn't do it.

Kazzurak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Kazzurak

@Grits:

@ nr 6: Yeah sure lets make the AI learn your patterns so that at some point you simply cant beat the AI unless you somehow become mentally handicapped so the AI wont have the slightest chance of reading your moves!

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Azteck

Most things I'd want changed, or fixed, are mostly technical stuff; like the frame rate or low textures and so on. I'm completely fine otherwise.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By CptBedlam

@jozzy said:

@CptBedlam said:

@jozzy said:

@TerraMantis said:

@Pieman51 said:

I think you are confused with the rings of sacrifice, the ring of favor and protection does not safe your souls it boosts your health and how much you can carry.

"A ring symbolizing the favor and protection of the goddess Fina, known in legend to prossess "fateful beauty"."

Effect

Boosts HP, stamina and equip load by 20%. Breaks when removed.

EDIT: And I mentioned I suck at parrying. I couldn't fight him normally myself ,he just kept attacking and I couldn't keep my stamina up. I am sure it's possible but I couldn't do it.

True, but the same goes for that ring as well. It's even more powerful. You're meant to make that hard decision.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

I want the fuck the Gaping Dragon.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By jozzy

@CptBedlam: Who doesn't want 20% more health and stamina and 20% less equip load. I bet 80% of the players are wearing that ring. I think that is a bad design decision. Not saying they should make it re-equipable as it is, maybe make it less powerful and re-equipable or superpowerful but it breaks when you die. So many rings are not used right now because they are very situationaland you only have one slot available, at least that was my experience.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By CptBedlam

@jozzy: I never wore it. It's Havel's Ring and the Serpent Ring that boosts item discovery for me.

And if I get invaded, I'll probably put on the lightning def ring.

Zombiegolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Zombiegolden

@LordXavierBritish said:

I want the fuck the Gaping Dragon.

you what? dude tmi! wtf?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.