Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Some PvP questions

James5955

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By James5955

I've been doing a fair bit of PvP lately but I've been losing some of them due to fighting guys that usually have another phantom, and are using wikid spells. I've been ignoring spell casting for the longest time, the only spell I ever use is Fireorb and rarely use it in PvP. What spells do you guys find best for PvP and how do you acquire them? One spell I'm interested in is the stone golem spell that slows enemies in the area down massively and makes their stamina regen slower. When I get hit by this and have a guy constantly mauling at my shield I never stand a chance. It's nice when I find a fight where one guy has ordinary spells like I do, but when I encounter some of these other guys it's like their spells alone beat me.

Some of these spells seem to be very fast casting, and cause insane amounts of damage, I've got about 1k HP and wearing good armor (I think? some black iron with gold-hemmed) but still these spells eat me alive.

Maybe it's a flaw with my playstyle, playing too defensively.

edit: Ran into another spell that seems ridiculous.. Person seems to blow fire on me, doesnt' have much range but the damage is astrocious and the cast time/recovery is insane. Some guy just smoked me by spamming it over and over, didn't have time to do anything between casts. This is really turning me off from PvP.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By LordXavierBritish

That spell is called Tranquil Walk of Peace and it's a miracle, so unless you are building Faith you won't be able to use it. It's pretty fucking overpowered IMO and I think it's really not fun at all and ruins PvP encounters, but if you want to go find and use it go ahead.

That flamethrower spell is most likely Firesurge which you can find in the Painted World of Aramis.

Dark Souls PvP is really a lot more about offense than it is defense, at least stationary defense. If you want to play defensively you're going to need some really fucking sick armor and a lot of endurance and stamina as well as a weapon that hits hard in a wide sweep. Most people prefer to play fast and light though, using the best light armor they can find and dodging and poking at their opponent. That's why the Gold Hemmed set is so popular.

Really though it is mostly dependent on what kind of character you want to play. People are still figuring out what works so almost anything is viable as long as you are skillful at the game.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By McShank

@LordXavierBritish said:

That spell is called Tranquil Walk of Peace and it's a miracle, so unless you are building Faith you won't be able to use it. It's pretty fucking overpowered IMO and I think it's really not fun at all and ruins PvP encounters, but if you want to go find and use it go ahead. That flamethrower spell is most likely Firesurge which you can find in the Painted World of Aramis. Dark Souls PvP is really a lot more about offense than it is defense, at least stationary defense. If you want to play defensively you're going to need some really fucking sick armor and a lot of endurance and stamina as well as a weapon that hits hard in a wide sweep. Most people prefer to play fast and light though, using the best light armor they can find and dodging and poking at their opponent. That's why the Gold Hemmed set is so popular. Really though it is mostly dependent on what kind of character you want to play. People are still figuring out what works so almost anything is viable as long as you are skillful at the game.

Seriously, fuck that spell. I have a +5 quelaag furysword, wearing Havel's armor and have the quick roll ( I have a shit ton of endurance) and I have the chaos great fireball which is doing easily 800+ damage since i upgraded the shit outta my pyro flame and yet when someone hits me with that tranquil walk bullshit and i somehow cant seem to even bring my shield up i get 2 shot by the lightning spear bullshit. They need to either implement something in the game to neutralize that or at least nerf the shit outta it so if you have a high resistance to something it wears off faster. Maybe if i put even more points into endurance and put on havels shield i will live longer since that thing is a monster for resistance's.

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By tekmojo

Ring of fog is a great way to play tricks on your opponent. I'm a Paladin type and I just let em in close, circle around and do backstabs. Flame resistance needs to go up a bit, and lightning fucks me up good, but otherwise with my armor and weapon setup I'm doing quite well for myself, once I get some good oriented gear I'll wreck shop...hopefully.

James5955

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By James5955

So Firesurge huh? I'll have to look into getting that, and a few other fire spells. I got killed by another guy spamming firesurge the other day, kept trying to roll out of it, smashing circle relentlessly but my guy couldn't react fast enough. Stun locked by a spell that only takes a few casts to kill me and has the same range as my PvP weapon of choice, so lame...

@tekmojo
    said:

Ring of fog is a great way to play tricks on your opponent. I'm a Paladin type and I just let em in close, circle around and do backstabs. Flame resistance needs to go up a bit, and lightning fucks me up good, but otherwise with my armor and weapon setup I'm doing quite well for myself, once I get some good oriented gear I'll wreck shop...hopefully.

Lol ya seems a lot of people have that ring. Sometimes when I invade a persons world I run around a little bit then I spin the camera around to check my back and I can see the person chasing me. One guy thought I didn't see him so I ran past him, ran up the steps that he was next to and drop attacked him.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By imsh_pl

I hate that flamethrower spell so much.

Nadril

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Nadril

That slow spell fucking pisses me off so much. I've been doing a bit of pvp lately and people with that and just a big 2H is the stupidest shit ever.  

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.