Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Pyromancer: Gear / Status Checkpoint *Spoilers

anticucho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By anticucho

So my pyro is SL23, just beat the lower depths (gaping dragon) and got about 22k souls after upgrading flame to +4. I ran and got the Crimson Robe and also have the Drake Sword with Knight Shield. The only other pyromancy I have is Iron Flesh. I dont' know what to spend these souls on... leveling up or maybe getting 2xFire Orbs for a total of 16,000 souls. My stats are mostly Endurance with some Vitality. Anyway, I sorta prefer the melee route with pyro as a supplement. I plan to tackle Darkroot zones next. So, basically I'm looking for some guidance on what I can upgrade next and any suggestions for weapons I can go after to follow the great Drake Sword as I realize it's nearing its end. Thanks!

Tenryu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Tenryu

@anticucho: I would personally spend 20k to open the heart of the forest so you can get the infamous cliff farming spot opened up and farm to your heart's content. It basically lets you skip the sucky parts of the forest and nets you back your souls pretty quick. About 6-7k every 30-45 seconds if you get good at it ;3!

The main thing about pyromancy is it's not stat dependent on any of its scaling, the strength of it is based solely on the upgrade level your catalyst is at. Later when you upgrade it shows an S on the flame, but that's only for the R2 punch with it... so don't be fooled into thinking it scales!

Since you have a higher endurance I would make sure to have a strong shield of some type, and then look into a good one hand weapon. Spears are good if you like the block+poke type of gameplay, but a useful 1h sword may be more to your preference. If you've got a master key you may want to swing by the Valley of Drakes shortcut after taking the elevator down from Fire Link to pick up the Dragon Crest Shield under the Plague Dragon as well as the Astora Straight sword that is there which is good if you have the faith to use it.

In terms of pyromancy spells you may find useful, Fire Orb is your go to spell for a while, which I recommend to get after unlocking the heart of the forest. It has good range, wind up time, and has a fairly good amount of AoE. Some people prefer the combustion spells but I'm not a fan of the range on them myself. For my advice though, unless you have a goal in mind for something to unlock with stats, don't level up. A lot of people make the mistake to just level up without a goal in mind, and you tend to blow stat points this way. Attunement to 14 is amazing because it gives you 3 spell casting slots, endurance to 40 eventually, and vitality to a maximum of 40-49 for an end character total. Past these values the scaling on them fails hard unless you're going for equip weight on endurance. Str/dex only as necessary for desired item equips as well. Once you unlock the heart of the forest you basically get free control over your character growth so plan accordingly!

anticucho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By anticucho

@Tenryu said:

@anticucho: I would personally spend 20k to open the heart of the forest so you can get the infamous cliff farming spot opened up and farm to your heart's content. It basically lets you skip the sucky parts of the forest and nets you back your souls pretty quick. About 6-7k every 30-45 seconds if you get good at it ;3!

The main thing about pyromancy is it's not stat dependent on any of its scaling, the strength of it is based solely on the upgrade level your catalyst is at. Later when you upgrade it shows an S on the flame, but that's only for the R2 punch with it... so don't be fooled into thinking it scales!

Since you have a higher endurance I would make sure to have a strong shield of some type, and then look into a good one hand weapon. Spears are good if you like the block+poke type of gameplay, but a useful 1h sword may be more to your preference. If you've got a master key you may want to swing by the Valley of Drakes shortcut after taking the elevator down from Fire Link to pick up the Dragon Crest Shield under the Plague Dragon as well as the Astora Straight sword that is there which is good if you have the faith to use it.

In terms of pyromancy spells you may find useful, Fire Orb is your go to spell for a while, which I recommend to get after unlocking the heart of the forest. It has good range, wind up time, and has a fairly good amount of AoE. Some people prefer the combustion spells but I'm not a fan of the range on them myself. For my advice though, unless you have a goal in mind for something to unlock with stats, don't level up. A lot of people make the mistake to just level up without a goal in mind, and you tend to blow stat points this way. Attunement to 14 is amazing because it gives you 3 spell casting slots, endurance to 40 eventually, and vitality to a maximum of 40-49 for an end character total. Past these values the scaling on them fails hard unless you're going for equip weight on endurance. Str/dex only as necessary for desired item equips as well. Once you unlock the heart of the forest you basically get free control over your character growth so plan accordingly!

Thanks so much. I did not know about that forest farming spot. I forgot I had the claymore and I read upgrading it to +5 lightning might be my best bet. I'll definitely unlock the forest and get the fire orbs. Great advice, thank you.

Tenryu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Tenryu

@anticucho: Anytime ;3! I would recommend going to +4 on the lightning upgrades till you find a weapon you really like, it takes a titanite slab to do so which are pretty rare. Also you can't do it till you get to the blacksmith in Anor Londo :( You can make fire with the blacksmith in the catacombs or divine weapons from the blacksmith who sells the heart of the forest entry key, the key of artorias. Lightning/fire are the reigning champs for damage right now though, lightning more so since there's fewer enemies with resistance to it.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By Humanity

Instead of the forest farming spot you might as well go down to the Ash Lake and do the soul glitch which is way wayyyy faster.

The only difference being you might get all drunk with souls and get up to some crazy Soul Levels while the forest farming will eventually start being useless. I mean at one point you can kill them as quick as it is to run them back.

I used that forest to get my STR from 33 to 40 so I can use some equipment and honestly I've no clue how people grind out 30+ levels in there. I was insanely bored after those 7 and just went ahead and killed Sif and got on with my game.

anticucho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By anticucho

Well I used the Dark Garden forest farming spot to great effect. I got my flame to +10 now and got 1 flame orb to go with my fire ball. I assume I need to wait for the next Pyro trainer to get 6 more fire orbs. I got the Crimson armor + the Elite Knight armor. I love the look of the Elite Knight armor but not its weight. So I figured I'd try a new method on Havel who just owns me because I'm so bad at the strafing technique. I pulled him all the way back up to the top and went out the door part way down the steps. Havel comes out, takes one swing, and I fire orb him for about 350 damage. He goes back into the tower. I go back up and lure him back out and repeat. It took exactly 5 orbs with a +10 flame. Now I have elite knight armor and am < 50% endurance load.

I went and picked up the Dragon Crest Shield and Astora Sword as suggested. I have only 8 faith so I don't know if i want to farm to pump that up to 14. Is the sword worth it or are there any others that I could go after? I'm about ready to pick back up the campaign now and finish Dark Root Garden then head into Blight Town next. It was pretty fun spending a few hours upgrading though... I feel powerful with the +10 flame. I am too lazy to go farm more to get it to +15.

Tenryu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Tenryu

@anticucho: The sword is kinda meh unless you have higher faith, but it's a easy way to get a blessed weapon early on. If you want an easy way to get 30% more magic damage then go get the bellowing dragon crest ring from the sorcerer trainer you save from a room nearby on the way to the Capra Demon, it works with pyro woo! Costs 20k though, the key to unlock him is purchased from the merchant in the Undead Burg area where you roll to break the crates near the beginning of it.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Marz

I'd say go kill quelaag and get the armor from Ceaseless Discharge, the gold hemmed set.   This will probably be the best light armor you will get in the game and it's not hard at all.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By jozzy

@Marz said:

I'd say go kill quelaag and get the armor from Ceaseless Discharge, the gold hemmed set. This will probably be the best light armor you will get in the game and it's not hard at all.

But the crimson robe is so fittingly stylish for a pyro!

Cootsnoop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Cootsnoop

Im a pyro but i definitely feel like im wasting my souls on leveling up. I just beat the gaping dragon or whatever in depths. I have the drake sword and some shitty armor. I dont really know what to do next. I dont know where the forrest is at an i dont think i want to go the the area that depths unlock yet... Blighttown i think its called. And how the hell do i upgrade my magic or get new spells? I leveled up enough to unlock another attunement slot but i dont know what that even means.

anticucho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By anticucho

@Cootsnoop said:

Im a pyro but i definitely feel like im wasting my souls on leveling up. I just beat the gaping dragon or whatever in depths. I have the drake sword and some shitty armor. I dont really know what to do next. I dont know where the forrest is at an i dont think i want to go the the area that depths unlock yet... Blighttown i think its called. And how the hell do i upgrade my magic or get new spells? I leveled up enough to unlock another attunement slot but i dont know what that even means.

While progressing through the Depths after the butchers you should have come across a guy trapped in a bunch of barrels. If you freed him he will be at the Firelink Shrine waiting for you. He's a pyro trianer. Go to his Purchase Items menu and there you can upgrade your Pyromancer Flame as high as +15. This makes an enormous difference in damage. I went from +1 to +10 and basically 5 shotted Havel the Rock with 5 fire orbs. You can also buy another Fireball spell and equip/attune it to a free slot thus giving you 16 fireballs. You can also purchase Fire Orb and Iron Flesh. At SL 28 I have 3 slots. 16 Fireballs , 6 Fire Orbs and 3 Iron Flesh. Thoes Stone Knights in Darkroot Garden go down to about 5% health after a single Fire Orb.

Now, the Drake Sword is just fine for now. I'm still using it as I've now beaten Darkroot Garden/Basin and am finally ready to head into Blight Town. You might want to take @Tenryu's advice and rush down into Valley of the Drakes and grab the Dragon Crest Shield. Maybe search on Youtube for a guide how to rush it. It's really easy. From there you can search Youtube for now to rush into Blight Town to grab the Crimson armor set. You can also pick up the Elite Knight armor from Darkroot Garden which is very easy to obtain.

Regarding the Heart of the Forest farming area. Search Youtube for it. I found a simple guide on how to do it. You need to find the first bonfire in Darkroot Garden next to an locked door. You buy the key/crest from the Blacksmith before entering darkroot garden.

I hope that helps you out a bit.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.