Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Pyromancer + Armor

buneroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By buneroid

I'm playing a pyromancer and I'm about 10 hours into the game. I'm in the sewers at the moment and I'm starting to question myself for using the same robes the pyromancer starts off the game with the whole time. Is there any reason to not be using heavier armor on a pyromancer (besides the fact you move slower)? Does heavier armor in this game have any negative effects towards magic?

uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By uniform

I'm playing a Pyromancer too. I didn't look too into it, but that starter armor looked like it was only good for magic defense. I didn't see anything to indicate it makes you a better Pyromancer. I'm using a Balders set, which is a lot heavier. I"m level 20 and I have yet to discover anything that effects your Fire spell. I'd start investing in some armor that lowers physical damage taken.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

@Buneroid: Pyromancy is completely unaffected by armor and stats. You can upgrade your pyromancy flame to do more damage once you save the pyro trainer (who is in the sewers, coincidentally) though. So if you feel the need, layer it on. If you go to Darkroot Garden (run past the miniboss just past the blacksmith if you can't kill it) and take the fork in the road just after the first enemy which leads to a long vertical passage (you'll enter Darkroot Basin part way down), there's some good armor there. I forget if that's where I got the leather or the elite knight set but either would be more protection than whatever robe the pryomancer starts with.
    buneroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By buneroid

@SuperfluousMoniker: Ya I've been to darkroot as well and I'm pretty sure I have the elite armor. So should I start upgrading armor as well or do you keep finding better armor pretty quick? Sorry for all the questions haha and thanks for letting me know about the trainer, I've been rolling around with the same spell for a while!

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

@Buneroid

That's actually a question I've been considering myself. I just got Havel's ring which gives me enough equip load to wear the entire elite knight armor set and still be under 50% load, which is awesome, so I'm considering upgrading that. Since you can purchase the regular titanite from the blacksmith, it seems like a decent idea, and armor sets are fairly hard to come by in Dark Souls. When I played Demon's Souls I used the same armor practically the entire game, so I don't expect to be switching too much at all. Maybe don't upgrade the helmet because if you're going to replace anything it's probably that.
    McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By McShank

I just finished the sewers and so far am running around with part elite knight, the crazy merchants helm form the sewers and dark leather (Poison). I thought it was weird that the Lether gloves are alot better then the elite knights gloves which should be plate.. hell the thiefs gloves are better. I am at 23 / 85.5 but dont have that quick roll yet, still have that sluggish feeling which in demon's souls would be gone at this weight :( If you dont like your armor as pyro, just change it to something with better stats, but I do know that there is a pyro who keeps invading me when im trying to turn human and run to the boss to summon that is wearing the same armor he started with.. and hes a prick as he seems to only invade me as i wait to let him go somewhere else but yet as soon as im human he is there.. If you hit the pace of where your roll looks more like your tripped and hit your head then you are to slow. Armor doesn't help spells but it does make a difference in if you will live in a fight or not as your roll is as important as backstabbing if your melee.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Bocam

@SuperfluousMoniker: Don't waste any money upgrading the elite knight armor, it's not worth it as after you ring the second bell you'll be able to find one of the best armor sets in the game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.